Start by marking “Evanly Choirs” as Want to Read:
Evanly Choirs

Evanly Choirs (Constable Evans #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  713 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In Wales, constable Evan Evans investigates the murder of a famous opera singer who came to the area for a rest. Suspects abound, including his wife, his lover and a dissatisfied son.
Published 1999 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Evanly Choirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evanly Choirs

Dagny
Evanly Choirs is the third in Rhys Bowen's Constable Evan Evans series. A famous opera singer has come to the small town of Llanfair in Wales for a rest. Ifor Llewelyn once lived in Wales where his mother worked in one of the big houses. He went to college with the local choir master so it is natural that he join his voice to theirs in a National musical competition. Meanwhile, he has his eye on the local barmaid and is also planning to write his explicit memoirs. A counterpoint to the mystery o ...more
Hal
I have read almost all of the Constable Evans series. This was one of my favorites. The plot is predictable, but I enjoyed the book because this is one of the few novels in the series in which Evan shows a little edge. He pops off at one of the annoying characters, and I felt like cheering. I wish Ms Bowen had let Evan's character develop more.

Another thing I liked about this book is that Evan's girlfriend barely appears. I have found the romance between the Evan and Bron absolutely boring. Ther
Kathy Davie
Third in the Constable Evans mystery series set in Wales, Llanfair is privileged to have a former son return, a world-famous opera singer, Ifor Llewelyn, who rents the Powell-Jones house for the summer. Mrs Powell-Jones is over the moon as she can kill two birds with one stone: take care of mummy who can finally have her hip operation and buy a new three-piece suite! Mr. Powell-Jones can board with Mrs. Williams, the only house in town, which has an extra room. No one can withstand Mrs. Powell-J ...more
Mark Baker
The local men's chorus is hoping to win the upcoming cultural festival thanks to a world famous tenor who has returned to his hometown. However, he's a jerk who manages to get murdered. This third book oozes the charming characters and fun mystery of the first two in the series.

Carstairs Considers.
Roxann
A good friend gave me 2 of Constable Evans mysteries and now I hope to get them all. This is the third book in the series but the first one I read. The series is based in a mountainous village of Llanfair, North Wales. The book gives a wonderful description of a homey, small town and all the quirky characters with their colorful names (Evans-the-Meat, Evans-the-Post, Roberts-the-Pump, Harry-the-Pub).

This story includes the eisteddfod, the annually held Welsh cultural gathering, and Constable Ev
Norma Huss
Deputy Evan Evans of Wales (pardon me if I don't spell the town's name) has done it again. Well, actually, he did it a few years ago when this book was written, but I've just read ir, so it was new to me.

Evans-the-law, as he's called to differenciate himself from Evans-the-meat and Evans-the-post, is just too nice to everyone, which gets him into trouble with the teacher who he really decides he likes the best. And, his 'nice to everybody' ways could get him killed, couldn't it?

It's a close ca

Review to come
George
Jul 03, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
Another in the series involving Constable Evan Evans Northern Wales village policeman mysteries. This story involves the murder of an international opera star who returns to his home in Evan's village to rest for the summer. Evans sorts his way through a number of red herrings and plot complications to finally find the murderer.

The generally light hearted story has the usual village characters, rivalries, inter-relationships, as well as Evan's continuing in the middle relationship between two at
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
What do I think of this book? Well, I not only learned the tradition of the Eisteddfod, but am now learning the 'Welsh.' This series of books are wonderful.

Constable Evans is nominated to join the Men's Choir for the annual Eisteddfod when a famous Opera singer arrives back to his hometown and announces he would love to join the group. This larger than life man, also ends up with a larger than life death that our beloved Constable must solve. He will but not without twists and turns to delight
S.M.
super lame plot. disappointing.
Brett
Continues to be a lightly middle-of-the-road mystery series whose major interest point is its setting in a small village in Northern Wales. This one has a larger-than-usual content of local color in the form of Welsh language & cultural references. I was thrilled that there was a glossary at the beginning containing pronunciations, although I'd still really love to hear these books on audio read by a native speaker.
Judy
Nice to read another of Bowen's stories. The author's imagination is limitless - so much happens in a supposedly dull old fashioned town. "I feel peckish". Did I really hear that phrase while I was a child? I think so. One has to be around chickens to understand its origin. And I was on to the murderer long before we were given all the hints...so does that mean I could be a detective?
Sally
I thought at first this would not be a very good mystery, but discovered the twists as you get closer to the end were pretty well done. There was not so much of the landscape/environment nor of the local characters in this book as in the first two in the series, but the flavor of Wales still comes through. Rhys Bowen makes the story flow smoothly, and I enjoy her style.
Julia
Up to my third one in this series of a Welsh police constable solving mysteries in a quiet Welsh village. The writing is good, and the characters are memorable. I'm pretty sure I'm pronouncing everything wrong, even though this volume came with a Welsh dictionary in the front.
Babette
These books are a treat to read. Everything about them is likable. The part I enjoyed the most in this book was the way in which Evans was taken up by the Sergeant to help with the case. And we are given a few clues about Evans past. What a nice guy!
Leah
I thought this one could have been wrapped up better--I was left feeling a lack of closure in some ways. But still a great read and it kept me in suspense throughout the whole book, as always!
Janet Wilcox
A major charm of Rhys Bowen's mysteries is that they are set in Wales, with lots of countryside humor, and culture sprinkled in. If you have Welsh ancestors, I'd recommend these books.
Mary
This is a good series so far. It has everything I look for in a cozy mystery series including a small town, fun, characters, and, usually, some form of a British accent.
Nell
Really enjoyed this mystery - third in the series. Some early passages were LOL hilarious! plenty of suspects and several twists kept me guessing until the end. Cleverly done.
Deena
Took me a while to find it (actually, it took moving to a town with a proper library, as it is out of print), but I'm still enjoying this series.
Carrieuoregon
Fun cozies. Still like protagonist. Kind of want to see Wales, though I'm not much for mountains when it comes right down to it.
Alice
3 and a half stars.

I just adore Evan Evans and this Rhys Bowen series about a police inspector in a small Welsh town.
Jeanette
This is the 3rd book in the Constable Evans Mystery series.I like the plot and the characters are likeable.
Patricia
I think I like this book the best of the three so far. I am lloking forward to book 4.
Dee
These are very similar in character development to M. C. Beaton's Hamish McLoed series.
Pam
A nice fun mystery series... mostly just brain candy, but I like it.
Catherine Woodman
Clever titles with less clever tales--a good murder mystery
Helen
#3 in series, slow start but good yarn
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Down the Garden Path
  • Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #1)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)