Start by marking “The Bridge ” as Want to Read:
The Bridge

The Bridge

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  913 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
In present day China, an old woman’s house sits opposite an ancient bridge. Not just any bridge—but a special one because it has always been known as The Lucky Bridge. In olden days it was said that to walk over it during a marriage ceremony, or at the beginning of the New Year would bring the traveler good luck. Because of its reputation, over the years it has also become ...more
Published (first published November 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

Diane S ☔
Dec 10, 2012 Diane S ☔ rated it liked it
3.5 A very poignant and heart warming story. The six yr. old blind boy almost broke mt heart. Very well written, based in something the author saw when she visited a Chinese orphanage and also serves as somewhat of an introduction to her book Silent Tears. Christmas season is a great time for reading this wonderful little book about love and hope.
Leah Good

Elderly Jing lives within sight of a bridge believed to be lucky. Because of it's reputation, mothers sometimes abandon their children on the bridge. Jing acts as self-appointed keeper of these children. She takes them in and brings them to the nearby orphanage. She knows the childrens' lives will be difficult, but at least they will have food and not be kidnapped and trained as beggars. As the Chinese New Year approaches, she finds another child. Five year old Fei Fei, a little boy bli
Jen
Jul 27, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Wonderfully fulfilling story, really depressing afterword. This is a story based off of a true event, the author meeting a little blind boy in a play pen cage at a Chinese orphanage, because those at the orphanage couldn't take the time or have the skills, to deal with his disability. The story ends well, but you never know about that poor little blind boy, who was fostered out. And then that leads you to thinking about all of the OTHER children with disabilities who don't get the help they need ...more
Tara Chevrestt
This is a very moving and touching novelette. It spoke to me because I know what it feels like to be shunned by others, to be ostracized and ridiculed for having a disability. I felt for Fei Fei. His own mother abandoned him, and perhaps her intentions were good, to get him educated in a blind school, but still, unforgivable.

This takes place in China, not sure the era. An old woman who can barely feed herself, takes in a boy abandoned at the bridge. He's blind. She takes him to the orphanage and
Deepak Sharma
May 19, 2015 Deepak Sharma rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, shorties, essay
This is a very sweet story of a Old woman and blind boy.

Old woman lives in a small town in china across a Bridge called the Lucky Bridge. Its a hard time in china with people struggling for money.
People leave unwanted kids on the bridge hoping some one adopts them.
The Old lady takes the kids and delivers them to orphange.

One day she finds a Blind boy struggling on the bridge, she takes him home and takes him to orphonage the next day.
After a week she finds the kid is not happy and brings the kid
Nikki
While I enjoyed the subject matter, I found the writing itself to be distracting. There was no natural flow to the story causing the story to feel a bit forced. The inclusion of Chinese words felt a bit awkwardly handled as the author would use them and then convey their meaning with very dry responses including the meaning. The author also put in little tidbits about modern-day China that felt out of place and like a lesson rather than a smooth inclusion. (Also, such information was fairly comm ...more
Hope
Apr 20, 2015 Hope rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading
I appreciate Kay Bratt's love for China and her advocacy for needy children. I picked up the book since I, too, love China. I enjoyed her use of the Chinese language throughout the story.

The story: An elderly Chinese woman lives near a bridge where children are regularly abandoned. She takes them to safety in a nearby orphanage. One blind boy captures her heart.

As an English teacher I was surprised at the grammatical errors and mediocre writing. Don't books have editors anymore? Also the ending
Becky
Jan 30, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Lovely tale

I love to read stories of China. I like to hear about the old ways and how they live/lived.
Kay Bratt has extensive first hand knowledge of this and has written many wonderful books including The Scavengers Daughters series, which I gobbled up and desperately hope for more!

This short story is heartfelt, about an old woman who discovers an abandoned 5 year old blind boy. He tugs at her heart as she drops him at the orphanage only to discover he is neglected there. She is surprised to le
Barbara Ann
May 11, 2014 Barbara Ann rated it it was amazing
It’s Mother’s Day here in the United States. Whether you celebrate the holiday today or on another day on the calendar, this book expresses the true nature of motherhood.

