Start by marking “Evan Blessed (Constable Evans Mysteries #9)” as Want to Read:
Evan Blessed (Constable Evans Mysteries #9)

Evan Blessed (Constable Evans #9)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  631 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Evans' search for a hiker gone missing in the Welsh hills places his fiancé in the path of a killer in this tantalizing installment in this award-winning author's cozy series
Published August 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Evan Blessed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan Blessed

Bonnie
Diolch yn fawr(Welsh for Thank you very much) Rhys Bowen for writing this wonderful series. It is two weeks before the wedding of Evan and Bronwen and Evan has just finished unloading the last boxes into the new home he and his bride have chosen. He runs into a teenager whose girlfriend has gone missing on Mt. Snowdon and despite his apprehensions about getting involved in a new case, Evan cannot resist helping the worried hiker. A search yields no trace of the girl but does turn up a well-stock...more
Leah
I have really enjoyed this series! It's light enough that I'm not left feeling evil and gross afterwards, and there is just the right amount of suspense, humor, and romance (maybe I would like a bit more of this) :) But it's not offensive in any way--there is a smidgen of adult humor and some innuendo, but overall I LOVE these books and all of Rhys Bowen's books for that matter! She is a great author and I'm glad I stumbled upon her.
Leslie
The Evan Evans series has been a favorite of mine from the beginning, and knowing that this is the penultimate book in that series made me delay reading it and the last book for some time. But I read it, loved it, and never saw the solution coming. And who wouldn't want to live in this Welsh town? Aaah, bliss!
Hal
I am new to the world of mysteries. I only started to explore this genre in the fall of 2013. In the past, I read only literary fiction and biographies.

At this point, I have read most of Rhys Bowen's Constable Evans series, and this volume was my favorite. It is tightly written and devilishly plotted. It is certainly more intense than other books in this series. It is probably as close to a thriller as I have ever read.

What I like most about serial novels is that we get to know the characters....more
Mark Baker
It's two weeks before Evan's wedding, and he's focusing on the family dynamics this is unleashing. Then a young woman goes missing, and Evan gets involved in the hunt. Can he find her and keep peace in his family? It's always nice to visit these characters. The plot did bog down a bit in the middle, but the characters noticed and commented on the lack of progress as well. And about that point, things picked up again and raced to the finish.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Sally
I like this series by Rhys Bowen, and it has been some time since I "visited" Evan Evans and the Welsh countryside, so I especially enjoyed this one with Evan's and Bronwyn's approaching wedding. I thought the mystery was a good one, with the criminal culprit being disguised enough to keep you guessing on the who-done-it.

In this particular audiobook, the reader uses what I suppose to be a Welsh accent. I don't know how accurate the accent might be, having never been to Wales, but at times the cl...more
Kathy Davie
Ninth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in a small village in Wales.

My Take
Well, I'm prejudiced! I love cottages and Welsh dressers so naturally, I love this installment in the series! It's also some pretty clever detective work on Evans' part that enables them to solve both missing cases and a couple of cold cases.

I can understand being angry about losing the opportunity to pursue a career desired from childhood. I cannot understand killing someone over it. I might fantasize about it...more
LJ
EVAN BLESSED (Police Procedural-Wales-Cont) – VG
Bowen, Rhys – 9th in series
St. Martin's Minatour, 2005- Hardcover)
Constable Evan Evans is approached by a young many whose girlfriend has disappeared while they were hiking on Mt. Snowdon. In searching for her, the police find an underground bunker with handcuffs affixed to the wall. Clues are sent directly to Evan, but when Bronwen disappears, it becomes personal.
*** Evan is a well-drawn character who has a good relationship with his superior. He...more
Jill Nix
I loved the entire series. The author has stated this series is very hard to write , and I believe this is the last book. The characters are funny and realistic. This part of England (Wales) is not written about often.
Alice
A patron at the library told me about Rhys Nowen's Molly Murphy mysteries, but unfortunately when I went to the stacks we were sadly missing most of them, and some how I ended up picking up one from her series with Constable Evan Evans. I am not one to start with #9, but we are missing so many once I realized it was #9, I was far enough into it that I decided to just keep reading it. I am now a big Bowen fan. This is my kind of mystery--not too complicated, but I loved the Welsh setting and char...more
D. Eric
The 9th book in the series continues to take the Evans saga toward a harder edge, but in the end shies away from getting too gruesome (or even gruesome at all). Still, the relative innocence of the series will appeal to some who enjoy the mystery but are really captivated by the lives of Evans and the people of Llanfair.

