Start by marking “The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story” as Want to Read:
The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story

The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
An elephant and its keeper have mysteriously disappeared from the town's elephant house leaving authorities baffled. “The Elephant Vanishes” is a free short story found in the short story collection The Elephant Vanishes: Stories, from Haruki Murakami – Japan's leading contemporary novelist and one of the world’s most important figures in postmodern literature. Story relea ...more
Audiobook, Audible Free Edition, 1 page
Published September 16th 2011 by Naxos AudioBooks

To ask other readers questions about The Elephant Vanishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elephant Vanishes

Melissa
Feb 02, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
These stories are very good and entertaining and often laugh-out-loud funny, but nevertheless, I think i just don't really like short stories. Half the time when I finish one, I think to myself, "What was the point of that story?" It's not the stories, it's me. I need to be lulled into caring about fictional characters over the long course of a novel. But I was fairly entertained by this book. I shall read a novel by this author at some point soon.
Julie
Jan 22, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, audible
It was an interesting and engaging short story. I would be curious to hear it in Japanese. My Japanese is rudimentary at best, but I wonder how the original and translation compare.
Vicky
I listened to a free short story sample of "The Elephant Vanishes," the title story from this collection, from Audible.

I can't exactly put into words how I felt about it, besides saying that I found it quite strange. It didn't inspire me to pick up and read the rest of the book, so I'm leaving this unrated and on my "first-chapters" shelf.

Audiobook Note: John Chancer was an average narrator, I didn't notice anything particularly memorable about his performance.
Crystal
Jul 10, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it
Not a whole lot going on in this short story, and I'm not quite sure WHY I like it, I just really do. My second short story of Murakami's (I read two from the book The Elephant Vanishes at random)and I like both a lot.
Bruce Chang
The Elephant Vanishes is the best in this series. In 1980s Haruki Murakami was in his early writing age and affected by antiroman obviously. This is his first book I read.
Juan Rodriguez Monti
Nov 19, 2015 Juan Rodriguez Monti rated it it was amazing
This brief story is really amazing. Read it. The book is deep and delicate. The story is really clever. Five stars.
Jonathan
Feb 04, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable collection overall. Some stories are puzzling and leave me cold, while others are quite engaging.
Thomas Dimattia
Sep 12, 2012 Thomas Dimattia rated it really liked it
Murakami is much more engaging in the original Japanese. This is a good start for that.
Janice
Feb 26, 2016 Janice marked it as dnf
Shelves: freebies
Own, likely won't read. Short story.
Yoo
Yoo marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Tameca
Tameca marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
b Straub
b Straub marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Jenni  HAMILTON
Jenni HAMILTON rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Verity T. Ease
Verity T. Ease marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Thaíza Loiola
Thaíza Loiola marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Klaire
Klaire added it
Jan 14, 2016
Sara Motahari
Sara Motahari rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Vladut
Vladut marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Ladislao Tapia
Ladislao Tapia marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Daria Mingaraeva
Daria Mingaraeva marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Hedieh
Hedieh added it
Jan 02, 2016
Davide Riboli
Davide Riboli marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Claire Staley
Claire Staley marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Farzaneh
Farzaneh rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • Skeeter: A Cat Tale
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Hour of the Time
Haruki Murakami (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am
More about Haruki Murakami...