Start by marking “Keeping Secrets (Timber Ridge Riders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Keeping Secrets (Timber Ridge Riders, #1)

Keeping Secrets (Timber Ridge Riders #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Series: Timber Ridge Riders--Book One
Ages: 9-12

A valuable show jumper is dead, and it's all her fault . . . which is why 14-year-old Kate McGregor has put horses and riding out of her life.Forever!

But her new summer job as a companion to Holly Chapman, a former riding star who's now confined to a wheelchair, takes Kate back to the barn--the last place she wants to be. Can
Published November 2011 by Pageworks Press

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Secrets

Donna
My feelings on the book can be accurately described by the phrase: “it’s not you, it’s me.” This book is just so clichéd, and I’ve become far too critical for books like this. There’s no doubt that it’s well written and it’s definitely a decent book for anyone who loves horses, but I did have quite a few problems with this book.

Kate McGregor used to love horses a riding, but after a tragic accident that she was blamed for, she makes the decision to give up horses forever. She takes a summer job
Laurence
The perfect book for horse lovers!

If you've ever read or watched The Saddle Club, this is the next book you should pick up. There's a lot of descriptions of horses that make riders very happy, because they're all accurate. There's also the "horrible girl" thing we've seen in The Saddle Club, except with a different twist, because although both are similar, it'd be no fun if they were identical (and it would be plagiarism, which we obviously don't want). There's drama, horse and boy related, and
Claire (Cem)
Very exciting, albiet shortish, teen horse book. 14 year old Kate is struggling with the lose of her favourite horse, Black Magic, but finds herself about to spend the summer helping paralized Holly, around the barn her mom runs. Hard not to quickly fall in love with the characters or the story. I'm in my mid 20's and I love it. It's fun, fast, but with an emotional edge that stops it being silly. I really felt for Kate and her situation. And I felt that while the actions of one girl were on the ...more
Katarina
I'm a horse lover. I was one of those crazy kids/teens, who spent every free minute at the stable. My bedroom was wallpapered in horse pics. I only read books like these.....when I was 13 or 14.

So now that i'm just a few years (decades) older, I am still a sucker for a good horsey book. I'll even read a few bad ones to take me back to my time in the barn. Keeping Secrets is one I really enjoyed. It's pretty short, but I liked the story and the girls. It was different than the usual horse books,
Julia Nashif
Despite saying in my review of Turning on a Dime that I probably wouldn't read more books by Maggie Dana, the premise in this one lured me in anyway.

Thank you, NetGalley and Pageworks Press, for this free book to review!

What I liked:

1. It was an easy read. Maybe too easy.

2. Liz, Holly's mom. Poor thing, she has to put up with so much.

What I didn't like:

1. Aren't horses supposed to have some kind of personalities? These ones sure didn't.

2. For the matter, the girls didn't either. We hear Kate's d
Courtney
*I received a copy of this novel through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I really enjoyed this story. It reminded me of all of the horse reading I did when I was younger. Being an equestrian myself, I always enjoy a well written horse related read. This one fit both of those requirements nicely.

The story is rather predictable for anyone who's read a lot of these types of novels, so it may not appeal to all readers. Personally I don't find that to be a negative aspect. If the story i
Caitlin Brast
I do like this book. And if I had read it, like, 7-8 years ago, I probably would have adored it. It's very much of "The Saddle Club" mode- best friends, great horses, catty mean girls, cute boys. I ate Keeping Secrets up, as in, I got it, I sat down, and about an hour later, I was done. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Kate and Holly, and they did actually seem their age, which I find is harder and harder to see in books these days. All of the minor issues I have with this book are just that ...more
Misty Baker
When I first had my son I had a barrage of people imparting their motherly wisdom on me. As do most new mothers.

“He must learn how to self sooth, let him cry.”

“If you don’t put shoes on him right away, he will have weak ankles.”

“You must throw everything you have at him for the first five years…that’s when they learn the most!”

