Start by marking “Deadwood” as Want to Read:
Deadwood

Deadwood

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  15 reviews
There’s something evil in Deadwood Park.

Martin Cruz hates his rotten new town. Then he gets a message from a tree telling him it’s cursed — and so is he. It’s not just any tree. It’s the Spirit Tree, the ancient beech the high school football team carves to commemorate the home opener. And every year they lose.

But the curse is no game, and it gets worse. Businesses fail.
Published December 1st 2012 by Pugalicious Press

To ask other readers questions about Deadwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadwood

The Bumble Girl {Margie}
A fast-paced, enjoyable, contemporary fantasy that upper middle graders will truly enjoy!

Martin is a strong, determined teen who was sent to live with his mother's cousin while she's deployed. Martin does his best to stay out of his "Aunt" Michele's way, and tries to get by on her strict regimes of eating healthy and living life to their full "brain-power" potential. He's a runner and trains as often as he can, determined to complete any marathon as long as his mother can do it with him.
On his f
Maggie
This is another one of those books that I didn’t pick for me but instead for my husband Chris to read to our older kids. My daughter is 8 and reading some middle grade books, and my 6 year old son just kind of listens to whatever dad has to read to them. Chris said this was definitely a dark read. He felt that if my daughter had read this by herself, she would have been scared. He feels that this is more appropriate for those actually in the middle grades and not just reading at those levels.

He
Cindy
wonderfully written and original middle
grade fantasy that is as much mystery as
anything else. i appreciated the relationships
between friends and family in this book the
most--and how andrews made both the Spirit Tree
and the town the kids lived in characters themselves.
Amanda Valentine
Martin Cruz moves to Deadwood (known to most people as Lower Brynwood) to live with his “Aunt” Michelle—actually his mother’s cousin, as she’s quick to tell people—because his mother is deployed to Afghanistan and his grandmother has recently passed away. Still grieving and separated from everything he knows and loves, Martin bonds with a huge old tree that marks the turn-around point when he goes running.

It turns out this tree is the Spirit Tree—before the start of the football season, the team
Joood Hooligan
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I could lie and tell you that I picked this book to review just to read to my son at bedtime, but I totally wanted to read it for myself. Although we both enjoyed it, there were parts of it that were a little scary for him. It's a story that's more for readers who are better able to separate fiction from reality.

As a gamer, I was quickly drawn into the story. The story opens with Martin, stuck living with one of his relatives becau
Jennifer Walkup
Deadwood is a really fun MG book. It's a page turning mystery with a really cool fantasy idea woven in. Perfect for the modern day MG reader. It's twists and turns kept me turning the pages and wondering exactly how it was all going to end up!
Ashley
Mar 26, 2015 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys smart YA/grade school reads
I received this book from Goodreads: First Reads. :)

I misread or didn't fully read the summary when I entered to win "Deadwood". I didn't realize it was a kid's book/story. And then I won it.. :/ And I am actually glad that I did.
I wish that when I was 8-12 years old that I would have had more books like this one to read. I love the fact that it wasn't dumbed down and can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The story flowed at a great pace and was not weighted down by extra details and unneeded
Kim
The pace of this book picks up to breakneck speed. The second half was a one-sitting reading session. In this fun and fast-paced fantasy, Kell accurately captures the cadence and content of the middle school protagonists' relationships with their family and friends. The descriptions of the Spirit Tree create a vivid visualization of its crackling energy. I'm giving this to every middle grade kid I know.
Summer
A fast-paced junior mystery with a little bit of magic and plenty of heart.

With his mom deployed in Afghanistan, Martin’s forced to move in with his not so kid or any other kind of friendly, Aunt. Pretty much the only thing Martin finds to like in his new town is a dying tree. It turns out the tree is cursed, and it asks for help from Martin as well as soccer player Hannah. They wouldn’t just be saving the tree from the curse; they’d be saving the down-trodden town.

Martin’s immediately likeable,
Lucy
I was lucky enough to read an early draft of this. It is a thoughtful, fun and interesting novel for middle-grade readers. The characters are original and thoroughly compelling. Strongly recommended!
Amy
Entertaining and fun, this book has elements of magic, mystery, and everyday life. The pacing is great, as it kept me turning pages quickly and wanting to find out what happens next. There is real heart and believability with the main characters and that really helps drive the story. Well done.
R. M. Clark
Kell Andrews' Deadwood is a fun-filled debut novel, chock full of interesting twists and quirky characters.

Martin and Hannah, two unlikely friends from Lower Brynwood, launch a plan to save an old, carved-up beech called The Spirit Tree, which may just hold the key to the town's (and the townsfolks') recent run of misfortune. Working together, they solve the mystery of the carvings while battling locals who want to destroy the tree.

This is a charming, middle grade romp, sure to put a smile on yo
Ted
Jan 01, 2013 Ted added it
Shelves: first-reads
"*** I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads ***
** The Giveaway was Listed By Kell **
* I received my copy on Tues Dec 18th, 2012 *

THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRST READS AND Kell! "
Morisca Cristian
I enjoyed reading it. I recommend it. I got this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Fahadshah
best but i did not read kindly furthermore goodest.................
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 21, 2015
emma.timtam
emma.timtam marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Anoud
Anoud is currently reading it
May 09, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Suzanne Warr
Suzanne Warr marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Kate Kaynak
Kate Kaynak marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 18, 2015
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Stella Mesa-pavlovski
Stella Mesa-pavlovski marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • The Mapmaker and the Ghost
  • Last Will
  • A Box of Gargoyles (Maya and Valko #2)
  • The Vine Basket
  • Handbook for Dragon Slayers
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Under the Green Hill
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • Wicked Misery (Miss Misery, #1)
  • The Nightmare Factory
  • Ben Fox: Squirrel Zombie Specialist at Your Service
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • The Trident Deception
  • Shipwreck Island (Shipwreck Island, #1)
  • A Question of Magic
  • A Touch of Darkness (Key, #1)
  • Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1)