Start by marking “National Geographic Readers: Planets” as Want to Read:
National Geographic Readers: Planets

National Geographic Readers: Planets (National Geographic Readers)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This brilliantly illustrated book taps into children's natural curiosity about the vast world of space. This level two reader, written in simple language that is easy for young readers to understand, introduces children to our solar system, including all of the planets and dwarf planets, and lots of fascinating fun facts. This reader helps cultivate the explorers of tomorr ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about National Geographic Readers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic Readers

Jazmin Lomeli
Apr 30, 2016 Jazmin Lomeli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Planets and space have always fascinated me as a kid and as an adult and for there to be great books on it for younger kids is awesome. Planets by Elizabeth Carney does a great job in laying out all the basics in a simple way. Having information on what a planet is, the sun, gas giants, dwarf planets, and the moon. The book itself is small and only has 32 pages of information with large print since it is for level 2 readers which are readers who are ready for longer sentences and complex vocab b ...more
Clare McHale
Apr 23, 2016 Clare McHale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful national geographic read for kids! Most kids would enjoy this book. You could introduce this book and take some pages from it and put it into a PowerPoint so that it's fun and colorful and gives cool side tips on the planets. There's so much to learn about outer-space and when kids learn bits and pieces they just wanna learn everything about it.

The photos and illustrations are really amazing! This is a grade two reading level but it would be good in my opinion for grades 1-3
Alex Weaver
I selected this book because it was very straightforward with lots of images. It had very easy sentences as well as captions to engage the readers with higher thinking.

Twin-text:
Space Scout: The Gas Giant
(c) 2011 by H. Badger

I chose this book because it is a fun space book that is more make-believe than facts. It is about a space scout exploring the planet of Vapod, which has flying aliens. The scout must save the day when the planet is under attack.
This book is a good way to get children int
Amy Scott
Apr 03, 2015 Amy Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great National Geographic resource for young readers. The photos and illustrations are really nice and I love how each page is packed with all sorts of cool facts and interesting topics. Space and the planets were something I was always fascinated with as a kid and I think most kids still are today. It's a leveled reader too which is great resource to help choose an appropriate group to read it in the classroom. I particularly like the stump your parent questions, kids will love to ask t ...more
Amy
I think that this book is really only going to be something special to kids who know very little about the solar system. My kindergarten aged nephew knew a bit; he told me that Earth was the third planet from the sun, he knew the planets furthest from the sun are the coldest, and he knew that Wall-e is a rover, similar to the Mars rovers pictured in this book. The problem was, the book was a little too long to hold his interest the whole time. We read this in Kindle format, so maybe if we would ...more
Erin
May 02, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Planets” is a book by National Geographic Kids about planets. It incorporates student friendly language as it goes through important facts about our solar system and each of the planets in it. The book also discusses moons, how we explore space, different types of planets and even the sun. This book would be great to use when teaching a unit on text features. It could also be used as a way to get students engaged in independent reading, if it is a topic student(s) are interested in.
Golden Secondary School
Carney, E. (2012). National geographic readers: Planets. Washington: National Geographic Society. Available from http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ng.... eISBN: 9781426312816.

This Level 2 Nonfiction Reader provides great information about the planets. It is designed well with clear page numbers; the text and images are detailed, bright and well placed and the page turning is indicated with a small flashing spot.

There are handy little clue boxes with more detailed information and vocabulary wo
Christie Lee
I learned something that I didn't know about the planets in our solar system. There are colorful pictures and interesting facts, as well as jokes, and a stump your parents quiz in the back. There is also a glossary with pronunciation keys given in the back. I'm loving these National Geographic Kids readers!
Angela Hutchinson
This book provides information about the planets and the solar system. The pictures in this book are realistic and great for younger children to do a picture walk. Students that enjoy science and outer-space would enjoy reading this book. It also would be a good co-book for a science lesson on planets.
Sheri
Jul 31, 2014 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Font is large for early readers and pictures are prominent and captivating. Contains the the same layout and format found in all national geographic kids publications, which typically I don't love, but it is better then nothing.
Nancy
Aug 15, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really loving the National Geographic books for kids. This one had some interesting things about Planets, and they have good pictures. I love reading these books between my other reading.
david w. rong
Jan 03, 2015 david w. rong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book!

This book is an great book about Planets! I loved this book when I was a little kid! Now my little sister likes it!
Lauren Fidler
my kids (ages 4 and 2) LOVE this book. like LOOOOVVVEEEEEE it.

we read it, maybe 2-3 times a week. and they're obsessed with planets, solar systems, asteroids, stars, comets, etc.

provides good general overviews (although some info differs from other books we have read) and beautiful pictures.
Carol
National Geographic Kids Readers are fabulous for introducing kids to a variety of non-fiction subjects!
Kiddo
Nov 20, 2013 Kiddo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-with-facts
Good information, manageable size, silly jokes.
Aiden
KV GK
KV GK added it
May 28, 2016
Swati
Swati rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Weiying Teng
Weiying Teng rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Nikki
Nikki added it
May 16, 2016
Alison Schutt
Alison Schutt marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
TRAM School
TRAM School rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
C G HOLL
C G HOLL rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pluto Visits Earth!
  • What's So Special about Planet Earth?
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
  • Pirate Princess
  • National Geographic Readers: Volcanoes!
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
  • In the Sea
  • Planet Earth: What Planet Are You On? (Basher Science)
  • National Geographic Readers: Dolphins
  • Erika-San
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Uno's Garden
  • Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
  • Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl (Young American Voices, #1)
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Dolphins! (Step into Reading, Step 3)
Elizabeth Carney is a writer and editor based in Brooklyn, New York. She specializes in children's nonfiction and science, math, and STEM-related subjects.

Elizabeth received the 2005 AAAS Science Journalism Award for science reporting for children. Her titles Face to Face With Cheetahs, Face to Face With Gorillas, and Great Migrations: Whales, Wildebeests, Butterflies, Elephants, and Other Amazing
More about Elizabeth Carney...

National Geographic Readers (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Ants