Start by marking “The Bridge ” as Want to Read:
The Bridge

The Bridge

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Published (first published November 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

Diane S.
3.5 A very poignant and heart warming story. The six yr. old blind boy almost broke mt heart. Very well written, based in something the author saw when she visited a Chinese orphanage and also serves as somewhat of an introduction to her book Silent Tears. Christmas season is a great time for reading this wonderful little book about love and hope.
Jen
Jul 27, 2013 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Wonderfully fulfilling story, really depressing afterword. This is a story based off of a true event, the author meeting a little blind boy in a play pen cage at a Chinese orphanage, because those at the orphanage couldn't take the time or have the skills, to deal with his disability. The story ends well, but you never know about that poor little blind boy, who was fostered out. And then that leads you to thinking about all of the OTHER children with disabilities who don't get the help they need ...more
Tara Chevrestt
This is a very moving and touching novelette. It spoke to me because I know what it feels like to be shunned by others, to be ostracized and ridiculed for having a disability. I felt for Fei Fei. His own mother abandoned him, and perhaps her intentions were good, to get him educated in a blind school, but still, unforgivable.

This takes place in China, not sure the era. An old woman who can barely feed herself, takes in a boy abandoned at the bridge. He's blind. She takes him to the orphanage and
Leah Good

Elderly Jing lives within sight of a bridge believed to be lucky. Because of it's reputation, mothers sometimes abandon their children on the bridge. Jing acts as self-appointed keeper of these children. She takes them in and brings them to the nearby orphanage. She knows the childrens' lives will be difficult, but at least they will have food and not be kidnapped and trained as beggars. As the Chinese New Year approaches, she finds another child. Five year old Fei Fei, a little boy bli
Barbara Ann
It’s Mother’s Day here in the United States. Whether you celebrate the holiday today or on another day on the calendar, this book expresses the true nature of motherhood.

The book is a short story of approximately seventy pages that will grip you on many levels. Ms. Bratt has spent five years in China and bases her writing experiences on the time she spent there and the love she acquired for the country’s people. She quickly and deftly paints the scene in Suzhou, China, 2010, portraying the old w
Chen
This is a cute little short (that is also free on Amazon.)
While I thought it was a touching story, worth reading, and while it's a good way to get some sort of minor understanding of how people in other places live, I had issues with the styling.

The jump between Chinese and English had a lot of potential of introducing us to foreign phrases, but instead it was just confusing and I kept feeling like I'm not getting all the info and missing some stuff from the original language.

and it's not just t
Judy King
This was a Amazon freebie short story/book. At only 80 pages, It's a quick read and a warm, satifying, well designed story with heart.
Laura Simmons
Wonderful little story, even though it's short you really get involved with the outcome of Jing, the compassionate old woman who helps abandoned children, and Fei Fei, the blind boy who she gets attached to. Not much else I can say about the story without giving it away but it really is sweet.

Did notice a small error in the Kindle version though, at one point two characters are watching the sun rise but on the next page it's described as a sunset (either an edit mistake or they were out watching
Betty
In present day China, an old woman's house sits opposite an ancient bridge. Not just any bridge--but a special one because it has always been known as The Lucky Bridge. In olden days it was said that to walk over it during a marriage ceremony, or at the beginning of the New Year would bring the traveler good luck. Because of its reputation, over the years it has also become a popular place for young mothers to abandon their children. What to some may seem cruel is in reality their final gift to ...more
Tiffany Lovering
LimerenceMag.com Review

The Bridge, by Kay Bratt, is an inspiring short story set in modern day China. Fei Fei is a young boy who was abandoned on The Lucky Bridge by his mother because he is blind. The old woman, Jing, who lives opposite the bridge, has been bringing all of the children left there to the orphanage. When she takes Fei Fei in, she suddenly realizes just how much this little boy has touched her heart and is determined to help him however she can.

