Start by marking “Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes” as Want to Read:
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes

Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes presents the essential principles and methods for planning and sequencing yoga classes. Addressing one of the most popular topics in the yoga profession, this book offers sixty-seven model sequences of yoga poses (asanas) that cover the broad range of yoga student experience, including multiple sequences for beginning, ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by North Atlantic Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga Sequencing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga Sequencing

Bethany
This book was incredibly informative as well as readable. Each chapter of this book could have been a whole book on its own. It was precise without getting too technical and insightful without getting drowned out in philosophy, and where there exists debates in the yoga community it reverted back to "how do you feel". This is an incredible resource just for my home practice, and I can't wait to start incorporating some of the sequences.
Mary
I have Mark Stephens other book, which I owned even before I began teaching yoga, and cherish the information in that one. I love this book as a resource for my yoga teaching now,as I have evolved and gotten more confidence, and am ready to play with class sequence more. This book gets in depth on class flow and how to sequence for a variety of students and populations. It's precise, easy to read(plus you can jump around easily, if you need to reference something!), and full of information.
Carol
Jul 31, 2013 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
I ordered this book looking for ideas for creative yoga sequencing. I got ideas but not necessarily ideas I will use. It was good to read a different philosophy and approach to yoga and be able to compare to what I have learned. While there was some overlap and consistency, there were differences of opinion. I will use bits and pieces but the majority of my students could not approach yoga the way it is laid out in most of the 65 sequences he provides. That is not to say there are not many peopl ...more
Lisa
Exceptional tool

Great detail on sequencing classes for any level, plus information on specialty classes. Logical methodology explained and illustrations clearly detail class flow.
Rhegan Lundborg
Loved the whole book. As a beginner teacher it gave me an abundance of courage.
Cloay
Jul 16, 2014 Cloay marked it as to-read
- available in SG NLB 613.7046 (Queenstown)
Erika
I highly recommend the two Mark Stephens books I've read - He not only touches on the traditional approaches to yoga sequencing and how a teacher can adjust a practice to a wide variety of students, but he also addresses specific practices to the gunas, chakra specific practices, age specific practices and principles on how to create your own structured classes.
Christina
Fantastic textbook for the dedicated yoga practitioner. Nice break-down of poses and their uses with multiple sequences for beginner through advance. Includes yoga for kids, pregnant women in different trimesters, seniors, etc. I would file this book under Yogini Desk (mat) Reference.
Lisa Baggerman
I will likely be flipping through this book for years. My only suggestion is to add ideas for helping transition students from beginning to intermediate, and then to advanced. And also, deconstructing more difficult poses, especially head and handstands.
Amelia S.
As a newish teacher I refer to this book almost weekly. It's like my asana bible. A must have for a vinyasa or similar teacher.
Abby
Oct 12, 2014 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
A must have for every yogi bookshelf.
Nancie
This is the bible of sequencing for yoga teachers.
Julikerr
I will use over and over
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Carol Rigdon
Carol Rigdon is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Amy E.
Amy E. is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sue McLeod
Sue McLeod is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Moira Reade
Moira Reade marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Anastassia Ševtšenko
Anastassia Ševtšenko marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Tracy Kelly
Tracy Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga Nidra/2009 Re-print
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques Yoga Adjustments: Philosophy, Principles, and Techniques Three Mile Island Amy And The Unicorn Ernest Bevin: Unskilled Labourer And World Statesman 1881 1951