Start by marking “The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5)

The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy 0.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Over a thousand years ago, the gods left Eloh's people and took their magic with them. To win back their favor, her people sacrifice ten female initiates every ten years. No has ever survived. There has never been a Chosen One.

Forced into becoming an initiate, Eloh will try to find a way to beat the odds, stay with her boyfriend, and survive the fires that threaten to cons
Published December 25th 2011 by 80 Pages (first published December 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Initiate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Initiate

Mickey Reed
See full review here!

I received an ecopy of the book for review from the author. Here is my honest review:

I have yet to read anything by Megg Jensen, but the imagination in this short story leads me to definitely want to pick something up by her soon. I enjoyed this short story, and I'm not a huge short story fan. I always want more, which is why I focus on series books. I might have enjoyed it more if I'd read either Sleepers or Anathema, but that's okay. It isn't necessary to have rea
Kim
The Initiate is a novella that bridges the original Cloud Prophet trilogy and the new Swarm trilogy, a prequel to both. While the novella can stand alone, it has the threads that will eventually weave together with the trilogies of the Cloud Prophet and Swarm trilogies. It tells the story of Eloh who we meet in the Cloud Prophet trilogy. In that, Eloh was the wise one, while this story tells of her as she is the one in need of guidance. She is living in a world in which magic has disappeared. El ...more
Shirley
I can’t say that this was a surprise. In the back of my mind I always wondered if Megg Jensen’s Cloud Prophet Trilogy and The Swarm Trilogy were connected somehow. The Initiate solves that mystery.

There is a lot packed into this short story. A lot of information, a lot of intense emotion and a little more mystery that helps us look forward even more to the rest of The Swarm Trilogy. Readers were first introduced to Eloh in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy. The Eloh that we meet in The Initiate is a tot
Dragana
Oct 26, 2012 Dragana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ya fantasy who plan to read or have already read The Song of Eloh Saga
Eloh is the initiate. Picked as one of 10 girls who will be sacrificed to the Gods in hope that one of them will be The Chosen One. We hang out with Eloh before she hits the stage as her makeup is applied and we learn a little bit about this strange custom, reasons for sacrificing young girls, her family and boyfriend Ben.

Short stories and novellas often have problem that there is not much place for character development. But here we get to know Eloh pretty well. Other characters feel flat compa
Brea Essex
This short story bridges the Cloud Prophet Trilogy and The Swarm Trilogy. I hadn't even realized how closely the two series were connected until I read this. Although it is technically a prequel to both series, it can be read before or after either.

The Initiate tells the story of Eloh, who plays a big part in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy. She lives in a world where magic has disappeared, and doesn't believe in the gods anymore. Her parents give her up to be an initiate because they can't afford her
S
This novella is a prequel for both the Cloud and Swarm trilogies that Megg Jensen wrote. After reading it, it convinced me that I need to read the books. Although this was a prequel, it can still stand on its own and piques the reader’s interest causing them to want to read the entire series. It definitely gives the feel of Ms. Jensen’s writing and the story line. Yes, it was written for the YA, but we can all enjoy the read.
H.
Books often hook me on the first words, but I have to say the last lines of Megg Jensen’s “The Initiate” gave me pause. Although I will leave them for other readers to discover, they serve as true in real life as they do for the two series this short story bridges – The Swarm Trilogy and The Cloud Prophet Trilogy.

In the story, every ten years, ten girls are sacrificed in the hopes that the gods will choose a chosen one, but no one ever survives the trial by fire. Eloh, who does not believe in th
Gloria Green
WOW!

I didn't know what to expect when I started this Novella. I've haven't read any of the other books related to this series. I have to say I was hooked by the second page. Now it's a must that I read all of the books from Cloud Prophet Trilogy and The Sleepers.

The author explains at the end of The Initiate that it ties the two trilogies together. The lead character Eloh is the ancestor of the characters in the other books. We get to see how Eloh learns she is The Chosen One. And that along wit
Miranda Agee
A interesting start/segue to the Cloud Prophet and Swarm trilogies. I read this before touching either of the connected series, and it made me want to experience more of this world in Megg Jensen creative head.

The final star would have magically appeared with more details. It is something I've found lacking in the subsequent series as well. Overall... Worth the read!
Spellbound Reviews

This is an incredibly short read. It is the introduction into a series, and not a stand- alone novella. Though short, it explains a good deal for the other books, but definitely could have been a bit longer.

Some things didn't add up (such as why the women are punished). Overall, I just felt okay about it though it isn't bad by any means.
Jenny needham
My Review:
I was hooked right from the first paragraph with this novella, Megg manages to weave a world of magic, with characters that capture your interest and drag you into their world. Eloh is a well rounded, yet has some much depth of feeling and compassion that you do truly grow to love. This novella although it can be read on it's own with nothing lost within the story-line, it is also uses as a bridge between both of Megg's other series. So if you are finding Megg's book for the first time
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
I have yet to read Anathema or Sleepers, although both are sitting on my nook right now. But thought I would read this novella first. It gives readers a look at how it all started. Eloh is a goddess, a common ancestor that is shared between both Cloud Prophet Series and the Swarm Trilogy. I found Megg Jensen’s writing flows really well and look forward to reading more of her work. I am not sure if we will get more of Eloh’s human life in Jensen’s books, but would like to see what happens. I foun ...more
This short story hooked me immediately. I love gods and goddesses, and the ritualistic nature of this culture was intriguing. It definitely worked as a teaser to make me want to read more by this author. (I was not disappointed when I read Anathema.)
Saruuh Kelsey
Well, since I have two of the Cloud Prophecy books on my computer and this was free, I thought - hey why not? I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected a free book to be badly written, boring and disappointing (possibly should not, as the author of a free book, be judging free books here) but it was not!

