Start by marking “Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd” as Want to Read:
Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd

Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  42 reviews
What began as a wildlife research project became much more as the author and his wife learn to hear the earth, pay attention to their dreams and slowly change, beyond their expectations, into being caribou.
Both gripping adventure and stark portrayal of an Arctic cosystem threatened by oil development.

In April 2003, wildlife biologist Karsten Heuer and filmmaker Leanne All
Published November 1st 2005 by Mountaineers Books

To ask other readers questions about Being Caribou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Caribou

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
What a beautiful story! And what an extraordinary pair of human beings. Karsten is a wildlife biologist and Leanne is a filmmaker. These newlyweds spent five months north of the Arctic Circle, on skis and on foot, following the Porcupine Caribou Herd. One thousand miles round trip!! They endured grizzly bear attacks, near-starvation (six days without a meal to speak of), borderline hypothermia, monster mosquitoes from hell, and just pure exhaustion. With only each other for company, frustration ...more
Pam
In April of 2003, wildlife biologist Karsten Heuer & his new wife, Leanne Allison, set off on an epic journey to follow the Porcupine Caribou herd as it migrated from its Yukon winter range to its endangered calving grounds in the Arctic Nat'l Wildlife Refuge - and back! After over 1,000 miles on foot and skis, physically & mentally exhausted, they walk into a dimension of conciousness neither had experienced before. Being Caribou is more than a story of grand adventure - it's about the ...more
Mary-Beth
Look, I won't deny it. I am the wrong audience for this sort of thing. It was interesting, but for me it was really all beyond the pale. I think that nature is a wonderful and marvelous thing and I really respect what the author of the book did to try to help out a bunch of living creatures that deserve to live.

Still and all whenever someone is so intensely into something that they physically harm themselves I can't help but cringe. Maybe that just proves that I am weak and not dedicated enough
Mallory
Karsten Heuer and his wife Leanne travel to the Yukon/Alaska border to follow the caribou from their winter range, to their calving grounds in the Arctic National Wildlife refuge, and back. Throughout the five month trip, they face the challenges of an arctic spring- starvation, exposure to the elements, swarms of insects, and hungry grizzly bears. After the trip, Karsten and Leanne are left changed by the experiences had. The Canadian duo travels to DC to lobby against the oil companies intrudi ...more
Christina
This book documents an adventure I’m glad someone else wrote about so I can read and experience their trip from the comfort of my home. It’s not that I wouldn’t want to visit the ANWR (it sounds breathtakingly beautiful), but this trip is riddled with requirements that are far outside this hiker’s comfort zone – relying on food drops, multiple encounters with starving bears, crossing frozen rivers barefoot, sleeping outdoors during 24-hour sunlight, dealing with mother cows protecting their newb ...more
Stephen
A great adventure: a husband and wife: biologist Karsten Heuer and filmmaker Leanne Allison follow the famed Porcupine herd of caribou from its Yukon winter range to its calving grounds in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and back, thousands of miles. Even more mosquitoes. Grizzly bears. Blizzards. Months of walking.

Ultimately they tapped into the herd’s “infrasonic resonance on the edge of human hearing.” A sort of oscillating song the collective caribou hummed to stay in touch, a group song
Melissa
I wish I liked the cold. I would love to do something like Karsten and his wife did in this book. But alas, the Alaskan and Yukon wilderness is not for me.

Karsten and his wife decide to follow a caribou migration.....on foot and skis. The total trip lasts about five months and they go hundreds of miles. They sleep in a tent and just try to keep up with the herd, I'll while carrying only what they can on their backs and avoiding predators like grizzly bears and wolves. Supplies are dropped along
Socraticgadfly
Why ANWR must be preserved

Husband and wife team of Karsten Heuer and Leanne Allison decide to spend their honeymoon in just about the most off-the-beaten-track way possible: they're going to migrate with caribou.