In this installment Evans must solve solve not only the mystery of a missing hiker, but also the abduction of his wife to be. One way or another the book finally resolves Evan's...more
Ellen
I enjoy her royal spyness stories, but didn't much care for this Constable Evans. Don't think I'll actively look for any more of these.
Lauren
I think this book is great if you like the modern day scenarios of crime scene. Forensic stuff and psycho/twisted predators are too much for my imagination, so I had to put the book down. I guess I can only handle mysteries about thievery. I got as far as the handcuffs shackled to a wall in a mysterious forest bunker, and then the predator seething from anger that his abduction plan had been foiled and I had to put it down. The pacing of the book seemed exciting as far as I got into the book. I...more
Georgia Lengyel
Outstanding. Again, really sorry this series is almost over.
Paula
Not bad, but I knew who the murderer was about halfway through the book
Jehnie
Sometimes a dead end should just be a dead end.
George
Jul 21, 2007 George rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
A North Wales Detective Constable Evan Evans mystery. On the eve of his wedding, Evans becomes involved with a missing girl case which escalates when an underground bunker is discovered which looks like a place for holding a person. Further complications develop as Evans' fiancee is kidnapped.

The novel follows the pattern of earlier novels in this series but losses much of the humor of earlier novels with the reduction in appearances of the Llanfair villagers who frequented the novels when Evans...more
Kae Cheatham
Welsh constable Evan Evans is preparing for his wedding when a girl goes missing on the mountain. While investigating her disappearance, the police discover an unused bunker that seems to be set up for holding a captive. Is it related to their case? All angles must be pursued, and then Evan gets odd musically-coded messages that suggest Evan is more involved than just an officer on the case.

Good tension and believable characters. Good sense of place. An intricate story that took the discoveries...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
A horrible discovery is made when DC Evans goes to search for a missing hiker. The discovery will change the gentle sense that we have grown to love in the village of Llanfair.

Can it get worse and will it?

I was slightly disturbed by the direction this book took us. Although, in today's world there is no 'Camelot,' I had grown comfortable with the security found within the pages of this series.

This book is indeed, edgier and DC Evans finds himself and his beloved in peril. Read it and tell me w...more
Ginia
Heather
This was a great cozy mystery. Funny and intriguing at the same time. The writing reminded me a little of Maeve Binchy's style. I enjoyed this book from start to finish and look forward to reading more in the series. Even though it seems that I started with #9 in the series, I never once felt like I was missing anything. The characters were fully defined, and nothing was assumed by the author. I was impressed!
Kathy Moberg
This book was "buried" in my piles of books to read. I enjoyed it very much and it made me realize how much I've missed the Constable Evans mysteries. It's been a long time since new one came out... I hope we'll get to see how things are going for Evan, Bronwen and all the quirky characters again one of these days!
Tracy
A good, clean mystery. It took place in Wales--which I liked. One complaint is I wish they had spent more time on the one case at the end. I don't want to say much and give it away--but I wish there was more "wrap up" for that one.
Patricia
In my recent flurry of reading, I somehow read this and did not add it to the goodreads' list. I did read it. Maybe I added it here under a different edition? Anyway, I think Rhys Bowen's writings improve with each Evan Evans mystery in the series. I'm looking forward to book 10.
MommaLaura
It had me on the edge of my seat.
Olivia Hill
I enjoyed this detective novel. Perhaps it's the Irish in me that loves the down to earth, unassuming naturing of DC Evans. Story was well told and even though the killer was revealed before the end, the plot was still gripping. I recommend it to detective enthusiasts.
Helen
An enjoyable mystery with a terrific setting in the Mt. Snowdon district of Wales. The setting is as much a character as the people, and all of them bring this place to life. These are clever little mysteries full of local color.
One of my favorites of the series. Extremely suspenseful, much more so than the others. I didn't want to put it down! The mystery was somewhat complex, especially with the "surprises" at the end.
DeAnn
Had a hard time starting this book because my imagination imagined the worst. But once I got into it and realized that the author wasn't going to get sick and twisted I enjoyed it.
Susan
I've read two books in this series. Both have been nicely paced with interesting characters. This one had a couple of plot lines that all came together nicely at the end.
  • Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth, #26)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby, #14)
  • Historical Whodunits
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set...more
More about Rhys Bowen...
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)