Start by marking “Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson #2)” as Want to Read:
Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson #2)

Read Book

Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson Mystery #2)

Lights! Camera! Reed! That's right - Reed Ferguson, the intrepid hero of This Doesn't Happen In The Movies, is back. A mysterious death. A brother searching for the truth. A devious ex-wife. Real estate shenanigans. More danger for Reed than a film noir plot. Reed Ferguson's second adventure is again filled with film noir and a lot of humor. Along with the Goofball ...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Reel Estate Rip-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reel Estate Rip-Off

Kevin Mclauchlan
Jan 11, 2014 Kevin Mclauchlan rated it really liked it
I'm currently reading "The Maltese Felon", taking Pawlish's Reed Ferguson series in order, which means that I read "This Doesn't Happen in the Movies" and enjoyed it enough to read "Reel Estate Rip-Off", which I enjoyed enough to... well, you get the idea.

Pretty good.

Reed Ferguson is not quite Kinsey Millhone, yet, but he's growing. The tone is generally light (well, as light as a murder mystery can be) but Pawlish doesn't overdo it. It's not laugh-out-loud funny, in the manner of Janet Evanov
Laura Thomas
Jun 03, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing
Reed was ready to start the weekend. Hang with his buddies and relax.
His plans changed when Jack Healy introduced himself. He wanted to hire Reed to find his brother's killer or killers.
Reed's response is, "I'll take it."
There are the usual questions:
Why would anyone want to kill his brother?
Did he have any enemies?
What's up with the ex-wife?
Any trouble with the law?

The cast of characters:
The Goofball brothers Ace and Deuce. They are the comic relief and add seasoning and laughs to the story.
Cal
Kathleen Rowland
Aug 01, 2012 Kathleen Rowland rated it it was amazing
Reed Ferguson is an engaging amateur detective. Talented writer Renee Pawlish gives THE REEL ESTATE RIP-OFF a Hitchcock twist, making the reader think Reed might have something terrible up his sleeve. There were fascinating story threads, and Pawlish tied everything together with a great conclusion.

Janet C.
May 14, 2013 Janet C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
What a fun, relaxing, kick-back book to read! I love the way this author develops the characters and the story. Reed is on the trail again! A secret passage, movie memorabilia, and his friends (particularily the Goofball Brothers) make for a fun and zany read.
Maya Shenoi
Jul 17, 2015 Maya Shenoi rated it really liked it
just awesome.
Patricia Mccammon
Dec 04, 2016 Patricia Mccammon rated it liked it
Received this as a free book. Great series bringing in the movies of old tied in with a mystery in modern times.
Kristina Trawick
Fun reads

This series of books are fun to read. You get excitement, mystery, twists and great Hollywood trivia all rolled into complete packages.
Zachary
Nov 08, 2016 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reel Estate Rip-off

Being a big film noir buff and ( a bit to serious for my own good.") I read this book and was a bit put off the way she made fun of this era and these films. With that being said I downloaded her next book and I realized how stupid I was and how I needed to lighten up. Once I did that I'm hooked! It's like watching an old movie with humor. You cannot take these books seriously, for instance, how does the Goofball brothers pay their rent? Who cares? I'm always looking for infer
Byron Wells
May 25, 2012 Byron Wells rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Note: This review is my opinion, and it is skewed to my likes and preferences.

I have chosen to give this book a rating of (3.75 / 5) for a few reasons:

1. Personally I found the story a bit predictable – however, it was still entertaining to read since you didn’t have to follow a ton of convoluted threads…

2. I found it reminded of the old dime store detective novels, or the old detective movies - don’t get me wrong, some like that style of books or maybe that was the intent all along.

Characters -
Aaron Dubin
Nov 18, 2013 Aaron Dubin rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Reed Ferguson is one of the best characters I have come across is years. I am ranking him near Spenser, Mike Hammer & Kinsey Milhone. Which is saying a lot.

