Start by marking “Lucky” as Want to Read:
Lucky

Lucky

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Sloane would've given anything to have been born with the right body, but he hadn't. He’d have given anything to have his family back, but his father insisted that until Sloane was ready to become his heterosexual daughter again, he wanted nothing to do with him. So Sloane dealt with the challenges of living transgendered as best he could. Luckily, his best friend Jace was ...more
Published January 25th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky

Refuse by Elliott DeLineA Boy Like Me by Jennie WoodParrotfish by Ellen WittlingerBecoming a Visible Man by Jamison GreenI am J by Cris Beam
FTM / Trans Men
137th out of 159 books — 98 voters
Two Boys Kissing by David LevithanThe Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi BelleauChasing Death Metal Dreams by Kaje HarperThe Complications of T by Bey DeckardTo Summon Nightmares by J.K. Pendragon
Books about gay trans men (Fiction and nonfiction)
30th out of 34 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabbi
Mar 05, 2012 Gabbi rated it really liked it

Sloane has always known he was born in the wrong body. Born female, he was a confused child who was never comfortable in his own skin. But, the day the Sloane found out that there were other people who were also like he was, transgendered, Sloane started living as a male from that day on despite Sloane’s family and their disapproval. The one person that Sloane has always been able to depend on is his best friend, Jace. Ever since Sloane could remember, he
Veronica /  V
Jan 28, 2012 Veronica / V rated it it was ok
I started reading this book because I really like transgender stories.

Please skip this book if you are like me, and don't want to read about girly bits, as this story is more like He is psychologically male, but physically still female.
Not for me.
Tully Vincent
Feb 25, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: trans
Very short story about a young FTM who decides not to have any surgery. Enjoyed this well-written story, but really wished it were longer.
Lucy
Apr 09, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
3.5 Lucky is the story of Sloane, a female to male transgendered soul who is just desperately unhappy living in the female body he inhabits. He isn’t interested in reassignment surgery because he is afraid of complications. When he tells his parents about himself, they react poorly. His father is mayor of the town, and agrees to pay for Sloane’s college tuition as long as he promises to go somewhere far away and to have no further contact with the family until he comes to his senses and returns ...more
Ami
Jan 25, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Sloane was born as a girl -- but he struggled with himself; he felt that he have not been born with the right parts. So he was reborn as a boy. Now, Sloane on testosterone shots although he keeps his vagina because he doesn't want to risk the surgery. But, having that wrong organ is an issue, when Sloane is in love with his gay best friend, Jace.

I must tip my hat for this one for featuring a transgender as main character. Since it's a short story, the internal struggle of Sloane and his body is
Ada
Aug 02, 2015 Ada rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
I liked this one. I like that she was a man but still kept his girly parts for health reasons. I do think that medicine will evolve to a point where sex changes will be a lot safer and better than now. But until then I think it's a very personal choice to go through with it or not.

That said I love that there was someone who loved him. He called himself gay but I think that just because people have to label things. It's our nature.
It didn't bother me that he had girl parts, and yes I expected t
ManOhMan
Apr 23, 2012 ManOhMan rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewed by Max: At twenty-one pages this is a very short story. I think the overall story and characters could have been developed a lot more. Given the subject matter, I would have liked to have known more about Sloane and how he progressed from female to male.

I would love to see more stories with FTM characters, especially ones where the character identifies as being gay.

I felt the storyline was rushed. The progression from friendship to lovers happened rapidly and there was no buildup. Whe
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Charnel's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

Lucky is a contemporary transgender short story, a quick read taking 10 to 20 minutes to finish. Usually a short story leaves me wanting more from the characters but I was completely satisfied with the whole story and the end. Transgender is a genre I haven’t read before but the story between Sloane, the man in a woman’s body, and Jace, his gay best friend, is sweet, loving, hot and heartwarming.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jan 29, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook-owned, short
This is a very short story about Sloane, who is transgender.
He was disowned by his family but has his best friend Jace, who has been his rock throughout.
This is a touching read and a small window into Sloane's pain and insecurities.
Lily

This was a sweet and at times sad story about a young man dealing with being transgendered, losing his family and falling in love with his best friend.
Leah
This was just a taste of a transgender romance which was too short for me...but it left me curious and interested In the other stories this author has written.
Anke
Feb 10, 2012 Anke rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say that this story didn't work for me. The writing seemed stilted to me and I couldn't relate to the MCs. There was no chemistry whatsoever.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Genre: M/M Transgender

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Rachel
Jan 29, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I really love reading stories with transgender characters in them, and I thought this was written and handled very well.
Sadonna
Jan 27, 2012 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
Interesting short about a young transgender FtM in love with her gay best friend.
Jamie Fessenden
Jan 29, 2012 Jamie Fessenden rated it really liked it
Shelves: transgendered
A challenging subject to write about, well thought out and well done.
Meggie
Jan 29, 2012 Meggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts
To short developed story, but interesting enough.
qx
Apr 04, 2012 qx rated it liked it
Shelves: have
2.5
Anggad Raj
Anggad Raj marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Bronwyn Heeley
Bronwyn Heeley marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Yoru
Yoru marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Zak
Zak marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Dana
Dana added it
May 04, 2015
JC
JC rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Troye Fuller
Troye Fuller marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Serith
Serith added it
Feb 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tia Fielding lives in a peaceful little town in a small country in northern Europe. She loves nature, her horses, cats, and even the yappy little thing that occasionally gets called a dog. Tia learned to read before she went to school at the age six and began writing as soon as she figured she had stories to tell around the mature age of seven. Stories about horses, adventures, and ghosts might ha ...more
More about Tia Fielding...