Start by marking “Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes” as Want to Read:
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes

Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes presents the essential principles and methods for planning and sequencing yoga classes. Addressing one of the most popular topics in the yoga profession, this book offers sixty-seven model sequences of yoga poses (asanas) that cover the broad range of yoga student experience, including multiple sequences for beginning, ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by North Atlantic Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga Sequencing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga Sequencing

Mary
I have Mark Stephens other book, which I owned even before I began teaching yoga, and cherish the information in that one. I love this book as a resource for my yoga teaching now,as I have evolved and gotten more confidence, and am ready to play with class sequence more. This book gets in depth on class flow and how to sequence for a variety of students and populations. It's precise, easy to read(plus you can jump around easily, if you need to reference something!), and full of information.
Dani Neaux
I love this book. I can't believe this book wasn't required reading for my YTT, it was THAT good.

Yoga teachers, you need this in your library. It gives you Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced sequences with themes like Back bends, forward bends, standing balance, inversions...

It also provides a clear format to follow for creating your own sequence, and well as basic and advanced cues for a sequence. A nice refresher if you learned it during your TT but misplaced your notes ;)

My favorite part
Carol
Jul 31, 2013 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
I ordered this book looking for ideas for creative yoga sequencing. I got ideas but not necessarily ideas I will use. It was good to read a different philosophy and approach to yoga and be able to compare to what I have learned. While there was some overlap and consistency, there were differences of opinion. I will use bits and pieces but the majority of my students could not approach yoga the way it is laid out in most of the 65 sequences he provides. That is not to say there are not many peopl ...more
Lisa
Exceptional tool

Great detail on sequencing classes for any level, plus information on specialty classes. Logical methodology explained and illustrations clearly detail class flow.
Rhegan Lundborg
Loved the whole book. As a beginner teacher it gave me an abundance of courage.
Cloay
Jul 16, 2014 Cloay marked it as to-read
- available in SG NLB 613.7046 (Queenstown)
Erika
I highly recommend the two Mark Stephens books I've read - He not only touches on the traditional approaches to yoga sequencing and how a teacher can adjust a practice to a wide variety of students, but he also addresses specific practices to the gunas, chakra specific practices, age specific practices and principles on how to create your own structured classes.
Christina
Fantastic textbook for the dedicated yoga practitioner. Nice break-down of poses and their uses with multiple sequences for beginner through advance. Includes yoga for kids, pregnant women in different trimesters, seniors, etc. I would file this book under Yogini Desk (mat) Reference.
Lisa Baggerman
I will likely be flipping through this book for years. My only suggestion is to add ideas for helping transition students from beginning to intermediate, and then to advanced. And also, deconstructing more difficult poses, especially head and handstands.
Amelia S.
As a newish teacher I refer to this book almost weekly. It's like my asana bible. A must have for a vinyasa or similar teacher.
Abby
Oct 12, 2014 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
A must have for every yogi bookshelf.
Nancie
This is the bible of sequencing for yoga teachers.
Julikerr
I will use over and over
Nicky Lynn
Nicky Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katrina_28
Katrina_28 marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
John Ireland
John Ireland marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jamie Bloss
Jamie Bloss is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Jeff Jaureguy
Jeff Jaureguy marked it as to-read
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Bookworm
Bookworm marked it as to-read
Tóth Ibolya
Tóth Ibolya marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Troubly
Troubly marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Jasmin
Jasmin added it
Jan 09, 2015
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga Nidra/2009 Re-print
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques Yoga Adjustments: Philosophy, Principles, and Techniques Three Mile Island Amy And The Unicorn Ernest Bevin: Unskilled Labourer And World Statesman 1881 1951