Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race, and Finding Home

Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race, and Finding Home

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the heroic lawyer who spoke out against Clarence Thomas in the historic confirmation hearings twenty years ago

“This ambitious book provides just as dignified and well intentioned a performance as the one she gave at those hearings.
Megan Buskey, The New York Times Book Review

Through the stories of remarkable African American women, including her own great-great-gra...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Nick
Some combination of my mother and Anita Hill made me a feminist. I was obsessed with the Hill-Thomas hearings in high school and wrote her a letter at the time. I also heard her speak the next year and read her first book, Speaking Truth to Power, an account of the hearings and their aftermath. Hill is a contract lawyer by training and teaching, but about ten years ago she got a new job at Brandeis in public policy and women's & gender studies, and so she's writing about other things now too...more
Tayari Jones
I actually read Anita Hill’s new book, Reimagining Equality this summer, but it was just released yesterday. This is the what I wrote for the back of her book. It doesn’t really do justice to this complex and full-of-heart book that is clearly a labor of love.

“Combining the sincerity of memoir and the rigor of sociology, Anita Hill looks at home as a physical space, but also as a microcosm of American society. The women profiled in this engaging and moving book illustrate the challenges of liv...more
Dawn
Anita Hill brings up so many thoughts from what happened to women of color after the civil war to their exploitation during the sub prime mortage debacle. She doesn't just talk about problems, but offers ideas to make improvements to ensure home ownership and stable neighborhoods for inner cities that also suffered during the housing market problems.
Catherine Gentry
The second book I've read lately by Anita Hill. I enjoyed it too. Thoughtful and provocative. I'd not realized that the sum-prime victims were mostly women--although I was not surprised. As much as we'd like to think that misogyny is dead, it is alive and thriving--albeit maybe more subtly.
Christina Boyle
This was such a moving story regarding Ms. Hill's personal heritage. Her comments on the housing crisis were refreshing and eye-opening. I truly enjoyed the book.
Stefanie
Excellent compilation of stories, family history, and current information regarding race and gender in America. Highly recommended!
Nadine B Hack
I really loved this book that adeptely weaves personal stories, legal history and important trends. I highly recommend this book.
Afrah
It felt like something was missing the whole time I was reading it.
Joan
Joan is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Ev
Ev marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sunil Jawahir
Sunil Jawahir marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Normadene Murphy
Normadene Murphy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Amy Glynn
Amy Glynn marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014