Start by marking “Evanly Choirs” as Want to Read:
Evanly Choirs

Evanly Choirs (Constable Evans #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,058 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In Wales, constable Evan Evans investigates the murder of a famous opera singer who came to the area for a rest. Suspects abound, including his wife, his lover and a dissatisfied son.
Published 1999 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Evanly Choirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evanly Choirs

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The GR blurb up there under the title has nothing to do with the novel titled "Evanly Choirs."

Two and a half stars. Predictable--Bowen telegraphs her punches from miles away--this reads rather like an episode of "Murder She Wrote" or any of the 1980s TV cosies. I am tired to death of the constable's bumbling romance that never gets anywhere. Yes, I know there are people who are so good at their jobs that social interaction goes by the board, but this is about the third time that the authoress ha
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bowen-rhys
Evanly Choirs is the third in Rhys Bowen's Constable Evan Evans series. A famous opera singer has come to the small town of Llanfair in Wales for a rest. Ifor Llewelyn once lived in Wales where his mother worked in one of the big houses. He went to college with the local choir master so it is natural that he join his voice to theirs in a National musical competition. Meanwhile, he has his eye on the local barmaid and is also planning to write his explicit memoirs. A counterpoint to the mystery o ...more
Miriam
Sep 13, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evan Evans is growing on me. I liked this book. It was also edited better than the last one - no glaring typos to bring one down out of the story.
kari
Dec 14, 2016 kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is such a fun series! Highly recommend.
Kathy Davie
Mar 20, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Third in the Constable Evans mystery series set in Wales, Llanfair is privileged to have a former son return, a world-famous opera singer, Ifor Llewelyn, who rents the Powell-Jones house for the summer. Mrs Powell-Jones is over the moon as she can kill two birds with one stone: take care of mummy who can finally have her hip operation and buy a new three-piece suite! Mr. Powell-Jones can board with Mrs. Williams, the only house in town, which has an extra room. No one can withstand Mrs. Powell-J ...more
Ed
#3 in the Evan Evans series. Evans-the-Law, as the Welsh constable is known to differentiate him from Evans-the-Meat and Evans-the Milk, has been persuaded to join the men's choir. A world-famous tenor has come to the village for a rest offers to join the choir because the choirmaster is an old schoolmate. When the tenor winds up dead, there are a multitude of clues, including red herrings among the genuine clues set out for the alert reader. Two confessions don't help the investigation.

Evan Eva
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 30, 2015 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it really liked it
Evanly Choirs is the third in Rhys Bowen's Constable Evan Evans series. It is the first one I read, but it stood alone just fine.
In this story a former Llanfair boy who has become a famous opera singer returns to the small town in Wales for a rest. Ifor Llewelyn's mother worked in the big house that he rents for the summer. He went to college with the local choir master so it is natural that they want him to sing in the National musical competition. Evan has also been recruited to join the choir
Anastassia Dyubkova
Из трёх прочитанных мной книг этой серии почему-то именно третья далась тяжелее всего; при наличии достаточно чёткого линейного сюжета по непонятной причине было сложно на нём сосредоточиться. В этой части побочных линий нет - только мелкие ответвления, которые тесно связаны с основным сюжетом. Вновь начало неторопливое, первый труп появляется в тексте далеко не сразу, но, пожалуй, в данном случае такой подход оправдан, потому что нам дают хорошую экспозицию и подсказки (которые, как водится, вс ...more
Roxann
Jun 18, 2011 Roxann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A good friend gave me 2 of Constable Evans mysteries and now I hope to get them all. This is the third book in the series but the first one I read. The series is based in a mountainous village of Llanfair, North Wales. The book gives a wonderful description of a homey, small town and all the quirky characters with their colorful names (Evans-the-Meat, Evans-the-Post, Roberts-the-Pump, Harry-the-Pub).

This story includes the eisteddfod, the annually held Welsh cultural gathering, and Constable Ev
Ceejay
Feb 01, 2016 Ceejay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third entry in the Constable Evans series is another excellent mystery by Rhys Bowen. I don't do spoilers, so it's hard for me to review mysteries. In this book we return to the Welch town of Llanfair where Cosctable Evan Evans lives and works. The town is preparing for an annual folk festival, and an international opera star, a native of the town, returns and agrees to help the mens choir compete in the festival. What could go wrong? It's a mystery, so lots can happen. An interesting featu ...more
Hal
Feb 06, 2014 Hal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read almost all of the Constable Evans series. This was one of my favorites. The plot is predictable, but I enjoyed the book because this is one of the few novels in the series in which Evan shows a little edge. He pops off at one of the annoying characters, and I felt like cheering. I wish Ms Bowen had let Evan's character develop more.

Another thing I liked about this book is that Evan's girlfriend barely appears. I have found the romance between the Evan and Bron absolutely boring. Ther
Norma Huss
Feb 11, 2013 Norma Huss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, favorites
Deputy Evan Evans of Wales (pardon me if I don't spell the town's name) has done it again. Well, actually, he did it a few years ago when this book was written, but I've just read ir, so it was new to me.

