Start by marking “History Of The Karmapas: The Odyssey Of The Tibetan Masters With The Black Crown” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Masters of esoteric knowledge and miraculous practices, the lineage of the Karmapas is the earliest of all the recognized incarnate lineages and is said to descend from the great Indian tantric master Tilopa through a chain that includes Naropa, Marpa, and Milarepa. The Karmapas are distinguished by their black crowns, said to have been woven by dakinis and symbolizing the ...more
Published April 16th 2012 by Snow Lion (first published March 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about History Of The Karmapas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History Of The Karmapas

Richard Martin
This book offers a very lively reading with plenty of amazing anecdotes and information about the marvelous everyday life of these great Tibetan masters. Well researched and beautifully written - full of magnificent photographs and watercolors -, it is profound and accessible at the same time. Anyone interested in Tibet and its form of Buddhism will want to include this book in their "must read" list. A book I would strongly recommend for the Buddhist and non-Buddhist alike.

Of all the books I ha
Stephen R
Oct 07, 2014 Stephen R marked it as to-read

This is a lively tour through the seventeen emanations of the Karmapa, the head of the Kagyupa lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. I think it omits the confusion about who is the Seventeenth Karmapa and didn't mention the recent troubles with the Indian government and supposed misappropriation of funds. I recommend this book to anyone interested in Tibetan Buddhism and the process of reincarnation.
Nikko
This is one of two books on the history of the Karmapas. This one is the most complete (more than double the size and includes the 17th). If you are at all inspired by any of the Karmapas, this lineage history is so inspiring for any practitioner or scholar.
Isaac Spencer
Inspiring, short biographies of the Karmapas. The book has a good introduction to Tibetan Buddhism.

I think it could be at least 2 times as long! I often found myself wanting a more detailed account of many of the events.
Ty Phillips
Ty Phillips is currently reading it
May 03, 2015
Juraj
Juraj marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
két con
két con marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Yishan Lee
Yishan Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Sam Bailey
Sam Bailey marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Sherri Peterson
Sherri Peterson marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Hoai Ta
Hoai Ta marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013