Start by marking “Das Schweigen der Lämmer (Bild-Bestseller-Bibliothek, #8)” as Want to Read:
Das Schweigen der Lämmer (Bild-Bestseller-Bibliothek, #8)

Das Schweigen der Lämmer (Hannibal Lecter #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  334,911 Ratings  ·  3,219 Reviews
Die Verfilmung von Das Schweigen der Lämmer wurde mit satten fünf Oscars prämiert und der Thriller von Thomas Harris gehört sicher zu den besten der neunziger Jahre. Die Hörbuchfassung des spannenden Katz-und-Mausspiels zwischen Dr. Hannibal Lecter und der FBI-Anwärterin Clarice Starling, meisterhaft von Jodie Foster gespielt, liest Hansi Jochmann, die deutsche Synchronsti ...more
Published 2004 by Weltbild (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Das Schweigen der Lämmer, please sign up.

Reagan Nelson It's almost as if the novels are separate. There's very little reference to Red Dragon in Silence of the Lambs. I read them in chronological order of…moreIt's almost as if the novels are separate. There's very little reference to Red Dragon in Silence of the Lambs. I read them in chronological order of publication, but you could read either independently. (less)

Stephen
CONTENT ANNOUNCEMENT: Out of respect for Thomas Harris’s superb novel, I have decided that no pictures of ANTHONY HOPKINS will appear in this review. Thank you for your understanding.

4.0 to 4.5 stars. Another one of those terrific situations where I saw the movie first (and loved it) and then eventually decided to read the book... and loved it too. Score!!! Now assuming that most people not suffering from the after-effects of severe head trauma know the basic plot concerning FBI trainee “Hello..
Martine
Call me a freak, but I have a bit of a crush on Hannibal Lecter. He may be the scariest fuck out there (certainly scarier than the supposed monster of the book, Buffalo Bill), but he just oozes style and knowledge. In fact, he has so much style and knowledge that he doesn't come off as a ridiculous prick when he says things like, 'A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone'* or 'Can you smell his sweat? That peculiar goatish odour is trans-3- ...more
Darth J
Oct 29, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

So, I read these books out of order. I started with Hannibal (which gives better background and fleshes out the character of Lecter much more than the mess that was Hannibal Rising), then read Red Dragon and finally this one. Can I just say that I love Clarice Starling? I just have such a deep respect and admiration for her (also, Jodie why didn't you come back for the sequel?? I mean, Moore was great but I don't like a break in continuity, nor do I like how they changed the ending of Hannibal w
Lou
Photobucket
I need to get round reading this, whats put me off is that the movie has been played on the TV so many times now Clarice and Lecter are quite vivid in my mind. I am sure the book has lot more to offer as Harris is one of my high ranking thriller writers.
Some trivia on the movie...
Like "Casablanca", this movie contains a famous misquoted line: most people quote Lecter's famous "Good evening, Clarice" as "Hello, Clarice." This is not a misquote from the first movie but an actual quote from the se
Lightreads
Dec 27, 2008 Lightreads rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, horror
I'm assuming this book was once shocking and groundbreaking. And okay, yes, eww with the eating people and the skinning. But also? Shut the fuck up, Thomas Harris. There are few things more obnoxious than a male author with a hard-on for his female protagonist. Worth reading for Hannibal the Cannibal, because I dig that abnormal psychology stuff, but did I mention the objectification? The sexism? The way the reader is never allowed to forget
about gender? How every male she meets falls for the he
Manny
Jan 11, 2016 Manny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Click the above image to check out the lamb-related commercial that's ignited a worldwide firestorm of controversy. Poles, Danes and vegans are just three of the most outraged groups. Don't miss YOUR chance to post a few angry tweets and maybe sign an online petition complaining about those insensitive, inappropriate, politically incorrect Australians!
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 23, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can smell your cunt!

Imagine if you are a woman and you are alone walking in a dark hallway of a solitary confinement in a hospital for criminally insane. You are about to meet a serial killer who eats his victims' brain, sweetbreads, liver, etc. Then after meeting that killer, you hear that same man again saying I sliced my wrist so I can bleed, watch me die! and you feel splatters of liquid on your face that you thought to be blood, only to realize that it is semen.

I saw the book's movie ad
Willow
Feb 07, 2014 Willow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG I loved this book! What is wrong with me? Lol

I really did though. What can I say? Yes, it’s grim and grisly. Harris likes to go into creepy detail about skinning people, disturbing bugs, and the ickiness of finding a severed head in a jar. It’s not gore galore though. It more disturbing than a gross, and that’s why I liked it. Buffalo Bill is making this gruesome outfit and he thinks about it like he’s some kind of runway designer. It’s kind of oddly and darkly funny.

I had forgotten a lot of
Jack Jordan
A great book and a great film. In this instance, I'd actually recommend watching the film first, as Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Dr Lecter is so good that you'll want to think of his performance as you read the book; I certainly did, anyway.
Liam
Apr 11, 2016 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I was not expecting to love this as much as I did but wow this book is so good!

