Start by marking “Sketching Light” as Want to Read:
Sketching Light

Sketching Light

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Following up on the great success of The Moment It Clicks and The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes, legendary magazine photographer Joe McNally takes us on another memorable ride with Sketching Light, another trip into the land of light--but this time running the gamut from small flash to big flash, and everywhere in between.

Of course, Joe includes coverage o
Published (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sketching Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sketching Light

Bruce
Jan 16, 2012 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
I look forward to reading anything that Joe McNally writes. I read his blog posts, his hard books and the one ebook he has produced. I enjoy his humor. I enjoy his description of people and what draws him into a photo of them. I always learn about using light to create a photo that tells a story and, hopefully, evokes a reaction. This book is different from his others. Still lots of detail about lights and arranging them. Still lots of napkin drawn lighting diagrams. Still lots of humor. The dif ...more
Douglas Larson
I am just getting started on this book. I belong to a photography book club and this book is our current book. I plan to stick with it and finish this but I have to say, I do not like the prose style that Joe McNally uses here. Also having trouble identifying which of the photos in each chapter are being referred to in the text. There are no captions or index of photos and so the reader is left with guessing which photo is which. I must say, some of the results that McNally described, I have tro ...more
Katsu
Feb 21, 2013 Katsu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
I compare this book to last one of Joe, and unfortunately it is much worst.
Beginning is great. We have main flash modifiers showed in easy way, each alone to know effect of them. After that we have interesting stories about some pictures with drawings of light placements, reasons of such choices and quite interesting and funny digressions time to time.
It starts to get bad somewhere in the middle.
There we have long chapters about how it was before digital photography age, what problems photograph
Steve Losh
Jul 31, 2012 Steve Losh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fuck this book.

TL;DR: Buy Light: Science and Magic and read Strobist instead.

I saw this book in the store and thought "Oh cool, a book that's going to show some lighting scenarios by a pro and explain how and why they work"!"

Instead I watched Joe McNally fellate his ego for about two hundred pages before I gave up and used this book to prop up a leg of my desk.

To be 100% clear, I'm not saying there's not some useful information in this book. There is. For example: he says that no matter what lig
Krusher Basta
Mar 23, 2014 Krusher Basta rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
A very enjoyable and educational read. The book is loaded with beautiful pictures, beautifully lit, and Joe McNally explains the details of how it was set up as well as the thought process that went into the shot. In between some of the photos he shares experiences as a professional photographer as well.
Darren Smith
Feb 10, 2012 Darren Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not perhaps quite as good as the Hot Shoe Diaries, or The Moment it Clicks from a writing point of view (McNally is trying too hard in this book), it more than makes up for that with its technical detail. Insight into the strobe work of a genius is brilliant for any-one interested in photography.
Pat Loughery
Mar 01, 2012 Pat Loughery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Wow. Will reread, and will buy more of McNally 's books in print for my shelf.
Myrica
Myrica marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jeffrey Anderson
Jeffrey Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Hafsa
Hafsa marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Douglas Wade
Douglas Wade marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Brian Brooks
Brian Brooks rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Justin Van Leeuwen
Justin Van Leeuwen rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Etain
Etain rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Joeson Tan
Joeson Tan marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Martin Kimeldorf
Martin Kimeldorf rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Kevin Long
Kevin Long is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 07, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2016
Brian D Hechel
Brian D Hechel is currently reading it
Annie Concepcion
Annie Concepcion marked it as to-read
Slava
Slava marked it as to-read
Sarah Sammis
Sarah Sammis marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Hadi AL-Tammam
Hadi AL-Tammam marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ryan Shaver
Ryan Shaver rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Mike Weidman
Mike Weidman rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • Gregory Heisler: 50 Portraits: Stories and Techniques from a Photographer's Photographer
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • 50 Photo Projects: Creative Ideas To Kick Start Your Photography
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • The Iconic Photographs

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
An accomplished and widely-respected photographer, Joe McNally got his start as a newspaper photographer in New York, eventually becoming a staff photographer for Time magazine and a frequent contributor to National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, and numerous other publications.

Particularly noted for his portraits, McNally teaches numerous workshops throughout the year.

See McNally's own website o
More about Joe McNally...