Start by marking “Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)

Night of Fire (St. Ives Family #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Lady Cassandra St. Ives had sworn off marriage ever since becoming a happy widow, but lately her affections have been engaged by a mysterious, long distance correspondent. Cassandra has shared her soul with her far-off admirer, and whe he invites her to visit his home she accepts the invitation gladly. Expecting a kindly of gentleman, Cassandra is stunned to find that Coun ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published December 1st 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Night of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of Fire

Zumbagirl
Once in a while a book comes along that really takes my breath away - it's hard to describe how or why it happens, but it leaves me feeling awestruck - Night of Fire is exactly that book. An author can have a great story line, strong characters and dialogue - excellent ingredients. But when an author appeals to all of your senses and your heart in such a way that you are completely enveloped in the scenery and situation the characters are in - it's like you become part of the book. Beautifully w ...more
Mary B.
I completely devoured this book. It's hard to even describe how it made me feel. Such a beautiful and intense romance. Two things I love about Ms. Samuel's writing style is her ability to really make her readers feel the emotions that her characters are feeling, and she always gives her characters genuine, honest, REAL reasons to be in love. This is a rare and beautiful romance novel, and almost as excellent as "A Bed of Spices," which I adored.
Cecilia
This book kind of threw me right at the outset, and on reflection, I think I shouldn’t have read it. It starts with a dramatic emotional scene that is very short, then goes back 18 months. This next scene, with the heroine Cassandra, sets her gloomy mood and tells the reader that she has been corresponding with the hero, Basilio for two years. We find out about how wonderful these exchanges have been, but don’t get to see any great letters. We find out how brilliant she is at interpreting the ba ...more
Sian
Eugh! No idea why I stuck it out for the whole book...I skipped pages then chapters...it was pretty dire.

All characters apart from one were apparently "not" religious...but then all they talked about was their sin, his sin, what they were doing was a sin...blah blah blah then God was mentioned on practically every page. I feel like God was rammed down my throat in this.

But I kept reading on because surely it would get better.....nope! I should have given up.

I didnt like any of the characters, I
Barbara
Absolutely loved this book. Basilio is the true brooding hero who values honor, and loves deeply. Cassandra is strong, intelligent and his equal. The true hero is Analise, but a wonderful story. Too sad the author has stopped writing and this is her last romance book.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Review to come at Speaking of Audiobooks
Linda
Loved it! Cried buckets (sign of a good bk). Looking out for more of her bks
Katie(babs)
Night of Fire is a classic love story by Barbara Samuel and one of her last before she decided to leave the historical romance genre all together. A story like this is refreshing and heart wrenching as our two lovers start out as friends and then realize their love is all consuming. In the hands of a less than experienced author, the characters would have been dull and stereotypical, but here they shine.

Cassandra is an English widow who was abused by her husband. But regardless of this, she has
Jane Davis
I had great expectations for this book but about 1/4 of the way into it I was frustrated. Nothing was happening. The lovers went for walks, ate fruit, flirted, had trysts that were, up to that part, chaste but pomised to soon become steamy.

Drawn By Count Basillio's writing and poetry, Casandra St. Ives, a very contented widow, had come to Italy expecting a soul mate of a more advanced age. Count Basillio was expecting the same. He has been pledged since youth to a woman who wants to enter the c
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Marlenna Jae
Marlenna Jae is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Sheryl Stump
Sheryl Stump marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Rox
Rox marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
namericanwordcat
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family #2)
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Lords of Love: A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Tapestry
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • When a Duke Says I Do
  • Wicked Angel
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • Night in Eden
  • The Cornish Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel...

St. Ives Family (2 books)
  • The Black Angel (St. Ives Family, #1)
No Place Like Home The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue Heart of a Knight A Piece of Heaven A Bed of Spices