Start by marking “Dragon Academy” as Want to Read:
Dragon Academy

Dragon Academy

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With high school finished for the summer, Nick looks forward to visiting his aunt and uncle in New Jersey. What awaits him is a heat wave like no other - and the last two Greywings on the planet. Nick has an innate ability to train horses but will he be able to translate his amazing skill to these teenage dragons?

The steaming soup of mid-summer heats up tempers and tests
Published December 19th 2011 by Pfoxmoor Publishing (first published June 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Academy

Maghon Thomas
I need to say say thank you, first, to Books4Tomorrow and the author for giving me a copy of this book to review.

A BOOK IN THE DUDE'S PERSPECTIVE!! Brilliant... ok, so first, I have a thing for hearing what the guy thinks, and this was perfect for that! Second, it is NOT a dragon shifter book, but a DRAGON book. They are real live dragons, and they stay that way. Now, don't think I have anything against shifters, especially dragon ones (they are definately one of my favorites), but this is a wh
Bill Kirton
We all know dragons don't exist, right? Well, once you've read this, you'll maybe reconsider. When the last pod of Greywing dragons is discovered, the scientists of the Bureau of Land Management who are studying them are concerned to find that they're suffering from parasitic worms and in danger of dying out completely.

Husband and wife team, Dietrich and AnnaLise, run a riding school in New Jersey. When Dietrich's sister-in-law, Berit, who's an Adjunct Professor in Large, Dangerous Animals with
Jun 28, 2012 Sallie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and young adults
There be dragons! In the world Diane Nelson has created, dragons exist. Although there aren’t many left. Most species of dragons are extinct. So when a pod of Greywing dragons is found, it is considered a huge discovery. The scientists are ecstatic to find there may be a breeding pair in the group. But then it’s quickly determined that the dragons are in danger. They are riddled with parasites and dying. Although a treatment is readily available, the dragons aren’t having any of it. They have fi ...more
Even though the title suggests that the book is about an academy in which one learns about dragons, that is not really the case. The “Academy” is actually a horse training school run by the husband and wife Dietrich and AnnaLise Von Freund. Only after two of the last Greywing dragons are transported to the school and Nick, Dietrich’s nephew, tries his hand at training the dragons he lovingly named Nikita and Michael, we meet the four other teenagers. This isn’t Hogwarts and there aren’t any clas ...more
Maria K.
Before you read "Dragon Academy", please remind yourself that this is a book for children and young adults. Remind yourself, what sort of thing drew you into a book, when you were twelve years off. If you have kids, you'll get the most out of this book if you read it with them - especially if you can do the voices for all the different characters, which could be tremendous fun.

"Dragon Academy" does have many of the traditional YA literature elements: a main character, who is not much older than
Can you imagine riding on the back of a real live dragon? That’s exactly what Nick was about to do. What’s more, he can actually telepathically communicate with Nikita, the female dragon.

Nick’s Mom could be best described as a bit eccentric but she definitely knows a thing or two about dragons. Dragon Academy begins as Nick and his Mom are watching a pod of dragons. Their existence is a little known secret and there are very few breeding populations left.

Nick is given an amazing opportunity. H
Ray Randall
I recommend this book if you’re a person who loves horses and fantasy. If you do, you’re sure to like Diane Nelson’s ‘Dragon Academy’. I loved how this was set in current time but what I especially liked about the story is that there is no attempt to explain the dragons. They’re just here, as another endangered species, with very real problems, like intestinal worms. I also liked the sub-plot as we follow the misadventures of BillyBob and BobbyRay as they first try to deliver the fire-breathing ...more
M.A. McRae
First off, I loved the appearance of this paperback when I received it, glossy browns and copper, and a great image of a dragon against a faded out forest. Most attractive.
The story did not disappoint. It is full of great characters that pull in the reader. Some real humour comes in with the truck-driver incidents, bordering on farce, a light touch to an exciting story. It is not like a fantasy book –there are dragons, but in an ordinary world. It winds up to a helluva climax, and a most satisfa
Kerry Olivetti
To be fair this book may have suffered by comparison because I have read several really fine books lately. However, on the whole I found the characters underdeveloped, the side plots unnecessary, and the use of intertextuality exasperating. It's too bad because I think it is a good concept that went badly awry.
Brenda (b)
This is a young adult story. The world created here includes dragons and makes mention of a "visitor" living in Area 51. There's quite a bit of humor, especially involving the truckers who transport the dragons across the country to their new home.
Brian Talgo
Have youth, get book. It's as simple as that. Wait, maybe not so simple. A lot of adults will really enjoy this urban dragon fantasy, too. Sooooo .. Have youthful soul, get book.
Gratair marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Aeokie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Lelouch marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Eva marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Gupta Anirudha
Gupta Anirudha marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Damien marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Lana marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Jen Winters
Jen Winters marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kira Morgana
Kira Morgana marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Sheila marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Liz Stoker
Liz Stoker marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Lexie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Constance marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I have been writing for over 30 years across a variety of genres - dark urban fantasy, paranormal romance, science fiction, young adult, humor and cross-genre erotica.
More about Diane Nelson...