Start by marking “Etude (The Birthright Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Etude (The Birthright Legacy, #1)

Etude (The Birthright Legacy #1)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The cold rain drummed the memory of the horrible crash into my mind-mom dead, my hand ruined. Then a year later, coming out of a coma to realize my full-ride scholarship was gone and I'd never play the piano again. But the worst of it was nobody believed me-the voices, someone holding me in the mangled car, mom being ripped away from me.So here I am in Anderson, Wyoming, l ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Mapletree Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Etude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etude

Patricia Lynne
I wasn't sure when I started reading. First off, I was worried I'd hate the book and my first low review on my blog would be of an ARC. And secondly, the plot uses a formula that I saw a lot of books use after Twilight: Lone girl moves to a new place, meets beautiful boy, boy has secret, girl discovers secret and her life is now at risk. Been there, done that, yawn. Despite that, Etude did a wonderful job at telling a story that made me not care about the formula used. Plus, unlike other books t ...more
Andd Becker
This book moves steadily toward an unexpected twist in the Epilogue. The author is in no hurry to reach the end of this 445-page book; but the reader will certainly be in a hurry to start reading the second book in the series, to see what happens next.
It's not that the major character is so appealing -- she is actually quite ordinary. (Or so it seems. Other characters reveal to the 18-year-old girl who and what they think she is.)
The appeal of the novel is the seductive way in which the autho
I do not read young adult fiction as a rule. I find the majority trite and lacking in inspiration, building upon too common prior successes by other authors, in an "I want to get onto this bandwagon and earn fame and fortune" vein. Not so with Etude. The premise is a lovely, unexpected twist upon the Adam and Eve story. The development of characters was comfortable, and I found the required love/almost-sex scenes as expected for the age that is targeted. The morality quandary that consumes the h ...more
Apr 03, 2012 Ashley added it
Recommends it for: Anyone with a Draw to classic music, immoratlity and young love.
Holy Smokes!
Melinda R. Morgan
So i recieved this book a week or two ago. I finally finished it. It only took me the two weeks because of school work (stupid school). If i didn`t have that i would have finished Etude in one night. Form the start the book was captivating. I put all others aside and focused on only Etude. Melinda has a way with words (hence why she is the author and not me). Sionce picking up Etude I have played only classical music wherever I go. I recieved the ARC copy of the boo
OK. There are basic similarities to the Twilight series. So what? Etude is a more literate, moving, symbolic story and contains a depth that is far more reaching. I could not stop reading once I started. I admit, I had to reread a few paragraphs to get the gist of the science involved. It was worth it. If you like light reads that you can just skim through, you may, or may not love the book. If you like deeply designed, well constructed plots that require you to think, you'll love it. I did.
Melinda Morgan's Étude is a wonderful story about learning to live with tragedy, failed relationships, new friendships, believing the impossible and learning to love and trust again. I loved the way Melinda worked science and religion into a totally believable explanation of how her story's immortals came into being and why they are still here on earth. Certainly kept the sci fi lover in me turning the pages, even though, this is considered a YA paranormal romance and not a sci fi novel.

Beth ha
When you're watching a scary movie and want to put your fingers over your eyes and only peep through them occasionally, it's a little hard to do if the "movie" is in your mind as you read Melinda R. Morgan's novel, Etude. I wanted to keep my eyes covered in parts of this exciting and scary novel, the first in the series, The Birthright Legacy.
While the book started slow (the first two or three chapters could have been done in flashback, once the action started I couldn't put it down until the ve
This book has the most believable hypothesis for immortality of any of the YA books I have read. The theory is approached from both the theological, and scientific angle. Woven into these possibilities is a touching love story involving characters you want to learn more about. The music motif will make you want to put on some of your favorite classical music and dream. It will grab you, hold you, and have you begging for the sequel. On a final note (pun intended), Because of the depth of plot, I ...more
Raechel Duplain
A must read! This is one of those stories that you pick up once and never want to put down until you're finished, so if you like young adult fiction, this is your next book. It's clean and appropriate, but also has bits of the dark, supernatural, mysterious, and romantic. However, be warned: when you finish it, you'll be dying for the sequel and it's not out yet!
I absolutely love this book. Everything about it is amazing.The characters are well written and ontop of that the plot is wonderful.Even if you don't like to read,this a book that you should read.Overall the book is just fantastic. You should go out, buy it and read it,trust me you won't regret it!!! :D
I couldn't put this book down! I usually don't get into paranormal books but I found it really interesting and easily fell in love with the characters. I can't believe I have to wait a year for the next one!
Beth Arrington is no ordinary young woman. Once an accomplished classical pianist, at 19 she moves to Anderson, Wyoming to live with her uncle and complete her senior year of high school that she missed out on following a tragic car accident. A car accident that had her in a coma for 7 months, damaged her left hand to the point that it is now useless, and left her without a mother. Etude is a very complex book - in fact, one could arguably consider it an "etude" in it's own right. It begins a li ...more
Etude begins as a pretty straightforward tale of a girl named Beth who lost both her mother and her ability to play the piano in a tragic accident. Beth subsequently goes to live with her uncle when her father is deployed, and there she meets a young man who helps her find her way back to her music, albeit not as a fully functioning pianist. Sweet story so far, right? At that point, Etude takes a sudden and completely unexpected left turn into the supernatural. What follows is an engrossing, wel ...more
Jodie Brown
May 11, 2012 Jodie Brown rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jodie by: Melinda Morgan
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this YA novel, and not just because I know the author! Its blending of questions of faith, practical reality, teenage issues, and the supernatural creates an intriguing story, and there were a few times I was taken by surprise by the storyline.

