Start by marking “A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)

A Calling for Pleasure (Damned If You Do #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  25 reviews
If you summon this demon, he’s guaranteed to come!

With a killer succubus leaving a trail of desiccated corpses, Detective Lars Thornsson of the Paranormal Enforcement Agency knows he shouldn’t be falling for a suspect. But a hot little piece of demon tail like Rael is impossible to resist. Slender, snake-hipped, and dark skinned, he swears he’s innocent—of murder, at least
ebook, 2nd Edition, 25 pages
Published January 15th 2012 by J.L. Merrow / Smashwords (first published December 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Calling for Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Calling for Pleasure

Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn HaleThe Emperor's Wolf by J.C. OwensFalling by Cameron DanePaul's Dream by Rowan McBrideHell Hath No Fury by Carol Lynne
Best Gay Demons
31st out of 100 books — 117 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
347th out of 374 books — 912 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Very good short paranormal m/m romance about two detectives for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency trying to track down a succubus who's leaving a trail of dead guys behind her. The male detective (non-romantic detective pairing, not to worry!) becomes fascinated by a male succubus who's picked up during the investigation... This was a fun start to a (currently) three-book series that I'm hoping J.L. adds to. :)
Cryselle
JL Merrow's biography explains that she's "frequently accused of humor," and I'm going to shake that finger at her again. From the opening scene between the demon Rael and the pimply teenager, aka the "sebum king" who's summoned him, to the climactic declarations at the end, this story pushes expectations in one direction and then takes a sudden left turn.

They’d been on this case for three weeks now, and were getting nowhere fast. The succubus they were after had put, at last count, thirteen men
Cole Riann
Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

Lars and his partner Rochelle are investigators for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency and are frustrated they keep finding dead corpses and still haven’t found the succubus responsible for killing them. That all changes, however, when a young man is almost killed and tells them a tale of a male succubus whose description has Lars panting just from visualization. With a new lead to follow, Lars and Rochelle assume that he’s just a lucky, if somewhat stupi
MandyM
3.5 stars. I read both the shorter version in The Care and Feeding of Demons and this new expanded version. I couldn't really tell the difference from memory but anyway they're both very entertaining. The two sequels are great too: A Blast from the Past and A Wish Too Far.
Emma Sea
Cute, fun and hot. Gets an extra star for being free. I had to shake myself a bit at the begining as the summoning scene reminded me so much of Rincewind being summoned in Eric. However, soon sorted myself in the right universe, and am now in lust with Rael and have to read the books in the series.
Lily
I really enjoyed reading this one. There's humor, likable characters, a little mystery/suspense to the plot and some really smoking hot sex as well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cute succubus Rael meets sexy detective Lars during an investigation! I'll definitely want to read the second one, when it comes out!
Serena Yates
This is such a fun read. Hilarious, sexy and with an intriguing story concept, it captured my imagination as much as it made me laugh. The story has been out for a while (as part of an anthology I just never got around to reading), and I’m really glad this re-release has drawn my attention to it.

Lars is a detective who gets to investigate and hunt paranormal criminals on a daily basis. I thought it was hilarious that he has no paranormal abilities whatsoever, even though his mother is an immorta
Bee
As you may have noticed I'm all about the freebies right now...so when one of my favorite authors has a book on special offer I'm not likely to resist. This one didn't really sound like anything I'd like, but it's way easier to take a chance on a book when you don't have to pay for it...maybe sad, but true. In the end my only complaint was the length...I wanted more!

Lars is a Paranormal Investigator on the hunt for a murderous succubus. When he catches Rael at the scene of yet another killing he
Meep
It's a short funny story and fine as that; not enough here to have strong feelings about.

I was entertained, it made me smile, but having bought the collection I don't feel any urge to read on. There just doesn't seem a need for a sequel let alone three of them. I'm keeping them for when I need a giggle and hopeing to be proved wrong.

Characters are quirky and one-dimensional. Plot is all tongue in cheek with tail going just where-ever it pleases!

If you feel the need for something light and daft t
Mandy Beyers
It was too short! (But, there are two more stories about these characters, so...) I enjoyed the concept - half-Valkyrie detective and his partner are searching for a succubus that has left thirteen or fourteen men dead and stumble across a male succubus (that they were unaware was possible) who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. After sorting out the who-dunnit aspec of the story and clearing Rael (or he cleared himself), the detective and the demon get together. The whole scene with the t ...more
Evaine
A Calling for Pleasure (Damned if You Do) by JL Merrow This little novella was a riot! Lars is a detective for theParanormal Enforcement Agency and Rael is a "hot little piece of demon tail" and the two of them make one of the most fun couples I've read about in a while. Jamie Merrow has a lovely, humourous voice in this tale and I found myself chuckling aloud on more than one occasion. Lars is sexy and Rael is too adorable for words. :) This was a really fun read and I'll be adding the rest of ...more
Tam
This is absolutely the kind of demon story I adore. It hit all the right buttons with a bit of detective work, a stoic hero, a twinky sexy demon and a prehensile tail. Oh my. Lots of chuckles for me as well, which always works. I understand there are some follow-up to this story that I'm very much looking forward to as I loved Rael and he was just so adorable and focused. *eyebrow waggle* :-) You can't go wrong.
Tamarrion Lash
Чудесная серия. Я авторку ваще люблю, но тут она оторвалась по-полной. Очень милая, с юмором написанная серия городского фентези про не-совсем-хумана детектива из отдела паранормальных расследований, его любовника-инкуба, его напарницу - злобную ведьму (люблюнимагу) и домашнюю саламандру по имени Китти.

Сюжеты простенькие, но оно все такое оптимистичное и мимимишное, что на сюжет уже и не смотришь.
Dee Wy
3.5 stars Lars looked at Rael's tail and said "Do you ever, uh, do yourself with it?" Rael's reply, "Well, we wouldn't want it to drop off from lack of use." Oh, Honey, this was a cute, free short.
k reads
Not a lot of depth but fun, nonetheless,
A lightweight sex confection.
Melissa
This was a fun little read, two compassionate heros that got the bad girl - in more ways than one. I will be looking for the rest of this series - definately.
Thomaidha Papa
3.5 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Review to follow.
Melanie

See the Collection for my review of this and all of the Lars and Rael stories. http://wp.me/p220KL-1gx
Sair
he's got a prehensile tail
there's a cop

what more does a reader need?
obviously nothing

It was great!
Zandra
A fun read but the southern accents felt a little over-the-top and were a bit distracting.
Silencio
Overuse of the word 'Honey', but otherwise a good short story.
Nightcolors
Read for m/m team bingo challenge, round 5.
Connie
A very forgettable short story.
Gingerjab
Gingerjab marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Thomas
Thomas added it
Sep 16, 2014
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky, #2)
  • Devil at the Crossroads
  • Sucks & Blows
  • Flawless (Irresistible Attraction, #4)
  • Fragile Bond
  • First Watch
  • The Flesh Cartel #10: False Gods
  • Blessed Isle
  • Iron & Velvet (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Bump in the Night
  • Lost and Found
  • Long the Mile
  • Hell Cop
  • Tomfoolery
JL Merrow is a very English writer of (mainly) m/m fiction who finds writing the only way to stay sane, except of course when a plot is driving her crazy. Having grown up on an island, she can’t remember a time before she could swim and prefers to remain close to water at all times. Luckily, the weather in her native land being as it generally is, this is not difficult.

She enjoys reading, martial
More about J.L. Merrow...
Muscling Through Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1) Pricks and Pragmatism Hard Tail Slam!