Start by marking “Evan Help Us (Constable Evans Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Evan Help Us (Constable Evans Mysteries #2)
Preview

Evan Help Us (Constable Evans #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  976 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Evan Evans is settling into his role as Constable of Llanfair, a small town nestled in the mountains of North Wales. Here, he has been a mediator of the minor disputes of the locals, between competing ministers, country merchants, and seemingly every Welch eccentric throughout the region. But an unusual series of events brings unseen hostilities to light, and Evan realizes ...more
Published August 15th 1998 by Minotaur Books (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Evan Help Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan Help Us

Dagny
Evan Evans is the constable of a small town, Llanfair, in the mountains of Northern Wales. In this story we have the return of a prodigal son and the murder of an annual visitor, a very popular elderly gentleman. We also are shown Evan's interest in the local schoolteacher, and a newcomer's interest in Evan, in addition to his landlady's persistent attempt to set him up with her granddaughter. Lots of humor, a fun book.
Kathy Davie
The second in the Constable Evans Welsh mystery series, Evan Help Us has a 1950-ish feel to it with a whole crew of fun characters whom you can't help but enjoy including the Detective Inspector who is more concerned with his fishing than the truth (he does remind me of Racer from the Inspector Jury series by Martha Grimes).

Constable Evan Evans has transferred to Llanfair to get away from the intensity of crime in the big city only to fall into it in this tiny, picturesque Welsh village. Two mur
Mark Baker
Rumors that Camelot is just outside of the village and plans to build an amusement park lead to murder, and Constable Evans is right in the middle of it again. The characters grow better and the plot is just as interesting as the first book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Karen C
Enjoy this series, along with Rhys Bowen's Royal series. This one reminds me a bit of M. C. Beaton's "Hamish Macbeth" series (earlier ones). Little Welsh hamlet. Close-knit and gossipy. Smart policeman in a little town. But I like the writing better on this series and don't find the people quite as silly as they are in M. C. Beaton's books.
Jody
Evan Help Us is the second in a series featuring Evan Evans, a constable in the small Welch town of Llanfair. When two murders occur in rapid succession, Evan is called upon to help solve the mystery. Rhys Bowen describes the Welch countryside in charming detail, but the action is a trifle plodding and lacks the spice of the Molly Murphy and Royal Spyness novels by the same author. Things do heat up in the final chapters, with what starts out as a fairly predictable resolution twisting itself in ...more
Fanficfan44
Constable Evans is a happy village policeman surrounded by an interesting array of characters, among them Evans the Meat, Evans the Post, tourists, competing love interests, and of course a murderer. The mystery begins when an amateur archaeologist stumbles upon what might be the tomb of King Arthur and then has his head bashed in on his way home from the pub. The mystery leads the reader all through the little Welsh village and then some leads go all the way to London.