The writing is absolutely flawless a
Michelle
I love this book!
The setting is in China. I do not know much about China and this book gave me a little inside information. At the end of the book, I find that the story is pretty much true. I also find that Kay Bratt has written a couple of other books, all about China.
I think most people are aware that China has a child limit policy. Couples are only allowed to have two children. At least I think this is how it used to be. As I said, I don't know much about China.
In the story, there is a
Heidi
A really cute story that takes place in a China. An elderly lady rescues children and babies that are abandoned on a bridge across from her home. One day she finds a blind boy, but cannot leave him at the orphanage due to neglect.
Even though the story is mostly fictional the author worked with a Chinese orphanage where she met a blind boy that is in this story. I will be looking at other books by this lady.
Norma Meligonis
This short story...approximately 70 pages...was an insightful look into the traditions of China and the children of the culture who for whatever reason are abandoned by their parents. The relationship between one young blind boy and his grandmotherly foster parent is very sweet. I had to refer back to the time setting to assure that it was set in modern times. a sweet and thought-provoking story.
Shari Larsen
Jing is an old woman, living in China across from an ancient bridge known as The Lucky Bridge. At one time it was considered good luck to walk over it during a marriage ceremony, or while traveling. Because of that reputation, it has also become a popular place for mothers to abandon their children, their only hope for them to find a new destiny and a better life. Jing steps in when no one else will to save the children from frostbite, abuse, and hunger and takes them to the safety of the orphan ...more
Gloria Johnson
A sweet story about a little blind Chinese boy abandoned by his mother who could not care for him at The Bridge. An elderly grandmother who finds abandoned children at The Bridge has previously taken these children to an orphanage, and she takes this little boy also. However, he steals her heart, and their lives change forever. I enjoyed this story, but prefer full-length novels.
Bluejay44
wonderful story by Kay Bratt. Like many others before him, a small child has been abandoned on the bridge. Rescued by an old lady who intends to simply hand him in at the local orphange, her life is changed as well as his and also her daughter's when she comes to visit at New Year. Heart warming as well as thought provoking.
Jo Reason
This is the first book I have read by Kay and I am already looking for more. Gosh what a heart wrenching book, brought tears of sadness and joy, this is a short story, easily read in one sitting, with only a few characters, but were real and described in depth, and with some stunning descriptions about the few places visited in the book, I could almost visualise and smell it. It seemed incredibly real.
The story is good all the way through and written in the third person, it made me want to know
Mom
Apr 06, 2013 Mom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Short quick read - only 13 chapters. Jing was a very compassionate woman. She cared enough to get all the children that were left on the bridge to the orphanage. But this special boy, Fei Fei touched her heart since he was blind and she wanted a better place for him to be so she took him in. She did not hardly have the means to take in a child, but she the best she could for Fei Fei. I would not want to be blind, but it was interesting to read about how Fei Fei's sense of hearing was so strong. ...more
Lara
A very touching and moving story about an abandoned blind child in China. It's an emotional, short story but I found I could not put it down. I read it in about 2 hours. Well, written and extremely descriptive. I could picture every scene as it unfolded.
Toby
A beautiful novelette about the relationship that develops between an old Chinese woman and the abandoned blind boy she finds and tries to help. This is a simple and beautifully written tale of compassion, generosity, and the discovery of unexpected love.
Claire Cross
More proof that a book doesn't have to be a "Pillars of the Earth" epic to be a great story.
Inspired by true events; this is a sweet, heartfelt telling of how we're never too old to do the right thing and how its never too late to make a difference.
Trina Talma
I think I would have liked this better if it were novel-length; I wanted to see more to the story. It was engaging and had interesting characters but was over much too soon. The editing could have been better too; I noticed several grammatical errors while reading.
Brianna
Very short story. Took a couple hours to read at most. Very touching, very sentimental. As an educator, I would use this story for an English class and have them read it. The characters were good, but I almost wanted it to be longer, more in depth.
Julianne G Cockey
A Story to Remember

There are some books you will never forget, their stories tickling your thoughts at unexpected times. This short story will have a long lasting life in your memories. Excellent, don't pass it by.
Donna
What a charming short read. The first I have read by Kay Bratt, but it is only the beginning. This lady knows how to write.
I might add: it was free, and not a single error. What more could we ask for.
Carol Fitz
This is one of those stories that reinforces your belief in the goodness of humanity.

Set in present day China, an old woman named Jing, is the rescuer of children abandoned
by their parents at the bridge. Over the years, she has delivered many children to the
orphanage. When Jing finds a young blind boy named Fei Fei at the bridge, she brings him to the orphanage thinking he will attend the school for the blind and learn to become self-suffcient, but when she checks on Fei Fei,she finds him in the
Linda Bograd
Very touching story. I didn't want it to end.

I would like to find out how things turned out for Fei Fei and Qian. Jing was a very special lady.
Birgit
Hmmm, not a bad read, but I had the feeling this would have been a lovely story but was cut short, more like a summary of the story with the highlights published. Pity.
Adri
Very sweet story, that made me feel good and sad, all at the same time. So much suffering all around the world, and yet true goodness in unexpected places.
Shar
This book is so well deserving of 5 stars, its a very short story, far too short I want to know more about what happened to Fei Fei.

This is a story of an old lady who lives near a bridge in China which people believe is a lucky bridge and over the years she has found many babies and children abandoned by their parents who want them to go to better homes. One day she spots Fei Fei left on the bridge and although she resists the urge to help any more children she gives in and takes him into her ho
  • The Parrot Talks In Chocolate (The Life And Times Of A Hawaiian Tiki Bar)
  • Places I Never Planned
  • The Ming Storytellers
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Daughter of the Bamboo Forest
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • The Cat Manual
  • Taking Flight
  • From Ramen To Riches: Building Wealth In Your 20s, Or Spending, Saving, Investing And Managing Your Money To Get Rich Slowly, But Surely
  • Adventures of Cash Laramie and Gideon Miles
  • Cupcake
  • Foxy's Tale (Reluctant Vampire Series, #1)
  • The Midget's House
Kay Bratt is a child advocate and author who lived in China for almost five years and fell in love enough with the people to want to write about them forever. If you would like to read more about what started her career as an author, and also meet the children she knew and loved in China, read her poignant and best selling memoir titled Silent Tears: A Journey of Hope in a Chinese Orphanage.

From
More about Kay Bratt...
Silent Tears: A Journey of Hope in a Chinese Orphanage The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #1) Chasing China; A Daughter's Quest for Truth Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3) Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #2)