Start by marking “The Ninth District (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Ninth District (Volume 1)

Read Book

The Ninth District (Volume 1)

Published December 26th 2011 by Createspace (first published June 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Ninth District, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ninth District

Jeannie Walker
Aug 10, 2012 Jeannie Walker rated it it was amazing
The author of "The Ninth District" does a great job in writing his debut thriller. He hooked me right at the beginning of his novel- I could see myself standing in the middle of the bank atrium with a gun pointed right at me. I believe Doug Dorow has an amazing talent for crafting sympathetic characters and believable dialogue.

In the novel, FBI Agent Jack Miller is a seasoned agent. When the Federal Reserve Bank is robbed, he is paired up on the tough high-profile case with Ross Fruen, an inexp
Stephen England
Nov 15, 2011 Stephen England rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading The Ninth District, I was skeptical. At 131 pages(in the PDF), the book clocks in at roughly half the length of the thrillers I usually read. Bad news: it IS a quick read. Good news: The Ninth District manages to punch well above its weight for the entire length of the ride.
Enter Jack Miller and Ross Fruen: the age-old combo of the veteran and the rookie in the FBI's Minneapolis field office. The veteran's seen his family disintegrate and the current murder/bank robbery c
Sue
Jul 13, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, fbi
I received a copy of "The Ninth District-A Thriller" by Douglas Dorow through Read4Free Book Giveaway Event.I read it on my Kindle.

I love to read mystery suspense crime thrillers, and this novel was amazing! I was glued to my Kindle from page one and I couldn't put it down.This novel was well written, the characters are well developed and the bad guy was really bad.

The Federal Reserve has never been robbed. FBI Special agent Jack Miller is pulled into a high-profile case to mentor a new agent, "
G.A.
Mar 05, 2012 G.A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure exactly what I expected from The Ninth District by Douglas Dorow, but I know what I got--an engrossing, captivating page turner that made me wonder what would happen next.

I found the main characters to be solid, the villain, known only as the Governor, to be cold and calculating, and I did find myself wrapped up in the personal struggle protagonist Jack Miller had with trying to keep his family together while helping to track down the bad guy.

The combination of the Minneapolis Fed a
Crayboy
May 23, 2012 Crayboy rated it it was ok

You have to be kidding me - my reaction to the ending. And not in a good way. Even as a setup for the second half (can't really call it a sequel) it was a lame ending.
I enjoyed reading a book set locally. Actualy that was the best part of this book. Loaded with loose ends and astonishingly unbelievable behavior by most of the cast.
Wendy Cartmell
High hopes - dashed!

The Federal Reserve has never been robbed. FBI Special Agent Jack Miller, pulled into a high-profile case to mentor a new agent, finds himself in a clash with the toughest opponent of his career. The chase culminates in the bowels of the city, in the storm sewers and tunnels beneath The Ninth District Federal Reserve of Minneapolis.(Author description)

On reading the first seven chapters, I had high hopes for this novel. The character of Jack was well drawn and the author sho
Tammy
Douglas Dorow debuts with a fantastic new FBI thriller!

Book Summary: The Federal Reserve has never been robbed.

Dorow's characters are well crafted. They are easy to believe, realistic and sympathetic. FBI Age
Lynn Hallbrooks
It left me wanting more.

This is a Mystery/Thriller with a touch of Family Drama.

FBI Special Agent Jack Miller was assigned to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area to the delight of his wife. When he considers taking another position elsewhere, his personal life is in turmoil. He is a professional so he makes every effort to keep the two separate. Jack's rookie partner takes the lead on a bank robbery/murder case while Jack lends a hand with his years of experience. When the villain, nicknamed The Gover
Shawn Hopkins
Aug 16, 2011 Shawn Hopkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doug Dorow does an excellent job in his debut thriller at forcing the reader to commit to his characters. I'm so glad this is the first in a series, because I need to know, need to experience, the evolution of these people. The story reminded me of Michael Connelly's The Black Echo though I found Durow's main character to be a bit more endearing than the infamous Harry Bosch. The story kept me intrigued, though, as needs to be in a series, it proved to be the relationships between the characters ...more
Allen Mitchum
Jan 31, 2012 Allen Mitchum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ninth District is a well-crafted crime thriller skillfully set in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. The author, Douglas Dorow, draws the reader in from the first page with the introduction of the cunning and relentlessly focused villain known to the readers only as "the Governor." A great aspect of this story is Dorow's subtle examination of contrast between the lives of the Governor and the book's main character, FBI agent Jack Miller, who sacrifices his own personal life to hunt down the ...more
Christina Drew
Feb 03, 2012 Christina Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Douglas Dorow does a good job of building a suspenseful crime novel. The story line jumps from good guy to bad guy. I found this to be an interesting approach, but some may find it confusing. While the book is not action packed but there are enough action scenes to keep you quickly turning the pages. As for the main character Jack, Dorow creates an tough, experienced FBI agent, combined with a soft heated family man. HE is very likable and it leads the reader to root even harder for the hero.
Mike
Apr 28, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, fiction, e-books
FBI agents in Minnesota track a bank robber turned murderer. Pretty good story and well-written. I liked the FBI characters, but I had a hard time with the bank robber, he didn't feel like a real person and I didn't understand some of his motivations. A lot of unanswered questions gives this book 3.5 stars. I'm willing to read the next book in the series and look for some answers there.
Sally Pearce
Jan 29, 2012 Sally Pearce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2012
This was a really good debut novel. FBI agents, Jack and Ross, are searching for a bank robber they've nick-named "The Governor". But bank robbing is not all this man has in mind. It's much bigger than that.

