Start by marking “Stewart Lee!: The 'If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One' EP” as Want to Read:
Stewart Lee!: The 'If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One' EP

Stewart Lee!: The 'If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One' EP

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  513 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews

Following his hugely acclaimed TV come-back Comedy Vehicle, Lee finds himself in search of ideas for a new Edinburgh show. On a long walk across London, he endures a coffee shop humiliation involving a loyalty card which suggests itself as a framing device. Later that month, thanks to Jeremy Clarkson's casual slur against Gordon Brown and the appearance of a well-meaning y

Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stewart Lee!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stewart Lee!

Edmole
Jan 09, 2012 Edmole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to see Stewart Lee do the show after this, where he stretched out one or two ideas into interminable self referential jokes for his own amusement, like on this one, which I also saw. Anyway, at that show, there was a lot of people - myself included - who wanted to be the Best Stew Fan in the room. I did it by laughing about 4/10s of a second before less clued up people did, but I think some people were a tenth ahead of me, but what could I do? I suppose I could have gone to see the show a ...more
Warwick
Jul 17, 2014 Warwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripts, comedy
This book is the EP to the album that was How I Escaped My Certain Fate, and contains the transcript to Stew's 2010 show If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One. Not living in the UK any more, these books are the nearest I get to still watching live stand-up. Fortunately I am one of the Guardian-reading minority that thinks Stew is a meta-comedian of genius, as opposed to most people who seem to find him (to quote some of the critiques he's gathered on his website) ‘a sneering tosser ...more
Rod Begbie
Jan 13, 2012 Rod Begbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This is one of the best things I've read in ages, but it's super-hard to recommend. It's a comedian transcribing, disassembling, explaining, and over-analyzing a 90 minute stand-up routine — one which is equally funny and beautiful, but just as hard to recommend to the uninitiated. (Or, let me be totally uncoy about this, most Americans)

But as an unabashed fan of Stewart Lee for years, and a fairly solid comedy nerd, this is one of the most glorious and enlightening things I've read.
Mike Steven
Nov 28, 2015 Mike Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of what I enjoy most about Stewart Lee ' s stand up, is when he deconstructs his own routines live on stage - essentially creating humour by explaining why something should be funny and how he is manipulating things to make people laugh. This book is a transcript of one of his stand up shows, accompanied with a large amount of footnotes talking about how and why the show is constructed in the way that it is.

I originally saw this show live , at Wolverhampton Civic Hall, and have seen the DVD
Tim Worthington
Oct 14, 2015 Tim Worthington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's been a depressing tendency in recent years towards replacing the traditional 'comedy cash-in' book with a straightforward script book, containing the lines as hear on screen or on stage with the odd perfunctory stage direction thrown in for good measure. Good for people looking for a quick and easy Christmas present for that difficult to buy for relative that they saw chuckle at something once, not so good for the person who's already seen or heard it all before and has no intention of a ...more
John Humber
Oct 30, 2014 John Humber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I sometimes vacillate between thinking Stewart Lee is the most brilliant stand-up artist that’s not been fully recognised and that he’s just crap. Either way I don’t really care because he never fails to amuse me. He’s never going to be a big, road-show stadium-filler; his type of intimate stand-up just would not work in an x-thousand seater stadium, but I would like to think that he could be acknowledged more than he is - at least enough to make a reasonable living for his family. And anyway he ...more
Daniel
Oct 21, 2014 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's essentially a transcript of a show, with annotations. There are some funny bits...
However it under-delivers on the promise that it 'confirms Stuart Lee as the most...brilliant comedian of his generation.' Toby Young, from BBC radio 4 is quoted on the back of the book as thinking that Lee's comedy does 'the opposite of what really good comedy should do.' And this is closer to the truth, but not fair. Well, he does go on about Michael MacIntyre just a little too much (gives away his true fee
BMK
Jul 02, 2012 BMK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like his previous book How I Escaped My Certain Fate that annotated 3 of his previous live shows, Stewart Lee!: The 'If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One' EP covers his live show from 2009 of the same name. I was lucky enough to see the show live twice and have since watched the DVD recording of the show several times, so this book is perfect for an obsessive like myself. It gives a thorough (and funny) insight into the background and context of how the show came together.
He, for
Rachel
Mar 02, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit that I am terribly biased when it comes to Stewart Lee because I loved him when I was a teenager and he was skinny and not old. Luckily for me, Lee is still incredibly funny (and admittedly, still adorably cute - though that's possibly not an adjective normally attributed to him).
This book is basically a transcript of his "If you prefer a milder comedian, please ask for one" show but with DVD extras (aka, the best footnotes of any author ever). It's probably not the thing if you're no
Darcy
Apr 30, 2016 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
Brilliant look at the working mind of one of my favourite comedians. It breaks down the humour behind his shows without spoiling the jokes themselves. Contains some of the longest footnotes I've ever encountered.
Paul Dore
Sep 07, 2015 Paul Dore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continues Lee's last book where he deconstructs his own performances. The author provides many insights into his craft and his humour. Made me appreciate his shows and comedy even more.
John
Feb 07, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading Stewart Lee's heavily-annotated stand-up. I like the way he writes, and the way he puts the whole thing together to create a structured routine that always makes an interesting point.

