Start by marking “OCD Love Story” as Want to Read:
OCD Love Story

OCD Love Story

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,447 ratings  ·  425 reviews
When Bea meets Beck, she knows instantly that he’s her kind of crazy. Sweet, strong, kinda-messed-up Beck understands her like no one else can. He makes her feel almost normal. He makes her feel like she could fall in love again.

But despite her feelings for Beck, Bea can’t stop thinking about someone else: a guy who is gorgeous and magnetic... and has no idea Bea even exis
Published July 23rd 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about OCD Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about OCD Love Story

Dare You To by Katie McGarryThis is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithJust One Day by Gayle FormanEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
2013 Contemporary YA
35th out of 237 books — 1,478 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
199th out of 1,524 books — 10,626 voters

More lists with this book...

Lexie
Feb 05, 2012 Lexie marked it as to-read
If this is gonna be called "OCD Love Story," the author had better get OCD right.

Or else.

description
Vivid Light ~ ♥♥
To all yous who are saying "Oh em gee there better be proper depiction of OCD" well I have one .gif for you.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
OCD Love Story is one of those books that I think I'm going to love in retrospect. It's a painful read, one that actually sort of grated on my brain. The description calls it "raw," which is apt, and relatable, which it wasn't really for me. In the end, I'm really impressed with Haydu's debut, but largely undecided on just how I feel about it, and I already know I'll have to sit on it for a while and reread to really process my feelings about Haydu's debut.

There is no doubt in my mind that OCD L
Bianca
Dec 08, 2012 Bianca marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya-2013
This better get the facts right or else. OCD is serious.
Katy
SO messed up…

I wouldn't be honest if I said that I liked this book because quite frankly, I was a bit disturbed. But I think the book accomplished what Haydu had intended, or at least I think it was what she had intended, and for that, I have to give her props.

I was looking for a cute, fun read that this was definitely NOT that. It forced me into a very serious topic in a not very pleasant light. I often joke that I'm border-line OCD because I'm pretty anal about certain things or particular abo
loveandstolenkisses
As someone who have OCD very close in my life, I cant tell how much this book hit a sore spot in me.

The author really understood how to write a book that dont sugercoat, and make OCD to something we all can laugh at. It is a true, and very heavy story, that is so well written that you live the feelings in the book. You will experience the panic attacks, the feeling of wanting to apologize all the time, the shame, the need to do the OCD things to feel better, and how people react around one, whe
Dahlia
If I took any "points" off this book, it would be because at times, it was an incredibly difficult read, in the sense that Haydu takes you so far inside the main character's head, and it's not really a pleasant place to be. But I opted not to take points off for the fact that the author did a fantastic job presenting a disorder with which I have no experience.

Bea was definitely not the sort of main character I've ever seen before, nor Beck the sort of love interest. But this book really and tru
Lindsey Tipton
This book was so stressful I might end up in therapy!

My rating for this book could be improved one to two stars just by changing the cover and marketing. The girly colors and frills on the cover are specifically relevant to the story but send a drastically different message about the general tone of the book. This book is intense with an emphasis on the "OCD" rather than the "love story." I expected a light-hearted and quirky story but found myself trapped in someone's personal hell.

When I read
Heather
So here are the catch words I wrote down after finishing OCD Love Story: Intense, harrowing, anxious, stressful, cringe worthy, heart racing, sad, hopeful. I felt ALL of these emotions as I was reading this book. It's a tough read. Or at least it was for me. It reminded me a bit of Hilary T. Smith's Wild Awake, especially the parts of that book where protagonist Kiri is in full-on manic mode. The difference is that in OCD Love Story, protagonist Bea is pretty much ALWAYS like that. Always full o ...more
Fari
DNF @ page 200

There isn't exactly wrong with this book. I just don't care, you see. It was due at the library today and didn't bother renewing it.
Nicole
Jun 23, 2012 Nicole marked it as to-read
I have OCD...so let's see how this goes.
Kelly
An excellent exploration of mental illness. Maybe more than an exploration but an actual head-on EXPERIENCE of mental illness. A damn good debut, with a nice side of romance that is never actually a romance. It is, as the title suggests, a love story.

