Start by marking “Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing, #3)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing, #3)

Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,299 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Lady Cordelia Bannister refuses to wed the man she has not chosen herself, no matter what her father decrees. So, pretending to be her own companion, she seeks out information about the designated groom by meeting with his secretary — a man who soon beguiles her. But Lady Cordelia doesn't know the truth — the man she can't resist is really her intended, Daniel Sinclair.
Published October 2007 by Harper Collins Avon (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Proper Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Proper Lady

A steaming pile of DNF.

Seriously, this book was excruciatingly dull. Endless conversations. ENDLESS. ENDLESS CONVERSATIONS...and that's not to mention the incomprehensible bullshit from which springs 350+ pages of Big Misunderstanding & Battle of the Sexes.

Here's our premise: Generic Independent Heroine is not necessarily opposed to an arranged marriage with Generic American Dude, but she refuses to allow her father to marry her off without knowing if the man is worth her sacrificing hersel
Christine
I see that reviews are all over the place for this book, but I have to say that I enjoyed this. There were lots of parts that made me chuckle out loud and I didn't mind the ridiculous escalation of the "mistaken identities" plot at all, it was almost to the level of comic farce stage play towards the end. I found the main characters funny and likeable. Sometimes the story seemed a little jumpy and there were quite a few grammatical errors (that I would have no doubt skimmed by without noticing h ...more
Abby
No wonder the very thin premise of this book (mistaken identities) lasted so long when every one was either muttering or speaking under their breath. I don't think a single character ever spoke a word out loud. The premise was silly and the writing felt rushed. As a result the characters came of as one-dimensional and I just couldn't bring myself to care at all about them or their situation.

Not my favorite Victoria Alexander, but others are near-to-classics. Check out "The Wedding Bargain" for
Sara ♥
Book 3 in Victoria Alexander's Last Man Standing quartet.

Okay, my review might sound a bit strange, but just hold in there. I LOVED this book--I wanted to rate it 4.5 stars... but I can't.

Okay, so the premise. Okay, so the book starts out with Lady Cordelia Bannister talking with her parents about a marriage that her father (Earl of Marsham) has apparently set up between her and a guy named Daniel Sinclair. Daniel's father is a wealthy American businessman who Cordelia's dad wants to merge compa
Michelle
There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews but I really enjoyed this story. Cordelia wanted to get information about the man her father wanted her to marry. It started out with Cordelia pretending to be her companion and a "mistaken identity" that Daniel never corrected. These two put on such a farce that they dug themselves deeper and deeper into a hole. Neither of them wanted to be the first to admit the truth even though they had already fallen in love with one another. I loved the little game ...more
Holly
Considering that the plot was so over the top silly and ridiculous, I'm amazed that I ended up enjoying this book as much as I did. It truly is a testament to the talent of Alexander, who has single-handedly been the catalyst for my new-found love for the historical/Regency romance genre.

Alexander's trademark dash of humor, and the sheer likability of her characters saved this novel for me. Especially towards the end, when the absurdity of the H&H's situation began to spiral out of control a
In a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and hidden identities Cordelia and Daniel manage to fall in love, convenient seeing as there fathers have arraigned a unwanted marriage between the two of them. When Cordelia finds out that she is to marry Daniel she is appalled that she would be forced into an arranged marriage, in an attempt to judge her husband-to-be's character she approaches his friend in the guise of her companion. Unfortunately the vague description that she received of Daniel' ...more
Aisha
i think this is a solid romance novel. while i share the frustration of other reviewers with the amount of talking and ridiculous lying between H/h, it did not completely mar the charm of this book. i am sick of reading the damsel in distress novels so one with a slightly odd, energetic,intelligent woman of a certain age (at least for this time period) is a lovely change. in this tale, cordelia poses as her companion sarah to get to know her would be husband daniel while he does the same but as ...more
Esra
İlk iki kitabından dolayı bu kitaba beklentim düşük başladım.Fakat beklentimin üstünde çıktı. Beni güldürdü.Sonlara doğru biraz baysada eğlenceliydi.Serinin okuduğum en güzel kitabıydı.
Judy
Daniel Sinclair is the 3rd out of 4 bachelors. He and Oliver are the only two men standing yet from their bet. But after this book, only Oliver is left.

Lady Cordelia Bannister is almost 26 and loves to travel. She really would marry if she found the right man, she just has not found him yet.
Her father has now told her she will marry Daniel Sinclair and it will help save his shipping business. Her family's future depends on her and this marriage- no stress there.

Daniel has no desire to marry but
Patria
Hanife
Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Kitap benim için çok çelişkiliydi. Kahkahalarla güldüğüm yerlerle, yazara "Aman şu yer değiştirme olayını uzatmasan olmaz zaten, okuru süründüreceksin mutlaka!" dediğim yerlere eşitti. Birde kitapta, hani komedi filmlerinde olur ya, adam bir şey konuşur, en yakın ama muzur arkadaş zeki ve alaycı laflarla cümleyi toparlar, bu tip durumlar çok vardı ve eğlenceliydi bu yüzden. Hele kitabın sonundaki cümbüş !