The book is a short story of approximately seventy pages that will grip you on many levels. Ms. Bratt has spent five years in China and bases her writing experiences on the time she spent there and the love she acquired for the country’s people. She quickly and deftly paints the scene in Suzhou, China, 2010, portraying the old w
Mary
Feb 10, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, story, short, orphan
short story
In present day China, an old womans house sits opposite an ancient bridge. Not just any bridgebut a special one because it has always been known as The Lucky Bridge. In olden days it was said that to walk over it during a marriage ceremony, or at the beginning of the New Year would bring the traveler good luck. Because of its reputation, over the years it has also become a popular place for young mothers to abandon their children. What to some may seem cruel is in reality their final
Chen
Jun 25, 2014 Chen rated it liked it
This is a cute little short (that is also free on Amazon.)
While I thought it was a touching story, worth reading, and while it's a good way to get some sort of minor understanding of how people in other places live, I had issues with the styling.

The jump between Chinese and English had a lot of potential of introducing us to foreign phrases, but instead it was just confusing and I kept feeling like I'm not getting all the info and missing some stuff from the original language.

and it's not just t
Judy King
Sep 26, 2013 Judy King rated it it was amazing
This was a Amazon freebie short story/book. At only 80 pages, It's a quick read and a warm, satifying, well designed story with heart.
Thomas Do
Dec 17, 2015 Thomas Do rated it really liked it
I liked this book even more than the other books read this year. It is because I dive into life experience that can happen to anyone, especially people with disabilities. Culture is another factor. This was based on a Chinese culture. During those times, there were poor areas.
The ending was fascinating because the boy knows how to play with his friends. This was after the few years he was totally disabled, and got trained. The young boy knew many things how to be strong and independent. Althoug
Aparajita Raychaudhury
I chose this book for a reading challenge where the prompt was 'Read a book based entirely on it's cover'. It has a beautiful cover which called out to me the moment I laid eyes upon it while searching for another book (which had Bridge in it's name).

This is a feel good heart-warming story about an abandoned blind boy. It's not very unrealistic, though it certainly required a certain suspension of disbelief (I'm a cynic in some ways, so ...) The book is very short and was a quick read. Not disap
Tricia
Jan 01, 2015 Tricia rated it liked it
A short but touching story.

Two things that bothered me:
- the beginning especially felt kind of preachy. It was clear the author was trying to convey her attitudes about political/social issues in China. She makes valid points but it felt forced.
- the explanations from Jing to Fei Fei about what they were doing to prepare for Chinese New Year: wouldn't he already know those things, or are the traditions different in the countryside? Because of that disconnect it again felt forced (even though e
Betsy
Apr 23, 2015 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable tale an old woman who lives by a bridge that too many use to abandon their unwanted children. The old women has tirelessly taken them to the orphanage year after year after year. This last child however she can't get out of her mind. She goes back to check on him but she cannot believe how they have treated this young blind boy. She insists he come back home with her and she becomes fei fei's foster parent helping him learn to do many things he has never done before. Great book. ...more
Betty
Jan 29, 2012 Betty rated it liked it
In present day China, an old woman's house sits opposite an ancient bridge. Not just any bridge--but a special one because it has always been known as The Lucky Bridge. In olden days it was said that to walk over it during a marriage ceremony, or at the beginning of the New Year would bring the traveler good luck. Because of its reputation, over the years it has also become a popular place for young mothers to abandon their children. What to some may seem cruel is in reality their final gift to ...more
Tiffany Lovering
Apr 08, 2012 Tiffany Lovering rated it liked it
LimerenceMag.com Review

The Bridge, by Kay Bratt, is an inspiring short story set in modern day China. Fei Fei is a young boy who was abandoned on The Lucky Bridge by his mother because he is blind. The old woman, Jing, who lives opposite the bridge, has been bringing all of the children left there to the orphanage. When she takes Fei Fei in, she suddenly realizes just how much this little boy has touched her heart and is determined to help him however she can.