It was truly compelling and haunting from the very start and it was one of those books that is very hard to put down!

All the characters, especially Hannibal of course, are just so interesting and incredibly well written! The plot kept me guessing and I really loved how it played out.

I really enjoyed seeing Hannibal as he was in this book after watching the TV show because I found it pretty creepy and he was real
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Another re-read of Silence of the Lambs, this time my favorite. Maybe it's because I'm more into the story and read them in the order of sequence and not popularity, I'm not sure, but this time around I found it even more fascinating than the first meet.

Clarice is a likeable character. Her background melding with who she wants to be is an admirable one. She's given the chance of a lifetime, handed out by a man she admires, to step her foot firmly into the FBI. Without meaning to, she's sucked in
Jonathan
Nov 10, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best thrillers I've ever read, perhaps the best. This book is exceptionally written and maintains suspense throughout its 400 pages.

There are many reasons why this book is so good:

1. You have two villains, instead of the usual one. Both are intriguing, frightening, inhuman.

2. Hannibal Lecter is one of the greatest villains ever created. The talks he has with the protagonist are mesmerizing.

3. Clarice Starling is a great hero, troubled and flawed, but not in any cliche manner.

4. No lov
Val⚜Shameless,  Bitchy, Skanky, & Not Sorry⚜ Mrs. ClayDanvers/RemingtonTate
Being that this is an older, ridiculously famous book, it doesn't need a review. Especially not from little ole me. This book was part of my challenge my comfort zone list.

I will say that I found it very interesting that it is on both the "The BOOK was better than the MOVIE" and "The MOVIE was better than the BOOK" lists.

I don't know that I preferred either/or...it was kind of cool to read a book and have faint images of the movie in my head as well. I really enjoyed the psychological aspects
Anushka
MUST READ.
MUST READ.
MUST FREAKIN' READ.

This book blew my brains away!
Even though I had seen the movie long back before reading the book, it still got to me. I loved it. If there is someone in this world who loves horror/thriller and hasn't read it yet should first, smack them self on the head and then go to their nearest bookstore or order this book online and start reading it the minute they get it. Totally worth it.

A-M-A-ZZZZ-I-N-G.

I'm out of words, just...just read it, guys!

5 Stars!
Franco  Santos
Buen libro. En algunos momentos se me hizo un poco pesado, en especial en el inicio, sin embargo, a medida que las páginas pasaban la historia se tornaba más amena y entretenida.

El personaje de Hannibal Lecter es una de las creaciones más interesantes y brillantes de la literatura. Es, creo yo, el mayor atractivo de la novela. Aun así, me hubiera gustado que Harris se centre más en Lecter; en las partes en las que él tenía protagonismo mi atención estaba inherente al relato.
Richard
Jan 19, 2016 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
6.5/10

A mixed bag overall with parts that really shine through (those parts all contain Hannibal Lector) and parts which drag. Even though its years since I last saw this movie it still holds quite fresh in the memory but the bits which really come to the forefront of my memory are those with Sir Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Lector. Maybe this is no coincidence as he nailed that performance but also the source material for him to use was pretty damn good. So much so that the rest of the novel sort of
Srividya
What can I say about this book that hasn't been already said! I believe I am one of those last ones to have read this book. And before anyone asks, No - I haven't seen the film either! Although, I have been told, multiple times by everyone close to me, including my husband that I should watch it for Sir Anthony Hopkins. Well, maybe another day, when I am not so chicken about watching movies in this genre.

Coming back to the book - it was perfection in complete! I couldn't find fault with it and n
Raeden Zen
Jun 18, 2014 Raeden Zen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive, Disgusting, Brilliant Suspense Thriller

The Silence of the Lambs tells the story of FBI student Clarice Starling and her work with Jack Crawford, the head of Behavioral Science, the FBI division that deals with serial murder, to find serial killer "Buffalo Bill." He sends her on what seems a harmless errand, to present a questionnaire to one Dr. Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter, and with this the chase for Buffalo Bill is on. The conflict and themes are varied, the dialogue is genuine, t
Mike (the Paladin)
A creep fest or gore fest that I read some time ago. I was into "audio books" in my work vehicle at the time, listening to books between jobs and on my commute rather than the radio....I listened to this book. Was I crazy or something?

I've never read anything else by Harris. My wife was the "horror" fan (and no matter what genre this book gets placed in officially it really belongs with horror). She "read, Red Dragon" (read that out loud and it sounds a bit odd...."read Red"? Oh well just a whim
Johann Coetzer
Ok here we go with a decent review.

I have seen the movie itself quite a few times, mostly because of Anthony Hopkins and it is a very good movie to watch.
Now the book, the book was first published in 1988 and the movie did stay quite true to the book and that does not happen quite often.
If you have seen the movie, and most have, you will not miss much by not reading the book.
The book does fill in a few holes that is in the movie but they are so minute.

