Start by marking “Reluctant Protector (Protectors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reluctant Protector (Protectors, #1)

Read Excerpt

Reluctant Protector (Protectors #1)

Erotic Novella.

For five years, Cassie Reeser has been her brother’s personal lab rat. Peter’s experiments have made her a stronger, faster, better human. And she’s not the only one – he’s been experimenting on others as well. For five years, escape has eluded her. Until now. When she finds out he plans to sell her as a human weapon she knows it’s now or never. To make her
Published December 28th 2011 by Nana Malone (first published December 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Reluctant Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reluctant Protector

Sadie Forsythe
May 18, 2014 Sadie Forsythe rated it liked it
Again, I thought this was an OK read. (I'm seeing a trend.) Cassie has been held captive and experimented on for 5 years, she's attempted escape before, somehow she's established a contact to help her give it another go, and here the book starts. This is all basically explained, but like the prequel, it feels very much like we started in the middle of something. A lot happens off set, so to speak.

I liked the story, I really did. I liked Cassie and Seth, I really did. But believable emotions were
Cate Dean
Feb 10, 2012 Cate Dean rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this first installment of the Protectors Series, and am anxiously waiting for the next. Cassie and Seth have great chemistry, and there are some fun twists that you don't see coming. So go out and grab yourself a copy - you'll be glad you did.
Lissette
Mar 15, 2012 Lissette rated it it was amazing
Cassie Reeser spent most of her childhood trying to overcome the throes of sickness plaguing her at every turn. With the help of her father's legacy, her brother, Peter, has done his best to care for her in hopes of finding a cure that would allow him to remove her ailments. His vast scientific knowledge, along with Cassie's will to live, has given him the opportunity to make her better. Yet the price she must pay in order to be healthy is one she never saw coming.

Her brother has been able to un
Niina
Mar 28, 2012 Niina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-challenge
Fast pace, interesting and dark, Reluctant Protector has a cool Dark Angel feel with its modified human weapons, escaping a facility and generally kicking ass - but it's more than that too, adding up all Cassie's abilities might ruin the plot so I won't do that. ;) The story has a modern urban fantasy feel with suspense and violence woven into it to get an exciting mix.

Sheltered Cassie was an interesting read when she begun to have emotional reaction to Seth, beginning to blush, get hot and both
Sobia
Aug 15, 2012 Sobia rated it liked it
Keeping it short:

Great premise, but not long enough for it to fully develop...too many sex scenes, way too soon, take over a good chunk of what little story there is. We get bits and pieces of backstory/ world building, but again not really fleshed out. Oh and there's some editing needed.

Between 2.5 and 3 stars for an overall okay read... There is a bit of a cliffhanger ending but I'm not interest enough to read it :(
V
Jun 09, 2012 V rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
This short, sci-fi piece is available for free from Amazon for the Kindle. The action begins almost immediately, and though there is some back story given throughout, events are not fully explained; the speed with which the plot moves is unbelievable, even for the genre. The explicit sex scenes arise suddenly, and not out of any defined developing romance. In short, this story lacked character depth and plot development -- it was a disappointment.
Samantha **ParaNormal Romance Party**
1st line in the book---> Frigid cold settled into Cassie Reeser's bones.

The first thing that I have to say is that this book is Very HOT!!! I didn't have any expectations but I was very happy to have received this book to review! Its more Romantic Suspense with some PNR elements but I enjoyed it very much. I don't usually read Romantic Suspense because I can't really get into it but I was hooked on The Reluctant Protector!

