Start by marking “Shadow Woman” as Want to Read:
Shadow Woman

Shadow Woman

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  5,891 Ratings  ·  639 Reviews
Lizette Henry wakes up one morning and makes a terrifying discovery: She doesn’t recognize the face she sees in the mirror. She remembers what she looks like, but her reflection is someone else’s. To add to the shock, two years seem to have disappeared from her life. Someone has gone to great and inexplicable lengths to keep those missing years hidden forever. But the past ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Woman

Jill
Nov 03, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it

Then she straightened, tossing her hair back, and turned to the mirror - and stared into the face of a stranger.

Lizette (Lizzy) Henry wakes one morning and doesn't recognise her own face. Certain features are similar to what she remembers, but it's not her. Thoughts run through her mind. Is she crazy, having a stroke, is it amnesia? Some vague memories stir, and she's suddenly vomiting, a blinding pain behind her eyes. Each time these memories surface the cycle of pain and sickness continues.

It
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
**Copy provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

You never forget your first...
That's what they say, right? And you never do! Linda Howard was my first romance ever. I was 17, a bookworm teenager and I've read all the classics. And then a friend gave me this book and said: "Hey, stop with all this heavy stuff, here take some break". It was Now You See Her and my initiation began. I never looked back!!!!!!!!! As I've already said: THANK YOU LINDA!!

description

So to our story:

4 STARS

Four yea
Tammy  Zautner
Nov 13, 2012 Tammy Zautner rated it it was ok
Ok, I really really hate having to leave negative reviews. Especially for an author I adore. One of my favorite books by her is Mr. Perfect, and sits on my 5 star shelf, so please don't let this review stop you from checking out Mrs. Howard's writing. She is a wonderful writer.

Unfortunately, this book was just not one of them. I had to force myself to finish. It started out very confusing, and took awhile for the story to start making a bit of sense. In addition, the first 80% was very descript
Elizabeth (Liz)
4 Stars

What do you do when you wake up one random morning, feeling like yourself, no amnesia, remembering the day before, your family, where you grew up...but, when you look in the mirror, you simply do not recognize the woman staring back at you? This is Lizette Henry's new reality. It's possible she's lost her mind, but instinct tells her that's not the case. There's another answer. In the end, she may very well wish she hadn't sought the truth.

It is almost impossibly hard to talk about this s
Alex is The Romance Fox
SHADOW WOMAN by Linda Howard opens up with a spectacular prologue. US president shot by his wife! Cut to Chapter 1 – Lizette Henry wakes up one morning and doesn’t recognize her face in the mirror. She remembers what she looked like and it’s certainly not the face looking at her from the mirror. She also remembers the last two years of her life…before that she has no recollection.

As she begins to remember more, she realizes that something was done to her and that she’s in danger from unknown peo
Kathleen
Key spoilers are hidden.

Shadow Woman fell a bit flat for me, but there are some excellent bits, and Xavier and Lizzy brought to mind some of my favorite characters from Howard's stock. I will start with what I see as weak points, then move to the good stuff, and finally to the cross-book character comparisons.

Xavier and Lizzy don't spend any time together until 76% into the story -- not counting several sexy dreams and a fun, but brief, encounter in Walgreens. If it weren't for that single scen
[Aengell]
Feb 23, 2016 [Aengell] rated it really liked it

As a suspense novel, this was really good and it was even somehow unique with its plot and story structure. Nothing out of the world, but it's hard to find suspense novels that don't stick tot the same old formula, so this was a nice change. The blurb is intentionally vague and I will leave it at that, because any further information could be classified as a spoiler.
Lizzy, the heroine, is a complex character who goes through a big development from the first chapter on, and it was fasci
Pamela(AllHoney)
The prologue opens up in San Francisco four years prior. Laurel Rose is secret service and coming off duty. She hears gunfire and rushes to the rooms of the President and First Lady... Fast forward to four years later and we meet Lizette Henry. Lizette wakes up one morning and doesn't recognize herself in the mirror.

Linda Howard has written some of my most favorite books and while this won't be one of them, it definitely was worth reading for me. The suspense and intrigue were edge of your seat
Crista
Jan 27, 2013 Crista rated it really liked it

Shadow Woman has a very intriguing plot. A woman wakes up, looks in the mirror, and has a panic attack. She has no memory of at least 2 years of her life and doesn't remember how she got her current job (or her current face for that matter.)

