Start by marking “Matagorda” as Want to Read:
Matagorda

Matagorda

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  857 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Tap Duvarney lost his innocence in the War Between the States and then put his skills to the test as a soldier in the frontier army. Now he has settled on the Texas coast, working a ranch as the partner of his old friend Tom Kittery–and finding himself in the middle of a feud between Kittery and the neighboring Munson family. Around Matagorda Island, most people are either ...more
Published February 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Matagorda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matagorda

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
493rd out of 701 books — 937 voters

More lists with this book...

Henry Avila
Former Army Major, Tappan Duvarney, veteran of the Civil War,(the War between the States) and the Indian fighting , is tired.All he wants of life ,is a little money.So he can marry his fiancee, Jessica Trescott.Finally receiving just $ 7,000 of his wealthy, ship owning father's estate ,in Virginia.His family mansion was burnt and their ships, destroyed.They were Union supporters ,from the South!Unwisely investing with an old friend, Tom Kittery,( the cattle business) in Texas.Tappan, doesn't kno ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Dec 21, 2011 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
A nice solid L'Amour western...nothing better on a cold winter's day with your feet up by the fireplace and an old dog laying on the rug by your feet. That sounds nice to me but I actually read most of this one while on my lunch break, sitting in my car, shivering a bit in the cold weather while my nearly frozen fingers attempted to turn the pages. Yes, I love to read that much.

I'll rank this one among the top 20 of all of the Louis L'Amour westerns I've read...somewhere around 85-90 so far. A g
Sep 06, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it
When so many people like an author it seems worthwhile to read something by him/her just to figure out what its all about. Well, that's what I'm doing. Not very impressive, not terribley bad either. Kind of amusing stereotypes. Now I know what men's daydreams are made of. (Or some of them).
Alyx Tschirhart
Nov 30, 2015 Alyx Tschirhart rated it really liked it
Good read. Just wish it was 50+ pages longer. I felt like the plot was in building mode for so long and then all of a sudden there was the climax and a very steep descent to the end.
This left me with many questions. And if not another 50 or so pages, how about a sequel??

But as always any Louis L'Amour story that combines good characters and the cattle business keeps me pretty entertained.
Carol and Gary Curtis
Nice change of pace. A western with a cattle drive and a hurricane. There was western action, a bit of misdirected romance plus all the usual cowboy stuff. How Tom could forgive his fiancé and help her start over in the."city" I do not understand but that's a minor point. A good read in the traditional sense, worth the time.
Rick Bavera
Jul 28, 2014 Rick Bavera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
As much as I hate to admit it, I sort of enjoyed this book. Westerns really aren't my favorite type of story/book/movie, but I read this book and came to wonder just what was going to happen next.

Lots of cattle, and horses, and bad guys shooting and getting shot. The good guys won in the end.

Isaac Yeates
Oct 12, 2015 Isaac Yeates rated it it was amazing
This historical fiction was AWESOME! I have never read a Louis L'Amour book I didn't like and this was no different. I would read it again any day. There just my favorite books in my favorite genre. If you have any interest at all in cowboys, the wild west, history, or even action and excitement, I recommend reading this. Only good things to say about this.
Greg
May 30, 2011 Greg rated it liked it
Having recently mustered out of the post-Civil War indian fighting military, Tappan Duvarney heads to Matagorda island in Texas where he has invested most of his savings in a cattle herd held by Tom Kittery. Unbeknownst to him, he will find not only cattle a herd scattered far and wide, but also a bitter and furious feud between the Kitterys and the Munsons. Plus, a hurricane is on the way (one which has a basis in historical fact). Louis L'Amour is enjoyable as always. Matagorda is light readin ...more
Bevin
A good book, but lacking the amount of energy usually found in L'Amour's work. Worth reading, but not a favorite.
Ron
Jan 13, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite so far out of the 50+ novels that I have read of his.
Sophia
Jan 11, 2015 Sophia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining but very cheesy. The ending made my eyes roll so hard I thought I would give myself a stroke.
Chad
Feb 02, 2011 Chad rated it really liked it
I started this last night (3/20/2010) and slowly covered the 14 pages of chapter one. I read slowly anyway, but I take my time with Louis - trying to see the picture exactly as he paints it.