This is a follow up to the excellent "How I Escaped My Certain Fate" which I loved. Being based only on a single show, and containing little other than the transcript of the DVD version, it is very light. I read it in a couple of hours on a delayed Ryanair flight. This is a great environment for this
Merica
Jul 25, 2015 Merica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me want to watch the show again then reread the book on repeat. A great read and satisfying till the very last page.
Bob Cairns
Feb 07, 2014 Bob Cairns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you have any interest in the art of comedy then read this book.
Howard Jones
Mar 18, 2012 Howard Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's thin - it was a single train-ride to read - but very entertaining, assuming you like Lee's standup. It's basically a transcript of the DVD by the same name with copious (as in, 4 pages long, in one case) footnotes regarding the pacing, development and strategies behind the material. There's a bigger one in the same format, with 3 previous shows and an introduction/autobiographical section too, which I'm reading now.
Pierre
Nov 01, 2013 Pierre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a quick snack after the grand three-course meal of How I Escaped My Certain Fate, this was again a lovely insight into Lee's thought processes when both writing and performing his comedy. I'm a huge fan of his, and while it sometimes feels like he's hectoring me for liking more mainstream comedy, he is undeniably funny when you bother to pay attention to what he's saying. A day's read at most, but a good day.
Gordon
Aug 07, 2012 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, tee-hee
A follow up to 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate' which is where I would recommend anyone start. This is more of the same, although I do think the stand up show is funnier that the previous three (of the four shows covered by the two books, I do think they get slowly better and funnier, and having seen the next show live, it does continue the trend); I just hope he keeps doing this for his stand up shows.
Kate Fox
Apr 18, 2013 Kate Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just a book but a manifesto.
For an alternative way of doing comedy.
For an alternative way of thinking.
For an alternative way of making a living as a creative person in a mainstream world.
Has inspired many people I know who do just that.
Also a great, funny, well written read. A great example of how to explain the thinking behind a particular public persona.
Toby Litt
Sep 16, 2013 Toby Litt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as perceptive and funny as How I Escaped My Certain Fate. (You should probably read that first.) And the routine footnoted here is edgier and more theatrically daring. Let's hope Lee does get round to writing TV Comedian, his promised next book.
Kristin Arnorsdottir-edwards
Having only discovered Stewart Lee in recent years, due to my OH obsession with him, I found the insight into his way of thinking fascinating. I especially enjoyed the Michael McIntyre tirades - as I find M M grating and patronising...
Rob Adey
Jun 14, 2012 Rob Adey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
These books (it looks like he's going to keep on doing them) are perfect for Stewart Lee - basically extending the Penn & Teller-y unpacking of comedy he does in his shows off the stage and onto paper. Funny and fascinating.
Simon Sleightholm
Dec 11, 2012 Simon Sleightholm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A great supplement to How I Escaped My Certain fate. I find Lee hugely funny, and the apparent self-awareness with which he deconstructs and criticizes his own work is both intriguing and entertaining
Len
Dec 30, 2015 Len rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful follow-up to How I Escaped My Certain Fate. I admire Stew's ambition, technique and execution to perform bits that last for over 20 minutes. It's not jokes per se but I laughed.
Phil Millward
Although nice to understand the writing process and why things ended up int the routine that is transcribed, overall it would be much better to watch this and have a commentary track than read it.
Alex Sarll
A smart, funny read, obviously. But the whole 'EP' conceit rather founders on this slim volume only costing a quid less than the far more substantial 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate'.
Stella
Jan 29, 2012 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the transcriptfrom this show would have been enough, however the footnotes and added 'Warm Diarrhoea' make this read a little jewel of Stewart Lee perfection.
Grig O'
Mar 18, 2012 Grig O' rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual with EPs, it's what they call "only for completists". Except, if you're not a Stew completist, that's your problem.
Louise
Aug 24, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as great as the first one, I would really recommend it to everyone- especially Stewart Lee fans.
Marcell
Jun 06, 2012 Marcell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Less a Brechtian deconstruction: more an extension of Lee's comic persona-- nonetheless a must-read for fans.
Jon Bounds
May 21, 2012 Jon Bounds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More insight from Stew on society through the prism of a tubby man sweating on stage. Top.
  • Reasons To Be Cheerful
  • I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
  • Three Bits Of Fry And Laurie
  • With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
  • Peace Work  (War Memoirs, #7)
  • The Trials of Lenny Bruce: The Fall and Rise of An American Icon
  • The Essential Lenny Bruce
  • American Scream
  • The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World
  • Doing Battle: The Making of a Skeptic
  • The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts
From Wikipedia (accessed Oct 2010):

Stewart Lee (born 5 April 1968, Wellington, Shropshire) is an English stand-up comedian, writer and director known for being one half of the 1990s comedy duo Lee and Herring, and for co-writing and directing the critically-acclaimed and controversial stage show Jerry Springer - The Opera. In a review of the comedy of the previous decade, a 2009 article in The Ti
More about Stewart Lee...

“If you are a young comic reading  this and are worried that you have sold out, or may sell out at some point, DO IT! KILL YOURSELF NOW!” 0 likes