Start by marking “Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race, and Finding Home” as Want to Read:
Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race, and Finding Home

Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race, and Finding Home

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the heroic lawyer who spoke out against Clarence Thomas in the historic confirmation hearings twenty years ago

“This ambitious book provides just as dignified and well intentioned a performance as the one she gave at those hearings.
Megan Buskey, The New York Times Book Review

Through the stories of remarkable African American women, including her own great-great-gra
Published September 4th 2012 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Reimagining Equality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reimagining Equality

Nick
Some combination of my mother and Anita Hill made me a feminist. I was obsessed with the Hill-Thomas hearings in high school and wrote her a letter at the time. I also heard her speak the next year and read her first book, Speaking Truth to Power, an account of the hearings and their aftermath. Hill is a contract lawyer by training and teaching, but about ten years ago she got a new job at Brandeis in public policy and women's & gender studies, and so she's writing about other things now too ...more
Tayari Jones
I actually read Anita Hill’s new book, Reimagining Equality this summer, but it was just released yesterday. This is the what I wrote for the back of her book. It doesn’t really do justice to this complex and full-of-heart book that is clearly a labor of love.

“Combining the sincerity of memoir and the rigor of sociology, Anita Hill looks at home as a physical space, but also as a microcosm of American society. The women profiled in this engaging and moving book illustrate the challenges of liv
Dawn
Anita Hill brings up so many thoughts from what happened to women of color after the civil war to their exploitation during the sub prime mortage debacle. She doesn't just talk about problems, but offers ideas to make improvements to ensure home ownership and stable neighborhoods for inner cities that also suffered during the housing market problems.
Catherine Gentry
The second book I've read lately by Anita Hill. I enjoyed it too. Thoughtful and provocative. I'd not realized that the sum-prime victims were mostly women--although I was not surprised. As much as we'd like to think that misogyny is dead, it is alive and thriving--albeit maybe more subtly.
Christina Boyle
This was such a moving story regarding Ms. Hill's personal heritage. Her comments on the housing crisis were refreshing and eye-opening. I truly enjoyed the book.
Stefanie
Excellent compilation of stories, family history, and current information regarding race and gender in America. Highly recommended!
Nadine B Hack
I really loved this book that adeptely weaves personal stories, legal history and important trends. I highly recommend this book.
Afrah
It felt like something was missing the whole time I was reading it.
Lynaya
Lynaya marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Emily Shaw
Emily Shaw marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Toneez Inspiration
Toneez Inspiration marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Airess
Airess marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Palak
Palak marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Liz Wolfert
Liz Wolfert marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Rowan
Rowan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Joan
Joan is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Ev
Ev marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sunil Jawahir
Sunil Jawahir marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Normadene Murphy
Normadene Murphy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014