Start by marking “A Ready Defense: The Best of Josh McDowell” as Want to Read:
A Ready Defense: The Best of Josh McDowell

A Ready Defense: The Best of Josh McDowell

Be prepared "in season and out" with this handy reference book of faith. Timely and biblically based, Josh McDowell's work offers defenses in 60 of the most-challenged areas of faith. All in one easy-to-reference volume, this book will strengthen your commitment and help you stand firm against challenges to the truth.
Published August 30th 1992 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Ready Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ready Defense

Corey
Aug 07, 2012 Corey rated it it was amazing
The gold standard when it comes to the defense of the Bible and the Christian faith
Rachael Marsceau
Jan 19, 2016 Rachael Marsceau rated it it was amazing
I am so not qualified to write a review that would do this book justice, so I'm just going to give you the three smallish things I didn't like, because everything else was great.

1. Josh McDowell isn't a KJV-only guy, and while I'm not one of those loudmouth Sword of the Lord types, it does get annoying when huge passages of Scripture are printed out in the book from the NASB. The words are so different that I find it distracting enough to make me skip reading the whole paragraph.

2. After discus
Rudy Dyck
Apr 09, 2013 Rudy Dyck rated it it was ok
This one-stop shopping apologetic work for defending the literal, inerrant Bible by Josh McDowell is like eating Watermelon for those trying to defend the Christian faith. It's sweet and very satisfying initially but 30 minutes later you are starving. For me that feeling left about a year later as I read more balanced books.

I was initially very impressed with this book as it was one of the first Christian religious books I read as I was trying to learn more about my faith and exactly why I belie
Katrina Patton
Oct 12, 2013 Katrina Patton rated it really liked it
I am already a Christian, so I picked up this book for information, rather than to confirm anything. I find the historical facts and background of the bible very interesting and there is a great amount of time devoted to that in this book.

For people who are not yet Christian, it may not be as satisfying a read as I found it to be. It is a collection of many references and books, and because of this, it does not go into great detail about any one area. It skims over topics and presents the bare m
Rob
Oct 19, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it

Pretty thorough and eye opening. Covers a great deal of tough issues from both sides. At times redundant it can get pretty boring. Nonetheless this is the best case for the gospel I have come across.

Unfortunately there is a big difference between accepting the gospel intellectually and accepting Christ with mind and heart.

This book takes care of the intellectual side of things though I presume an agnostic or atheist would discredit this book out of bias or because if taken as true than the ev
Patrick Hays
Apr 18, 2013 Patrick Hays rated it liked it
This book overall good. It's written for a general audience (not a scholarly one) so it can feel very one-sided at times and lacks in-depth analysis of criticisms or counter-claims. The author ensures that the reader feels like all of the information presented here is completely correct and undisputed.

If you weren't already aware of them, I suppose some things will shock you (i.e. the lack of evidence that Pilate existed, Herod took a census, the slaughter of the children in Bethlehem, and othe
Hans
Aug 14, 2008 Hans rated it really liked it
This is more like an encyclopedia, or source of reference, than anything you'd just straight forward read. I was lent it from a friend a while back where I read parts of it, and flip through it in bookstores occasionally. Mcdowell does a good job of putting together the comprehensive points in the defense of Christian faith. It just gets annoying when people start parroting it...

Coming from an atheist point of view, I say that even though we don't agree with the points made, we need to at least
Ciara
Apr 16, 2014 Ciara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this since high school, so my memory is a little hazy. However, I remember that this book played a key role in revealing to me the historicity and veracity of the Bible. I tend to use logic when defending my faith, because historical evidence is not always reliable since, as new discoveries come to light, the record constantly changes. That said, historical evidence can be very useful, and is one of the reasons I believe what I do. So while I use reason with other people, I use ...more
Dan Glover
Jan 14, 2010 Dan Glover rated it it was ok
Nothing wrong with the material as far as it goes but the presupposition that one can reason an unbeliever into faith if you meet them on the neutral ground of human reason in order to prove the validity, accuracy and truth of Scripture implicitly replaces the authority of Scripture as the Christians foundation with human reason.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 07, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it it was amazing

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Katie
May 17, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I borrowed it from my sister, and plan to include this one or possibly some of his other books in my library. I can see that this will be a book that I will refer to again and again.
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
Evidential apologetics. McDowell takes his "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" and simplifies it to one easy volume for anyone to read in whole or part. A good resource tool.
Robyn
Jul 23, 2013 Robyn rated it it was amazing
The beginning where it uses archaeological evidence to prove the prophesies in the Bible and that the Biblical account is true was my favorite part.
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Jamie Petit
Jamie Petit rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Curtis J Graham
Curtis J Graham rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2008
Eldridge Harley,
Eldridge Harley, rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2013
Becka
Becka rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Always Ready
Always Ready rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2009
Keely
Keely rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2010
Kevin N
Kevin N rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2011
Peter Escue
Peter Escue rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Kiki
Kiki rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Mike Fretz
Mike Fretz rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Mike Laney
Mike Laney rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • The Apologetics Study Bible: Understand Why You Believe
  • The Creator and the Cosmos: How the Greatest Scientific Discoveries of the Century Reveal God
  • Counterfeit Revival
  • True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • A History of the Christian Church
  • Evangelism in the Early Church
  • The Lie: Evolution
  • Classic Christianity: Life's Too Short to Miss the Real Thing
As a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He truly believed that Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, Josh discovered compelling, overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. After trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, Josh’s life changed dramatically as he experienced the power of ...more
More about Josh McDowell...