Cassie has had a rough time. She has been experimented on by her brothe
Rute Canhoto
Jun 13, 2012 Rute Canhoto rated it really liked it
CRÍTICA
Acabei de ler este livro no dia 15 de junho de 2012 e dou-lhe uma classificação de quatro estrelas.
Esta é uma estória pequena que junta ficção científica e erotismo bastante gráfico. Não é uma combinação que costume ler com frequência, no entanto gosto de variar de vez em quando. Tenho a dizer que gostei.
O que mais me agradou foi a fluidez da história. As cenas sucedem-se com naturalidade, embora às vezes tenha ficado um pouco confusa com a transição, mas nada de significativo e que não s
Kristen N.
Aug 18, 2012 Kristen N. rated it liked it
Nana Malone is indeed a good author and she shows that with Reluctant Protector book 1 of the Protectors series. Reluctant Protector contains the real concept of creating 'Human Super Soldiers', a concept that's been tried since at least the time of Hitler. I did enjoy reading Reluctant Protector and think that Nana Malone did a great job. The thrill was there along with the question...would it all that happened be for nothing. I am the type of person who once a book is started will never leave ...more
Kayla Bouy
Mar 02, 2012 Kayla Bouy rated it really liked it
Reluctant Protector had me hooked from the very beginning. It starts out with Cassie attempting to break out of her brothers lab. She tried other times and failed, but instead of giving up she keeps fighting and tries again. In the lab he managed to create an injection that he used on a few people to give them enhanced abilities. Cassie had been locked in his lab for years as one of the experiments.
During her escape she happens to run into the sexy ex-war correspondent Seth Adams. Seth is taken
Julie Swarth
Jan 09, 2012 Julie Swarth rated it really liked it
So I'm working out my new kindle like my husband's going to steal it away. I bought this book this morning and finished it an hour ago. It's a novella, so that was disappointing as I was extremely interested in where the story was going to go. The heroine, Cassie has been experimented on my her brother and he's turned her into a modern day superhero. She's on a mission to rescue the others her evil brother has done this to. Enter Seth Adams, a sexy reporter after a story on Cassie's brother. The ...more
Misty
Jan 11, 2012 Misty rated it it was amazing
Smokin hot super heroes! I read this story twice and hope there will be more Cassie and Seth to come in future books. They're a fantastic couple even without their super powers.

Cassie is a biological freak and social misfit thanks to her brother's experiements to turn her into a human weapon. But she isn't one to boohoo about her situtation. Even though previous attempts at running away from GenLife lab and Peter have failed, she's giving it another shot. Not just to save herself, but all the ot
Bobbi Steadman
Dec 01, 2012 Bobbi Steadman rated it liked it
Fast paced and pretty spicy at times, this book was overall pretty good. I was surprised by the very explicit sex scenes, as that was certainly not why I had picked up the book. I was slightly disappointed in the characters, however, as they seemed a bit flat. Things were a bit rushed and I felt like things were jumping from one scene to another without fully resolving things from the previous scene. I enjoyed the idea of Cassie, the main character, being used to experiment with creating super w ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Mar 26, 2012 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it
Reluctant Proctor is a paranormal short story that is very fast paced. this is not your typical vampire or werewolf paranormal but of a woman who has superhuman powers. A sickly Cassie, is taken under her brothers wing when her father passes away. Father and brother are both scientists who do experiments and develop cures for diseases. Peter has taken things a step further by experimenting on his own sister and keeps her locked up for five years in the institution. She has tried to escape numero ...more
A.R. Von
May 09, 2012 A.R. Von rated it it was amazing
An exciting, mysterious and sensual read that keeps the reader on their toes and keeps the pages turning.

Cassie was treated by her father at the beginning to cure her illness. Once her father passed away, her brother Peter took over her treatment. Only it was not really treatment, but more like a science project for his own personal gain. All Cassie wants is her freedom and peace of mind. To escape from the prison her brother chooses to keep her in and be able to just live.

Seth is a reporter try
Ellen
Feb 02, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
I've said before I dislike commenting on a self-published authors formatting and editing, but Malone has clearly sent this to an editor and so I commend her for that as it makes my eyes not hurt so much to read a well formatted and edited book.

Reluctant Protector is a short novella and despite this the story doesn't feel rushed or compressed. Cassie finally escapes from her brothers lab where she's been a prisoner and an experiment for five years. Unfortunately she has to use the back of Seth Ad
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

A really interesting little read. I picked this one up on sale at Audible and am not sorry at all!

Really engaging story that had many twists and turns. Great characters,with a dynamic and fast paced plotline. I really wished there were more. It was way too short! This one will leave you hanging and ready for the next book.

Steamy as all get out!!! Some really yummy hot and heavy action!

The narrator Robin Dane is terrific. I have not listened
Hilary
Oct 09, 2012 Hilary rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Disappointing. Cassie's superpowers sound far too much like Andy's from Firestarter, even with the same drawbacks. And 3 long, graphically detailed sex scenes for a 97-page novella were way too many. (Unless you're into that sort of thing. You should also note it contains anal play.) There were also some disjointed sections of writing where I paged back to see if I'd inadvertently missed something, but then realized not; it was just badly written.