Full review to come.
Alexa
Mar 20, 2015 Alexa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alexa by: Estelle
FIRST THOUGHTS:

It is so, so difficult to read a novel where the main character is suffering from a condition that could potentially make you uncomfortable. And yet, I also think that's why books like this are so important. Real people have these real conditions (or something similar), and maybe it might not be exactly the same symptoms or choices because of it, but at least we know how to empathize with them and understand what they are going through a little bit more.

REVIEW:

(Originally posted
Krista (Nawanda Files)
When you take a look at the cover and blurb of OCD Love Story, you might think this is going to be a fluffy, cute little romance with minor substance. But do not be fooled. This book has a gritty, almost raw quality to it that even I wasn't expecting. Corey Ann Haydu's debut is a remarkably honest portrayal of OCD. It's a million kinds of wonderful.

Bea is the main protagonist of the novel, and throughout the book she see her therapist, Dr. Pat, and then starts group therapy. She discovers hersel
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Bea has a bit of a problem. A stalking problem. She doesn’t spend her time stalking her maybe/maybe not boyfriend, Beck. They just attend group therapy for OCD together. No, Bea spends her time stalking Austin, a man who happens to attend couple’s therapy with his wife in the timeslot right before Bea’s individual therapy sessions. But really, what Bea does isn’t stalking, is it? It’s not her fault that she gets to therapy an
Sabrina Gallien
I ranked this book incredibly low for incredibly selfish reasons. As a person suffering from even a mild form of OCD I was highly triggered by the novel. It made my own personal compulsions worse, added to my anxiety, and disrupted my functionality. However, I couldn't go without finishing the book because /my own/ OCD wouldn't allow it. Bea is a good girl, and her symptoms are highly realistic, as well as her mindset. The other characters also expose the disease in various forms and in that way ...more
Pragya
Oct 27, 2014 Pragya rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
First Published at Reviewing Shelf.

I had my sights set on this book even before it released last year. Although I got my hands on a review copy, I couldn’t get to it last year. So when I saw it in my library, I enthusiastically grabbed it.

The book began interestingly enough but soon seemed to lack lustre for me. I kept waiting for it to pick up, then waited for it to just get over and finally struggled for a month before being done with it. Phew! So glad it’s over.

I had high hopes set for this
Theresa ♫
Mar 18, 2014 Theresa ♫ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fellow humans who wanna relate to obsession. Not just OCD--OBSESSION.
Alright.
Alright alright alright . . .

I returned this thing to the library weeks ago and didn't notice it was still on my goodreads overflow of books that bring content and happiness as "currently reading" so I guess I'll just weave out a review now.

I didn't finish this piece.............of..............*sigh* I always feel sad when I can't finish a book! It hurts my insides and makes me feel very very very uncomfortable but I couldn't do it.
PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!
People are like, "How can you revi
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Bea is just your average girl with a weekly therapist appointment. She just likes to take notes, and is a bit obsessive….with a tinsy history of stalking. She meets Beck and he just might be perfect for her, but she can’t stop obsessing over Austin and his perfect life and she just needs to check in on him to make sure he’s alright one last time and then she’ll move on!

I’m a bit speechless. I was expecting an interesting love sto
Megan (Book Brats)
I read OCD LOVE STORY on pretty much a whim. After picking it up at the ALA Annual Convention in Chicago, also pretty much on a whim, I pulled it out one day and began to read without a second thought. Having never experienced OCD, nor having experienced any real mental concerns outside your standard teenage therapy for “issues” as my mother referred to them, I’m not sure if Corey Anne Haydu got the experience correct in her young adult debut, but what I did find was a sweet story about a girl s ...more
Janina
I really enjoyed this book. I've always been a sucker for stories like this - those with mental health problems. I suppose I just have an odd morbid curiosity for things like this.

Bea isn't your run-of-the-mill person with OCD. Typically you hear about the ones that have to wash their hands a billion times a day and have to check and recheck the locks on their doors before they leave the house.