The book moves along at a fast pace and there are few editing errors. I'm looking forward to the next book. I'd recommend this one for those who like mystery/thriller books.
Steve Sorenson
Mar 04, 2012 Steve Sorenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent first novel. The beginning is captivating, the story doesn't slow down through the middle, and the ending is intelligent and satisfying. More than having an exciting plot, the character's personal lives are layered, giving the story an added dimension of intrigue and suspense.
Jamie D.
Nov 03, 2014 Jamie D. rated it really liked it
This was a quick read that kept me engaged, and I can see following these two FBI characters in future stories.
Stefani
Jan 13, 2013 Stefani rated it liked it
Very similar to a Patterson or Stuart woods thriller! Quick read and think it was a freebie at one point on kindle!
Ryne Pearson
Oct 28, 2012 Ryne Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller in a unique landscape. Not a cookie cutter action yarn by any standard, this is fresh and inventive, with just the right mix of brains and kinetics.
Robyn Echols
Jun 10, 2012 Robyn Echols rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I really liked this book. The characters were good and the plot was believable. The unfolding action kept me guessing exactly what the bad guys were really doing and how it was all going to play out.
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This book kept my attention and was very hard to put down! I loved how the point of view would switch between the good guy and the bad guy, giving both perceptions. I would recommend to anyone!
Pat
Jun 08, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it
First time reading this author...I will be reading more of his. Very good.
Victor Gentile
Jan 19, 2013 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Douglas Dorow in his new book, “The Ninth District” published by the author gives us a thriller about a high profile robbery of The Federal Reserve of Minneapolis.

From the back cover: The Federal Reserve has never been robbed.

Annette
Mar 26, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it
Jack is a senior FBI agent and Ross is a new FBI agent and they have just become a team. They are seeking a bank robber who has gone beyond robbing banks to killing a pregnant woman right in front of the security cameras.

This is an exciting book with plot twists, one after the other. The Governor (the bad guy) is a truly bad guy who has no conscience. He kills indiscriminately and has no qualms about anything he does. He is certainly a villainous villain.

There is a great deal of action and the p
Heath Carnes
Aug 11, 2012 Heath Carnes rated it it was amazing
A Thriller with character development...imagine that! Dorow takes the time to create the peaks and valleys that make a great book and a great thriller. Instead of one disturbing scene after another (like so many other "Thrillers" out there) we actually get to know the characters and care about what happens to them. I agree with another reviewer that the bad guy could have had more face time, but it certainly had no impact on my enjoyment of the story and the end result.

I look forward to the next
Kim Aleksander
Feb 07, 2012 Kim Aleksander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE NINTH DISTRICT starts off with a bang and instantly gets you wanting to know more about the story’s bad guy, the Governor. The FBI duo tasked to track him down keep the plot going as they work the case and trade some enjoyable banter along the way. The excitement of witnessing the heist of the century will keep you reading to the end. There is very little that detracts from enjoying this thrilling read, by Douglas Dorow. If anything, I personally would have liked to know more about the ...more
Kerry Reis
This cat-and-mouse crime thriller introduces us to grizzled veteran FBI agent Jack Miller, facing age 40 and troubling marital issues, and his new partner protégé, agent Ross Fruen, as they track down a serial bank robber who has just added murder to his MO. What they don't realize is the criminal mastermind behind these robberies is using these robberies to set up a major robbery of the Federal Reserve Bank in Minneapolis. Jack is a relatable hero working through his flaws and the story flows ...more
Derek
Mar 17, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it
There are unexpected twists right from the very beginning of the book, and they continue throughout. Douglas Dorow has done a tremendous job taking us into the lives of Agent Miller and Agent Fruen as they hunt a serial bank robber, with more than a few intense scenes that will have you on the edge of your seat. The one down side is that the ending is a little too anti-climactic, and in my opinion left a few key questions unanswered, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the book as a ...more
John
Sep 23, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I was disappointed with the ending. It was assumed the Governor is dead even though no body was found.
It would've been neat in the epilogue, that it was discovered that this idiot is now lurking in the tunnels of New York near the Federal Reserve.

I did enjoy the story however. Jack was determined to get this guy while somehow protecting his "EX" and his kids. The author had me see the complete scene and how the character's emotions spilled out.

The one thing I got out of this story; Don't ever co
Beth
Oct 09, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Basically a police procedural starring a couple of FBI agents who have to solve a series of bank robberies mixed with a couple of murders. These crimes are leading up to something big.

The evil doer is a very smart person who seems to have all the angles figured and goes after the FBI agents in order to distract them from the search for him.

Lots of character development and relationships as well as a decent plot.
Scott Leffler
May 01, 2015 Scott Leffler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed "The Ninth District" very much. Douglas Dorow painted very vivid pictures of both his characters and the surroundings. I flew through the book in short order. I believe I got it for free on Amazon a while ago and finally got around to reading it in April. I'd gladly pay for Dorow's next book, though.
Nancy Silk
Dec 08, 2011 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Doug Dorow presents a realistic action thriller story that makes one feel like you are hanging on for life as FBI Agent Jack Miller drives hell-bent in quest of the "Governor," bank robber and killer. The detailed descriptions are smoothly written to allow a comfortable fast read. Does Agent Miller get his man? Does he get his woman? Read this great story for the answers.
  • While You Were Dead
  • Never Back Down
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • The Bet
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • A Man Overboard
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Thriller #1)
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Thirst
  • Illegal
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #3)
  • Fancy Gap
  • Elly's Ghost
  • Top Ten
  •  Drop By Drop: A Thriller
  • Chill Run
Thriller writer living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There are a lot of writers from here, something in the water or the long, cold winters?

The Ninth District is my first book. I'm working on the second in the series and another stand alone book.

Douglas Dorow on Facebook

More about Douglas Dorow...