Start by marking “Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing, #3)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing, #3)

Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,565 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Lady Cordelia Bannister refuses to wed the man she has not chosen herself, no matter what her father decrees. So, pretending to be her own companion, she seeks out information about the designated groom by meeting with his secretary — a man who soon beguiles her. But Lady Cordelia doesn't know the truth — the man she can't resist is really her intended, Daniel Sinclair.
Published October 2007 by Harper Collins Avon (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Proper Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Proper Lady

A steaming pile of DNF.

Seriously, this book was excruciatingly dull. Endless conversations. ENDLESS. ENDLESS CONVERSATIONS...and that's not to mention the incomprehensible bullshit from which springs 350+ pages of Big Misunderstanding & Battle of the Sexes.

Here's our premise: Generic Independent Heroine is not necessarily opposed to an arranged marriage with Generic American Dude, but she refuses to allow her father to marry her off without knowing if the man is worth her sacrificing hersel
Christine
Apr 13, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
I see that reviews are all over the place for this book, but I have to say that I enjoyed this. There were lots of parts that made me chuckle out loud and I didn't mind the ridiculous escalation of the "mistaken identities" plot at all, it was almost to the level of comic farce stage play towards the end. I found the main characters funny and likeable. Sometimes the story seemed a little jumpy and there were quite a few grammatical errors (that I would have no doubt skimmed by without noticing h ...more
Sharyn
Aug 14, 2015 Sharyn rated it liked it
I finally got to this book!! And I was sort of disappointed. I liked this the least of the series (I read this and the next today. It is 115 degrees out and did not leave the house) Daniel, who I have enjoyed in other books, was just too ridiculous in this one. Too many misunderstandings and lying. Sort of like Richard Shelton in one of her other books, they pretend to be someone else and then get jealous when the heroine falls in love (or pretends to) with the alter ego. Then they take forever ...more
Abby
Jul 11, 2008 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
No wonder the very thin premise of this book (mistaken identities) lasted so long when every one was either muttering or speaking under their breath. I don't think a single character ever spoke a word out loud. The premise was silly and the writing felt rushed. As a result the characters came of as one-dimensional and I just couldn't bring myself to care at all about them or their situation.

Not my favorite Victoria Alexander, but others are near-to-classics. Check out "The Wedding Bargain" for
Sara ♥
Jan 09, 2008 Sara ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2008
Book 3 in Victoria Alexander's Last Man Standing quartet.

Okay, my review might sound a bit strange, but just hold in there. I LOVED this book--I wanted to rate it 4.5 stars... but I can't.

Okay, so the premise. Okay, so the book starts out with Lady Cordelia Bannister talking with her parents about a marriage that her father (Earl of Marsham) has apparently set up between her and a guy named Daniel Sinclair. Daniel's father is a wealthy American businessman who Cordelia's dad wants to merge compa
Hanife
Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Kitap benim için çok çelişkiliydi. Kahkahalarla güldüğüm yerlerle, yazara "Aman şu yer değiştirme olayını uzatmasan olmaz zaten, okuru süründüreceksin mutlaka!" dediğim yerlere eşitti. Birde kitapta, hani komedi filmlerinde olur ya, adam bir şey konuşur, en yakın ama muzur arkadaş zeki ve alaycı laflarla cümleyi toparlar, bu tip durumlar çok vardı ve eğlenceliydi bu yüzden. Hele kitabın sonundaki cümbüş !

Amerikalı karakterleri okumayı seviyor
An Odd1
Dec 21, 2014 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
In silly mistaken identities like Shakespeare, Cordelia 25 p 13 rushes up to American Daniel Sinclair 31 p 24. She greets him as his secretary Warren Lewis, poses as her companion Sarah Palmer. Overcome by her green eyes, "rather a convenient height" p 25, "nose just pert enough to be charming" p 28, he falls in with the ruse.

He follows her to Brighton, then she follows him back to London. Their fathers insist that refusal to wed would cause "a detrimental reversal of family income" p 13. They
Michelle
May 23, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews but I really enjoyed this story. Cordelia wanted to get information about the man her father wanted her to marry. It started out with Cordelia pretending to be her companion and a "mistaken identity" that Daniel never corrected. These two put on such a farce that they dug themselves deeper and deeper into a hole. Neither of them wanted to be the first to admit the truth even though they had already fallen in love with one another. I loved the little game ...more
Holly
Considering that the plot was so over the top silly and ridiculous, I'm amazed that I ended up enjoying this book as much as I did. It truly is a testament to the talent of Alexander, who has single-handedly been the catalyst for my new-found love for the historical/Regency romance genre.