The writing was good, and I could follow it without any complaints which is a rather big deal from someone who complains about the slightest thing in writing. The plot, albeit small, was intrig
Julie Baswell
I have not read the two series' that this short book alludes to so I can't say much about that. As far as this story goes, I enjoyed it. It does make me want to read the others, even though this main character seems to be of little read in the other books. I connected with her and would prefer to read her story.
Veray Carter
This was a novella and it did a good job of getting my interest. I will be reading the rest of the series and can't wait to see where the author takes me.
Flora Bateman
This short novella is the beginning of the Cloud Prophet Trilogy. It tells of Eloh and how she has become an Initiate to an arcane ritual where girls are burned at the stake in order to appease the Gods. Society is trying to bring back magic to the world by doing so.

Although this is a short novella, the story draws you in from the very beginning and the characters feel so real. And by the ending, that comes entirely too soon, you are anxious to continue her story.

I've not read any of the other b
Emily
This novella was a quick read (literally it took me about an hour). I was on the fence about the first book in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy (Anathema) and so I figured I’d read this to get a better feel for the author.

My first thought when I started the book: “hmm…this sounds familiar… teens being sacrificed in hopes that only one will be chosen and survive – uh hello Hunger Games?!” But the similarities stopped there and while I thought it was cool to learn a little about Eloh, I don’t think this
Julie
I loved this book and the entire Song of Eloh saga. I couldn't put it down once I started. Honestly, I would have rated this particular novella a 5 if it hadn't left me with a number of questions that the series hadn't answered. I bought the entire series together as a set, with this one as the lead book. I read the other six books trying to figure out who the people at the end of this novella were going to be in the other books. All in all, a really good series. I'm glad I stumbled across it.
R.G.
it's a short story and i have to say the author did a great job drawing you in and creating a world and characters in so few pages... this was supposedly a book to tie 2 other series together... i've never read anything else by this author and even so was able to enjoy it so much i went and got Anathema by her... theres not much to say but this is a world that's lost it's magic and is willing to do anything to get it back... hopefully her other books are just as good...
Trisha
I'm sure I would have enjoyed this - had I read the first book in the series.

That's the tough part about .5 books. Sometimes they don't stand well alone. And this one, to me, was confusing without a back story or additional information. The people and their customs and beliefs didn't have much reference so they were not very deep or fully flushed out.

I think this is one I'll re-read once I've read book 1 :)
Cindy
“You were chosen because of your love for people, not because of your faith. For this, you will be punished.”

“I would always choose him - above and beyond all things, time, and space.”

“I find sometimes that the ones who question are the most faithful.”

I found this to be a lot better than Anathema and Sleepers. Go figure. This is an excellent way to start a trilogy, or better yet, TWO trilogies.
Melissa
This was an intriguing short story that definitely makes me want to read more from this author. It creates an interesting fantasy world, but leaves the reader with enough questions to interest them in the other series. I'm just not sure which one I want to read first--Anathema or Sleepers. Great short story with a fascinating fantasy world--I will definitely read more.
Wanda Hartzenberg
The Initiate by Megg Jensen
A nice short story giving readers and fans some more background information on two trilogies penned by the author. Even if you have not read the anthologies this short is sure to entertain and entice you and give you a taste of what is ahead of you with the two trilogies.
All in all an entertaining read if short and tragic in its own way.
WaAr
Crystal
This is the first book I have read by Megg Jensen. I liked it quite a bit. I think I will read the two trilogies that fall on either side of this book.
This short book tells of Eloh and her sacrifice to the gods. And of how they intervene to save her life until she can do the job which they have chosen for her.
Jodi Woody
This short little prequel is the perfect start for the "Song of Eloh Saga." I really liked it. There is no swearing and no sexual content. Great Fantasy. I will be reading the whole Saga through till the end. I enjoyed the characters, they are well fleshed out and the female lead is likable. I give it 4 stars.
Christina
The Initiate is a short story that ties the Cloud Prophet Trilogy and The Swarm Trilogy together. It is also a prequel to both series! As a newcomer, not having read either series, my interest has more than been sparked! I'll definitely be moving 'Anathema' closer to the top of my tbr-pile! Full review coming soon!
Nicole Galloway-Miller
I couldn't sleep a couple of nights ago. I loved it, and got Book One, as well. The story similar to the novel I am working on. Where a young woman is "chosen" to save the world, but she's not sure she is up to the job. I'm looking forward to reading more of the series.
  • The Banshee and the Linebacker
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Song to Wake to (Levels, # 1)
  • The Fate of the Muse (Marina's Tales, #3)
  • Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • Breath of Air (Dryad Quartet #1)
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Dark Revelation
  • Before (Heven and Hell, #0.5)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Rojuun (Willden #1)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Girl Born of Smoke
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
I've been a freelance parenting journalist since 2003 and began writing YA novels in 2009. I live in the Chicago suburbs with my husband, two kids, and our miniature schnauzers, Ace & Tanu.

For more information on me please visit my website at http://www.meggjensen.com
More about Megg Jensen...

Cloud Prophet Trilogy (3 books)
  • Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)
  • Oubliette (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #2)
  • Severed (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #3)
Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1) Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1) Oubliette (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #2) Severed (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #3) Shucked

“Ben reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me back to him. His lips tickled against my ear as he whispered, "I will do anything to save you, Eloh. Anything. Don't mistake this for something else.” 1 likes