Start by marking “Splitting Adam” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Ever wonder what would happen if Frank Capra had directed Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? Find out in Splitting Adam! After a soul-crushing thirtieth birthday party, Pastor Adam Tyler, the hopelessly single son of a single mom, is given a chance to see what the world would be like without him. But surprisingly, rather than just an Adam-less world, he finds instead that he has been ...more
Paperback/Kindle, 312 pages
Published December 22nd 2011 (first published December 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Splitting Adam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Splitting Adam

Jennifer C.
Apr 23, 2012 Jennifer C. rated it really liked it
Adam is visited by an angel sent by his dead mother when life seems to be its worst. In this It's a Wonderful Life-esque tale, Adam wants to know what the world would be like if his mother and father did not have the one night stand that created him. He assumes that he would not be part of the world, but instead a reality exists where there are two half Adams. His mother and father both have children with other people and each child has half of Adam's DNA. Adam follows both half selves around to ...more
Kelly
Mar 15, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
"Splitting Adam" started off with what I thought was a very interesting premise--if you weren't born, what would happen to the two parts that didn't become you? Did they become other people? Intriguing premise, beautifully executed.

Ford's writing is easy. He proposes interesting concepts and ideas as to how faith and God work in very accessible ways, within the context of the story without being preachy.

But honestly, he had me from the very beginning. The prologue begins with a sort of surpris
Quiana
Apr 18, 2012 Quiana rated it really liked it
I had no idea what to expect when I signed up to read and review Splitting Adam by John R. Ford. I was looking forward to reading something a little different than what I normally read. I’m happy that I took a chance on this book, because I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Splitting Adam tells the story of a recently turned thirty year old Pastor Adam Tyler of Riverside Christian Fellowship. Adam has no wife, no children, barely any friends, his mother’s dead, and he’s never met his father
Laura Thomas
Feb 20, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pastor Adam Tyler is unhappy. In steps Anthony. He says he is an angel but Adam is skeptical. When Anthony asks what would convince him, he wished to see what life would be like if he had never been born.
I don't want to spoil this for the readers. I will just say that John Ford Jr. took an original idea and put his own unique spin on it.
As the story evolved, I felt a genuine connection to the characters, past and present. The flashbacks were perfectly placed to allow the scenes to flow effor
Virginia Ripple
Mar 29, 2012 Virginia Ripple rated it it was amazing
The Good...

The best thing about Splitting Adam was the humor, which turns what otherwise could have been a heavy-handed drama into a wondrous experience we share with Adam.

In some ways the guardian angel, who just happens to sound like a native from Philly, reminded me of the ghosts of Christmas Past and Present in the Bill Murray comedy Scrooged. It didn't hurt that by the end of the book the angel was looking up information on his new iHeaven.

Ford's explanations for questions many of us have o
Marina Fontaine
Feb 24, 2012 Marina Fontaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I love the balance this book manages to achieve. Decidedly post-modern without being cynical, humorous without trying to be clever, tear-jerking without being manipulative, earnestly Christian without heavy-handed preaching. The plot is simple and fast paced, the characters interesting if somewhat predictable. I won't give away any more of the plot as the synopsis gives a pretty good idea and the rest has to be discovered by the reader. There are a couple of truly fascinating ideas about fate an ...more
Stephanie
Jul 05, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy-sci-fi
In the interest of full disclosure, I know the author of this book just a little (like, only on the internet). But by the same token, I think this book was good for all the fair reasons I would have if I didn't know him.

The characters are very well drawn, and now that I'm thinking back, I'm a little surprised at how many there were -- normally a larger cast would confuse me more than once, but this one didn't. I think that's mainly because of the very telling details we get throughout. The two h
Andrew Mellusco
Apr 30, 2012 Andrew Mellusco rated it it was amazing
So that's where my socks go...

I'm usually a fan of darker esoteric reads when it comes to Angels, but that didn't stop me enjoying J.R.Fords excellent take on alternate realities. So, the story:
Doubting cleric shepherding oldies and goldies is visited by an Angel and asks the eternal question; what if I had never been born. What follows is a marvellous romp through a reality in which Adam's genes have off-sprung two new Adams, one a big shot, one an apparent down and out chancer, each possessin
Heather Boustead
By John R. Ford

Adam Tyler is restless he was called to be a pastor but for some reason he never feels fulfilled on his thirtieth birthday he is visited by an angel sent from his mother. When the angel asks him what he wants Adam pulls an “It’s a Wonderful Life” moment and wishes he had never been born but what he doesn’t realize is that even if he had never been born his mother and father would have still procreated only with other people causing there to be two half selves of Adam
Kayden Lee
Apr 30, 2012 Kayden Lee rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book comes along that really surprises you - Splitting Adam was one of those books for me. Not because I was expecting anything less than a good read, but because this book is out of my preferred genre, and I wondered if it would keep my attention – it did.
Starting with the title and ending with the last sentence of the book, John R. Ford did a great job putting a new spin on an old story. The well-developed characters are interesting and personable, with a down to earth humor that k
Ryan Sand
May 01, 2012 Ryan Sand rated it really liked it
The author took an age old question, "What would the world be like if I didn't exist?" However, he added an interesting twist of having two halves existing instead of the one whole, thus forming a new paradigm where each half is at polar opposites of each other.

I viewed this as a standard paradigm of your clergyman...walk the path of the righteous but the Pastor's thoughts and feelings were very "normal" human. Though he served God, he was not bound by the strict observances of the priesthood.
Maryann
May 01, 2012 Maryann rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A great, cute read. Pastor Adam is unhappy with his life so on his 30th birthday he gets a visit from an angel and wants to see life as if he was never born, a la It's a Wonderful Life! Like George Bailey had Clarence, Adam also has a quirky, Philly-accented angel to guide him, however, Adam's story & experience is a bit different than George's. Adam's parents still procreate, just not with each other and he ends up watching his two half-selves and the drama they create! Will Adam find a way ...more
Elaine Cristina Oliveira
Jan 23, 2013 Elaine Cristina Oliveira rated it did not like it
It was nothing like I expected it to be.

This is simply a new shot on the old premise of a tormented soul being shown by a celestial entity ld have how things would have turned out without them in the picture. A little A Christmas Carol meeting Heaven Can Wait.

The plot development requires the reader to have a sappy or christian nature in order to enjoy it.
I have neither.
Heather
Apr 26, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a unique perspective of a man unhappy with his life. Adam is shown what would have happened if he was not born, but instead two version of himself exist. Adam watches these versions of himself over the next few months identifying with both halves.

This book was a really good read. I liked the perspective and enjoyed it. I too did not know this was Christian fiction. The life lessons learned were well done and not overly thrown at the reader.

Now I wonder what t
Mj Reads
Jun 23, 2012 Mj Reads rated it really liked it
John R. Ford did a great job with Splitting Adam. I truly enjoyed reading this book. It was a quick read, which I liked, and kept my attention throughout the entire story. (which is not always easy to do.) I found the concept intriguing and the characters believable. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for something a little different.
Leah
Apr 24, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book! It was interesting and witty, and now I'm wondering what my "half selves" would be like. :)
melissa lingle
melissa lingle rated it did not like it
Sep 28, 2015
Liz Shaw
Liz Shaw marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Caleb Lang
Caleb Lang marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Bunni
Bunni marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Gracie
Gracie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Katie added it
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Looking for some reviewers... 12 50 Feb 29, 2012 06:56AM
Creative Reviews: Looking for reviews for fantasy/scifi/paranormal story 1 15 Feb 09, 2012 01:12PM