I particularly like Jonathan's character, and I am anxious to see how the depth of his character is developed through the sequels. I appreciate Beth's complexity, which mirrors many young women's struggles with negotiating relationships.
JB Howick
I'm not normally a fan of YA and frankly, I couldn't even get myself to open the Twilight books. But I really enjoyed Etude. It's a good love story, a very good spooky story, and filled with plots that made me think! The story's heroine is believable and more like the teens I work with every day than many other books I've read. And the science is well thought out! I'm delighted to recommend this book.
I really enjoyed Étude! I loved the concept of the immortals. The characters were well developed and had me thinking of them long after I finished reading the book. I felt the plot was engaging, and kept me reading! I can't wait for the next book to come out so that we can really learn more about the immortal life! The ending left with a huge cliffhanger!
Jennifer Edlund
I had the privileged of reading this book before it was published, in raw form. Even then it was destined for greatness! Congrats.
Sophie :3
I won this in a giveway for my Mom. Here's her review & rating (she wrote it):

Etude started with a interesting hook to engage the reader, but then proceeded quite slowly. Some parts of the plot and some of the characters seemed formulaic and mirrored the plot of a popular vampire series. For example, there is the girl who moves in with a male relative, a supernatural cute guy, a girlfriend, and the charming guy who also likes the girl. Unfortunately, the characters were not as interesting or
Apr 11, 2012 Ellen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ANYONE
I have read this book and I LOVE IT! It is my favorite book! I have read the Twilight Series and the Hunger Games Series and this absolutely rises above! The characters have depth and are all likeable (besides the bad ones of course) and the romance and relationships are REALISTIC which is one of the reasons I found this book attractive. It kept me interested all throughout and I believe anyone can relate to it! CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL!!! <3
Nan Defelice
Hooked from page one!
This book had me from the very first pages. … I loved the piano references, and I knew each piece that was mentioned … and I've played several Right-Hand-Only compositions. … Melinda's descriptions of the characters, their surroundings, thoughts, and feelings come through very clearly, making the story all the more believable.The mixture of science and immortality seemed like it was something that could happen. … The ending leaves you wanting more.
Sharon Huether
This book took me by complete surprise. Out of my box. When I saw the title "Etude " I only thought of music. There was music mixed up with the paranoral. Beth found the love of her life in Johnathan, he came from a different time. There was other realms where her mother was, after she died in an auto accident. There were twists and turns in the story that made it interesting.
I enjoyed the book for the most part. I loved the way it started and drew me in but then I thought it dragged in places and also suffered from being predictable.
Mary McDonald
I'm not in love with this book, but liked it enough to probably read the next book since it ended in a bit of a cliffhanger. Reminded me of Twilight.
Very good. I can't wait for the second book! I think it is a plot that hasn't really been touched on before. A new kind of story.
The book is really good and has good ideas and theories and i enjoyed reading it however I feel it was poorly written
Judi Haugen
Amazing-- intense, intriguing and I can't wait to read book #2
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Sunny marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Bree is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Davina Bell
Davina Bell marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Wings of Boden
  • The Dragon and the Crow
  • Swell
  • Replay
  • Between Two Evils
  • Missing
  • Yesterday's Stardust (Lost Sanctuary #2)
  • Driven (Full Throttle, #3)
  • Surprisingly Supernatural
  • The Mansion's Twins
  • Shackled
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • Whispering Hills (Whispering Hills, #1)
  • The Messenger
  • The Midnight Twins (Midnight Twins, #1)
  • Ancients Stir (Tales of Mysdrym, #1)
  • Torn to Pieces
  • The First Blade of Ostia
Visit Melinda's author website:

Melinda R. Morgan was born and raised in the heart of the Inland Empire in southern California and currently resides among the rolling hills of Temecula Valley, an area just north of San Diego County in the heart of southern California’s wine country.

In 1997, upon finding herself a single mother of four young children, Melinda returned t
More about Melinda R. Morgan...

The Birthright Legacy (2 books)
  • Intermezzo
Intermezzo Eleanor's Secret: A Prelude to Intermezzo (The Birthright Legacy)