To say I was intrigued by this plot would be a huge understatement. I wanted to understand the "whys" and "hows" of this woman's life. As Lizette slowly begins to piece her life back together and seeks to understand what has happened to her, it is v
Duchess Nicole
All right, folks...something's going on here...

This is the second of Linda Howard's new-ish books that I have avoided due to lackluster ratings and some very very meh reviews. And this is the second one that I've enjoyed MUCH more than I expected to. Perhaps it's due to my lowered expectations, but I found this to be pretty damn good. Not quite five stars, definitely not my favorite by her but it felt like a Linda Howard story. And I really dug it.

The story is pretty original and kept me guessin
willaful
3 1/2 stars. Shadow Woman is definitely romantic suspense rather than suspenseful romance. It reminded me a lot of Howard's Son of the Morning -- not in terms of the plot, but of the action. Like in that book, the heroine Lizzy spends much of the book on the run, learning -- or in this case relearning -- survival skills; until the last quarter of the book, she interacts with the hero Xavier primarily through her dreams.

This is the sort of story Howard writes very well, and the action and suspen
-Ya
Nov 25, 2015 -Ya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally like books which use a good balance of narrative and dialogue. For the most part, Shadow Woman contains heavy narrative and few interactions between characters. It began with an impressive prologue, and an intriguing mystery about a woman who couldn’t recognize her own face in the mirror. The storyline has great potential, but the execution falls flat. Still, it is a decent RS read.
D.G.
Nov 09, 2012 D.G. rated it really liked it
Check out this review and others at badassbookreviews.com

In an industry dominated by series, it’s so refreshing to read a stand-alone knowing that you won’t have to wait years until all to get the story arc. That’s why when I’m in a rut and don’t know what to read, I always turn to Linda Howard because I know she’ll have an exciting story with lots of twists and a sexy romance.

Shadow Woman is a high octane thriller that starts with a BIG BANG. The prologue is unbelievable and my eyes were almost
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. If however you are expecting romance, look elsewhere. There are two people in a relationship but even though they knew each other previously, they don't meet in this book until past the 2/3rds mark.

I was riveted though by the suspense element of it all, why she didn't recognize herself and why she had 2 blank years etc.

So this is nothing like Linda Howard of old where the relationship was the main thing but more like Cry No More and Death An
ShoSho
May 05, 2014 ShoSho rated it really liked it
Loved it! Not big on romance but what it had was great.
Kathy
Mar 23, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
Reread 9/27/16 to 10/3/16

I thought the Prologue was absolutely riveting. POTUS and FLOTUS (generic and fictional, of course) enter their suite in a San Francisco hotel along with their Secret Service details. All is as usual until three shots ring out in the President's suite. The Secret Service agents kick the door in, find the President lying dead at the feet of the First Lady who has a gun in her hand and who turns and shoots two agents while a third agent returns fire and shoots and kills th
Jonetta
From the moment Lizette Henry looks in the mirror one morning and doesn't recognize her face, this story begins a rather odd and bizarre journey to distinguish between her current existence and an alternate reality. Every time Lizette has thoughts of another point in time that is inconsistent with her present lifestyle, she gets intense, debilitating pains in her head that level her. She can remember beyond three years ago, can remember her childhood up to five years ago, but cannot account for ...more
Kat
Nov 16, 2012 Kat rated it it was ok
I got this book to review from NetGalley. Linda Howard has always been one of my go-to authors when it comes to Romantic Suspense.

The heroine Lizzy woke up one day, and looked at herself in the mirror only to find out that the face that she was seeing wasn't hers. She comes to realize that there were some gaps in her memory and suddenly she feels watched all the time. Bit by bit her memories come back to her, along with that of a man she must have loved once.

The majority of the book was about Li
Ian
Dec 22, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Romantic Suspense
Lizette has a boring life. She works a boring job, drives a boring car, even the food she eats is boring. Then one morning she wakes up, looks in the mirror and doesn't recognize herself and two years of her life have disappeared.