I did have some minor issues with characters. I almost cannot believe that "The Brothers" in 2013 in a major city can really be this dense and out of touch with basic American Life. One I could believe, but both, I am reaching there and it takes me out of the story some. I am also thinking it's about time t
Ben
Mar 15, 2016 Ben rated it liked it
"Reel Estate Rip Off" by Renee Pawlish is the second in her Reed Ferguson, private detective series.
If you are not a fan of the hard-boiled mystery genre, then the Reed Ferguson series is for you. In this book as in the first, you will find nothing objectionable, no sex and only a bit of not too violent violence.
MS. Pawlis's oeuvre, to use a fancy term beloved by movie critics everywhere, is that her hero is a film noir and lover of mystery movies from Hollywood's golden years of the 30's and 40
Bill
Aug 02, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing
Here’s a guy like you or me – a detective yet! – OK he’s had some experience detecting – or maybe he just got lucky – and now he’s been hired by a dead man’s brother to find out who killed him.

PROBLEM? The brother’s death was ruled accidental.

WHY? He was riding his bike along a scary mountain path – one of those with a sheer cliff on one side – and over he went!

AND YET? His brother claims his dead brother hated riding bikes and was scared of high places….

ENTER: Reed Ferguson, a guy who decided t
Shannon
Apr 13, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. We check in with Reed Ferguson, a fledgling private detective. He is tasked with investigating a death that was ruled a suicide. The brother thinks it was murder. And so another adventure begins. The plot held my attention through to the end. The characters are well written. We have a beautiful and not so nice suspect. Reed' s beautiful neighbor, Willie. The computer master, Cal and the Goofball Brothers. There is a nice mix of action, mystery and humor. I will read ...more
Randy
May 14, 2015 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I like about PI Reed Ferguson is his cheerfully admitting his inexperience at the job. He works hard at it, just as hard as he does his passions. A film buff, specifically early noir and Humphrey Bogart. Not to mention mystery books and related memorabilia.

The case he's on is investigating a man's accidental death while bicycling in the mountains for his brother. The brother says he didn't like bicycling or the mountains.

There's also a life insurance policy with the several years ex-wife li
Philip
Aug 14, 2015 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK read that I enjoyed but a few flaws and not as funny as the first in the series. I had a few smiles and maybe even the odd chuckle while reading this book but none of the out loud laughter that the first in the series delivered. I thought the Goofball Brothers were just OK here but not as outrageous as in the first book and I don't think, unfortunately, that Reed relied as heavily on the old movie fixation as he did in the first book. However this is still a good light read to unwind with ...more
Roger
Jul 06, 2015 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Renée Pawlish is a refreshing voice to the comic murder mystery genre. Pawlish's continuing development of her lead character, Reed Ferguson makes for an entertaining read as she feeds us movie trivia that both entertains & educates, all while being interwoven in the story.

The Reed Ferguson mystery series:

• Book 6: Torch Scene
• Book 7:
Charles Ray
Nov 13, 2015 Charles Ray rated it really liked it
In the second book in the Reed Ferguson mystery series, Reed takes on a new client. Reel Estate Rip-Off by Renee Pawlish is another witty and funny adventure of the noir fiction, old movie-loving detective who, along with the wacky Goofball Brothers, and his computer geek friend, Cal, finds a string leading to a byzantine real estate scam that could end not only his career, but his life.
Pawlish writes with a dry wit and a deft touch, evoking the era of Mickey Spillane and other greats of the pul
Diann
Aug 17, 2016 Diann rated it it was ok
It wasn't a bad read. Even entertaining up to a point. However, it took me a while to get going on this one. (As evidenced by the fact that I started it several months ago.) There were a few points in the story where I was rather confused by what was going on and the characters seemed a bit two-dimensional. Better than anything I could produce but didn't really get me turning pages until towards the end. Quite frankly, I was confused as to how half of it hung together until that point and had ...more
Randy
Feb 06, 2016 Randy rated it it was amazing
I like mysteries that have some humor and different characters, and I haven't been disappointed with any of Ms. Pawlish's stories with Reed Ferguson as protagonist.

A young man is assumed to have committed suicide, but his brother is convinced that he was killed. He comes to Reed Ferguson and asks for his help in proving that it wasn't suicide. Reed's love of film noir is to his advantage in this story.