The book invokes a well es
Norma Huss
Evan Evans is back with his second case in Wales. This one begins with a killing disguised as an accidental fall from a small bridge. Evan, in his quiet way, looks into things. The fact that his superior wants him to remain friendly with the new woman in town does not sit well with a couple of local ladies. How can what could be considered a police procedural be described as 'sweet?' Well, this story is easy to read, definitely has those homey sweet moments, as well as deadly danger to liven the ...more
Debby Stephan
This series of books was one of the most fun and interesting mysteries I have read in a long time. I learned more about Wales than I had ever known. After reading this series, I was lucky enough to travel to Wales and was amused by the accuracy of the descriptions in the books. Right down to the people speaking English until a stranger walks in - then beginning to speak Welsh. What fun. If you're looking for books to make you feel good, to help you learn more about a culture and just plain smile ...more
Maren
This series could be so much better. The main problem is that Constable Evan Evans is an incredibly bland character. The quirky villagers and setting in the mountains of northern Wales are all that keeps me reading when I want a pleasant book to take my mind off the stressful things in life.
Kevin
Babette
This is the second book in the Evan Evan series, set in a very small village in Wales. It was even more enjoyable than the first, maybe because I know the characters better. They are small-town folks and have a sincerity about them that is refreshing. The book is a fast read, but the main characters are serious in their pursuits, so the story does not deteriorate into frivolity. The one question is, of course, how believable will it be for murders to keep occurring in such a tiny village. But ma ...more
Bev
I think I've had this book around for a couple of years. It was one on my Cozy Mystery list. It was hard to get started but was perfect to read while milking. It seemed to be more interesting read in bits and pieces rather than in two or three sittings. It wasn't the greatest mystery but it was nice way to pass the time. I'll probably read the others. I believe that Rhys Bowen is still writing but not on this series. I believe she has at least 2 more that I may look into sometime.
Carol
This is a fun mystery for light reading. The slueth is a constable in a small village in Wales, a likeable fellow. Part of the interest for me is the description of the Welsh countryside and people. My family has always been proud of our Welsh heritage even though none of us speak Welsh! In spite of the English dominance resulting hautiness towards the Welsh "country bumpkins", the Welsh continue to take pride in their heritage. This comes through in the novel.
Pam
Whenever I need a little mental vacation, I pick up a mystery. I just love 'em. This is a "new to me" author recommended by both my favorite aunt and cece. Thank you to both of them. Rhys Bowen has three series that I know of: Evan Evans, Molly Murphy and Lady Georgiana. I've now read 2 of the E.E. mysteries - set in present day Wales; and both of the L.G. mysteries - set in 1930's London and Scotland (this is her newest series).
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
What does the myth of Beddgelert have to do with murders? You will never guess in a zillion years. When you are not laughing aloud, you are sitting there trying to solve the crimes along with Constable Evans. An 80yr old and just who does he recognize prior his 'sudden' demise?

The questions and guesses keep coming as you become immersed within this novel. I can barely wait to read the next in the series.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Things I like about this book:
- that the main character's name is a tautological Evan Evans
- that there are actually several people who have the last name Evans in the town, so they are known as Evans-the-Post, Evans-the-Milk, Evans-the-Meat, and Evans-the-Law (I think you can figure out what their professions are!)
- that even though Llanfair is a sleepy little town, stirring events happen.
George
Jun 30, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
Another in the Welsh Constable Evan Evans mystery series. The Welsh village policeman finds himself in the middle of the attentions of three women while trying to solve two murders. Also included are the usual village characters and issues; this time involving a possible historical ruin, rivalry between villages, and the desire to change their village name to garner more status.
Lize
In 2002 I was working as a volunteer with a literacy program taught by the School Sisters of St. Francis in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This was recommended to me by one of the nuns, Sister Toni. I'm not sure why I never got around to reading any more of these--this was well-written, and I didn't figure out who did it 50 pages in. A lovely story, and Sister Toni-approved.
Nell
Engaging mystery with a several plot twists. Second in the series. At the end, the constable acts impulsively, confronts the murderer without notifying his sargeant and then goes alone to an isolated place with him or her. TSTL! I hope this doesn't become a pattern. Developing relationships between the characters are a good subplot.
Beth Revers
I like Evan, and am sad that the series is finite, the author seems to have finished writing this one. The small village setting is an interesting one, with the interactions being a main focus.
This was a great entry into the series.
Martha
A quick one day read with wonderful Welsh landscapes and quirky villagers. Constable Evan Evans of Llanfair is a nice guy though a bit too clueless about women to be believable. Still he'd be nice to know!
☯Emily
I enjoy reading books by Rhys Bowen and this was no exception. Evan Evans solves two murders in his small village as he juggles three women in his life. His job takes precedence over the romantic however.
Mark Macatee
I really enjoyed this. Evan Evans is great. Much better developed than in the first book. I hope they don't drag out the love interest thing too long though. That could get monotonous real quick.
Aline Soules
I read this and I read all the other titles in the "Evan" series by Rhys Bowen. They're a fun read and I enjoyed them. They're light reading for sure, but well-written and fun.
Monica
RATED - PG13.
FOUL LANGUAGE - I don't remember any.
SEX - Some discussion of prostitution.
VIOLENCE - It's a murder mystery.
DID I LIKE IT? Yes.

This series is two for two.
Jeanette
This was the 2nd book in the Constable Evans Mystery series. The plot was good and the main character are likeable. Will read more of the series.
Julie
This series reminds me of Lilian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who" series. Not much meat but something I can with which I can easily relax and feel at home.
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • Sheer Folly (Daisy Dalrymple, #18)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #1)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)