Sign of Chaos (Amber Chronicles, #8)

Sign of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #8)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  5,190 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Sign of Chaos is the eighth book of The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

Narrator Wil Wheaton, who won the 2012 Audie Award for his engaging performance of Fuzzy N...more
Published January 1st 1987 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Sign of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sign of Chaos

Dan Schwent
Merlin continues on his quest to find out who has been trying to kill him for years and why. Along the way, we find out more of his backstory, in particular the bits involving his half brothers Jurt and Mandor. More illegitimate spawn of the Amber family pop up, as does Merlin's mysterious body-swapping aide. What do all of these things have to do with the Keep of Four Worlds?

I'm over halfway through the second Chronicle of Amber and I have to say I'm not as captivated by it as I was the first f...more
Ken
Sign of Chaos marks return to form for Zelazny and his Chronicles of Amber. Anyone who has come this far in the series (this is the eighth book) hardly needs a glowing review to continue reading, but after the somewhat tedious book that preceded it, this one is a welcome improvement.
Michael
The story of Merlin, son of Corwin from the first 5 Amber novels, continues. I really should just cut-and-paste one of my three previous reviews of the Amber novels here and be done with it. Most characters carry over from the previous novel and that left me completely baffled at the end of this one. I'll try not to give away any spoilers, but stop now if you don't want to hear anything. At the end there is a huge climatic scene where a certain individual's identity is revealed. The character sa...more
Alex Hurst
The Sign of Chaos, the third book in the Cycle of Merlin, and the eighth of ten on the Book of Amber, begins with Merle trapped in a Wonderland Bar with Luke (Rinaldo), the Cheshire Cat, Humpty Dumpty, and a very pissed off Fire Angel from Chaos. Discovering his predicament to be the result of a drugs Luke has been exposed to, Merle conjures pharmaceuticals from the shadow and leaves him to sober up.

Defeating the angel is no easy feat, the creature being conjured from Chaos and having three hear...more
Cathy
Interesting ending. Not entirely unexpected but the timing and method was a surprise. I also enjoy that the reader never really knows who the good guys and bad guys are with these books, there is always doubt and suspense.
Charles
This book is where the 2nd Amber series begins to pick up steam and starts to carry the reader along on the ride, after the first two books tended to plod a bit.
Chris
This is where the Merlin stories start to fizzle out, unfortunately.
William Gerke
Not as strong as it's predecessor, but still a cut above most current fantasy adventure. Why can't people write like this anymore? Lovely prose, stories that rocket along, mysteries, magic, adventure, and all under 300 pages. If Zelazny wrote this now, they would have published the whole series as one 1000 page book or a trilogy at least. The shorter format keeps things tight, events swarm on events, and economy (and beauty) of prose is the watchword.

Two excellent sequences here--Luke and Dalt'...more
Bryan
Merlin is still a bit of a putz.

There were a number of times in this novel where I was thinking "No, you idiot, don't trust that person and tell them all your plans...oh, great, you already did it. And they took advantage of you. Way to go." But in a way, it's pretty cool that, despite the similarities due to the first-person narrative, Merlin is quite a different character than his father was/is(I'm convinced Corwin is still alive out there). He acts quite a bit differently, and reacts to thing...more
Gabriel C.
They just get worse and worse and worse. The only explanation I can come up with is that Zelazny fancied himself a storyteller rather than an author, so that it makes sense to:

-Introduce new major characters for no reason
-Slow down for stupid detail every single wrong time
-Make up stupid rationales for everything so that he can have stupid stuff happen the way he imagines it would be cool to have happen even though nothing makes sense
-Always have everyone refuse to explain to anyone else what is...more
Simon Vandereecken
Énormément de clins d'oeil dans ce tome et la saga reprends du poil de la bête, les personnages s'approfondissent tandis que l'on en découvre de nouveaux, l'univers d'ambre continue à s'étendre et à devenir de plus en plus intéressant alors que la fin de la saga se rapproche...
Felix

German edition - German review:

Der Roman beginnt mit einer Hommage an Lewis Carroll, in dessen Alice-Romanen Luke und Merlin zunächst gefangen sind, bevor es mit den Konflikten um den Hort der vier Welten, den rätselhaften Zauberer mit der Maske, Geistrad, Amber und die Höfe des Chaos weitergeht. Nach einigen diplomatischen Verwicklungen, in deren Verlauf neue Verwandte ins Spiel kommen, kommt es zum Kampf um den Hort der vier Welten und die Identität von Maske wird überraschend enthüllt...

Ein e...more
Petya
Голям майстор е Зелазни наистина! Бях си направила малка почивка, преди последните 3 книги от "Хрониките на Амбър", за да си удължа удоволствието. Започнах ги наскоро. "Знакът на Хаоса" е култова книга. В същото високо темпо, с много изненади и екшън. Трябва да си призная, че ми отне една цяла книга да харесам Мерлин като главен герой. Така бях свикнала с Коруин, че тази промяна отначало не ми беше по вкуса:))) Но сега вече, след тази книга, съм изцяло в тона на Мерлин и с нетърпение чакам да ви...more
Michael R.
A quick easy read. Lots of dialog (which I liked). Not a lot of pages.