The plot is well conceived, and it's not clear just what happened until the end of the book.
Denise
Aug 14, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I liked this book. I read the first book and this one has the same basic characters in it, but I don't think you have to have read the first one to enjoy this one. I had figured out some of the "mystery" before it was revealed, but there wasn't enough details to have solved the whole thing. I would like to have more back story on some of the characters, but maybe that will come out in future books.
Literary  Chanteuse
Nov 03, 2015 Literary Chanteuse rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
We again are taken on another case with the amateur detective but not to be fooled. In this book he has certainly sharpened his skills which includes his witty banter and with the help of his interesting friends he manages to solve the mystery. Still with a touch of noir and ode to old Hollywood. I'm actually giving this one a 4.5 because I liked the first slightly more however this is still a really good mystery book.
Sherry
Jan 19, 2014 Sherry added it
I found it very entertaining. I love all the references to all the old movies and the info about the people and the Oscars, etc. Don't know if it is true or not, but it certainly makes everything more interesting. Looking forward to reading the next in the series...The Maltese Felon. Just plain fun books.
Lauren Marlene Sanders-Jones
Aug 23, 2016 Lauren Marlene Sanders-Jones rated it really liked it
The stories in this series are light entertainment, and I have enjoyed the first two books. I've listened to them, and have to say that the narrator's style is bland, which fits with the protagonist; however, in REEL ESTATE RIP-OFF, he effects the worst. French. accent. EVER. Ugh....

I look forward to continuing the series.
Brandi
Apr 07, 2015 Brandi rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. There were a few things that I found predictable, and a couple proofreading errors, but the main character, Reed Ferguson, and his hijinks kept me attentive. I couldn't put it down because I was enjoying the story so much. I DEFINITELY want to read the rest of the series, even though I've skipped out of order.
Byron Miller
Jan 30, 2016 Byron Miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Began with the first in the series and now look forward to reading the rest. The second book was even better than the first. Set in the Denver area, many places are still familiar to me. That always makes me more interested. I enjoyed the book and Ms. Pawlish kept the suspense and comic relief going until the end. It's an easy read that keeps your interest, give it a try.
karen kincaid
Jan 16, 2015 karen kincaid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't get enough of noir

Keep 'm coming. I can't get enough. If you love Bogart and especially old film noir, you'll love these books. I'm rapidly becoming a big fan. Stories are tightly written, characters have depth and substance. All in all a treat.
Jessica
Aug 19, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Fun, easy read. Nothing too complicated. This author doesn't disappoint, however, with likeable, fun characters that don't seem fake or forced. I have my own Cal in my life-that computer guy who doesn't leave his house and is an expert at picking locks too.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Humorous and Punny

Reed is only working on his second case, but he has been attacked and sent to the E.R. A suspicious death the police have decided was just an accident, but Reed gets the bottom of it.
Sandra Swindell
May 09, 2015 Sandra Swindell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real Estate Rip-Off

A very interesting book. I have really enjoyed reading Reed Ferguson's book. They really keep my attention that I do not want to put them down.
ssandisassy2002@yahoo.com
Susan
Oct 12, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Was it an accident, suicide? Jack Healy wants to know how his brother was killed. Reed sets out to find what possible motive there could be, with the help of the Goofball bothers and Cal, can the mystery be solved.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Making Connections: 164. REEL ESTAE RIP-OFF by Renee Pawlish 21 40 Jun 10, 2012 12:56AM
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • Finding Chloe (The Leah Ryan Thrillers Book 2)
  • Chill Run
  • Midnight Reflections
  • The God Decrees
  • The War Planners: Episode 1 (The War Planners Episode #1)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • Dark Side of Sunset Pointe (Lance Underphal Mystery #1)
  • Foreign Enemies And Traitors (The Enemies Trilogy, #3)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • Time of Death
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • The Zen Man
  • Conundrum
  • The Valhalla Exchange
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Jack in a Box (Hunt for Reacher, #2)
From the time she was ten and tried to write her own detective series in the fashion of the Hardy Boys, Renée Pawlish has been developing her craft. Along with creative writing classes, Renée studied great writers like Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout, Stephen King, Sue Grafton and many more. Once Renée graduated from college, she began her first novel. Now, all these years later, she has penned ...more
More about Renee Pawlish...

Reed Ferguson Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)
  • The Maltese Felon (Reed Ferguson #3)
  • Farewell, My Deuce (Reed Ferguson Mystery #4)
  • Out of the Past (Reed Ferguson #5)
  • Torch Scene (Reed Ferguson Mystery #6)
  • The Lady Who Sang High (Reed Ferguson #7)
  • Sweet Smell of Sucrets (Reed Ferguson Mystery #8)
  • The Third Fan (Reed Ferguson Mystery #9)
  • Back Story (Reed Ferguson Mystery #10)
  • Night of the Hunted (Reed Ferguson #11)