Should be categorized as romance/erotica with a s
Michelle Granger
Feb 11, 2012 Michelle Granger rated it it was amazing
Seriously, great cover. Great price too. It's the only reason I tried a book by an author I didn't know. I discovered her following another writer on Twitter and boy am I glad I did. Superheros was something I didn't expect at all, so that was cool. Lots of action and characters I could get behind and understand. All in all it was well done. Both Cassie and Seth are believable and likeable characters.
Rhonda
Jun 21, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes paranormal romance
Fast-paced page turner. This novella is a fun, quick read and very entertaining. The main characters have great chemistry. There's a little bit of everything in this book: fast paced action, suspense, romance, and paranormal elements that make these two super-heroes. I've already purchased book 2 in this series and can't wait to read more about some of the other characters with these unusual powers. But I hope we get to see more of Cassie and Seth in the future as well.
Rich
Jun 06, 2012 Rich rated it it was ok
Not worth the time I put into reading it. The story would have been mediocre at best, but the author chose to include explicit descriptions of the characters sexual acts. It seemed to me that this was an attempt to bring some liveliness to an otherwise bland story. I will not be moving forward in the series.
Ashley Nicole
Aug 17, 2012 Ashley Nicole rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more. The storyline was interesting. The book was written well enough. It was short, but still good. Considering how short it was, I, personally, could have done without the numerous, gratuitous sex scenes. They're just really not my thing when they seem to dominate the book.
Krista
Apr 22, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing
You never know what you're going to get with a Kindle freebie, but this was a very pleasant surprise. I will definitely be checking out more of Nana Malone's books because I really want to know what happens next with Seth and his reluctant protector.
Zoe
Jun 06, 2012 Zoe rated it it was amazing
This is a truly amazing story. Its got so much packed into it for a quick read. Action, romance, paranormal and more inbetween. Im excited to find out when the second in the series is out I will definitely be checking it out. I really loved it and would whole heartedly reccomend.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
I enjoyed the thriller side (nice face paced action and interesting premise) but found the relationship development less convincing and found the sex scenes a little long (although well written). Overall a reasonable read but probably wouldn't read more in the series.
My Dichotomy Life
Unusual story about Cassie who has been experimented on by her brother and now has superhuman powers.

She manages to escape and the man who helps her unwittingly also gains these powers: the sex really must have been incredible!
Emily
Apr 27, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
This was a really cool book. You start off with a sick heroine whose family has good intentions of healing her, but then it turns into a "Heroes" supernatural ability story. It's X-Men, Heroes, and romance mixed together. I look forward to reading more in this series.
Wanda

Reluctant Protector (Protectors,#1) by Nana Malone was fantastic!
A fast paced, quick read, that left me wanting more. Nana Malone is one of my new favorite authors and I will be looking for more books by this author!

Faby
Aug 06, 2012 Faby rated it liked it
cute, funny, and lovely at time, really entertaining for the rest of the time, o do sometimes became a little dull, or slow, i love the way this two became in the need of each one of them , we always need someone no matter how strong we think we are
Meaghan
Feb 07, 2013 Meaghan rated it it was ok
Hmmm....I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was short, 97 pages, so I wasn't expecting much. However, it was a quick short read, filled with sex and passion, along with action and the supernatural.
I enjoyed it, but would probably never read it again, or the next in the series.
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Bound by Blood
  • Dragon Blues
  • Runaway Choices
  • In Cassie's Corner
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One
  • Blood Tide
  • Soul Search
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • A Night at Tears of Crimson (Tears of Crimson, #1)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • The Taste of Magic
  • Replay
  • Bound By Blood
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • With Love; Now & Forever
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • Sword of the Raven
Nana's love of all things romance and adventure started with a tattered romantic suspense she borrowed from her cousin. It was a sultry summer afternoon in Ghana, and Nana was a precocious thirteen. She's been in love with kick butt heroines ever since. With her overactive imagination, and channeling her inner Buffy, it was only a matter a time before she started creating her own characters.

Waitin
More about Nana Malone...

Protectors (3 books)
  • Forsaken Protector (Protectors, #2)
  • Wounded Protector (Protectors, #3)