Start by marking “A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook” as Want to Read:
A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook

A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,107 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Ever wonder what it’s like to attend a feast at Winterfell? Wish you could split a lemon cake with Sansa Stark, scarf down a pork pie with the Night’s Watch, or indulge in honeyfingers with Daenerys Targaryen? George R. R. Martin’s bestselling saga A Song of Ice and Fire and the runaway hit HBO series Game of Thrones are renowned for bringing Westeros’s sights and sounds t ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Feast of Ice and Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Feast of Ice and Fire

Nermin
Jul 19, 2013 Nermin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nerds
Kurt
This delightful cookbook is a surprisingly sophisticated celebration of the dishes mentioned in George R.R. Martin's popular fantasy series. The book opens with an introduction by Martin himself, defending his habit of writing out the details of every morsel any of his characters nibbles on through the course of 1,000-page novels (in my opinion, it's a distracting annoyance, but I appreciate his intention to create sense memories for a more immersive reading experience, and for his belief that f ...more
Carrie
I should have reviewed this some time ago. I heard about this book on NPR long before reading the Ice and Fire series. The meals served in the books are amazing and help to pull you into the story. *A Feast of Ice and Fire* brings those meals into our world.

I have made a few of the recipes and they were a huge hit. My daughter especially loved the honeyed chicken. The sauce is rightly to be kept on hand for many other dishes.

What I truly appreciated was the dual quality of the book as historica
C
Because it makes absolute, total sense to read a diet book and this at the same time..

I love that these women researched and put together such a great collection of recipes. They don't look far fetched or over the top (see: Hunger Games Cookbook!) and it's a nice touch that they include both modern and medieval versions of each recipe.

Alas, I had to realize, I will never cook from it. I cannot justify some of the high fat, super caloric goodies in the book...that said, the seafood stew looked *
Nate
Incredibly nerdy, and insanely cool.
Shala Kerrigan
If you love to cook, and you're a fan of the George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, than you probably already know about the blog Inn at the Crossroads. If you've only watched the HBO series, Game of Thrones, then you've missed the wonderful descriptions of food in the series. A big part of Martin's world building is trying to make you experience things on a visceral level, which includes rich, detailed descriptions of meals that you can almost smell and taste.

The authors decided to t
Eunice Biblioceraptor
Jun 11, 2013 Eunice Biblioceraptor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to medieval feast, people who like butter
I umm...read this cover-to-cover and it's a bloody cookbook.
I love how some of the recipes come in a 'modern' version and also a 'medieval' version.

Most of the recipes are not ridiculously-complicated or difficult, and only have one or two specific/exotic ingredients per recipe, but if you're dedicated, it's a non-issue.
And there are plenty of things in here which are meals/food you'd eat normally anyway, except the recipe in here is better because the ingredients are more natural/un-processed h
Alex Ristea
Awesome.

Food, that is.

We all know how much George R.R. Martin loves his food, and you can't help but notice his enthusiasm in his books. A pair of bloggers started taking all the mentions of food in A Song of Ice and Fire and making recipes for them.

This book was put together better than I had expected. There are quotes and citations from where in the books the recipes are taken from, there are additional notes about creating an atmosphere and general medieval cooking, and the sections are divid
Karl
Looks really good. It just arrived at the LASFS library, and I'm the first to borrow it. It starts out with tips on putting together a medieval kitchen.

(Continued, after reading through it)

One neat feature in the cookbook is that many of the recipes are presented in two styles -- medieval and modern. For example, "Beef and Bacon Pie".
The medieval version is a two-crust pie filled with diced bacon, flavored with salt and pepper, red wine vinegar, raisins, prunes, dates, and beef broth.
The modern
Wendy
I love books and food. I love when books talk about food I love. This book talks about food in books I love and I loved this book.

Excellent job making the recipes easy, delicious and attainable.

An excellent companion book to the series. Despite just coming back from lunch, these are mouthwatering!

Akin to Lobscouse & Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels for the Patrick O'Brian books.
Hayley DeRoche
I give this book 5 stars based on the balls and gumption it takes to publish a cookbook with recipes that call for "1 rattlesnake, approximately 2 pounds, cleaned and gutted" and "5 pigeons, cleaned and dressed."

The photos of the medieval vs the modern recipes add a nice touch. The breakfasts, while similar, offer different incarnations for the various parts of Westeros, and while I don't *need* two pages telling me how to serve toast and eggs with jam, if GRRM can do the same, why not these lo
Aves
Jul 04, 2012 Aves marked it as reference
Shelves: cooking
I haven't tried any of the recipes, but many of them look intriguing. Except for the snake and the locust ones. But for the adventurous souls out there, the recipes with non-conventional ingredients are something new and interesting to try. And for the less adventurous types, there are still many recipes that look wonderful.