This book is a really good read, if you can
Samaya Young
The Silence of the Lambs

I found myself a little disappointed when reading this much spoken of story, of which I enjoyed the motion picture. This usually isn’t the case. In the past when, reading the true origin of a movie, The Book, it tended to add to the experience, and at times be even better.
Regretfully this wasn’t the case with this particular novel. I found the writing style lacking a flow that would have allowed me to be swept along with the story, and that is a terrible pity; so many pro
T.C. Michael
Feb 20, 2016 T.C. Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't leave 5 star reviews very often, but this one was well deserved. I'm glad I read this book, it has probably took the first place in my "favorite horror books" list. This is the first Thomas Harris book I've read and he's definitely a favorite. The writing and story are done perfectly and the plot and characters are very captivating. I think what I liked the most in this book was the plot, what an awesome thrill ride. Wow, I'll definitely read again. The amount of psychological science an ...more
Brad
Apr 16, 2014 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book reminds me that truly excellent and heart-felt works of literature can come out of the mystery field. It was a great deal better than Red Dragon, imho, and it really holds its own in both subtlety and panache. There are many good reasons why the story is iconic, but I'm slowly realizing that the whole anti-hero aspect of it might not be the best part. Perhaps I'm just getting older and less fanboyish, or perhaps I just like to see a well-rounded tale make a full circle in my head. Eith ...more
Axolotl
Aug 05, 2015 Axolotl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished Red Dragon a few days before completing this. I found that there are a few retreads for those who--in the wake of the blockbuster movie--didn't read Dragon first. Though these do tend to jar somewhat, I felt that, overall, this novel is an amplification of what Harris managed to achieve in the previous one.
This is crime-writing perfection and Harris is, quite obviously, a perfectionist. The Silence of the Lambs is absolutely riveting from beginning to end and will hold even those who
Shanon
Mar 19, 2009 Shanon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I read this book so long ago but I remember that I have never been more scared while reading a book. I even made my dog sleep in the bed with me (a very bad habit to start)
Linda
Because of her knowledge in psychiatry, Starling, a young FBI trainee, seeks the advice of a former serial killer and cannibal, he sinister Dr Hannibal Lecter, in the pursuit of a murderer on a sick and peculiar killing spree.

Harris gives the reader an interesting insight into the human psyche, from the murderer's perspective - his view of other people as items, crops to be harvested. The villains aren't just bad, they are horrible monsters. But at the same time, as in real life, there's an expl
Priscilla
Oct 30, 2011 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, gripping read!

Initial thoughts:
1. I love the heavy dialogue, especially between Clarice and Hannibal. The interaction between these two characters was intense.
2. Clarice is a great, strong female character. She doesn't waver in the face of fear.
3. Ugh, Buffalo Bill was INSANELY creepy! I love it!
4. Love the end. Definitely a thrill!
5. The story played like a movie in my mind. The writing is clear, and distinct.

Check out my video review here!
Mikheil Samkharadze
ჰორორი, თრილერი, დეტექტივი!
ჟანრის კლასიკა და საკულტო ნაწარმოები!
წიგნი, რომელიც ბნელ ოთახებში შიშს შემოგისახელბთ.

დარწმუნებული ვარ, ბევრ თქვენგანს უნახავს ფილმი “კრავთა დუმილი” ენტონი ჰოპკინსისა და ჯოდი ფოსტერის მონაწილეობით. გამოგიტყდებით, მეც ამ ფილმის თაყვანისმცემელთა რიგებში ვარ. ყველა დროის ერთ-ერთი საუკეთესო ფილმია, მაგრამ დამიჯერებთ, თუ გეტყვით, რომ წიგნი ბევრად უკეთესია?

წიგნი მოგვითხრობს სერიული მკვლელობების საქმის ძიების შესახებ. ფედერალური საგამოძიებო ბიურო (FBI) თავის ერთ-ერთ კურსანტს კ
S.J. Abbo
May 06, 2016 S.J. Abbo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iskreno, mislim da je suvišno bilo šta pisati o ovoj knjizi a da već nije rečeno. Svi su, iako je možda nisu čitali onda bar čuli za nju ili o njoj. Radnju već svi znate tako da ću samo izneti svoje utiske a oni su veoma pozitivni. Po meni knjiga i film su veoma slični i kao što sam nekada davno sa oduševljenjem gledala, tako isto sam sada sa uživanjem čitala ovaj psihološki, napet i na momente zastrašujuć triler koji plaši samim tim što nam pokazuje koliko duboko u tamu može sezati ljudska psih ...more
Jules
Sep 02, 2015 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this quite a few years ago. The Silence of the Lambs is one of my all time favourite films. However, I still loved the book, despite having already seen the film.
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood #1-3)
  • A Simple Plan
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan Universe, #4)
  • The Throat
  • The Green Mile, Part 2: The Mouse on the Mile
  • Suffer the Children
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Choke Hold
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The Ice House
  • Mine
  • Primal Fear
  • L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3)
  • A Place of Greater Safety
  • Cape Fear
  • Priest (Jack Taylor, #5)
  • Psycho
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)

“When the Fox hears the Rabbit scream he comes a-runnin', but not to help.” 354 likes
“Nothing made me happen. I happened.” 248 likes