Start by marking “Have You Seen Marie?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen Marie?

Have You Seen Marie?

The internationally acclaimed author of The House on Mango Street gives us a deeply moving tale of loss, grief, and healing: a lyrically told, richly illustrated fable for grown-ups about a woman’s search for a cat who goes missing in the wake of her mother’s death.

The word “orphan” might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra f
Published October 2nd 2012 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

Melissa Tamayo
Dec 25, 2012 Melissa Tamayo rated it it was amazing
I think I too enjoyed the afterword a little more than the actual story... But still!!

Such a simple , powerful book! Sandra Cisneros has such a beautiful way with words. I love her constant use of similies & metaphors. It's as if she has no fear in her writing. Anyway.. I saw an interview she did in regards to this book & I just HAD to read it when I read a quote from it online.. (other reviewers have quoted it too..) "in Mexico they say when someone you love dies, a part of you dies wi
Kelly
Apr 22, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok
Wavering between two and three stars. I picked this up from the New Releases shelf at the library because I liked The House on Mango Street way back when. (Despite his misogyny, the legacy of my freshman English teacher lives on!) It's a quick read, like a longer children's book. The illustrations are lovely and Cisneros uses powerful language, but the story really didn't grab me. The metaphor of looking for a lost cat as a way of grieving her mother is underdeveloped; it gets lost in the detail ...more
Suanne Laqueur
I bought this on a whim, thinking I could read it out loud with my daughter. I did and it was wonderful wonderful, most wonderful. A beautiful story, beautifully illustrated.
Angela
Sep 03, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, owned
I was lucky enough to attend a reading of this book by Sandra Cisneros, and I must say she did an amazing job of bringing this story to life (not that reading it alone wouldn't be wonderful as well). The story is deceptively simple enough for anyone to enjoy - children included - but when you start looking into the layers of emotion and the meaning behind the characters in the story, it becomes a new experience.

The book is tied in with Cisneros' personal experience, and, honestly, that's what ma
Mona  AlvaradoFrazier
Oct 23, 2012 Mona AlvaradoFrazier rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite quotes (of many) from this lovely book is "There is no getting over death only learning how to travel alongside of it." The quote aptly describes the journey the author takes you through while she is searching for her lost cat, Marie.

There is so much to love about this book before one even begins reading. From the first page of illustrations, by Ester Hernandez, artista extraordinaire, I was captured by their serenity and vibrancy.

Some of the images in the book reminded me of
Harley
Nov 12, 2012 Harley rated it it was amazing
It has the form of a children's book, with charming and colorful illustrations and large type, succinct paragraphs. But Cisneros says in her Afterward that she wrote it, following the death of her mother, for adults. Sandra's friend Roz, along with her cat, Marie, drives three days from Tacoma to visit in San Antonio. Marie promptly runs off. We become acquainted with Cisnero's San Antonio, and with neighbors (many of them real people, who posed for the artist) who are eager to help as Roz and ...more
Dallas
Oct 19, 2012 Dallas rated it it was amazing
This book touched me where I needed it, though I wasn't aware of that need at all. I am in a state of grief, and these words were a healing poultice to my heart.

The book reads like a long poem. Sandra is searching for a cat, but really, the part of herself she lost when her mother died.

Ms. Cisernos paints a lovely picture of her San Antonio neighborhood, with its eclectic residents of varied cultural backgrounds. She weaves them together like the individuals they are into an even more beauitful
Kathy
Jan 23, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
Based on a book review I had read, I looked forward to reading this book. Although childlike in its simplicity, I felt like I was missing what other reviewers found so profound. So I read the book a second time (mind you, it's less than 100 pages with illustrations). The premise is that through the process of looking for a lost cat, the author has a spiritual journey dealing with the death of her mother. I think the book is beautifully illustrated, but reading the Afterward was my favorite part. ...more
Jenny C.
Jan 22, 2014 Jenny C. rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Cisneros, and she really does use some beautiful language here. Some of the natural objects shown have anthropomorphic traits, but the images are fresh. I also like the concept behind the book, the larger idea that we can become orphans when we experience parental loss. I also give her kudos for involving her community in this work and letting Ester Hernandez do some beautiful drawings. In the end, though, this "fable for adults," left me wanting for more depth. I wanted to be ...more
Raisi
Dec 05, 2013 Raisi rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Just what I needed to read.
It really heals your heart.
Viridiana Word
Jan 24, 2013 Viridiana Word rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latino-authors
At first I thought this was a children's book, and for a minute I felt resentful that this book could be read in one sitting as opposed to over a period of time, so I could savor it. However when I finished the story, as well as the afterword, I suddenly felt exhilarated, and a rainbow of emotions swept over me. I lost my grandmother about eight years ago, and my grandfather a few years after that. Although I felt like I grieved, every part of this book resonates the feeling of loss that ...more
Joy Murray
Nov 20, 2012 Joy Murray rated it liked it
I love picture books and think they are essentially all for adults. I think some of our best artists are illustrating picture books. I was excited about this one because it's geared towards adults and the theme is grieving. I thought the story and pictures blended well, but I would have been happy if some of the afterword was woven through the story -- which is like a poem. It's also a story about a neighborhood, a time of life, a city and a friendship. I could read it with a child or read it ...more
Fred Kohn
Apr 26, 2013 Fred Kohn rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story which weaved together the search for a lost cat and the grieving for a lost mother. Cisneros has a unique knack for writing in a highly poetic fashion but making it seem like everyday conversation. This in itself would make the book wonderful enough, but the meshing together of the story with the evocative illustrations of Esther Hernandez put this book over the top.
Mary
Based on a real event, Sandra Cisneros tells a moving tale about looking for a friend's cat a few weeks after her mother's death. The search through her San Antonio neighborhood interrupts her mourning and eventually helps with her grieving. A transformative journey that celebrates love and community. A book for all ages and for anyone dealing with loss.
Yoonmee
Mar 25, 2013 Yoonmee rated it it was ok
Shelves: latino-a
I really wanted to like this, but it falls short of the mark for me. Maybe I feel disappointed because I had such high expectations for it. It's a nice story, but something about it falls short of profound. Or maybe I fall short of profound b/c I fail to "get" what everyone else seems to "get" about the book. Like many other reviewers, I agree that the Afterword really helps complete the book.
Christian Paula
Nov 17, 2015 Christian Paula rated it really liked it
A lovely picture book for adults about grief and loss and being an orphan in middle age. The writing is so poetic and the illustrations are beautiful and full of life despite the sadness. A wonderful collaboration.
Julie
Apr 24, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
I loved this from the author in the Afterword:

