Start by marking “Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans Mysteries #5)” as Want to Read:
Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans Mysteries #5)

Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans #5)

Constable Evan Evans, sole police officer in the charming Welsh village of Llanfair, is assigned to assist an expedition to raise a World War II German bomber plane from a lake. The whole venture is being filmed for a documentary on World War II and Evans tries to assist the film crew by finding them local people with stories to tell. Little does he realize that resurrecti ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 259 pages
Published February 6th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published February 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Evan Can Wait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan Can Wait

Feb 13, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Oh Welsh, what a difficult language you are! The Constable Evans series has made me a very confused American.

This review is going to be partially a review of this book, and partially of the whole series so far. I haven’t read book 4 yet due to it being unavailable at the library, so my generalizations of the series only apply to books 1-3 and 5.

The parts in italics that are woven through the novel, which turn out to be Trefor Thomas’s recital of his experience during WWII, were a bit disconcerti
Jessica
Oct 31, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY slow start to the book, but ended up better than the rest that I have read so far.
Kathy Davie
Fifth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in Wales revolving around the undecided Constable Evan Evans.

The Story
A small film crew has descended upon Llanfair to produce a documentary about raising an old World War II German fighter plane from the depths of Llyn Llydaw. Exciting for the village---especially for Betsy, as she is just dying to get into the movies; not so exciting for Evans as one of the crew is Bronwen's ex-husband, Edward Ferrers.

When one of the crew is found murdered, it's
Bonnie
Jul 20, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading Rhys Bowen's Constable Evans series that takes place in Llanfair, Wales. Evans, the sole police officer, has been assigned to assist an expedition to raise a World War II German bomber plane from a nearby lake. The entire venture is being filmed for a documentary on the war and Evans tries to assist the film crew by finding local people with stories to tell. Resurrecting the past means opening old wounds and after some unhappy confrontations, it is not only the local villagers who a ...more
Rebecca
Feb 10, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Constable Evan Evans enjoys his work in the Welsh village of Llanfair, on the slopes of Mt. Snowdon. Then a documentary film crew shows up to film the retrieval of a WWII plane from a local lake, and Evans is assigned to keep the local populace away from them. Things get more complicated when it transpires that one of the crew is Evans' girlfriend's ex-husband, and she knows all of them from Cambridge. As Evans struggles to figure out just how much Bronwen still cares for her ex, and to keep loc ...more
Ed
#5 in the Evan Evans series. Constable Evan Evans of Llanfair, North Wales is assigned to assist a film crew documenting the raising of a WWII German bomber from a local lake. The producer's murder complicates things and ties into a sub-plot concerning National Gallery art treasures secreted in a slate mine during the war. There are plenty of suspects but the prime one seems to be another of the filmmakers, Evan's girlfriend Bronwen's first husband.

Evan Evans series - When a documentary film cre
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I mentioned this author and her Constable Evans books as read-alikes for M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books, but I had never actually read any of Bowen's Constable Evans books. I decided to fix this, and it was a good decision. I can now say from personal experience that the Constable Evans books are definitely good read-alike suggestions for those who liked the Hamish Macbeth books. In this particular book, Evan Evans has the annoying task of watching out for a bunch of people filming a documen ...more
LJ
Evan Can Wait - G
Rhys Bowen
When a documentary film crew arrives in the Welsh village of Llanfair to try to raise a WWII German bomber sunk in a lake, Constable Evan Evans finds he has more to do than simply keep the curious at bay in this light police procedural. The film's arrogant and conceited director, Grantley Smith, manages to offend just about everyone, including Evan. To complicate matters, Grantley's partner on the project, Edward Ferrers, turns out to be the ex-husband of Evan's sweeth
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Nelie
Jan 10, 2011 Nelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coincidentally, Right when I started reading this there was a "Masterpiece Contemporary" show on PBS that brought up the WWII historical event of the National Gallery storing all their paintings in a Welsh slate mine during the time London was being bombed. This mystery also deals with that, in part (saying more might give too much away). I love this entire series because I am an American absolutely in love with North Wales and Welsh but I thought this book especially gave the characters a littl ...more
Linda
May 26, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Evan Evans is a police constable in a small town in northern Wales; this is the first book I’ve read in a series of mysteries which feature him. An American film crew has arrived in Wales to recover a World War II airplane which has been submerged in a mountain lake, and to film the recovery. Evans is assigned to help expedite their work and to keep the townspeople away from the scene while the filming is going on. One of the film crew is murdered and as Evans works to investigate the crime, an ...more
Ceejay
Feb 18, 2016 Ceejay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhys Bowen has written another excellent Consable Evan Evans mystery! This time a movie crew shows up in Llanfair to film a documentary about a lost WW II German aircraft. There is humor as Betsy the barmaid attempts to get into the film, despite the fact that it's a documentary. We learn a lot more about Evan's girlfriend! We learn a bit about Wales during the Second World War. Ms. Bowen cleverly presents a story within a story, as one of the characters presents his tale. Oh, and of course ther ...more
Sally
May 18, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the "cozy mystery" genre with Constable Evan Evans of Wales, and I continue to enjoy these books. The mystery to be solved is pretty good in this one, involving a murdered man in the depths of a slate mine, the raising of a WWII German plane from a local loch, and a bit of history concerning the safe-guarding of national art treasures during the war.

