Start by marking “A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)

A Calling for Pleasure (Damned If You Do #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  31 reviews
If you summon this demon, he’s guaranteed to come!

With a killer succubus leaving a trail of desiccated corpses, Detective Lars Thornsson of the Paranormal Enforcement Agency knows he shouldn’t be falling for a suspect. But a hot little piece of demon tail like Rael is impossible to resist. Slender, snake-hipped, and dark skinned, he swears he’s innocent—of murder, at least
ebook, 2nd Edition, 25 pages
Published January 15th 2012 by J.L. Merrow / Smashwords (first published December 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Calling for Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Calling for Pleasure

Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn HalePaul's Dream by Rowan McBrideThe Emperor's Wolf by J.C. OwensFalling by Cameron DaneBlind Desire by I.D. Locke
Best Gay Demons
31st out of 104 books — 121 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxTell Me It's Real by T.J. KluneSno Ho by Ethan Day
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
371st out of 402 books — 997 voters

More lists with this book...

Cole Riann
Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

Lars and his partner Rochelle are investigators for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency and are frustrated they keep finding dead corpses and still haven’t found the succubus responsible for killing them. That all changes, however, when a young man is almost killed and tells them a tale of a male succubus whose description has Lars panting just from visualization. With a new lead to follow, Lars and Rochelle assume that he’s just a lucky, if somewhat stupi
Chris
Very good short paranormal m/m romance about two detectives for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency trying to track down a succubus who's leaving a trail of dead guys behind her. The male detective (non-romantic detective pairing, not to worry!) becomes fascinated by a male succubus who's picked up during the investigation... This was a fun start to a (currently) three-book series that I'm hoping J.L. adds to. :)
Emma Sea
Cute, fun and hot. Gets an extra star for being free. I had to shake myself a bit at the begining as the summoning scene reminded me so much of Rincewind being summoned in Eric. However, soon sorted myself in the right universe, and am now in lust with Rael and have to read the books in the series.
Serena Yates
This is such a fun read. Hilarious, sexy and with an intriguing story concept, it captured my imagination as much as it made me laugh. The story has been out for a while (as part of an anthology I just never got around to reading), and I’m really glad this re-release has drawn my attention to it.

Lars is a detective who gets to investigate and hunt paranormal criminals on a daily basis. I thought it was hilarious that he has no paranormal abilities whatsoever, even though his mother is an immorta
Cryselle
JL Merrow's biography explains that she's "frequently accused of humor," and I'm going to shake that finger at her again. From the opening scene between the demon Rael and the pimply teenager, aka the "sebum king" who's summoned him, to the climactic declarations at the end, this story pushes expectations in one direction and then takes a sudden left turn.

They’d been on this case for three weeks now, and were getting nowhere fast. The succubus they were after had put, at last count, thirteen men
MandyM
3.5 stars. I read both the shorter version in The Care and Feeding of Demons and this new expanded version. I couldn't really tell the difference from memory but anyway they're both very entertaining. The two sequels are great too: A Blast from the Past and A Wish Too Far.
Susana
Detective Lars Thornsson of the Paranormal Enforcement Agency is looking for a killer succubus… and what he finds instead is Rael, a feisty little demon who finds in the handsome detective all he needs to be happy on Earth...
This is a short paranormal romance involving a hot succubus and a detective who happens to be half immortal (being a Valkyrie’s son). Rael and Lars get on like a house on fire from the beginning, making clear their attraction towards each other. I really liked Rael, he is fu
Lily
I really enjoyed reading this one. There's humor, likable characters, a little mystery/suspense to the plot and some really smoking hot sex as well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cute succubus Rael meets sexy detective Lars during an investigation! I'll definitely want to read the second one, when it comes out!
Bee
As you may have noticed I'm all about the freebies right now...so when one of my favorite authors has a book on special offer I'm not likely to resist. This one didn't really sound like anything I'd like, but it's way easier to take a chance on a book when you don't have to pay for it...maybe sad, but true. In the end my only complaint was the length...I wanted more!

Lars is a Paranormal Investigator on the hunt for a murderous succubus. When he catches Rael at the scene of yet another killing he
Elaine
Odd steamy story

Very different story, but really enjoyed it. Loved the different characters in the story and how she picked her subjects.
Meep
It's a short funny story and fine as that; not enough here to have strong feelings about.