The writing is absolutely flawless a
Michelle
Jan 25, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
The setting is in China. I do not know much about China and this book gave me a little inside information. At the end of the book, I find that the story is pretty much true. I also find that Kay Bratt has written a couple of other books, all about China.
I think most people are aware that China has a child limit policy. Couples are only allowed to have two children. At least I think this is how it used to be. As I said, I don't know much about China.
In the story, there is a
Heidi
May 26, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
A really cute story that takes place in a China. An elderly lady rescues children and babies that are abandoned on a bridge across from her home. One day she finds a blind boy, but cannot leave him at the orphanage due to neglect.
Even though the story is mostly fictional the author worked with a Chinese orphanage where she met a blind boy that is in this story. I will be looking at other books by this lady.
Norma
May 24, 2014 Norma rated it really liked it
This short story...approximately 70 pages...was an insightful look into the traditions of China and the children of the culture who for whatever reason are abandoned by their parents. The relationship between one young blind boy and his grandmotherly foster parent is very sweet. I had to refer back to the time setting to assure that it was set in modern times. a sweet and thought-provoking story.
Shari Larsen
Jan 21, 2012 Shari Larsen rated it really liked it
Jing is an old woman, living in China across from an ancient bridge known as The Lucky Bridge. At one time it was considered good luck to walk over it during a marriage ceremony, or while traveling. Because of that reputation, it has also become a popular place for mothers to abandon their children, their only hope for them to find a new destiny and a better life. Jing steps in when no one else will to save the children from frostbite, abuse, and hunger and takes them to the safety of the orphan ...more
Gloria Johnson
Aug 19, 2014 Gloria Johnson rated it liked it
A sweet story about a little blind Chinese boy abandoned by his mother who could not care for him at The Bridge. An elderly grandmother who finds abandoned children at The Bridge has previously taken these children to an orphanage, and she takes this little boy also. However, he steals her heart, and their lives change forever. I enjoyed this story, but prefer full-length novels.
Leslie Fisher
I loved this book. I can't wait to read more by this author. This story was so beautiful. An old woman rescues children left at a bridge near her home and brings them to the orphanage so they will have the chance to be provided for and adopted. One day she rescues a blind child, and her life changes. Such a beautiful story of love and care, full of hope.
Teresa Uzzle
Jan 24, 2016 Teresa Uzzle rated it it was amazing
A poignant story about an abandoned child and the old woman who lived at the bridge.

This is a sweet story of the relationship between a young, blind child who was abandoned on The Bridge by his mother and the old woman who lived at the end of the bridge. Unable to get the child out of her mind she returned t o the orphanage where she left him and brought him to live with her. Then wonderful things began to happen to him. A touching story of how the old woman challenged him to learn and to become
Bluejay44
Apr 18, 2014 Bluejay44 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
wonderful story by Kay Bratt. Like many others before him, a small child has been abandoned on the bridge. Rescued by an old lady who intends to simply hand him in at the local orphange, her life is changed as well as his and also her daughter's when she comes to visit at New Year. Heart warming as well as thought provoking.
Jo Reason
Jul 19, 2013 Jo Reason rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Kay and I am already looking for more. Gosh what a heart wrenching book, brought tears of sadness and joy, this is a short story, easily read in one sitting, with only a few characters, but were real and described in depth, and with some stunning descriptions about the few places visited in the book, I could almost visualise and smell it. It seemed incredibly real.
The story is good all the way through and written in the third person, it made me want to know
Mom
Apr 06, 2013 Mom rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Short quick read - only 13 chapters. Jing was a very compassionate woman. She cared enough to get all the children that were left on the bridge to the orphanage. But this special boy, Fei Fei touched her heart since he was blind and she wanted a better place for him to be so she took him in. She did not hardly have the means to take in a child, but she the best she could for Fei Fei. I would not want to be blind, but it was interesting to read about how Fei Fei's sense of hearing was so strong. ...more
Lara
May 22, 2014 Lara rated it really liked it
A very touching and moving story about an abandoned blind child in China. It's an emotional, short story but I found I could not put it down. I read it in about 2 hours. Well, written and extremely descriptive. I could picture every scene as it unfolded.
Toby
May 10, 2014 Toby rated it really liked it
A beautiful novelette about the relationship that develops between an old Chinese woman and the abandoned blind boy she finds and tries to help. This is a simple and beautifully written tale of compassion, generosity, and the discovery of unexpected love.
Around the Year i...: The Bridge, by Kay Bratt 1 11 Jan 18, 2016 02:01PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Bridge - March Mini challenge 1 2 Mar 06, 2012 07:02AM
  • Transfection
  • The Leopard Tree
  • Highland Muse (Song of the Muses, #2)
  • The Accidental Anarchist: From the Diaries of Jacob Marateck
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • Foxy's Tale (Reluctant Vampire Series, #1)
  • Accomplished in Murder
  • The Blasphemer
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Adventures of Cash Laramie and Gideon Miles (Cash Laramie & Gideon Miles, #1)
  • Unto These Hills
  • The Storm Glass
  • Remembering Judith
  • Sudden Deception (A Jill Oliver Thriller)
  • Cupcake
  • Veronica's Nap
  • Journey Across the Four Seas: A Chinese Woman's Search for Home (American)
Kay Bratt is a child advocate and author who lived in China for almost five years and fell in love enough with the people to want to write about them forever. She is best known for her poignant and best selling memoir titled Silent Tears: A Journey of Hope in a Chinese Orphanage.

From Kay: To be notified when new books are released, please sign up for my monthly email newsletter at www.kaybratt.co
More about Kay Bratt...