Start by marking “Where Secrets Lie” as Want to Read:
Where Secrets Lie

Where Secrets Lie

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Where Secrets Lie is a riveting exploration of one family's reliance on secrets, how those secrets affect their relationships and alter the directions their lives take, and where those secrets all began.

Sara and Katie's mother, Lee, spends her life deploying secrets in order to protect her loved ones not only from difficult truths, but also from the prejudices they elicit.
Published January 20th 2012 (first published October 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Where Secrets Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Secrets Lie

Jul 14, 2014 Jillyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women, LGBT
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads

Where Secrets Lie is a short but powerful novel that explores the fragile web of lies that families have tucked away, in order to retain a sense of normalcy. In this book we are introduced to three females- the mother and her two daughters- and each of the secrets that they keep. Lee, the mother, is the ringleader and champion secret keeper, who only wants what is best for her family. Sara, the eldest daughter, has been sabotaging her and her hu
I truly liked this book. It keeps you interested in the characters and their lives. The lesson to be learned from this story is that by hiding secrets from those we love we are robbing both them and yourself of what could be happiness. When we assume how people wil react to our secrets we really don't get to know their true feelings. After a person passes away, we go trough their belongings and wonder why they had certain things. Now we can never know the answer.

It is always best to just be your
Review first published on my blog:

Where Secrets Lie is the story of a family, the secrets they keep from each other, and the effects those secrets have on their relationships. There is Lee, who hides the reality of her feelings from her husband and her daughters. There is Sara, who keeps a part of her past from her husband to the point of lying to him. There is Katie, who hides a part of who she is from her mother for fear of losing her.

Many secrets stem
Where Secrets Lie compelled me because the whole idea that this book was centered around secrets was interesting. Secrets are a great topic I wish I understood more of. Why do people keep secrets? What distinguishes one secret from being kept to another one being revealed? What is the reasoning behind someone lying? What is their story/ background? This book is the very answer I've been waiting for. It shows a new approach to a family full of kept secrets and where these secrets were naturally d ...more
I received a free copy of this e-book in exchange for reading and reviewing it.

Donna Lanheady’s Where Secrets Lie has a title very indicative of the subject of the story – while the secrets may lie hidden, that doesn’t mean they’re going to stay buried.

The story centers on Lee and her two adult daughters, Sara and Katie, all of whom are keeping certain secrets from at least one of the others. Over time, the tension and guilt begin to affect all of them, particularly the girls, whose significant
Ezinwanyi~Boo boo kitty  (Oh My Shelves)
This book was a 3.5 star effort for me. I enjoyed this book.

In this book we were introduced to mother and two daughters in their present life. Lee and her two daughters, Sara and Katie, was preparing for was Lee’s 20th wedding anniversary to her second husband.
All three are nursing secrets that have impacted their lives and they are all at a cross-road romantically. The author gave us a glance into the past, in order to understand how each woman arrived to their present predicament.

The mother
Apr 05, 2012 Jayme rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I received this as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway novel.

Where Secrets Lie is a fiction novel by Donna Marie Lanheady about one family and the secrets that intertwine them together. The novel takes place over one day and each character has their own section or there is a break to bring them in, so it is never confusing, even when it also switches from past to present.

In this short, but thought provoking and powerful novel, we are introduced to three females. The mother Lee, and her two daught
Take any one person off the street and turn their life into a short story about the relationship they have with their family and something like Where Secrets Lie would probably come out. It is a very real story about the very real situation of having to make the choice to reveal or keep hidden a part of yourself that could have been shared with those who are closest to you, but for one reason or another has become the most difficult thing to even think of mentioning.

The story moves back and fort
John Wheatley

`Where Secrets Lie` tells the story of three women, two sisters and their mother, delving into key incidents from their past, crossing points which have defined their relationships with one another. Within the context of a loving and supportive family life, Donna Marie Lanheady explores the silences and secrecy, the inhibitions, the shadowy areas where communication is suppressed - and the way this affects their ability to relate to others, their partners.

The way the novel is structured, focusi
Michele Minor
This book is about a family and the secrets that they keep from each other. Sara’s marriage is in trouble because she is secretly taking her birth control pills even though her husband thinks that they are trying to get pregnant. Sara is hiding the secret of a pregnancy that her husband doesn’t know about even though her mother does know about it. Sara’s sister Katie is hiding the fact that her roommate is her girlfriend and that she is gay. Katie feels that her mother wouldn’t accept her if she ...more
Joan K
The book starts as a good story and then bang the story ends . There was no resolution to any of the plots in the book. It literally seemed as if only the introduction of the book was written. I don't think I have every had this happen before. There is usually an ending, sometimes not very good, but it there, but in this book there is no ending; just a beginning.
Deanna Lynn Sletten
Sep 10, 2012 Deanna Lynn Sletten rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love women's ficiton.
Recommended to Deanna by: Found on Goodreads.
"Where Secrets Lie" was an interesting story about family and the secrets family members keep from each other. The plot is realistic and the characters well-fleshed out. I enjoyed the book enough to not want to put it down in order to find out how each character resolved their issue. Although it is a good book, I felt that it was missing a complete ending. But even so, it is well worth your time to read this book. I look forward to reading more work by Donna Marie Lanheady.
We learn all about a Lee and her two daughters Sara and Katie and the secrets they keep in the hopes of keeping life simple and easy. The characters are well written and very likable as they struggle with the fears that the kept secrets will be found out and why they need to come out so that they can live happily in their lives. This was a very enjoyable story and the stiuations the characters found themselvs in was believable and rmade you empathize with them.
This was a great book in my opinion. I didn't want it to end. The ending kept you hanging so I hope there is a second book to this. I have never read anything by this author but I will definetely be looking for more of her books. It was a little confusing in the beginning because she kept going from the present to the past in each chapter as she explained the lives of the characters but once I figured that out it was a great read.
I enjoyed this book! I loved the switch from present to the past! When this mother of two was having her wedding vow renewal, questions started to pop up bewteen lee and her three girls. Lee was trying to keep her family together when a horrible acceident happened. Her questions got answered as her daughters where trying to find thier own in way in their mothers life.
Diann Creath
Every family has secrets...this book explores this family and the reasons for some are good however it shows the possible outcome of these. Very interesting and written to hold interest. I would recommend it.
A different style, but fair easy to read. Psychological interplay of characters. The dynamics
of relationships written as a novel. Worth a read.
Jeanette Adams
Jeanette Adams marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Beth Sims
Beth Sims marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Paula marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Jo-ann marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Sharon Piper
Sharon Piper marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
c bennett
c bennett marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Kelley Crabtree
Kelley Crabtree marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Rossi marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • Final Mercy
  • Dosed: The Medication Generation Grows Up
  • Betty & Veronica
  • Chattanooga
  • Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)
  • Memories
  • Coming About
  • Cloudland
  • Speculation
  • Three Steps to Heaven (The Raiders, #1)
  • Forgotten Treasures: 25 Short Fiction Tales
  • Always You
  • Not To Us
  • Instruction Manual for Swallowing
  • Walking on Broken Glass
Although I live on the east coast now, I was born in a suburb of Denver, moved near Boulder as a teenager, and lived in the Boulder area for much of my adult life, which is why I chose Colorado as the setting for my novels.

Books captivated me at a very young age. All those years and all those books inspired me to become a writer. The journeys the books took me on enthralled me. Their ability to ma
More about Donna Marie Lanheady...