I was entertained, it made me smile, but having bought the collection I don't feel any urge to read on. There just doesn't seem a need for a sequel let alone three of them. I'm keeping them for when I need a giggle and hopeing to be proved wrong.

Characters are quirky and one-dimensional. Plot is all tongue in cheek with tail going just where-ever it pleases!

If you feel the need for something light and daft t
lesley dawn wallace
A calling for pleasure

A calling for pleasure is a great read loved it it's sweet an sexy an hot as hell a must read
Star
Cute

It was funny and cute. You ever need a succubus Rael is your man. It's a short story but it's part of a series.
Mandy Beyers
It was too short! (But, there are two more stories about these characters, so...) I enjoyed the concept - half-Valkyrie detective and his partner are searching for a succubus that has left thirteen or fourteen men dead and stumble across a male succubus (that they were unaware was possible) who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. After sorting out the who-dunnit aspec of the story and clearing Rael (or he cleared himself), the detective and the demon get together. The whole scene with the t ...more
Evaine
A Calling for Pleasure (Damned if You Do) by JL Merrow This little novella was a riot! Lars is a detective for theParanormal Enforcement Agency and Rael is a "hot little piece of demon tail" and the two of them make one of the most fun couples I've read about in a while. Jamie Merrow has a lovely, humourous voice in this tale and I found myself chuckling aloud on more than one occasion. Lars is sexy and Rael is too adorable for words. :) This was a really fun read and I'll be adding the rest of ...more
Tam
This is absolutely the kind of demon story I adore. It hit all the right buttons with a bit of detective work, a stoic hero, a twinky sexy demon and a prehensile tail. Oh my. Lots of chuckles for me as well, which always works. I understand there are some follow-up to this story that I'm very much looking forward to as I loved Rael and he was just so adorable and focused. *eyebrow waggle* :-) You can't go wrong.
Tamarrion Lash
Чудесная серия. Я авторку ваще люблю, но тут она оторвалась по-полной. Очень милая, с юмором написанная серия городского фентези про не-совсем-хумана детектива из отдела паранормальных расследований, его любовника-инкуба, его напарницу - злобную ведьму (люблюнимагу) и домашнюю саламандру по имени Китти.

Сюжеты простенькие, но оно все такое оптимистичное и мимимишное, что на сюжет уже и не смотришь.
Dee Wy
3.5 stars Lars looked at Rael's tail and said "Do you ever, uh, do yourself with it?" Rael's reply, "Well, we wouldn't want it to drop off from lack of use." Oh, Honey, this was a cute, free short.
k reads
Not a lot of depth but fun, nonetheless,
A lightweight sex confection.
Bergur Arnar
It was okay, but it was a bit too cheesy and too easy for my taste. They just instantly fall in love without a sigle problem? That's not very probable.
Melissa
This was a fun little read, two compassionate heros that got the bad girl - in more ways than one. I will be looking for the rest of this series - definately.
Thomaidha Papa
3.5 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Review to follow.
Melanie

See the Collection for my review of this and all of the Lars and Rael stories. http://wp.me/p220KL-1gx
Sair
he's got a prehensile tail
there's a cop

what more does a reader need?
obviously nothing

It was great!
Zandra
A fun read but the southern accents felt a little over-the-top and were a bit distracting.
Silencio
Overuse of the word 'Honey', but otherwise a good short story.
Nightcolors
Read for m/m team bingo challenge, round 5.
  • Hell Cop
  • The Flesh Cartel #10: False Gods
  • Devil at the Crossroads
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky, #2)
  • Sucks & Blows
  • Fragile Bond
  • An Inch at a Time (The Professor's Rule #2)
  • Flawless (Irresistible Attraction, #4)
  • Tomfoolery
  • First Watch
  • Lost and Found
  • Iron & Velvet (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #1)
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora
More about J.L. Merrow...

Damned If You Do (5 books)
  • A Blast from the Past (Lars and Rael, #2)
  • A Wish Too Far (Lars and Rael, #3)
  • A Glutton for Punishment (Damned If You Do, #4)
  • Damned If You Do: The Complete Collection
Muscling Through Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1) Pricks and Pragmatism Hard Tail Relief Valve (The Plumber's Mate #2)