Start by marking “A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Calling for Pleasure (Lars and Rael, #1)

A Calling for Pleasure (Damned If You Do #1)

If you summon this demon, he’s guaranteed to come!

With a killer succubus leaving a trail of desiccated corpses, Detective Lars Thornsson of the Paranormal Enforcement Agency knows he shouldn’t be falling for a suspect. But a hot little piece of demon tail like Rael is impossible to resist. Slender, snake-hipped, and dark skinned, he swears he’s innocent—of murder, at least
ebook, 2nd Edition, 25 pages
Published January 15th 2012 by J.L. Merrow / Smashwords (first published December 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Calling for Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Calling for Pleasure

Emma Sea
Jan 15, 2012 Emma Sea rated it it was amazing
Cute, fun and hot. Gets an extra star for being free. I had to shake myself a bit at the begining as the summoning scene reminded me so much of Rincewind being summoned in Eric. However, soon sorted myself in the right universe, and am now in lust with Rael and have to read the books in the series.
Zarah
Dec 23, 2015 Zarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
4.5
Really cute and hot. Extra points for Rael's tail and being a freebie, but minus for the cliched 'scorned woman turns murderous' schtick.
Cole Riann
Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

Lars and his partner Rochelle are investigators for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency and are frustrated they keep finding dead corpses and still haven’t found the succubus responsible for killing them. That all changes, however, when a young man is almost killed and tells them a tale of a male succubus whose description has Lars panting just from visualization. With a new lead to follow, Lars and Rochelle assume that he’s just a lucky, if somewhat stupi
Mandapanda
3.5 stars. I read both the shorter version in The Care and Feeding of Demons and this new expanded version. I couldn't really tell the difference from memory but anyway they're both very entertaining. The two sequels are great too: A Blast from the Past and A Wish Too Far.
Chris
Dec 26, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Very good short paranormal m/m romance about two detectives for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency trying to track down a succubus who's leaving a trail of dead guys behind her. The male detective (non-romantic detective pairing, not to worry!) becomes fascinated by a male succubus who's picked up during the investigation... This was a fun start to a (currently) three-book series that I'm hoping J.L. adds to. :)
Janeylou
Jun 18, 2016 Janeylou rated it really liked it
Cryselle
Jan 22, 2012 Cryselle rated it it was amazing
JL Merrow's biography explains that she's "frequently accused of humor," and I'm going to shake that finger at her again. From the opening scene between the demon Rael and the pimply teenager, aka the "sebum king" who's summoned him, to the climactic declarations at the end, this story pushes expectations in one direction and then takes a sudden left turn.

They’d been on this case for three weeks now, and were getting nowhere fast. The succubus they were after had put, at last count, thirteen men
Serena Yates
Jan 20, 2012 Serena Yates rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
This is such a fun read. Hilarious, sexy and with an intriguing story concept, it captured my imagination as much as it made me laugh. The story has been out for a while (as part of an anthology I just never got around to reading), and I’m really glad this re-release has drawn my attention to it.

Lars is a detective who gets to investigate and hunt paranormal criminals on a daily basis. I thought it was hilarious that he has no paranormal abilities whatsoever, even though his mother is an immorta
Tamarrion Lash
Sep 02, 2013 Tamarrion Lash rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Чудесная серия. Я авторку ваще люблю, но тут она оторвалась по-полной. Очень милая, с юмором написанная серия городского фентези про не-совсем-хумана детектива из отдела паранормальных расследований, его любовника-инкуба, его напарницу - злобную ведьму (люблюнимагу) и домашнюю саламандру по имени Китти.

Сюжеты простенькие, но оно все такое оптимистичное и мимимишное, что на сюжет уже и не смотришь.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cute succubus Rael meets sexy detective Lars during an investigation! I'll definitely want to read the second one, when it comes out!
Lily
I really enjoyed reading this one. There's humor, likable characters, a little mystery/suspense to the plot and some really smoking hot sex as well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Ярослава
Nov 28, 2016 Ярослава rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The idea is very cute (a male succubus shacking up with a cop investigating supernatural things that go bump in the night), but the execution is kinda meh. It features insta-commitment (basically, both characters turn up with their suitcases packed, all ready to move in together, to their very 1st date, aka their 2nd meeting), and the plot is so underdeveloped that the less said about it the better.
Sasha Ambroz
Nov 25, 2016 Sasha Ambroz rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Cracky, sometimes too cracky. But hot.
Calila
For such a short read this was really great. In fact, it felt longer than it actually is...in the best way. There's great world building and the chemistry between the main characters leaps off the page. I loved Rael, everything about him. His attitude just exudes from him. Lars was so gone on him, and it never felt like it was because Rael is a succubus(Incubus really). It felt like it wouldn't matter even if Rael was just a schmo on the street. Lars would still have fallen head first. Can't ...more
Teresa
4.5 Stars, short but sexy and interesting. I definitely want to read more!!
Daesy
Susana
Apr 27, 2015 Susana rated it really liked it
Detective Lars Thornsson of the Paranormal Enforcement Agency is looking for a killer succubus… and what he finds instead is Rael, a feisty little demon who finds in the handsome detective all he needs to be happy on Earth...
This is a short paranormal romance involving a hot succubus and a detective who happens to be half immortal (being a Valkyrie’s son). Rael and Lars get on like a house on fire from the beginning, making clear their attraction towards each other. I really liked Rael, he is fu
Bee
As you may have noticed I'm all about the freebies right now...so when one of my favorite authors has a book on special offer I'm not likely to resist. This one didn't really sound like anything I'd like, but it's way easier to take a chance on a book when you don't have to pay for it...maybe sad, but true. In the end my only complaint was the length...I wanted more!

