Start by marking “In the Closed Room” as Want to Read:
In the Closed Room

In the Closed Room

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is a short story concerning a working class couple, Jem and Jane Foster and their otherwordly young daughter, Judith. Judith is imaginative and solitary, she frequently dreams of her Aunt Hester, who died quietly at a very young age.
Judith and her parents live in a hot, airless flat near the City's noisy Elevated Railroad. The father is offered the temporary position
Published 1904 by The McClure Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Closed Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Closed Room

Austen to Zafón
I enjoyed this short gothic ghost story...for children? I can't quite figure out who is the intended audience. Older versions have art by Bessie Wilcox Smith, lending the story the air of sweet, rosy children at play. And the main characters *are* small children at play, although not rosy ones. I read it online without pictures and I would say that it's ghostly enough that I can't imagine many small children liking it and yet it's not quite YA either. The descriptions of the grown-ups seem more ...more
Metaphorosis
Somewhat surprising for those who know Burnett mainly from her children's books. This is a somewhat spooky story about a girl in a large house her parents are taking care of. It's pleasant, but she doesn't completely pull it off. The gender roles are a period of the age, but a bit jarring to read now.

If you're a Burnett fan, by all means, pick this up, but there's no need to go out of your way for it.
Marty
3.5
I picked this book up on a whim (on a Hodgson Burnett kick), and I'm not disappointed that I did.
It's pretty enjoyable to see all the different genres and ways that this author other dips her feet into writing styles and bits and bobs.
This was a sort of thriller/ghost story? Very chilling and intense. Funny thing that I found was that it sort of reminded me a /lot/ of 'Gone Home' (the video game), when they moved into the new house. It was like a written feeling and scenery of that game in my
Emily
Jul 13, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
May I recommend In the Closed Room by Frances Hodgson Burnett? The children here get up to no hijinks and no shenanigans. Do you know what these children do? THEY DIE. I'm reading Good Girl Messages, where the author, obviously unitiated to the FHB planet, freaks out because of the amount of beautifully dead children In the Closed Room. She compares it to Kate Douglas Wiggins' The Birds' Christmas Carol and Beth in Little Women, which are all problematic if you don't want little girls to think t ...more
Oct 17, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A short ghost story by the author of The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett. There's something very eerie about this story and yet... the ending is supposed to be beautiful and uplifting.

spoiler alert: {when the mother discovers the ghost of her dead child has returned she is not frightened, but happy to know that it is not so far to the afterlife and she will see her child again one day.}

Not sure if I liked this story or not. It is bittersweet. It is eerie. I'm not a huge fan of ghost stori
Samantha Glasser
Jan 28, 2015 Samantha Glasser rated it really liked it
This is an eerie story about a family who moves in as caretakers to a large home which has been abandoned by the owners. One room is locked, but their daughter Judith has access to it and the new friend which lies within. The story is short but memorable both due to the easy writing and the creepy ending.

Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6027....
Sandy
This story left me in a state of confusion. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel at the end. Happy or sad. I thought it was beautifully written, though.
Stephanie
Jan 31, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I borrowed an old copy of this book from a friend, and just turning the pages was a beautiful experience. The paper and page design are exquisite and I love the color plates by Jessie Wilcox Smith. I read this lovely story in one sitting, cradling the cloth covers gently in my hands. E-readers have nothing appealing compared to old books.
I had never heard of this story by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It has the magic of Secret Garden in a shorter story, flowers, a large empty house, a ghost, and a c
Bill Sharma
Jan 08, 2016 Bill Sharma rated it it was amazing
It's a great suspense story. It's about 30 pages long. It has mix of child story and scary story mixed.
I felt like watching a boat sink and being able to do nothing about it. It is well written and I would suggest it to anyone who wants to read short, well written story.
Kat
Aug 06, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A marvelously atmospheric ghost story. Definitely not the kind of thing that Burnett is known for, except that it has an "odd child" protagonist.
Judy
Feb 03, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange story about a strange girl -- I don't know what to think about it. It was well written but it's not one I'd read again. Another free download to my Kindle.
Janette
Bitter-sweet story very typical of Burnett.
Ugoki
Ugoki rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Hay Dee
Hay Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Manishee Perera
Manishee Perera rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Erza1820
Erza1820 marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Sawako
Sawako marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Emily G
Emily G marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
sherry crisostomo
sherry crisostomo rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Mai-Anh
Mai-Anh rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...