Xavier has been watching and protecting Lizzie for the past five years. When Lizzie's memories start returning he needs to act and act quickly. Her memories could destroy some very dangerous people and Xavier needs to find her and get her to safety before she is taken
Sanya
Mar 20, 2012 Sanya rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Oh,noooo, not again!
This book is somehow cold, remote, I couldn't relate with the characters. I didn't CARE what happened to Lizzy or X, and that shouldn't happen in one of Linda's book. As it progressed, it kept going worse. I forced myself to finish it, and, man, I kept falling asleep.
Mary Lou
I liked the characters and the story. Just wish Lizette and Xavier had more interaction in the beginning of the book.
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Mar) I think we all have to just admit defeat – Linda Howard, like Julia Quinn and Karen Marie Moning and Julie Garwood and Judith McNaught (to name a few) will never return to the writing style that made us fall in love with her (them). I know people love KMM’s Fever series, but to me, while I enjoyed them, they’ll never hold a candle to her Highlander romances. I have not even tried JG’s contemporary books, but I have heard that they are not anywhere near as good as her beloved medieval roman ...more
Jenna Howard
Nov 01, 2012 Jenna Howard rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I am a huuuuuuge Linda Howard fan. To me she's my Queen and I worship at her alter but...

But...

For the past few years I felt like I wasn't quite as adoring as I had been in the past. I get one book a year from her and each one was sought with eager anticipation. I'd buy without reading, race home to read it. One year I went to every bookstore in the area to get her new one. But lately...lately I was given stories that left me wanting...more of what I love in a Linda Howard
Bekah
Jan 17, 2013 Bekah rated it really liked it
Linda Howard has always been a phenomenal romance author for me. She's fast becoming a phenomenal romantic suspense author for me as well. This story begins with a prologue that grabs you immediately and will not let you go. I loved how my fingers flew through the pages until I reached the very last one. You'll find you'll be as intrigued as I when you pick this one up.

We begin our story with Lizette Henry going through her normal routine as she does every morning getting ready for work at the e
fleurette
Mar 22, 2015 fleurette rated it really liked it
To me books by Linda Howard differ a lot in quality. There are some that I like a lot and some that I'm not so fond of. Shadow Woman was one of the better ones. The story, although completely unbelievable, was really grabbing.

This was like a good action movie. There was a lot of suspense and action, plus some really grabbing well-developed plot. Even though, all the events were completely unbelievable I didn't mind it because reading it was such a pleasure.

I also liked the characters. They were
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Oct 25, 2013 Laura (Kyahgirl) rated it liked it
3/5; 3 stars; B-

I listened to parts of this book and read the rest. It was enjoyable in a very non-exciting way. The pacing was kind of slow and dreamy for the first half of the book. Not as good as some books I've read by this author but still pretty solid.
Ren
May 28, 2012 Ren marked it as to-read
Linda Howard finally release her new installment this year. But I really hope she back again to her former glory when she write at years 1980-2000. I really miss her old writing style :(

Hope this one have romance too.
Dianne
Dec 17, 2012 Dianne rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

This was a powerful, very suspenseful novel and I enjoyed it so much that I have read it twice already. Written in a sort of unusual style in that about the only point of view you hear is Lizette’s. Everything for the longest time is in her perspective with just very brief side trips to the other characters perspectives. Soon, though you will hear from Xavier’s and some of the other tertiary characters, yet Lizette still has the main POV.
I wonder how I would feel if I woke up one mornin
Book Him Danno
Jan 27, 2013 Book Him Danno rated it it was ok
Disappointed to say the least……here is why. This book was a bit strange, I follow this author and always request her new books from the library the minute they put the book into their system….but I am beginning to wonder why? The last one was OK, I really enjoyed Prey(even with the bear perspective...at least there was something interesting to read about) and Ice, but those are all I can really think I've liked of her books in the last few years. I miss her books like, To Die For, and Cover of N ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Narrator 2 13 Apr 21, 2015 04:16PM
The ending... what?! 3 57 Jul 19, 2013 06:03AM
  • Shiver
  • On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)
  • Aftershock (Aftershock, #1)
  • Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes, #1)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Guarding Jess (McCormack Security Agency, #2)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • Shiver of Fear (The Guardian Angelinos, #2)
  • Stolen
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Sharpshooter (Shadow Agents, #3)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Hold on Tight (Hold Trilogy, #3)
  • Sweet Talk (Buchanan-Renard, #10)
  • Midnight Lies (Wildefire, #2)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...