Amerikalı karakterleri okumayı seviyor
I'm a big fan of romances where the H/h think they can't be together but they actually CAN. You get your angst and get to eat the cake. Wait, I think I mixed my metaphors. ANYWAY. Cordelia and Daniel are set up in a positively antiquated arranged marriage. Steam power is king, Victoria is on the throne, who has ever heard of such a thing in this day and age? They're both understandably against it, but, (what I enjoy) willing to at least see if they like each other and whatnot. Cordelia is willin ...more
Maggie
I would have given this book 4 stars if I would have known this was part of a series before I borrowed it from the library, read in order this would probably would have been better. I liked the premise, 4 gentlemen, 1 bet on who would get married last. This one was #3 and of course ended in marriage. The entire book was one big misunderstanding, at times quite annoying. Realization of the misunderstanding by each character was amusing though. Epilogue #1 makes me feel bad for the last bachelor s ...more
Jenn
This is a very well-written book. I laughed so much and was so entertained by these two characters it was fantastic. It is romantic in its nature but the secrets between Cordilia and Daniel just seems to stretch new heights. When you think you can deceive another you end up deceiving yourself. It was so entertaining to see how they try to they undo their "secrets" only to make matters worse. Definitely an entertaining read that keeps you smiling.
Gina Hott
Lady Amelia has decided to take a lover. Announcing it to her husband over breakfast probably wasn't the way to begin this adventure.
Although this isn't on of her longer novels, I absolutely loved it!
Victoria Alexander has a way of making me laugh that no one else does! The antics of this husband and wife are truely hilarious. She really doesn't want a lover - just her husband's attention. He really doesn't want her to take a lover - but he offers to help. They both enlist the help of his twin
April
I've read the first two in this series and know that the male character in this book will get married eventually, so the mystery of the "last man standing" has pretty much been solved for me.

This book was kind of slow in my opinion. The characters needed to get together a lot sooner than they did. It was a nice idea, but I think it the author dragged it out too much.

I miss the historical romance books from Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsey (the older books by her--not the newer ones she has been pu
Brenda (b)
I love Ms. Alexander's stories. This one was quite good though not one of the best. I felt the deception of identities went on a little long. Of the four men involved in the tontine (and the two previous books), I had a feeling Daniel would be a more difficult character to get involved with because he's "the odd man out" in being American. He didn't have the same background of London Society that the others have so he doesn't quite have the same depth of character.

I'm still looking forward to th
Patricia Lundstrom
Good fast read, good humour -I chuckled through the whole book
Ash
I love Victoria Alexander . She is a very talented author and has numerous books under her belt.
She's has a very witty and lighthearted way of writing . This book was delightful and quite hilarious.

We have Daniel Sinclair and Lady Cordelia Bannister. Who both pretend to be different people , just to get information on each other. What a hilarious twist , I loved it. But it is a wonder they didn't find out about each other sooner.

A delightful and charming read, a book not to miss.....
Readitnweep
This story had a fun, unique twist to the plot that I enjoyed very much. And the characters, Cordelia and Daniel, were engaging. They were also coniving, prejudiced and manipulative - in other words, fully dimensional and interesting characters!

Also, kudos to the author for not bringing them together until the end. I liked how she had them find out - which I thought was well paced, not too dragged out. Well written and a very fun read. I'm looking for more from this author.
Jeanette
I noticed a pattern while reading these books in the Last Man Standing series: slow moving in the beginning then it picks up speed about halfway through and by the time I'm done I'm so delighted I can't wait to read the next one. In Book 3, there was more anticipation for excitement what with the characters playing cat and mouse with THEIR characters. I'm enjoying this series and know that I will be disappointed when the last book is read....
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Cordelia is an on-the-shelf, independent, avid traveller, intelligent woman. Daniel is an intelligent and rich american who has been promised in marriage to Cordelia with a business proposition. Both pose as other people to get to know their prospective spouses. The game blows up in their faces when they fall in love with each other. Doubts and insecurities, families unite, and lovers reunite to make this a great read!!
Sara
While I loathe books whose whole plot is based on both characters keeping a stupid secret from each other that keeps them away from each other, this was really the best version of that plot I've ever read. And it was cute. I probably won't read any more Victoria Alexander - all her books have ranked a solid "meh" on my scale - but of her books I've read, this was definitely the best.
Hina
I think this book could have been 5 star material, but toward the end the author kept going with not revealing the truth and it really became a little ridiculous when both of them won't tell the other and kept stretching the story out when it was not necessary. But overall its a great book and once again Alexander had such likable characters, even the minor ones.
Barbara
Cute, fluffy little story. Best read straight through as it could be confusing trying to remembering who was pretending to be who and who knew who they really were and who was pretending not know who...was...who...?
Read out of order, haven't found #2 yet, and it wasn't a problem since I had read the first one and understood the tontine.
Lord Rose
I thought I remembered abandoning this book for misuse of commas, but I see no evidence of that is the Amazon preview, so maybe I'm thinking of a different book. I probably abandoned this book for the obnoxious double mistaken identities, but I really don't remember it too well.
Fairyposs
More like 1 -1/2 stars as it threatened to be a DNF for me a couple of times. Cordelia was self-centred and manipuative yet still likeable, but Daniel came across as a bit of an ass. Not Ms Alexander's best - more like flat lemonade than her usual frothy, sparkling champagne.
Kindaangelic
Hmm...Iv read other books by this author, but when I started this book I was confused as to who wrote it. I was certain it was written by Loretta Chase...lol I guess the characters and plots were so simular that I lost track. Hmmm....not good for either author...
S.K.
I didn't finish this book. too much back and forth with nonsensical dialogue...and the reasons why the pair kept their identity hidden from the other started off fun and rather Shakespeareian, but then seemed like just a way to make the book longer. I gave up.
  • The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell (McBride Family, #1)
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Barefoot Princess (Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Web of Love (Web, #2)
  • Beguiled (Regency Trilogy, #3)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Beauty and the Spy (Spies and Lovers, #2)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The Love Affair of an English Lord (Boscastle, #2)
  • The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...
The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1) A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1) What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2) The Husband List (Effingtons, #2) Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing #4)

“She might have been a for­tune hunter, you know."

"Not an es­pe­cially good one." War­ren laughed. "I have no for­tune."

"But you will one day." Daniel shook his head. "It's never too soon to take pre­cau­tions."

"Ah yes. Lord save me from lovely young women.”
0 likes