Louis will always be my favorite author and so far, Matagorda is pure Louis L'Amour. Vivid characterizations and rich environments take me away from my day-to-day grind and deliver me to another time and place. What more can a reader request?
Peter Charleston
Mar 29, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it
Interesting tale of what the old west might have been. Tappan Duvarney invests his money on cattle located in Texas and heads that way to help move them to market. Turns out his partner, Tom Kittery, seems to be involved in an old feud and the cattle are not yet ready for the drive. Toss in a little bad weather along with Tappan's fiancé arriving this proves to be an enjoyable reading adventure.
Alisha Kennedy
Aug 12, 2014 Alisha Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Awesome Frontier Story! I have never been big into the cowboy movies much less books; but L'amour won me.
Katie
I picked this up at a book sale since I'd never read L'Amour and I wanted to give it a try. The plot and the characters are predictable and campy, but gosh darnit I enjoyed it! My favorite part was the strong woman that just does whatever she wants to get her man. I guess it's just a function of being a child of the West, but I'll definitely be picking up some of the Sackett series soon.
Sara
Sep 16, 2007 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: louislamour
Would have given it more stars if there wasn't all that weird ancestry other world stuff. I mean yeah, I am a Christian so I believe in Heaven, but the 'other side' and the guy coming back as a really old man when he was only gone for like a day? Little too creepy.
Fredrick Danysh
Sep 03, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
A former Union officer returns to Texas help a friend and to buy a cattle herd but lands in the middle of a blood feud. A complicale things a hurricane is headed towaard Matagoda Island on the Texas coast. L'Amour maintains his high standartds with this one.
Jaclyn
Jul 06, 2009 Jaclyn rated it it was ok
I have listened to a few Louis L'Amour books while on long car rides with Nate. He is a western writer, or was in the 60's. I actually enjoy his writing so I though I would attempt to read one his books. I like it so far.
Frode
Jul 07, 2011 Frode rated it liked it
Typical L'Amour - good guy wins but has no character development, predictable gunfight or slugfest at the end. I liked it, however, and continue to reread LL's books from time to time.
Aaron Matthews
Oct 24, 2013 Aaron Matthews rated it really liked it
Fun little book that works well into the genra. The hero is a little over the top, but likable. A good read when you need to scratch your need to be a cowman for a bit.
Debra
Aug 13, 2012 Debra rated it liked it
I re-read this after attending a workshop about the hurricane that wiped out Indianola--and it's another guilty pleasure of mine--I really like reading westerns.
Rita
Oct 06, 2011 Rita rated it did not like it
1958. Slightly interesting to learn a little about the south Texas coast and cattle herding/driving [to Kansas:]. The characters seem quite unbelievable, so much cliche.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: western
Conflicted hero, reluctant fighter, and I'm sure there's a girl in there somewhere. L.L. has gotten me through many a plane ride.
Wesley
Sep 07, 2012 Wesley rated it liked it
Louis L'Amour is like the Tolkien of the western novel. He has a fascinating talent for detailing the environment of a story.
Alexander
Mar 22, 2011 Alexander rated it really liked it
Interesting! How does Duvarney feel about Kittery. The whole group he thought killed Tom.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Dec 11, 2011 JoAnn Ainsworth rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. Too much backstory slows it in spots, but not for long.
Partridge Public
Oct 05, 2012 Larry Holshu rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
:o)
  • Desert Gold
  • Death Rides a Chestnut Mare (Danny Duggin, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The War Chief
  • Mississippi! (Wagons West, #15)
  • Forty Lashes Less One
  • The Devil's Badland (The Loner, #2)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...