Bea has an obsession with checking on Austin & Sylvia at their posh apartment in Boston. She disco
Shelley
When I started reading reviews for this, it sounded interesting but I knew I shouldn't read it. Then I read another review that focussed on a different aspect (I think how sex positive Bea was, and I did love that), so I decided to read anyway. Trigger warning for anxiety, ocd and self injury - unsurprisingly, with that title!

I totally got Bea and liked her so much. It's funny how normal she seemed to me, even her behaviors; it just seemed sort of quirky but logical as she led us through her lif
Nara
This book was bizarre. And awesome.

The portrayal of OCD was pretty accurate from what I've read about it, although I haven't actually personally seen a person suffering from OCD. I've seen some negative reviews criticising the author about how "weird", "freaky" and "ridiculous" the characters are, but honestly, those people have got to go wikipedia OCD or something, because OCD really can be quite a serious mental illness, even to the extent of needing pharmacological treatment.

To be frank, ther
Leah Maria
This is such a great love story. its not like those dumb Nickolas sparks books that are sappy and crappy. no its a whole lot better than those books. I just loved how Corey wrote out Bea. I felt like hiding in a hole somethings and felt so embarrassed for Bea or Beck when their OCD was making them do something. I was scared that the book would end badly or Bea in jail or something but it ended perfectly. This is probably one of the only love story's I actually love.
Skyler
As a person with OCD, i thought that it was accurately shown in this book. I could relate well because my OCD is very similar to Bea and Beck's forms. At times, i felt uncomfortable, but thats when you know Haydu did her job- Bea's life is uncomfortable. OCD is uncomfortable to have, as you know what you're doing is irrational but you cant stop.

I saw this book in my school library and i immediately grabbed it. Im not sure if it is because i wanted to make sure that it wasn't a shit representati
Cristina
Like I always do before reading a book, I read several reviews (yes, including some spoilers) about OCD Love Story before actually cracking open its spine and delving into its pages. I'll admit it—I was more than a little skeptical of the book at first, with its bold, almost audacious, "look-at-me" inclusion of the word 'OCD' in the title. Was it merely a buzzword, a way to raise one's hopes and lure them in? I wondered. Or could I expect it to truly live up to its name?

In the end, I decided to
Holly
I think I developed OCD just from READING this book. I have my own anxiety issues, thanks.

I give the author kudos for diving into such a raw topic. Anxiety disorders exist. Personality disorders exist. Mental disorders exist. And if we don't talk about them, we'll never get rid of stigma attached to them. So, yeah, kudos for the bravery.

However.

It was a painful read. It was unpleasant to read a large majority of the time.

It was falsely marketed. The cover and colors make it look at girly and fr
Jenni Arndt
This was a hard one to read. Which is really perfect because I think that’s exactly what author Corey Ann Haydu was going for. The compulsions that Bea feels throughout the book were palpable and I felt as if I had a weight pressing down on my chest and was immediately relieved as she finally carried out the impulse. The novel also presents an interesting look at Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and the many forms that the affliction can come in.

Bea has been in therapy for a while. She enjoys getti
Carly Comtois
Summary of the Story

Bea has OCD. She doesn't know it at first, but whoever is reading the book can certainly figure it out.

(view spoiler)
Chapters Kingston...: OCD Love Story 1 19 Sep 04, 2013 06:58PM
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • Bruised
  • OCD, the Dude, and Me
  • Canary
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • 45 Pounds (More or Less)
  • Fault Line
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • The Theory of Everything
  • Uses for Boys
  • The S-Word
  • This Is How I Find Her
  • The Symptoms of My Insanity
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Leap of Faith
  • My Life After Now
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Wild Awake
Life by Committee Making Pretty Rules for Stealing Stars

“Torture: knowing something makes no sense, but doing it anyways.” 26 likes
“It's like, I'm scared and there're a lot of ugly things, but I'd rather be shipwrecked on this lovely island than safe in a sad, gray cell.” 24 likes