This isn't a book where you need to be acquainted with George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones series to be able to use or understand the recipes. Indeed, the only potential s
Ashlee Willis
An exquisite book. Makes me wish I was a cook ... and even though I am most definitely NOT ... I can tell you I'll definitely be trying a few of these recipes. The pictures are mouthwatering. I loved that each recipe had a "medieval" version and a "modern" version - such an ingenious touch! The book is split into sections based on regions: the Wall, the North, the South, King's Landing, Dorne, and Across the Narrow Sea.

The recipes include delicious-sounding things such as Iced Blueberries in Sw
Krystle
It's a shame that I'm the type of person who could cause a minor explosion were she to even attempt to use a microwave. Because all of these dishes look absolutely mouth-watering.
Even when there's a modern alternative offered, the medieval/traditional recipe just looks so much more delectable.

In that magical alternate universe where I have the time and skill to cook, these would all be my dream dishes.

(And how could I not love a cookbook whose recipes call for pigeons, rattlesnakes, and locusts?
David
Brilliant! This book contains a lot of the traditional English favorites my Mom used to make, plus a sampling of new dishes I can't wait to try. Very helpful that for many of the dishes, there is both a medieval recipe and a modern recipe.

Bonus: since GRRM didn't write it (he can't cook), this book does not hold up publication of The Winds of Winter.
Masooch
I enjoyed how this book is broken up into the different lands the characters are based on, with a modern twist to these recipes. Only made a few, but quite delicious!
Aspasia
I did a Game of Thrones program last night at my library and I had checked out this book to get ideas on what kind of food to serve. This cookbook features more meal-type food and I was looking for finger foods to serve. I eventually found some cute Game of Thrones-themed snacks on Pinterest, but this fan cookbook was still interesting to read. This cookbook was the creation and brainchild of two women who have been fans of the Game of Thrones series since it debuted in 1996. They created a blog ...more
Jesse
I enjoy a good cookbook. And when I look at the recipes and go 'well I don't have snakes or locusts' it really challenges me to think outside of my normal recipe book. Good thing I can look at those & usually come up with a suitable replacement.
This is definitely a great have if you are a fan of the books/show. I love reading the descriptions given or displayed in the works so this is a nerdism for those who would like to be fantasy cooks. Even if you are not a fan this gives a great variety
I'm not the kind of person to read a cookbook cover to cover (is anyone?), so my reading experience when it comes to this kind of literature is always a bit more clinical--I pay attention to design as much as I do to content.

This book follows the format of the blog fairly closely. Entries begin with an excerpt from a ASOIAF book to give context to the following recipe. Recipes are broken down by ingredient, then instruction, and capped with a picture of the final product. If the recipe is inspir
Trish
I love books. And I love food. So books about food are the perfect combination. :-)
I found this little treasure by chance when looking for different editions of the A Song Of Ice And Fire books. Thanks to amazon, I was able to read (among others things) the intro by George R.R. Martin himself and was hooked.
The two fans, who have started looking up and cooking the dishes, have done a marvellous job here and one can tell from page one how committed they are and how much they love the story, the
Julie
First of all, I want to comment on the layout and content. The book is well laid-out with the dishes grouped by region. There's a good variety of entrees, breakfasts, drinks, vegetable dishes, and desserts from each region. The pictures are beautiful and really make everything look beautiful. The recipes are generally pretty easy, but there are more challenging ones. The authors seem very aware of what is reasonable and what is not while still catering to the enthusiasts that would like to cook ...more
Alejandra Reyes
Me gusto mucho! El libro tiene un buen trabajo de investigación relacionado a recetas medievales que se asemejen a las descritas en el libro a la vez que presenta también una opción moderna de las mismas. Las recetas están distribuidas geográficamente así que se puede preparar una cena semejante a las de Witerfell, King’s Landing o tu lugar favorito.

Es un libro ideal para las personas que les gusta mucho cocinar y la saga "A Song of Ice and Fire", por mi parte disfrute mucho leyendo las citas d
Primadonna
I have never read any George R. R. Martin's books. The sheer number overwhelms me. Oh sure, I've watched one or two episodes of Games of Thrones, but it always leaves me disappointed. (so many characters, and when I become interested, he or she will die. Meh.)

But this recipe book piqued my interest. Two versions, medieval and modern recipes. Some excerpts from Martin's books. (oh my, I conclude he must have loved foods! I should read his books soon!)