If I’m being totally honest, the first two I completely ignored, but the bit about “learning” I paid attention to. I didn’t want my kid to grow up behind the pack, struggl
Linda
A perfect middle-grade read. I was originally attracted to this book by the great cover, and the inside did not disappoint. Maggie Dana's engaging story-telling skills pull you immediately into the action, and introduce us to two very distinct but likeable characters: Kate - who is hiding a dark secret that keeps her from her one true passion - horses, and Holly, a fiesty new friend who has lost the use of her legs and is wheelchair bound, but whose spirit knows no boundaries.

Add a bit of myster
Erin Lindsay McCabe
This is an entertaining novel perfect for younger kids, especially horse crazy girls. I love the positive friendship that is portrayed between protagonist Kate and Holly, the wheelchair-bound girl for whom Kate works as a companion. Especially noteworthy is Holly's positive attitude, despite the fact that she has every reason to be negative and the Nigel's take on the importance of honesty and integrity.
You can real my full review for HorseNation.com here: http://www.horsenation.com/2013/12/04..
Ruby Rose Scarlett
This is an okay book. It lacks depth and my main concern with it was the shallow and stereotypical characterization. Besides, there wasn't enough horse content to keep me interested - by the end, I barely knew anything of the horse Kate was riding and I like a lot more horse/rider contact in my fiction. From what I can read of the next books, they follow the exact same pattern so I won't be purchasing the other titles. It's a shame, really, for I was excited to begin a series in which one of the ...more
Barbara Ann
First in a series of books featuring young teens and their love of horses. Kate is fourteen and spending her summer with her aunt because her father is a lepidopterist who is busy chasing butterflies in Brazil. Looking for something to keep her occupied, Kate applies for a summer job as a companion for a teen named Holly. Holly is now wheelchair bound as a result of a horseback riding accident.

Kate has a dark secret. She was blamed for the death of a horse in her care. Now she is petrified to go
Ian Wood

Sally
Sometimes you just need a nice, quick read, and this fitted the bill perfectly. Holly's in a wheelchair and her mother hires Kate to act as her companion/helper for the summer. They live beside a riding school where Holly's mother works, which is a nightmare for Kate who was wrongly accused of allowing a horse to die at her previous stable. So she pretends she's scared of horses and refuses to go near them, but of course it all comes out when she needs to get help quickly for an injured rider, a ...more
Amy
I really enjoyed Keeping Secrets. I love the fun characters, drama, setting, and of course, the horses. A great start to the Timber Ridge Riders series. I look forward to reading more about the girls in the series and more by this author. Five stars
Gmr
Jun 20, 2012 Gmr rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle grade readers and beyond
Recommended to Gmr by: Maggie Dana
Filled with quite a few devious acts on the part of SOMEONE or other that apparently can’t grasped right from wrong…certainly doesn’t help that their Mother doesn’t know this basic lesson either...whoever said the Middle Grade reads lack the energy and edge-of-your-seat pull you get from stories written for an older audience, should really think again.

Our main events center around Timber Ridge Stables, home of tranquil paths through beautiful woodlands and an award winning riding team currently
Natalie
Like so many YA horse books, Keeping Secrets is about the friendships and rivalries that horsey girls make. Who were your truest friends and your most formidable enemies when you were growing up? Not the kids at school; they were just an annoyance you had to put with for the purpose of getting through lunch and those dreary group homework assignments. Life, and laughter, and all-out war, resided firmly at the barn.

The twists in Keeping Secrets are unique, though. Holly, the riding instructor’s d
Laurie Cameron
When Kate applies for the job of helpmate for wheelchair-bound Holly who lives at the Timber Ridge Stables with her mother, she has no intention of going near the stables, much less riding one of the horses. She was through with that, ever since the terrible tragedy at Sandpiper Stables where she used to ride. A beautiful horse named Black Magic had died due to her carelessness and she could never forgive herself for that.