Lars is a Paranormal Investigator on the hunt for a murderous succubus. When he catches Rael at the scene of yet another killing he
Helena Stone
Aug 14, 2015 Helena Stone rated it really liked it
More like a 3.5 rating. Fun though. Review to follow tomorrow.

The blurb gives a perfect summary of this book and I won’t be adding anything of my own to it. This was a fun romp with a nice mix of humour, danger and sexy-times. Personally I would have loved to see all the characters fleshed out a bit more because I liked them and felt I could have loved them if I’d known them a little bit better. But, Rael is the most adorable little demon and Thronsson is a wonderful mixture of tough and insecur
Meep
Jun 29, 2013 Meep rated it liked it
Shelves: light-fun-read
It's a short funny story and fine as that; not enough here to have strong feelings about.

I was entertained, it made me smile, but having bought the collection I don't feel any urge to read on. There just doesn't seem a need for a sequel let alone three of them. I'm keeping them for when I need a giggle and hopeing to be proved wrong.

Characters are quirky and one-dimensional. Plot is all tongue in cheek with tail going just where-ever it pleases!

If you feel the need for something light and daft t
Mandy Beyers
It was too short! (But, there are two more stories about these characters, so...) I enjoyed the concept - half-Valkyrie detective and his partner are searching for a succubus that has left thirteen or fourteen men dead and stumble across a male succubus (that they were unaware was possible) who is in the wrong place at the wrong time. After sorting out the who-dunnit aspec of the story and clearing Rael (or he cleared himself), the detective and the demon get together. The whole scene with the ...more
Evaine
Oct 02, 2013 Evaine rated it really liked it
A Calling for Pleasure (Damned if You Do) by JL Merrow This little novella was a riot!  Lars is a detective for the Paranormal Enforcement Agency and Rael is a "hot little piece of demon tail" and the two of them make one of the most fun couples I've read about in a while.  Jamie Merrow has a lovely, humourous voice in this tale and I found myself chuckling aloud on more than one occasion.  Lars is sexy and Rael is too adorable for words.  :)  This was a really fun read and I'll be adding the ...more
Magnolia
From Magnolia Reviews: Three Petals

Overall I did enjoy this really short story. The world Merrow created was interesting and her characters engaging, but the story was too short to fully develop any of it. The romance in particular needed more time to grow in order to feel believable. I would recommend this story with the caveat that readers keep in mind the limitations inherent in a story this short.

Read the full review on Maggie's website: http://magnoliareviews.weebly.com/rev...
Tam
Jan 17, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, demons-angels
This is absolutely the kind of demon story I adore. It hit all the right buttons with a bit of detective work, a stoic hero, a twinky sexy demon and a prehensile tail. Oh my. Lots of chuckles for me as well, which always works. I understand there are some follow-up to this story that I'm very much looking forward to as I loved Rael and he was just so adorable and focused. *eyebrow waggle* :-) You can't go wrong.
My Dichotomy Life
I feel as though everyone else has read a different book to the one I've just finished, and I'm so disappointed that it's by one of my absolute favourite authors and I still didn't like it.

It's easier for me to list what it wasn't, so here I go...

It wasn't :
Funny
Sexy
Interesting
Unusual
Romantic

The very best line in the whole book is

"Rael fixed him with a sultry gaze that wasn’t so much come-hither as get-your-sweet-ass-on-over-here-and-fuck-me."
Jimmy
Jan 08, 2016 Jimmy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Riptide Publishing
This story was not one of my favorites, but had just enough something to keep me reading until the end. That something is probably because it reminded me a lot of the TV show Lost Girl, & involves a secretive Preternatural Police Force too. It was a free read, so I'm really not out anything.
Yvette
Forgot to put a review when I became a member, some of the books I read before slipped through to reader cracks. I read to whole series it was okay. A nice little read, it will entertain when you need something good read.
Star
Apr 05, 2015 Star rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

It was funny and cute. You ever need a succubus Rael is your man. It's a short story but it's part of a series.
Thomaidha Papa
Apr 29, 2013 Thomaidha Papa rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal, demons
3.5 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Review to follow.
Melanie
May 29, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it

See the Collection for my review of this and all of the Lars and Rael stories. http://wp.me/p220KL-1gx
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Devil at the Crossroads
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Bump in the Night
  • Tomfoolery
  • Flawless (Irresistible Attraction, #4)
  • Blessed Isle
  • Sucks & Blows
  • First Watch
  • Hell Cop
  • To the Very Last Inch (The Professor's Rule, #5)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky, #2)
  • Lost and Found
  • Second Helpings
  • The Fifth Son
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora
More about J.L. Merrow...

Damned If You Do (5 books)
  • A Blast from the Past (Lars and Rael, #2)
  • A Wish Too Far (Lars and Rael, #3)
  • A Glutton for Punishment (Damned If You Do, #4)
  • Damned If You Do: The Complete Collection