Evans' relationship with Bronwen, the local school teacher, continues to develop, so I would recommend reading this series in chr
D. Eric
Oct 01, 2009 D. Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
An interesting story about the making of a documentary to raise a sunken WWII German airplane that goes awry when murder strikes. It's up to good ol' Constable Evans to save the day. I found that the fifth book in the series does a better job than the previous books in keeping the reader in the dark--in other words, it was not a simple solve like in the others, especially the first three. Also, Evans finally begins to make some decisions and changes in his life, and this further rids the series ...more
Rose Spielman
Feb 27, 2014 Rose Spielman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been enjoying this series, as I have Rhys Bowen's other series. Quick, easy reads, humorous and fun main characters. The only thing that is bothering me with this series are the titles. They make no sense whatsoever. Obviously getting "Evan" in it is more important than making any relation to the story? Reminds me of Sookie Stackhouse titles, but even those made more sense... So, a small gripe, but one that is driving me nutty!
Patricia
May 17, 2012 Patricia rated it it was ok
I did not like this story (and did not like the dual stories) as well in this book in the series. While I liked that the devise of running the secondary story throughout the book, I did not care for that story and I did not like that it basically made the book so it was not a mystery "whodunit." Some aspects of the book I liked better (I thought the writing was stronger) but it did not compensate for what I did not like.
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2003
A documentary on how World War II affected the area leads to a mystery from the past. Then the director disappears and Evan suspects foul play. Is he right? The way the mysteries of the past and present weave together is brilliant. And the characters are great as always.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Natasha M.
I wavered between 2 and 3 stars for this one. I finally went with the third star for Trefor Thomas's tale. The rest of the story I wasn't too interested in... The ripples in the equanimity of Bronwen and Evan's relationship didn't really faze me as it seemed as though the author was going though the motions of adding conflict for the purpose of drama. Perhaps I was most shocked that there wasn't a sheep to be seen on the cover?
George
Jul 12, 2007 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brytish Mystery Readers
A Constable Evan Evans of Northern Wales mystery. This is a good mystery which blends actions from the World War II era with current events which involve a documentary film project regarding the rising of a German bomber from a nearby lake, a murder, black mail, and the usual Llanfair village characters and humor.
Cat.
Dec 07, 2012 Cat. rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Documentary filmmakers arrive in Wales bringing all kinds of screwy issues with them. When the producer--whom everyone found at least annoying--is found murdered in a local mine, his friends are the first suspects. But the truth goes back 60 years, and our favorite Constable figures it all out in the end. Of course.
Judy
May 25, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. Maybe I will put northern Wales on my "to visit" list, despite the weather. I really liked this book with the two stories interwoven throughout. The glossary added to my angst in that yet another language will be lost. Well told "whodunnit" mystery even though I haven't warmed up to the main character, Evan Evans or to his soon to be wife.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I'm getting quite comfortable with Welsh now. That being said, a film crew come to town to do a documentary. This greatly upsets the locals.

Bronwen's past confronts her and the producer gets murdered. Do they intersect in some way? Constable Evans must keep perspective as his heart and mind are challenged.
Ann
Aug 28, 2008 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books about Wales and Constable Evans with other characters like Evans-the-Meat and Evans-the-Milk. Very down-to-earth but complicated, too, like the author, whom I've met at our Sisters in Crime Murder in the Magic City annual evant.
Miriam
May 18, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fun afternoon read. ms. bowen writes well, so even if the storyline and details are only interesting, not enthralling, the novel is pleasant to read and not predictable -- an important factor in a mystery!
Mary Baker
Feb 06, 2016 Mary Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read about a Welsh policeman who solves a mysterious murder. I enjoy reading about the setting and the people in the small village where he works. In this novel the author includes the slate mines in Wales, with which I was not familiar.
Calilibrarian
I'm kind of embarassed that I read this book since the title is so hokey. The book was good mainly because I like this genre and it filled my pocket in that regard nicely. But all the same, I don't think I'll read anymore of her Constable Evan Evans series.
Alice
Apr 29, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Betsy
Dec 17, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story that had connections to WWII. Evan Evans is similar to Hamish Macbeth in many ways; but I really prefer the Welshman, mainly because he seems more mature in his relationships. It is an interesting series.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, british, cozy
I really enjoyed this Evan book. The mines added a sinister factor to the cozy. I enjoyed that Bronwen got some more depth. And the historical aspect to this mystery was fun. Definitely a surprise ending!
Oct 22, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Mystery was somewhat predictable, but I enjoyed the "monologue" dispersed in to the chapters and the "surprise" about what that monlogue was at the end. Some of the side characters were annoying, but I love Evan and the other main characters.
  • The Kindaichi Case Files. Vol. 14: The Gentleman Thief
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)
  • The Cluttered Corpse (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #2)
  • Killer Blonde (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12.5)
  • Murder on the Hour (Penny Brannigan, #7)
  • Re: Play, Volume 1
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)

“He looked up. “Did you just leave them where they were?” Watkins nodded. “I thought we” 0 likes