Evans-the-law, as he's called to differenciate himself from Evans-the-meat and Evans-the-post, is just too nice to everyone, which gets him into trouble with the teacher who he really decides he likes the best. And, his 'nice to everybody' ways could get him killed, couldn't it?

It's a close ca
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
What do I think of this book? Well, I not only learned the tradition of the Eisteddfod, but am now learning the 'Welsh.' This series of books are wonderful.

Constable Evans is nominated to join the Men's Choir for the annual Eisteddfod when a famous Opera singer arrives back to his hometown and announces he would love to join the group. This larger than life man, also ends up with a larger than life death that our beloved Constable must solve. He will but not without twists and turns to delight
George
Jul 03, 2007 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
Another in the series involving Constable Evan Evans Northern Wales village policeman mysteries. This story involves the murder of an international opera star who returns to his home in Evan's village to rest for the summer. Evans sorts his way through a number of red herrings and plot complications to finally find the murderer.

The generally light hearted story has the usual village characters, rivalries, inter-relationships, as well as Evan's continuing in the middle relationship between two at
Brett
May 21, 2012 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Continues to be a lightly middle-of-the-road mystery series whose major interest point is its setting in a small village in Northern Wales. This one has a larger-than-usual content of local color in the form of Welsh language & cultural references. I was thrilled that there was a glossary at the beginning containing pronunciations, although I'd still really love to hear these books on audio read by a native speaker.
Mark Baker
Mar 09, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2002
The local men's chorus is hoping to win the upcoming cultural festival thanks to a world famous tenor who has returned to his hometown. However, he's a jerk who manages to get murdered. This third book oozes the charming characters and fun mystery of the first two in the series.

Carstairs Considers.
Mary Baker
Another fun read about a small Welsh town in which all the locals know each other's business. When a world famous opera singer returns to his home town, everyone is excited at the prospect of his singing with the men's choir in a local competition. Unfortunately, their star singer is killed before the contest, and Evan Evans has to find his killer.
Judy
Jul 23, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to read another of Bowen's stories. The author's imagination is limitless - so much happens in a supposedly dull old fashioned town. "I feel peckish". Did I really hear that phrase while I was a child? I think so. One has to be around chickens to understand its origin. And I was on to the murderer long before we were given all the hints...so does that mean I could be a detective?
Sally
Jan 28, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought at first this would not be a very good mystery, but discovered the twists as you get closer to the end were pretty well done. There was not so much of the landscape/environment nor of the local characters in this book as in the first two in the series, but the flavor of Wales still comes through. Rhys Bowen makes the story flow smoothly, and I enjoy her style.
Nan St.Michael
Jul 22, 2015 Nan St.Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner for Rhys Bowen! Love the Constable Evans series and am quite fond of Rhys Bowen. I've been skipping around in this series, reading them as I find them and backing up or skipping them does matter at all, each one stands alone quite well and Ms. Bowen doesn't go on and on about what went before so I don't feel like I've read half the book before.
Thank you Rhys Bowen!
Babette
Sep 11, 2009 Babette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
These books are a treat to read. Everything about them is likable. The part I enjoyed the most in this book was the way in which Evans was taken up by the Sergeant to help with the case. And we are given a few clues about Evans past. What a nice guy!
Julia
Sep 12, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Up to my third one in this series of a Welsh police constable solving mysteries in a quiet Welsh village. The writing is good, and the characters are memorable. I'm pretty sure I'm pronouncing everything wrong, even though this volume came with a Welsh dictionary in the front.
Niece
May 30, 2015 Niece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love the Constable Evans Series. Set in a quaint village in Wales the story offers a light romance/mystery. Love the characters!
Janet Wilcox
Aug 22, 2009 Janet Wilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A major charm of Rhys Bowen's mysteries is that they are set in Wales, with lots of countryside humor, and culture sprinkled in. If you have Welsh ancestors, I'd recommend these books.
Alice
Apr 15, 2013 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3 and a half stars.

I just adore Evan Evans and this Rhys Bowen series about a police inspector in a small Welsh town.
Diann
May 22, 2016 Diann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Figured this one out pretty quickly, but it was still a fun read. Rhys Bowen keeps her books moving along ...
Jeanette
This is the 3rd book in the Constable Evans Mystery series.I like the plot and the characters are likeable.
Nell
Jan 26, 2012 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cache, z2012
Really enjoyed this mystery - third in the series. Some early passages were LOL hilarious! plenty of suspects and several twists kept me guessing until the end. Cleverly done.
Mary
Feb 18, 2010 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
This is a good series so far. It has everything I look for in a cozy mystery series including a small town, fun, characters, and, usually, some form of a British accent.
Carrieuoregon
Fun cozies. Still like protagonist. Kind of want to see Wales, though I'm not much for mountains when it comes right down to it.
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • Killer Blonde (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12.5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • The Green Man (Roger the Chapman, #17)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)