Start by marking “Evan's Gate (Constable Evans Mysteries #8)” as Want to Read:
Evan's Gate (Constable Evans Mysteries #8)

Evan's Gate (Constable Evans #8)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  686 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When Constable Evan Evans discovers a beautiful shepard's cottage in the mountains of Llanfair, Wales, he and his fiancée are thrilled. It's only months before their wedding and they are eager to begin their new life together. The cottage is in need of renovation so Evan wastes no time before he begins making much-needed repairs.

But it turns out that Evan's discovery exten
Published April 8th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published April 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Evan's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan's Gate

Dharia Scarab

4 sta
George
Jul 14, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
Now Detective Constable Evan Evans, North Wales, he is no longer the local policeman for Llanfair, so he is a plain clothesman. The story involves the disappearance of a 5 year old from a beach caravan park and, as Evans works on the case, it takes him back 25 years to the disappearance of another 5 year old who Evans knew. The story revolves around solving the two disappearances.

With Evans no longer the "village bobby," there is less of the Llanfair locals from earlier novels which reduces the
Bonnie
Evan's Gate is the eighth in the Constable Evans Mystery series by Rhys Bowen, and it is the best so far. The setting is Llanfair, Wales for all the stories and the reader feels as if they too can visit the Red Dragon pub, hike the Snowdon Horseshoe mountains, and watch as the two churches that sit across from each other try to outdo each other by posting contrasting religious scriptures on their signs. Evan Evans is the local constable and local residents are know by their first name and trade ...more
Hal
A I near the end of the Constable Evans series, I grow sad. I have developed an affection for Evan and his fellow villagers. In general, I find Ms Bowen has a terrific aptitude for plotting, although she too often resorts to unlikely coincidences. She tosses in just enough false "clues" to keep things interesting.

When I first started reading cozies last fall, I was critical of the paucity of literary merit. Now, however, I realize that criticizing novels in this escapist genre for not being last
Marilyn
A child has disappeared in Lanfair Wales. As Evan works on a ditch at the new cottage he and Bronwen look forward to inhabiting after their wedding, he strikes what he thinks is a rock, but turns out to be a bone! As he explores further he finds more bones and a small shoe! Horrified, he remembers another little girl who disappeared 25 years ago. Sarah was a summer visitor to the area in those days - a little girl a year younger than himself whom he played with when she was around. As Evan repor ...more
Joanna
Good story, however I prefer Ms. Bowen's Royal Spyness ad Molly Murphy series.
Kathy Davie
Eighth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in Wales and revolving around a bright young policeman lacking the time to hike as much as he was used to.

My Take
I do so enjoy this series. Bowen has created a small cast of colorful characters whose lives move forward and every once in awhile, they look back as Evan does in this installment. This particular story revolves around two young 5-year-old-ish girls. One went missing 25 years ago; the other a few hours ago.

There is an introspective ai
Roland Clarke
Although I plunged straight into the Constable Evans Mystery series with this eighth book in the series, I was pulled straight in. Constable Evans, who had joined the plainclothes division by this point. Was so well portrayed by Rhys Bowen that I could visualize him, as well as the North Wales setting.

I have to admit that I picked up the book, because it started with a five-year-old girl vanishing from a caravan park in Porthmadog – just across the estuary from where I live, in North Wales. But
Gloria
Found this as an old paperback in the library. Again with the Wales setting and culture...I love popping into the pub for a toad in the hole. Evan Evans must solve the mystery of a missing child which is mixed with the disappearance of one of his childhood playmates 25 years before. Many twists and turns to see if the two disappearances are connected. Very nice read.
Mark Baker
A missing girl in the modern day dovetails with Evan finding the skeleton of a girl who went missing 25 years ago. Are the two connected? We're back to the charm and intrigue of the series now in another strong book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Norma Huss
Another of an excellent series, but hard to find. In this one, Constable Evan Evans of Wales is taken back to his childhood when visitors arrive that he remember. A playmate disappeared back then, and the mystery is revisited. Many twists and turns coupled with Evan's attempts to get a cottage ready to bring a bride into. There are complications that include a skeleton.

Who doesn't love a town where, with so many named the same thing, he's Evan the law, and others are differentiated by their occ
D. Eric
Up until the ending of "Evan's Gate," the story seemed to have jumped from the somewhat lighthearted-murder mystery (if murder can be lighthearted) into the more serious, grown-up type of mystery.