Alexander's trademark dash of humor, and the sheer likability of her characters saved this novel for me. Especially towards the end, when the absurdity of the H&H's situation began to spiral out of control a
Esra
Dec 30, 2011 Esra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
İlk iki kitabından dolayı bu kitaba beklentim düşük başladım.Fakat beklentimin üstünde çıktı. Beni güldürdü.Sonlara doğru biraz baysada eğlenceliydi.Serinin okuduğum en güzel kitabıydı.
Rita
Aug 06, 2015 Rita rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Though I'm a fool for a good romance this novel was witty and surprising. It certainly overided my expectations.
Sophie
Jul 21, 2016 Sophie rated it liked it
H/h were so self centered! I couldn't overlook the to really enjoy the story!
Maura
I'm a big fan of romances where the H/h think they can't be together but they actually CAN. You get your angst and get to eat the cake. Wait, I think I mixed my metaphors. ANYWAY. Cordelia and Daniel are set up in a positively antiquated arranged marriage. Steam power is king, Victoria is on the throne, who has ever heard of such a thing in this day and age? They're both understandably against it, but, (what I enjoy) willing to at least see if they like each other and whatnot. Cordelia is willin ...more
In a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and hidden identities Cordelia and Daniel manage to fall in love, convenient seeing as there fathers have arraigned a unwanted marriage between the two of them. When Cordelia finds out that she is to marry Daniel she is appalled that she would be forced into an arranged marriage, in an attempt to judge her husband-to-be's character she approaches his friend in the guise of her companion. Unfortunately the vague description that she received of Daniel' ...more
Patria
Mar 07, 2011 Patria rated it really liked it
Judy
Aug 28, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Daniel Sinclair is the 3rd out of 4 bachelors. He and Oliver are the only two men standing yet from their bet. But after this book, only Oliver is left.

Lady Cordelia Bannister is almost 26 and loves to travel. She really would marry if she found the right man, she just has not found him yet.
Her father has now told her she will marry Daniel Sinclair and it will help save his shipping business. Her family's future depends on her and this marriage- no stress there.

Daniel has no desire to marry but
Pamela
Sep 18, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it
This book gets a 3.5 stars from me. I have read each book in the Last Man Standing Series, this being book three.. I felt that the storyline, was founded on one Idea ,that over took the complete storyline, and made it drag in places. The entire book was about mistaken identity. Daniel Sinclair's who I liked in other books, kept telling lie after lie, and ignoring good advice for bad. Lady Cordelia intentionally. gives a false name, and also has trouble telling the truth. I. honestly wanted to lo ...more
Maggie
Nov 06, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it
I would have given this book 4 stars if I would have known this was part of a series before I borrowed it from the library, read in order this would probably would have been better. I liked the premise, 4 gentlemen, 1 bet on who would get married last. This one was #3 and of course ended in marriage. The entire book was one big misunderstanding, at times quite annoying. Realization of the misunderstanding by each character was amusing though. Epilogue #1 makes me feel bad for the last bachelor s ...more
Aisha
Nov 30, 2014 Aisha rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
i think this is a solid romance novel. while i share the frustration of other reviewers with the amount of talking and ridiculous lying between H/h, it did not completely mar the charm of this book. i am sick of reading the damsel in distress novels so one with a slightly odd, energetic,intelligent woman of a certain age (at least for this time period) is a lovely change. in this tale, cordelia poses as her companion sarah to get to know her would be husband daniel while he does the same but as ...more
Gina Hott
May 18, 2010 Gina Hott rated it it was amazing
Lady Amelia has decided to take a lover. Announcing it to her husband over breakfast probably wasn't the way to begin this adventure.
Although this isn't on of her longer novels, I absolutely loved it!
Victoria Alexander has a way of making me laugh that no one else does! The antics of this husband and wife are truely hilarious. She really doesn't want a lover - just her husband's attention. He really doesn't want her to take a lover - but he offers to help. They both enlist the help of his twin
April
Dec 10, 2007 April rated it it was ok
I've read the first two in this series and know that the male character in this book will get married eventually, so the mystery of the "last man standing" has pretty much been solved for me.

This book was kind of slow in my opinion. The characters needed to get together a lot sooner than they did. It was a nice idea, but I think it the author dragged it out too much.