There is no getting over death, only learning how to travel alongside it. It knows no linear time. Sometimes the pain is as fresh as if it just happened. Sometimes it's a space I tap with my tongue daily like a missing molar.
Jean Grant
Feb 09, 2013 Jean Grant rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely little book, a kind gift to give a friend or relative suffering a loss. It shows human kindness and how everyone suffers--but presents this gloomy theme in a way that makes it half-acceptable.
Mary Jo Malo
Jun 11, 2016 Mary Jo Malo rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated story written for adults about loss, community, pets and the in-betweens of life and death.
Adrielle
Nov 07, 2012 Adrielle rated it it was ok
A lovely concept, certainly. I preferred the afterward to the story.
Susan
Jul 28, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
I love you, Sandra.
Amber
Mar 02, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2013
Reading the Afterword really gave the story a new meaning and upped it from 3 to 4 stars for me.
Marilyn
Nov 29, 2016 Marilyn rated it liked it
From the afterwords:
In Mexico they say when someone you love dies, a part of you dies with them but they forget to mention that a part of them is born in you, not immediately, but eventually, and gradually. It’s an opportunity to be reborn. When you are in-between births, there should be some way to indicate to all ‘Beware, I am not as I was before, handle me with care.’
Blow Pop
Nov 21, 2016 Blow Pop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, 2016
Review tba.
Peggy
Oct 20, 2016 Peggy rated it liked it
Simple story of dealing/healing after loss.
Emma Ivie
Sep 19, 2016 Emma Ivie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetic
This book was charming and beautiful. I loved the art, and I loved how the story seemed like a child's story at first with their search for the cat but then delved into more serious topics like loss and grief.
Diane
Apr 04, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Have You seen Marie? is tender story of both words and illustrations told in fewer than 100 pages. It is a story that deals with the loss of a loved one, the grief and sometimes even paralysis that can follow, and finally the beginning of the critical healing process, so important to one's future well-being.

Losing a mother is painful regardless of our age at the time of loss. Author Sandra Cisneros, was 53 years-old when her mother died. After her passing Sandra hid herself from the world while
Gail
Oct 20, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandra-cisneros
I have read this book in both its original English (Have you seen Marie?) and this translation. It may appear simple, and perhaps it is (in format), but it is also profound. The translation is wonderful, as are the illustrations. Those in this area of Texas will no doubt recognize some of the places and perhaps even some of the people in it. (It takes place in San Antonio, and the person grieved is her mother.)

From the Afterword (Epílogo), which you must read:
"In Mexico they say when someone yo
Regina
This is a very short story by an author I have come to appreciate over the years. It seems that lately I have been reading quite a few books about dealing with grief and loss over a parent (e.g. A Monster Calls and Under the Mesquite ). This book looks at the death of a parent from the point of view of an adult child. I found this book inspiring and uplifting. Upon finishing, I immediately called my mom and texted my dad. How can a book that deals with grief over loss be inspiring? It inspired m ...more
Deyanne
Oct 18, 2012 Deyanne rated it really liked it
I have long appreciated Sandra Cisneros' skill in capturing the similarities rather than the differences in cultures. Innately she seems to be able to get "under the skin" of her protagonist or main character and express sentiments and feelings almost with a "universal eye". This little book dealing with loss, death, lonliness, love and rebuilding is no exception. The story is simple and the art complimentary.
As a stand alone I may not have ranked the book quite as high. I appreciated the after
  • A Wedding in Haiti
  • Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba
  • Toning The Sweep
  • Make Him Look Good
  • Give It To Me
  • Lotería
  • The Death of Fidel Pérez
  • Separate Roads to Feminism: Black, Chicana, and White Feminist Movements in America's Second Wave
  • Chicano! the History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement
  • I Pledge Allegiance
  • A Xicana Codex of Changing Consciousness: Writings, 2000-2010
  • Bird of Paradise: How I Became Latina
  • Dancing With Butterflies
Sandra Cisneros was born in Chicago in 1954. Internationally acclaimed for her poetry and fiction, she has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the American Book Award, and of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the MacArthur Foundation. Cisneros is the author of two novels The House on Mango Street and Caramelo; a collection of short ...more
More about Sandra Cisneros...