Start by marking “Deadwood” as Want to Read:
Deadwood

Deadwood

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
There’s something evil in Deadwood Park.

But the curse is no game, and it gets worse. Businesses fail.
Published December 1st 2012 by Pugalicious Press

To ask other readers questions about Deadwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadwood

The Bumble Girl {Margie}
A fast-paced, enjoyable, contemporary fantasy that upper middle graders will truly enjoy!

Martin is a strong, determined teen who was sent to live with his mother's cousin while she's deployed. Martin does his best to stay out of his "Aunt" Michele's way, and tries to get by on her strict regimes of eating healthy and living life to their full "brain-power" potential. He's a runner and trains as often as he can, determined to complete any marathon as long as his mother can do it with him.
On his f
Maggie
Jun 24, 2014 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This is another one of those books that I didn’t pick for me but instead for my husband Chris to read to our older kids. My daughter is 8 and reading some middle grade books, and my 6 year old son just kind of listens to whatever dad has to read to them. Chris said this was definitely a dark read. He felt that if my daughter had read this by herself, she would have been scared. He feels that this is more appropriate for those actually in the middle grades and not just reading at those levels.

He
Cindy
Jan 04, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
wonderfully written and original middle
grade fantasy that is as much mystery as
anything else. i appreciated the relationships
between friends and family in this book the
most--and how andrews made both the Spirit Tree
and the town the kids lived in characters themselves.
Amanda Valentine
Mar 18, 2013 Amanda Valentine rated it really liked it
Martin Cruz moves to Deadwood (known to most people as Lower Brynwood) to live with his “Aunt” Michelle—actually his mother’s cousin, as she’s quick to tell people—because his mother is deployed to Afghanistan and his grandmother has recently passed away. Still grieving and separated from everything he knows and loves, Martin bonds with a huge old tree that marks the turn-around point when he goes running.

It turns out this tree is the Spirit Tree—before the start of the football season, the team
Joood Hooligan
Jun 26, 2014 Joood Hooligan rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I could lie and tell you that I picked this book to review just to read to my son at bedtime, but I totally wanted to read it for myself. Although we both enjoyed it, there were parts of it that were a little scary for him. It's a story that's more for readers who are better able to separate fiction from reality.

As a gamer, I was quickly drawn into the story. The story opens with Martin, stuck living with one of his relatives becau
Jennifer Walkup
Jul 05, 2013 Jennifer Walkup rated it it was amazing
Deadwood is a really fun MG book. It's a page turning mystery with a really cool fantasy idea woven in. Perfect for the modern day MG reader. It's twists and turns kept me turning the pages and wondering exactly how it was all going to end up!
Ashley
Mar 26, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys smart YA/grade school reads
I received this book from Goodreads: First Reads. :)

I misread or didn't fully read the summary when I entered to win "Deadwood". I didn't realize it was a kid's book/story. And then I won it.. :/ And I am actually glad that I did.
I wish that when I was 8-12 years old that I would have had more books like this one to read. I love the fact that it wasn't dumbed down and can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The story flowed at a great pace and was not weighted down by extra details and unneeded
Kim
Jan 13, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
The pace of this book picks up to breakneck speed. The second half was a one-sitting reading session. In this fun and fast-paced fantasy, Kell accurately captures the cadence and content of the middle school protagonists' relationships with their family and friends. The descriptions of the Spirit Tree create a vivid visualization of its crackling energy. I'm giving this to every middle grade kid I know.
Summer
Jul 13, 2014 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A fast-paced junior mystery with a little bit of magic and plenty of heart.

With his mom deployed in Afghanistan, Martin’s forced to move in with his not so kid or any other kind of friendly, Aunt. Pretty much the only thing Martin finds to like in his new town is a dying tree. It turns out the tree is cursed, and it asks for help from Martin as well as soccer player Hannah. They wouldn’t just be saving the tree from the curse; they’d be saving the down-trodden town.

Martin’s immediately likeable,
Lucy
Jul 07, 2014 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read an early draft of this. It is a thoughtful, fun and interesting novel for middle-grade readers. The characters are original and thoroughly compelling. Strongly recommended!
Michelle
My Review:
Deadwood is a great book I feel for kids, it has a lot of stuff I think they would enjoy. It has mystery, magic and friendship. Reading it as an adult I had a few issues with the flow of the story. I sort of went all over the place and sometimes repeated the same stuff over again. I figured out the who did it part, close to the end, but I thought itwas interesting. This isn’t a very long book so it’s a good story with cute characters. I did think Hannah was trying to be something she
Amy
Entertaining and fun, this book has elements of magic, mystery, and everyday life. The pacing is great, as it kept me turning pages quickly and wanting to find out what happens next. There is real heart and believability with the main characters and that really helps drive the story. Well done.
Jadine
Aug 19, 2015 Jadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Easy read, passing it on to my boys to read now as well! (13 and 10) Great story, good flow. Free book on Goodreads.
Linda Spillman Bruns
Nov 02, 2015 Linda Spillman Bruns rated it it was ok
Here's what the pub says about it: "Martin Cruz hates his rotten new town. Then he gets a message from a tree telling him it’s cursed — and so is he. It’s not just any tree. It’s the Spirit Tree, the ancient beech the high school football team carves to commemorate the home opener. And every year they lose." It started out strong - just creepy enough to appeal to kids without being too scary. Strong girl character in it was a plus. Then it just dragged on and on and then ended very abruptly with ...more
R. M. Clark
Jul 14, 2014 R. M. Clark rated it really liked it
Kell Andrews' Deadwood is a fun-filled debut novel, chock full of interesting twists and quirky characters.

Martin and Hannah, two unlikely friends from Lower Brynwood, launch a plan to save an old, carved-up beech called The Spirit Tree, which may just hold the key to the town's (and the townsfolks') recent run of misfortune. Working together, they solve the mystery of the carvings while battling locals who want to destroy the tree.

This is a charming, middle grade romp, sure to put a smile on yo
Ted
Jan 01, 2013 Ted added it
Shelves: first-reads
"*** I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads ***
** The Giveaway was Listed By Kell **
* I received my copy on Tues Dec 18th, 2012 *

THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRST READS AND Kell! "
Morisca Cristian
Dec 15, 2012 Morisca Cristian rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading it. I recommend it. I got this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Fahadshah
Jan 05, 2013 Fahadshah rated it really liked it
best but i did not read kindly furthermore goodest.................
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Toby Woehl
Toby Woehl rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Maria Castillo
Maria Castillo marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Giovonni E
Giovonni E marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Betti Anderson
Betti Anderson marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Mlovelace
Mlovelace marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
DalaiMommaReadingDrama
DalaiMommaReadingDrama marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jae Park
Jae Park marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • The Mapmaker and the Ghost
  • A Box of Gargoyles (Maya and Valko #2)
  • The Vine Basket
  • Last Will
  • Handbook for Dragon Slayers
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Survival Strategies of the Almost Brave
  • Dangerously Ever After
  • Hippolyta and the Curse of the Amazons (Young Heroes, #2)
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • Summerkin (Winterling, #2)
  • A Question of Magic
  • Shipwreck Island (Shipwreck Island, #1)
  • Science Comics: Dinosaurs: Fossils and Feathers