Not just any caribou, but the Porcupine herd of northern Canada and Alaska, the herd whose calving ground is the 1002 Section of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, the place where Exxon wants to drill to get what will likely be less than six months, maybe one year's worth of U.S. needs
Joe
With a general leave the wilderness alone, anti-drilling theme, this is easy reading; but only as interesting as looking at a herd of caribou can possibly be. The "becoming caribou" is too much of a zen stretch. Not exciting. Reinforces this rule of thumb: be careful when a book has only a handful of reviews.
Doug Gordon
Such a great book! This story is both amazing and mysterious. It gets to the core of nature's spiritual aspects - the concepts of flow and connection between beings and how it is possible to enter that flow if a person allows for the time required and cultivates a certain mental state. It is also an epic story in itself.
Edward
Oct 29, 2008 Edward rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the natural world
"We try to be caribou but are continually pulled back by our human needs" writes the author in one of his diary entries. What value does it have to follow the migration of a herd of caribou as they head toward calving grounds on the Arctic Ocean, something that the author and his wife do with great hardship and considerable personal danger? That is the question that this non-fiction book tries to answer, and it may be a kind of religious answer that is discovered. The caribou herd is completely ...more
Kevin Dutton
I really enjoyed "Being Caribou". The author writes about his 5 month journey following a herd of caribou during which time he becomes more and more aware of the natural presence and awareness found in the caribou and all that surrounds them. This allows him to see the glaring difference between that way of life and our technology and consumer driven lifestyle that is full of distractions and constant stimulation. Ultimately, he begins to make peace with the juxtaposition of these two existences ...more
Zyr
I loved it, honestly I'm not going to go in depth as I believe (cliche yes) that this book can stand on it's own, and the title says enough. So if you want to read about the caribou and how fundamentally 'human' we are then I would recommend this book. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Shonna Froebel
Karsten Heuer and his new wife, Leanne Allison, a filmmaker, spend months following and relating to caribou. They follow the Porcupine caribou herd in the spring from their wintering areas to the birthing grounds and back out. They encounter natives on both sides of the oil/environmental refuge question, grizzly bears, birds of all types, wolves, mosquitos and other life. They almost starve, have trouble keeping up sometimes and have moving experiences. An amazing and moving book.
They have a web
Waboose Adventures
Possibly my third favourite book, EVER.
Lorraine
Jul 25, 2013 Lorraine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Naturalists
A true story written like fiction, very easy to read. Lots of information about caribou and their habitat, but not at all in a textbook or preachy way. The landscape descriptions are good, but obviously cannot do the story justice. I really enjoyed reading about their trek, finding and following and losing (rinse, repeat) caribou. There is an excellent sense of ecology and of a world that is bigger than humans. It reminds me of what is out there, what we have lost, what we could protect.
Sherry (sethurner)
It's a good thing I read this nonfiction account of a husband/wife team who set out to migrate with a caribou herd in the summer, because the reading gave me goosebumps. The conditions they traveled under were often very harsh, wet and cold and dangerous. They weree determined to photograph and film the lives of the carbou in the Artic Wildlife Refuge, hoping to preserve the caribou's habitat, and so preserve the caribou. Maybe a whole lot more people need to read their account.
John Elbare
Very interesting book, yet I did not finish it, as it started to get a little tedious midway through. Nevertheless, it is a fascinating true story of a couple who decide to follow the caribou herd on foot during its annual migration through the northern Yukon and Alaska. Well worth reading. There is a film they shot which can be viewed on their web site. The book also provide considerable insight into the presnet day like of Eskimo native Americans.
Tema Sarick
This was extremely interesting as an account of a couple's 5 month migratory journey with caribou in the North. I was soooo envious of their proximity to such amazing critters including grizzlies, wolves, eagles and of course caribou. The writing is good enough but the story is great and the message about the potential devastation to all of these animals should Alaska be opened to further oil collection, is very, very important.
Amy
I would rate this book 1.5 if I could. It took 130 pages before I really even cared about the story. The author doesn't write terribly but neither would I call him an excellent writer. I think the book would have rated 3 stars if he focused more on the environmental /political side of the caribou issue, so that his readers would have a reason to care about his 5 month trek.
Demetzy
Really good book not my usual book at all. Made me want to get back to nature and do the kind of travel where you really loose yourself
Jean
Wow. The documentary of this trip is amazing, but the book is even better. Karsten's prose will tug at your soul. I was very emotional while reading this book and it was a pleasure to read. Please do what you can to preserve the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Christine Mac
Before I read the book, I saw Karsten present a slideshow of his experience which blew me away. An incredible endurance feat and a nature story that crosses over into the spiritual. The "Being Caribou" movie his wife made is also a "must see".
Joy Marley
An incredible insight into the Porcupine Herd, wild and free and working so hard to survive. A touching story of human transformation. For anyone not already convinced, this book succinctly makes the case against development in the ANWR.
Maddy
I really liked this one, and the author gets points for the most gruelling honeymoon ever (though no need to talk about your sex life, Karsten). I found the description of the "de-culturing" of a human mind out in the wilderness super interesting.
David Kessler
Enjoyed it; about a 4 star. Answered why we do not wish to drill for oil in the new territory to the eastern , northern part of the Alaska coastline. Two brave souls, newly married, travel with the Porcupine Herd.
Milkweed Editions
Grand Prize, Banff Int’l Mountain Book Festival
U.S. National Outdoor Book of the Year
Best Travel Book, Independent Publishers Awards
Sigurd Olson Nature Writing Award
Desi
I love this book. It is accessible, highly readable non-fiction, lyrically told and beautifully photographed. My only disappointment is that I waited so long to read it!
Erin
This is good, but moving a little slowly. I don't really like the narrative voice of the author. However, I am still interested in the story (and a little jealous too).
Barb
I thought this was mostly an interesting story about a couple that migrated with some caribou in the Artic - glad we can't experience what that smelled like...
  • The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild
  • The Last Wild Wolves: Ghosts of the Rain Forest
  • Crow Planet: Essential Wisdom from the Urban Wilderness
  • Shadow Mountain: A Memoir of Wolves, a Woman, and the Wild
  • The Blue Bear: A True Story of Friendship and Discovery in the Alaskan Wild
  • Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays
  • Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • The Species Seekers: Heroes, Fools, and the Mad Pursuit of Life on Earth
  • The Life of Mammals
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Where the Wild Things Were: Life, Death, and Ecological Wreckage in a Land of Vanishing Predators
  • The Curve of Time
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Eating Stone: Imagination and the Loss of the Wild
  • Winter World
  • The Dolphin in the Mirror: Exploring Dolphin Minds and Saving Dolphin Lives
Karsten Heuer is a wildlife biologist, park warden and author of Walking the Big Wild: From Yellowstone to the Yukon on the Grizzly Bear's Trail. He has worked in Banff National Park in the Rockies, in Inuvik in Canada's far north, and in the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa. He is a recipient of the Wilburforce Foundation Conservation Leadership Award.
More about Karsten Heuer...
Walking the Big Wild: From Yellowstone to the Yukon on the Grizzle Bears' Trail Being Caribou: Five Months on Foot with a Caribou Herd Rock, Paper, Fire: Best of Mountain and Wilderness Writing