This time it deals with child abduction and a 25 year-old missing-child case as well. For better or worse, the solution pulls the series back to its accustomed level. Some readers will wish it had moved beyond the previous level and into serious mystery, while others, I am sure, are happy to keep it on
Lynn
Bowen focused more on the mystery here than the romantic back and forth thread of the previous books and the book was much better for that! A very well done puzzle.
Jehnie
This is Bowen's first series and as it progresses, the writing is getting more nuanced and the characters are more fleshed out. I just don't care for the recent plots as much.
Niece
Absolutely love the Constable Evans Series. Set in a quaint village in Wales the story offers a light romance/mystery. Love the characters!
Georgene
An interesting mystery that takes place in Wales and Yorkshire. It is part of a series. I think I would like to read more of these.
Nell
Excellent mystery. The disappearance of a young girl brings up a similar disappearance twenty five years earlier, a childhood friend of Detective Constable Evans. That case remains unsolved. It just happens that the family is back in the area for the first time in 25 years when the second disappearance takes place. Evans and his supervisor, DCI Watkins take this case personally for different reasons. Is the past repeating itself or are the two cases unrelated? Bowen does a fine job as the police ...more
LJ
EVAN’S GATE – VG
Rhys Bowen – 8th in series
Contstable Evan Evans becomes involved with two cases of missing children; one new, one old. Although the cases are 25 years apart, there are striking similarities in the age and appearance of the children. Evans feels a particular involvement as he played with the girl who disappeared 25 year’s ago and wonders whether the two cases are related.
***This is a well-written series which has, for me, become better over time as they become less light. There ar
Don
I just love this series. Every time I return to it, I feel like I'm returning home.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Evan Evans, The Detective Constable, finds his current case bringing back his childhood to the foreground of his current life. A little girl had gone 'missing', she was his friend at the time, although from a different class. One days she goes missing.

Decades later, DC Evans goes to look at the shell of a hut he plans of making his new home and finds the bones of a small child...could it be?

This starts off this book with a bang.

Is there a connection with a current 'missing' child report? You wi
Phair
Don't know why our mystery f2f group picked #8 to read rather than starting with #1. I don't generally like to jump into the middle of an established series. This was enjoyable. Good local color with wonderful peeks at Welsh history and folklore. Bowen seems to have a good feel for her male characters. My copy of the book (and it was a commercial copy, not an ARC) was filled with editing errors- typos, grammatical goofs, misspellings. That's what comes of letting machines do the proofing and 't ...more
Suzane
New cozy mystery series to check out.
Echo
In this book, Evan is trying to buy an old cottage where he and his fiance can live. In the process, a young girl goes missing at a nearby beach and Evan must help try to find her. Just days later, while trying to unearth a pipeline at the cottage he means to fix up, he unearths the skeleton of a child and starts trying to solve the mystery of a little girl who disappeared 25 years ago.
Good series. Fun characters. Easy, enjoyable book to read.
Julie
this is another good mystery in the series. am sad that there are only 2 more in the series. liked this one better than the previous entry. evan evans is restoring an old stone shepherd's cottage on the side of snowdon. he finds bones - could they be connected with a friend of his who disappeared when they were children - and is there a connection with another little girl who has gone missing, of similar appearance?
Barbra
My not enjoying this book was largely due to the problem of a child's death...ugh. I have read other books by this author and have enjoyed them, but if I had known that the story involved the death of a child I would not have gotten it. Tell me I am putting my head in the sand, but we get too much of this today and I DON'T have to read a book about it. (off my soapbox)!!
My favorite of the series so far. The "mystery" was a little unfair, but that made it somewhat of a surprise at the end, which is rare for me in this mostly predictable series. I like the author and the series, so I keep going. On to the next one, which I guess will be backwards because apparently I skipped the last one...
Carol
Evan's Gate is well worth reading. Bowen offers lots of Welsh local colour and a likeable detective, Evan Evans. She works with two plots, both equally important, and leads the reader to an ending that is fairly satisfying. Bowen writes a good cozy and I'm looking forward to reading other novels by her.
Shauna
A little girl goes missing from a trailer park in Wales. Is this disappearance related to a skeleton Evan finds as he's digging in the front yard of his new cottage he's restoring? This new discovery takes us back to an early time in Evan's childhood when a friend disappeared without a trace.
Mary M
My first of the Evan Evans novels... not my favourite but it's well laid out. Interesting to get the Welsh countryside and customs included. The actual mystery itself seemed a bit thin but I enjoyed the main characters. Will pick up another in the series to give another try.
Milena Benini
Another really solid mystery, a 3.5-star rating. Constable Evans is getting to be among my favourites.
  • Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth, #25)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Portrait of a Lady (Leonardo da Vinci Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #1)
  • The Penguin Who Knew Too Much (Meg Langslow, #8)
  • Rosemary Remembered (China Bayles, #4)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)