But then there is an accident on the trail involving the beautiful Magicia
Tfalcone
Once a pony club girl, ways a pony club girl. I grew up reading these books and loved them and it turns out I still do. Fast read and has everything a horse adventure needs. Thank you net galley for the free copy.
Eva Schon
Author: Maggie Dana

Genre: Tween

My rating on a 1 – 10 scale: 8

Type: Fiction

Time Period: Modern

Main Characters: Kate, Holly, Angela

My Review: Kate Macgregor feels responsible for the death of a beautiful sports horse. When her new job includes horses, she panics. She doesn’t want anyone to know her secret but she confides to her best friend, Holly, who was disabled in a driving accident. When Angela finds out, what will Kate do?

My Overall Opinion: I really enjoyed reading this book. It has twists
Jenny Rose
Keeping Secrets by Maggie Dana is about a 14 year-old named Kate McGregor who is trying to avoid her past and her Aunt Marion by getting a summer job. Unfortunately that job means having to deal with her past instead of ignoring it.

If you know a girl aged 8-12 who is crazy about horses, this book is definitely for her. Kate has to deal with all the typical things girls this age face—bullies, truth and lies, trust, and emotional roller coasters. Even as an adult I found myself laughing and crying
Cindy
The targeted age group should love this.
Christine Meunier
Book 1 in the Timber Ridge Riders series by Maggie Dana introduces the reader to 14 year old Kate McGregor. Kate is answering an advert regarding a potential job being an aid and companion to a wheelchair bound girl, Holly. The one thing Kate didn't bank on with the job however, was it's proximity to horses.

Holly's mother can't pay a lot for the position and has offered Kate some riding lessons on top of the small sum. No longer wanting to have anything to do with horses... more at http://equus-
Jami
When Maggie Dana contacted me a few weeks ago and asked me to do a review of her horse novel written for young girls, I didn't hesitate. Growing up, I gobbled up every horse book I could find. I still hold a soft sport for this particular type of book. So as far as I was concerned, reading a book like this gave me an excuse to return to my childhood.

See my complete review here:
Kristi Weigant
Great book

it teaches or reminds me to believe that many things can happen wen you work for it. and that you have to have faith .over all a great book no bad words nothing inappropriate no just plain bad things.
Kim
The plot was very good. But it was lacking something..... I'm still not sure what that something is but I am excited about reading the second book soon. I loved the three day eventing featured in the book. But it lacked that competitive feel. Yeah Angela was a b-word but it's usually between barns.
Thoa Turner
it is a good book for teenagers that love riding horses.
Jenn
Better than I expected, but a little unimaginative. I did like Holly quite a bit though - interested to see what happens with her in the next book.
  • Mounted (Bittersweet Farm, #1)
  • A Good Horse (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #2)
  • The Perfect Distance
  • Endurance Ride (Saddle Club, #69)
  • Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)
  • The Race (Golden Filly, #1)
  • Sundancer
  • Melanie's Treasure (Thoroughbred, #25)
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
  • The Girl Who Remembered Horses
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
  • Off Course (The A Circuit, #3)

Timber Ridge Riders (10 books)
  • Racing into Trouble (Timber Ridge Riders, #2)
  • Riding for the Stars (Timber Ridge Riders, #3)
  • Wish Upon a Horse (Timber Ridge Riders, #4)
  • Chasing Dreams (Timber Ridge Riders, #5)
  • Almost Perfect (Timber Ridge Riders, #6)
  • Taking Chances (Timber Ridge Riders, #7)
  • Double Feature (Timber Ridge Riders, #9)
  • After the Storm (Timber Ridge Riders, #8)
  • Flying Changes (Timber Ridge Riders, #10)
Riding for the Stars (Timber Ridge Riders, #3) Wish Upon a Horse (Timber Ridge Riders, #4) Chasing Dreams (Timber Ridge Riders, #5) Almost Perfect (Timber Ridge Riders, #6) Taking Chances (Timber Ridge Riders, #7)