Start by marking “Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)

Night of Fire (St. Ives Family #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Lady Cassandra St. Ives had sworn off marriage ever since becoming a happy widow, but lately her affections have been engaged by a mysterious, long distance correspondent. Cassandra has shared her soul with her far-off admirer, and whe he invites her to visit his home she accepts the invitation gladly. Expecting a kindly of gentleman, Cassandra is stunned to find that Coun ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published December 1st 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Night of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of Fire

Zumbagirl
Once in a while a book comes along that really takes my breath away - it's hard to describe how or why it happens, but it leaves me feeling awestruck - Night of Fire is exactly that book. An author can have a great story line, strong characters and dialogue - excellent ingredients. But when an author appeals to all of your senses and your heart in such a way that you are completely enveloped in the scenery and situation the characters are in - it's like you become part of the book. Beautifully w ...more
Cecilia
Feb 04, 2012 Cecilia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of threw me right at the outset, and on reflection, I think I shouldn’t have read it. It starts with a dramatic emotional scene that is very short, then goes back 18 months. This next scene, with the heroine Cassandra, sets her gloomy mood and tells the reader that she has been corresponding with the hero, Basilio for two years. We find out about how wonderful these exchanges have been, but don’t get to see any great letters. We find out how brilliant she is at interpreting the ba ...more
Mary B.
I completely devoured this book. It's hard to even describe how it made me feel. Such a beautiful and intense romance. Two things I love about Ms. Samuel's writing style is her ability to really make her readers feel the emotions that her characters are feeling, and she always gives her characters genuine, honest, REAL reasons to be in love. This is a rare and beautiful romance novel, and almost as excellent as "A Bed of Spices," which I adored.
Sian
Jan 01, 2012 Sian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Eugh! No idea why I stuck it out for the whole book...I skipped pages then chapters...it was pretty dire.

All characters apart from one were apparently "not" religious...but then all they talked about was their sin, his sin, what they were doing was a sin...blah blah blah then God was mentioned on practically every page. I feel like God was rammed down my throat in this.

But I kept reading on because surely it would get better.....nope! I should have given up.

I didnt like any of the characters, I
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2011
Absolutely loved this book. Basilio is the true brooding hero who values honor, and loves deeply. Cassandra is strong, intelligent and his equal. The true hero is Analise, but a wonderful story. Too sad the author has stopped writing and this is her last romance book.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Apr 19, 2011 Lea's Audiobooks Hensley rated it it was amazing
Review to come at Speaking of Audiobooks
Katie(babs)
May 15, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
Night of Fire is a classic love story by Barbara Samuel and one of her last before she decided to leave the historical romance genre all together. A story like this is refreshing and heart wrenching as our two lovers start out as friends and then realize their love is all consuming. In the hands of a less than experienced author, the characters would have been dull and stereotypical, but here they shine.

Cassandra is an English widow who was abused by her husband. But regardless of this, she has
Jenn
Nov 07, 2015 Jenn rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Blech. I read the first in this series as a free offering for the Kindle and I really enjoyed it. So much so, that I added the next to my "to read" list. I found it recently at the used book store, so I picked it up.

No. It's the EXACT type of romance that turned me off of the genre for so long. It's overly flowery without an ounce of humor and tons of angst. For a long time, I thought that most romances were like that, so I didn't read them. These days, it's the rare one that comes to me that's
Heroes & Heartbreakers
Basilio, Count Montevarchi, scholar and poet, is the most Romantic hero I’ve ever read. I’m talking Romantic with a capital “R:” extravagant emotion, an emphasis on honor and truth, idealism, seeing beauty in the ordinary, loving with one’s whole heart and being. These kinds of Romances are rare and I know some people can’t get into the over-the-topness of it, but Barbara Samuel served up a doozy of one for her last historical romance, Night of Fire, written in 2000.

Basilio has kept up a two yea
Natalya
Apr 19, 2016 Natalya added it
Shelves: abandoned
Interesting premise, sexy Italian, intelligent lady, building tension... I read till the scene on the beach and then lost interest, especially as the count became a bit of a cad, plan to go back at some point
Linda
Jun 26, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Loved it! Cried buckets (sign of a good bk). Looking out for more of her bks
The first half of this book gets 5 stars. The romance was one of the best i've ever read...very passionate and believable. I loved the two main characters. But halfway through the two are torn apart and then the melodrama takes over...and the story gets really repetitious. I felt that the story should have ended much sooner with a more satisfying conclusion. Yes, there's an HEA but after all the build up I felt let down.
Jane Davis
Jul 25, 2012 Jane Davis rated it it was ok
I had great expectations for this book but about 1/4 of the way into it I was frustrated. Nothing was happening. The lovers went for walks, ate fruit, flirted, had trysts that were, up to that part, chaste but pomised to soon become steamy.

Drawn By Count Basillio's writing and poetry, Casandra St. Ives, a very contented widow, had come to Italy expecting a soul mate of a more advanced age. Count Basillio was expecting the same. He has been pledged since youth to a woman who wants to enter the c
Kelly
Aug 19, 2011 Kelly rated it did not like it
Unh.
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Laura Bogdanski
Laura Bogdanski rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2016
Andrea Chionsini
Andrea Chionsini rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Maria Clara
Maria Clara marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Bonnie Eads
Bonnie Eads rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Jeanna Galasso
Jeanna Galasso rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Susan M
Susan M marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Shirley  Copenhaver
Shirley Copenhaver rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Edith K Payne
Edith K Payne rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
loweboyz
loweboyz rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Linzi Moon
Linzi Moon rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Melissa Oberg
Melissa Oberg marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #6)
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
  • Tapestry
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • The Cornish Heiress
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • The Spinster & The Beast
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Heart of the West
  • Simply Scandalous
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • Wicked Surrender (Wicked, #1)
  • Opera Macabre
  • Winter Rose
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel...

St. Ives Family (2 books)
  • The Black Angel (St. Ives Family, #1)