The story starts off continuing with Merle trapped in an Alice In Wonderland setting, and leaves us in almost as confusing a setting, resolving very little in between.

More new threads/plots started, but no real answers. It's reminding me a lot of the middle seasons of 'Lost'.

Also now there are way too many characters to keep track of, and it's getting predicatable that everyone is related in one way or another, usually from so...more
Pyyric
gets even more nuts than #7, hang on to your frakir.
Alex
I read this book in practically one day. While not as good as the previous book, it's still pretty nice. I found myself starting each chapter hoping that Corwin would show up.

One thing I don't like is that all the characters are starting to be to powerful to my taste, compared to the first five books. Mandor is too powerful, I think. I love the interactions with Fiona and hearing about Corwin's pattern, and wish there were more of them.

The book ended with an unexpected revelation, and I can't...more
Adam Krajnik
the best from second chronicles so far
Wise_owl
Like the previous books in this serious I really enjoyed this book, and as it's more than half-way through the 'Merlin' cycle it was nice to see that all the things that had been layed out over the course of the previous two books, and this one, were coming to fruition. More involvement with the Courts of Chaos, a greater exploration of the Worlds of Shadows and a 'big reveal' at the end that actually was a 'Dun-dun-DUUUUN' moment. Not much more to say really, if you liked the previous ones, it'...more
Vira Motorko
Хочу побачити кіно =)
Josh

The tension is definitely mounting and a lot of interesting developments occurred in this one. The abridged version still suffered from the "help I'm lost" syndrome, requiring me to listen hard and go back sometimes. Some of the things that happened felt a bit cliche and/or over the top... But otherwise the intrigue is flowing heavily (this is like a fantasy soap opera at times) and we are building toward the inevitable climactic conflict between the protagonist and the bad guys...
Hien
Even though books 6-10 are lumped in as part of the Chronicles of Amber, I feel that it's really a second series. It's about Merlin (Corwin's son). Merlin is from Chaos due to his mother being from there. One of the things I didn't like about the second series is that lots of people can shadow walk. It used to be only the princes and princesses of Amber can do it. Now it seems like everybody can. It's not so special after all.
Fred D
Some say the second Amer Series focusing on Merlin was not as good as the original. I tend to disagree. I liked the second series for different reasons than the first. Corwin was more of a fighter, Merlin a magic-user. I enjoyed Zelazny's detailed descriptions of how Merlin cast spells. I enjoyed the humor in the second series more than in the first. Following the convoluted plot and intrigues and mystery was also very entertaining.
Patrick
Just like the novel before it, this one couldn't hold my attention. That may be because I somewhat rushed through the novel. However, I found it somewhat tedious and cumbersome. I was only entertained for about the first half of the novel. Wonderland was pretty fascinating. I will praise that I did enjoy the cliffhanger ending, but I'm not quite compelled to rush to the next book.
Shannon Appelcline
A big upswing from the previous Merlin book. There are lots more things revealed, but the revelation is much more exciting. Meanwhile we get great new characters (like Coral), great action, new mysteries, and lots of tension. Moreso than the previous two cliffhangers, the end of this book made me immediately want to continue on.
Ryan Adams
Part of series for friend.
Ashkhan
I wholeheartedly recommend all the books from the Amber Chronicles. Once you read the first novel you'll stop only after you'll have read them all. I've re-read this book and the whole series at least three-times. Even after all these years I still rate it as one of the best series I've ever read.
Brett
Finished "Sign of Chaos" by Roger Zelazny. This one took us from the White Rabbit and other acid-induced sights to the Keep of the Four Worlds. Of all the books, this seems the least complete. Interesting things happened, yes, but mostly seemed to be transitioning the story to move forward.
Greg Manuel
This was a really quick read. The front part flew by like the LSD hallucination that it was! It slowed down around three quarters through for about twenty pages then sprinter towards the end. A really good read. And the Mask is unmasked! Good stuff!
Dale Rosso
Another great entry in the Amber series.
Fantasy Book Club...: Sign of Chaos / Spoilers Ahead 6 13 Sep 22, 2013 05:48AM
Fantasy Book Club...: Sign of Chaos / Initial Impessions / *No Spoilers* 4 13 Sep 22, 2013 05:34AM
  • Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #3)
  • I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon
  • Press Enter
  • The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5)
  • The Dreaming Jewels
  • Shadow Games (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #4)
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • Madouc (Lyonesse, #3)
  • The Citadel of the Autarch (The Book of the New Sun #4)
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels d...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles, #1) The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos (Amber Chronicles, #5) The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)