I miss the historical romance books from Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsey (the older books by her--not the newer ones she has been pu
Natha
Awalnya mau memberikan dua bintang saja untuk buku ini. Bukan apa-apa, sejak awal, tidak terlalu menyenangkan membacanya. Sifat tokoh utama perempuan yang 'sedikit' egois membuat sebal dan jadi tidak simpatik. Belum tarik ulur yang jadi terasa hambar dan menyebalkan. Aku justru kasihan dengan Daniel Sinclair yang terpaksa dijodohkan dengan Lady Cordelia demi perjanjian bisnis.

Namun...

Aku suka klimaksnya!

Akhirnya ada yang seru juga dari buku ini. :P
Meski aku tidak terlalu suka karena ending setel
Melissa
May 25, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
How many times have you wanted to be someone else to find out something on someone? Here Lady Cordelia and Mr. Daniel Sinclair find out how long they can carry on the charade. Cordelia pretends to be Miss Palmer to find out more about her soon to be betrothed, Daniel, by asking his employee, Warren Lewis, about his character. Although she confronts Daniel as Mr. Lewis, he does nothing to correct her...a must read to see what folly the heart will lead you into when you least expect it. Will true ...more
Brenda (b)
I love Ms. Alexander's stories. This one was quite good though not one of the best. I felt the deception of identities went on a little long. Of the four men involved in the tontine (and the two previous books), I had a feeling Daniel would be a more difficult character to get involved with because he's "the odd man out" in being American. He didn't have the same background of London Society that the others have so he doesn't quite have the same depth of character.

I'm still looking forward to th
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Jan 11, 2013 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it it was amazing
Cordelia is an on-the-shelf, independent, avid traveller, intelligent woman. Daniel is an intelligent and rich american who has been promised in marriage to Cordelia with a business proposition. Both pose as other people to get to know their prospective spouses. The game blows up in their faces when they fall in love with each other. Doubts and insecurities, families unite, and lovers reunite to make this a great read!!
Jeanette
Jun 07, 2015 Jeanette rated it really liked it
I noticed a pattern while reading these books in the Last Man Standing series: slow moving in the beginning then it picks up speed about halfway through and by the time I'm done I'm so delighted I can't wait to read the next one. In Book 3, there was more anticipation for excitement what with the characters playing cat and mouse with THEIR characters. I'm enjoying this series and know that I will be disappointed when the last book is read....
Nicole
Oct 07, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: a-to-z-2015
I listened to this as an audiobook while working on some projects. I don't know if I could have finished it so quickly had I been reading. While the story was decent part of it felt unnecessary and drawn out. Just as I was getting to the point of irratation the story did take a turn of events and progress forward again.

Although a large part of my rating has to do with the narrator. There was not much voice variation and at times it was difficult to tell who was speaking... male or female.
Jenn
Oct 25, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
This is a very well-written book. I laughed so much and was so entertained by these two characters it was fantastic. It is romantic in its nature but the secrets between Cordilia and Daniel just seems to stretch new heights. When you think you can deceive another you end up deceiving yourself. It was so entertaining to see how they try to they undo their "secrets" only to make matters worse. Definitely an entertaining read that keeps you smiling.
Readitnweep
Feb 19, 2012 Readitnweep rated it really liked it
This story had a fun, unique twist to the plot that I enjoyed very much. And the characters, Cordelia and Daniel, were engaging. They were also coniving, prejudiced and manipulative - in other words, fully dimensional and interesting characters!

Also, kudos to the author for not bringing them together until the end. I liked how she had them find out - which I thought was well paced, not too dragged out. Well written and a very fun read. I'm looking for more from this author.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 22, 2015 12:17PM
  • The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell (McBride Family, #1)
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • Memoirs of a Scandalous Red Dress (Bachelor Chronicles, #5)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Barefoot Princess (Lost Princesses, #2)
  • To Sin With a Stranger (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • Beguiled (Regency Trilogy, #3)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Overlord's Bride (Warrior, #13)
  • The Marriage Wager (The Matchmaker #1)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Last Man Standing (4 books)
  • A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1)
  • What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2)
  • Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing #4)

“She might have been a for­tune hunter, you know."

"Not an es­pe­cially good one." War­ren laughed. "I have no for­tune."

"But you will one day." Daniel shook his head. "It's never too soon to take pre­cau­tions."

"Ah yes. Lord save me from lovely young women.”
0 likes