4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  59 reviews
"What is breathtakingly shown here, through accurate, cross-hatched watercolor paintings; excerpts from Sullivan’s correspondence to her former teacher; and concise and poetic language, is the woman’s patience and belief in the intelligence of her student to grasp the concepts of language," praised School Library Journal in a starred review.

Author Deborah Hopkinson and ill...more
Published September 11th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Annie and Helen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Annie and Helen

Margo Tanenbaum
While there are many, many books about Helen Keller targeted at young readers, Deborah Hopkinson and Raul Colon have added to these riches with a lovely picture book biography that focuses on the intense relationship between Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan.

Hopkins intersperses her narrative, which begins on the day when Annie Sullivan came into Helen Keller's life, with excerpts from Annie's own letters to her friend and former teacher, Sophia Hopkins. We see Helen throwing a viole...more
Dolly
Nov 28, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful version of the Helen Keller story. It's such a familiar story for me, from learning about her in school and from watching the movie version of The Miracle Worker starring Patty Duke.

But I think this is one of the best versions I've read. It tells Helen's story concisely, focusing on the first few months that she spent with Annie Sullivan, but adds enough emotion and details to keep a child's interest. And the illustrations are wonderful, too. We really enjoyed reading this b...more
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: ANNIE AND HELEN by Deborah Hopkinson & Raul Colón, Schwartz & Wade, September 2012, 48p., ISBN: 978-0-375-85706-5

“Hey you, out there beyond the wall
Breaking bottles in the hall
Can you help me?”
--Pink Floyd, “Hey You”

“But although Helen quickly learned to mimic these finger-words,
she didn’t understand that each motion was a letter,
that letters make up words,
and that words could be names for things.
She didn’t know that the cold, sweet taste on her tongue was called ice crea...more
Laura Salas
by Deborah Hopkinson
Schwartz & Wade, 2012

I only know the most basic information about Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan, and I always kind of wondered *exactly* how Annie taught a child who could neither see nor hear to make words. It seems like an impossible task!

This book explains it all, in a way that acknowledges the enormity of the task but makes the process understandable. Helen is a real, frustrated, tantrum-throwing girl. And Annie is a real person, patient, firm, and de...more
Jessica Harrison
Full review at Cracking the Cover

There are a number of elements that make “Annie and Helen” stand out. Three days after Annie entered the Keller home, she began sending letters to Sophia C. Hopkins, a friend and former teacher. Excerpts from those letters are included throughout the book, providing an added depth that couldn’t be found elsewhere.

Deborah Hopkinson’s text is simple but sophisticated. There’s no talking down to young readers here. Fine illustrations by Raul Colon fill in the gaps a...more
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

Deborah Hopkinson's story of Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller really brings the story of Helen's life and Annie's teaching to life. With the help of Raul Colon's illustrations and quotes from letters of Annie's, the reader truly understands what it was like for Annie and Helen.

Since I teach Hurt Go Happy which is about a deaf young lady named Joey, this book will be a great picture book to include during that unit. My students are always fasci...more
Kelly
Annie and Helen, by Deborah Hopkinson and Raul Colon, is a nominee for the 2014-15 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

Annie and Helen is an ideal book for introducing young readers to the inspiring story of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan. The book takes readers through both Sullivan's and Keller's early lives and their quest to find a way for young Helen to communicate with the world around her.

The watercolor illustrations in Annie and Helen combine beautifully with the poetic narra...more
Samantha
A picture book biography of Helen Keller with a focus on the early years she spent learning from her teacher Annie Sullivan. Included are some excerpts from Sullivan's personal letters. Illustrations are rendered in watercolor.

A great read aloud introduction to an important person. Recommended for grades 3-5.
Lorna
Great picture book biography. I love how the author incorporated Annie's letters about her progress with Helen in the story. While their story is widely known, there were a few new things that I learned. Be sure to read the author's note at the front. Would recommend for grades 1-4.
Kyndall Mckemie
There is a definite reason this book made the South Carolina Children's Book Award. Stories of Helen Keller have always been heavily grounded in narratives describing the overcoming of impossible odds. What makes this story special is the influence of a character behind the scenes and ultimately responsible for Keller's success, her mentor Annie. The theme of "it takes a village" goes to show all of the special people that one encounters in a lifetime and what they mean in the end. From a biogra...more
Jessica
I really love this book as a learning tool for children. Whoever designed the inside cover is amazing and brilliant. The inside cover of this book contains all kinds of photographs of Anne Sullivan and Helen Keller spanning a number of years. The illustrations are also done very well for this book, but to see an actual picture and put a real face to a person is beneficial for the reader.