I definitely will give it a try.
Laylah
A friend just passed this on to me -- neither of us is the ideal reader, as I don't follow ASOIAF and she doesn't cook. ("It doesn't do me much good, since I don't cook things," she said. "Do you want it?" "I will totally cook you something from it," I said. And we had a deal.) But I love fannish cooking projects in general, and this is a fantastic one, ambitious and enthusiastic and beautifully presented. There are so many recipes here that I want to try out -- sometimes in the original medieva ...more
Jewel
Jan 02, 2015 Jewel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: misc
includes a variety of recipes categorized by region in the GOT series. also includes spin offs of newer drink fads like the matcha martinis that seem to be popping up everywhere. and yes, there is a recipe for roasted boar.

a neat treat for GOT fans in more than one way.
Sue Bursztynski
This book is wonderful, not only for its connection but because the authors have taken a lot of trouble researching mediaeval foods which they could connect to those mentioned in the Ice And Fire books. I love cooking and will try these recipes, but also use it as a reference for my own writing. There's a web site, The Inn At The Crossroads, and one of these ladies also has a web site called Food Through The Pages, which talks about food in fiction, including a sixteenth century recipe for "butt ...more
Kimberly
This book is such a cool idea! Nice foreword by the man himself . I can't wait to try a recipe or two.
Melissa
GAME OF THRONES COOKBOOK!!!!!!

I really liked the research behind the recipes as well as offering a more "traditional" medieval recipe and a modern version of most dishes. This is apparently based off a blog, The Inn at the Crossroads, which I have since started following. Has great pictures, too. (there's another Game of Thrones cookbook by some other people but it isn't near as nice)

Includes some oddball recipes for the more adventurous gourmand, like snake (blech)

I just finished baking the mod
Jeanne Johnston
As cookbooks go, they obviously put a lot into research and context. I'm afraid that as someone who eats almost entirely vegan these days, I just didn't find a whole lot to draw from in my own kitchen. No, I didn't really expect to, having perused medieval cookbooks before. Veg was hardly a big player then, short of staples like neeps and tatties, were they?

Ironically, the recipe I've tried and loved apparently didn't even come from this book, but the more extensive--and much easier to search--
Ire (Sirya)
L'introduzione che Martin ci fa di questo libro è coinvolgente e divertente, un piccolo pezzetto della sua vita e delle sue passioni: cibo, lettura e scrittura. Come ci dice il "prologo" scritto dai collaboratori -chi di coloro che hanno letto le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco non hanno desiderato anche solo una volta di assaggiare uno dei piatti descritti?- così ce ne hanno dato la possibilità con questo libro. Dalla Barriera con le pietanze dei Guardiani della notte fino ad Approdo del re, ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Updated Cover image? 4 38 Mar 19, 2012 05:05AM
  • The Unofficial Game of Thrones Cookbook: From Direwolf Ale to Auroch Stew - More Than 150 Recipes from Westeros and Beyond
  • The Lands of Ice and Fire: Maps from King's Landing to Across the Narrow Sea
  • True Blood: Eats, Drinks, and Bites from Bon Temps
  • The Unofficial Recipes of the Hunger Games: 187 Recipes Inspired by the Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More Than 150 Recipes Inspired by the Hunger Games Trilogy
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • Sinfully Vegan: Over 140 Decadent Desserts to Satisfy Every Vegan's Sweet Tooth
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Dr. Seuss
  • Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • How to Bake
Chelsea grew up in rural New York, surrounded by cows and an appreciation for small farms. However, her real love affair with food began during a year abroad in Turkey, which sparked a passion for both food and history, as well as leading her to a degree in Classical History. A lifelong artist and fantasy fan, she greatly enjoys foreign languages, treasure hunting, and all things honey. She curren ...more
More about Chelsea Monroe-Cassel...
From the Sands of Dorne: A Feast of Ice & Fire Companion Cookbook

“She filched one anyway, and ate it on her way out. It was stuffed with chopped nuts and fruit and cheese, the crust flaky and still warm from the oven. Eating Ser Amory’s tart made Arya feel daring. Barefoot sure-foot lightfoot, she sang under her breath. I am the ghost in Harrenhal. —A CLASH OF KINGS Medieval Arya Tart Take Wyn, & putte in a potte, an clarifyd hony, an Saunderys, pepir, Safroun, Clowes, Maces, & Quybibys, & mynced Datys, Pynys and Roysonys of Corauns, & a lytil Vynegre, & sethe it on þe fyre; an sethe fygys in Wyne, & grynde hem, & draw hem þorw a straynoure, & caste þer-to, an lete hem boyle alle to-gederys … þan kytte hem y lyke lechyngys, an caste hem in fayre Oyle, and fry hem a lytil whyle; þanne take hem owt of þe panne, an caste in-to a vesselle with þe Syrippe, & so serue hem forth, þe bryndonys an þe Sirippe, in a dysshe; & let þe Sirippe þe rennyng, & not to styf. —TWO FIFTEENTH-CENTURY COOKERY-BOOKS” 1 likes
“Eat hearty, my friends. Winter is coming. George R. R. Martin ” 0 likes