The story is the classic story of young Helen's live from the time Anne Sullivan arrived on her doorstep. Hel...more
Kara Walker
This children's book beautifully depicts the life of Helen Keller as a child, a child who has to undergo the difficult process of learning how to maneuver throughout the world as a blind and deaf woman. With the help of Annie Sullivan, Helen learns to spell words, learns how to read and write, and is even able to understand sound through the vibrations she feels. This story not only tells of Helen's perseverance, but it also sheds life into the importance of Annie. Without Annie's determination...more
Carolyn Krecklow
Author has a wonderful descriptive way with words!
Expressions : “Helen was like a small,wild bird, throwing herself against the bars of a dark and silent cage.”
“like someone on a windy peak trying to kindle a fire for warmth, Annie kept hoping for a spark to catch.”
“Suddenly the rush of water and the touch of Annie’s fingers flashed through Helen’s mind like lightening in a midnight sky.”
Featured interspersed throughout the book in italics are portions of Annie’s letters ‘home’ to her friend and...more
Mike Romesburg
Barbara
With powerful watercolor illustrations that allow emotions to play over the faces of this book's subjects, Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller, and the Braille alphabet on the book's back cover, readers are thrust into the world of a child whose teacher opened the world's possibilities to her. Since the book contains excerpts from letters written by both women, it is possible to experience Sullivan's frustration and determination to work with Helen. The text also highlights the joy with which Helen...more
Ashley Stegall
I checked this out from the Library to read to my three year old. We don't watch television, but we read many many books. I am always trying to find ones that will educate as well as keep her attention. At three this is sometimes hard to do. However, she really enjoyed this book, especially when Annie is first teaching Helen the hand gestures. I really enjoyed reading this to her, and we will definitely have to revisit this one!
Anne Broyles
Although there are already man fine biographies of Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan, this one gives insight into both women by using Sullivan's letters to a former teacher, and at the end, Helen's first letter home. So woven into the well-known story are additional details that show the compassion, patience and intelligence with which Sullivan taught.
Marfita
The story of Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller cannot fail to move the reader. Helen's story fueled the imaginations of my friends and me. It is even more moving to read about the two as an adult.
This is a very good retelling with pen and ink and watercolor illustrations.
Liz B
This wasn't as interesting as some other picture book biographies I've read, perhaps because Helen Keller is so widely known, and I've already read so much about her over the years. I did enjoy studying the illustrations. Probably it's great to use in the classroom.
The Library Lady
This picture book focuses just on the first year or two of Helen Keller's life with Annie Sullivan, her remarkable "Teacher" and does a good job of explaining that remarkable story to a younger audience.Some of the artwork here is wonderful, some seems slightly flat and distorted.
There are a lot of books about Helen Keller out there--personally I've been reading them all since around 1970.d this is a nice one, though it doesn't rock my world. I'll be waiting to see if Doreen Rappaport's Helen's...more
Peg
The text is clear and very informative; I particularly liked how Hopkinson was able to convey the difficulty in teaching Helen to acquire language, making this the focus rather than being another biography of Helen's life. Would Helen ever have done so without tenacious Annie (also disabled, as Hopkinson makes clear) by her side? The inclusion of quotes from Annie's letters offers a perspective from Annie's POV. Photos on the endpapers show Helen through the years, with Annie occasionally in the...more
Jill Cd
A beautifully illustrated book that concisely gives the reader a snapshot into Helen's life. I love this book as it clearly is written for easy interesting reading. The inside covers display actual photos of Helen with pertinent captions. For the child that is being introduced to this remarkable human being, this book is a must.
Holly
Thanks, Mr. Schu, for this book! I won it in his blog contest. I've always been fascinated by Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan, so I'm glad new books are being made about them. This one has beautiful photographs lining the inside covers, and I liked the letters throughout that Annie wrote to her friend and former teacher back home in Boston about her experiences with Helen. It never ceases to amaze me the strength and willpower it took for Annie to break through the barriers and teach Helen to co...more
Dana Pressnell
Detailed picture book and biography of Anne Sullivan teaching Helen Keller to speak, understand, and write to communicate
Sandy Brehl
There are many books relating the story of Annie Sullivan's teaching of Helen Keller. This picture book combines narrative that explains the way in which Annie's finger spelling lessons evolved into elaborate language and communication skills for Helen, paired with excerpts from Annie's letters/journal notes about the process. Illustrations, photos on the endpapers, and text combine to tell this story with clarity and appeal.
Christina
A picture book biography about Helen Keller and her teacher Annie Sullivan. The art is average, not really anything that made me sit up and notice. Some nice writing, though, such as this passage describing how Annie felt while repeatedly fingerspelling words and hoping Helen would catch on to what she was doing: "Like someone on a windy peak trying to kindle a fire for warmth, Annie kept hoping for a spark to catch."
Linda
This recent book tells the story of the four months it took Annie Sullivan's gentle and clever teaching so that Helen could understand how language worked, its purpose, and that she could use it for the communication of whatever she wishes. The illustrations follow the story with realistic, vibrant pictures, a good beginning to knowledge of these brilliant people for young students.
IrenesChristianReviews
I gave this book 5/5 stars. I loved this book! I think it is the perfect telling of Annie and Helen’s story. I liked how the book was illustrated and especially liked the writing. If you are looking for a book about her life and how learning to communicate changed it, this book is for you. I think all children should have this book read to them or at least read it on their own.
Carol
This is a beautiful book about the relationship between Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller. It takes the informaion right from Annie's letters about Helen and there is a nice authors note at the beginning that gives some insight into Annie Sullivan's life that I didn't know before reading this. The watercolor illustrations by Raul Colon are very pretty and bring this story to life.
Nancy
Helen Keller was a remarkable person. She lost her sight and her hearing when she was very young and grew up in a world with no sound and no light. I can’t even imagine what her life was like. When her parents hired Annie Sullivan to teach Helen, it was a life changer. Annie was able to break down the walls to Helen’s world and help her understand the world around her.
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Those Rebels, John and Tom
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • Words Set Me Free: The Story of Young Frederick Douglass
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell
  • Looking at Lincoln
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • Nic Bishop Snakes
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
I write picture books, nonfiction, and middle grade fiction. I love history and visiting schools to talk to young readers.

TITANIC: VOICES FROM THE DISASTER was named a 2013 Sibert Honor Book and a 2013 YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist. Annie and Helen was a finalist for a 2013 Oregon Book Award.

My most recent books are KNIT YOUR BIT, a World War I story, a historical fiction picture book s...more
More about Deborah Hopkinson...
Titanic: Voices From the Disaster Dear America, Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America Series) Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)