Start by marking “Rick Steves' Ireland 2008 (Rick Steves' Country Guides)” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' Ireland 2008 (Rick Steves' Country Guides)

Rick Steves' Ireland 2008 (Rick Steves' Country Guides)

Who but Rick Steves can tell travelers the best way to see the Dingle Peninsula, Kilkenny, Dublin, Galway, Belfast, the Antrim Coast, and Portrush? With Rick Steves’ Ireland 2008, travelers can experience the best of everything the Emerald Isle has to offer — economically and hassle-free. Completely revised and updated, this guide includes opinionated coverage of both fa
Published December 28th 2007 by Rick Steves (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Ireland 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Ireland 2008

Erica
Apr 09, 2009 Erica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in "off the beaten path" travel
I resisted, I will admit, picking up a Rick Steves' guidebook ... by my co-worker swore by it and, my word, it was so much more digestible than the other ones I'd been attempting to slog through! It keeps things short and sweet, and focuses on the types of sites that I am interested in. The book focuses on helping you construct a great trip, rather than telling you everything there is to know about any noteworthy (or not so noteworthy) sight in the country. The writing is diplomatic, but doesn't ...more
Kelly
Mar 17, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as impressed with the "back doors" in this book as I have been with other guides of his I've used in the past. Maybe he's become too popular since I last went to Europe many years ago. Stayed in a B&B recommended in his book and it was nice, but also booked almost solid with Americans. Where's the fun in that? His sleepy back door town of Dingle felt very touristy, was the most booked up of any place we stayed in Ireland, and what the roads lacked in tour buses they more than made up for ...more
Tammy
Jan 30, 2011 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, travel
I was in Ireland for 14 days. I took a Paddywagon 10 day all Ireland tour (which was amazing!), so I only needed a guide book for Dublin. I still used it as a reference during the tour. I found it to be a pretty good resource. It would have been nice if there was more context as to why the interesting sites were worth seeing. Also, like most guide books, there is extensive advice on hotels, but that seems of limited use with the internet.
Kate
Sep 15, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves is a good guide because he showcases the best things to see and is honest about other things that aren't worth the time. His opinion comes out loud and clear, which bugged me at times, but he is sensible about price (Fodor's tends to cater to higher income folk in comparison). Rick's books are shorter too, so I suggest comparing them w/ another travel guide.
Dustin Wiyrick
Jul 30, 2007 Dustin Wiyrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to go to Ireland
Just returned from Ireland. This book never let us down in its suggestions. Where to stay, eat and see without spending too much or getting too touristy. I am convinced that I will never need to read another series of guidebooks when going to Europe.
Jason
Jan 09, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for our Ireland trip. In particular it helped us discover places like Dingle Town and Kinsale, which we never would have considered otherwise. Thanks to this book we learned that Ireland is about a lot more than Dublin!
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Dec 27, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Rick Steves gives good advice so that you can set priorities for what to see whether you have a two-day itinerary in Dublin or three-weeks to see more of Ireland. He gives a primer on pub etiquette.
Apr 15, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful but only for self guided tours. He leaves out whole chunks of the country. If Rick doesn't like it, Rick doesn't write about it. I found his tone a bit patronizing at times. I think I can decide for myself where I want to tour and where not, thank you.
Sandi Nussbaum
Jul 05, 2012 Sandi Nussbaum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We stayed in Cork, Ireland for 3 months when my husband was on sabbatical. We used Rick Steve's book on Ireland to navigate the area. We enjoy going to places that the locals appreciate.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it to be a good, informative guide. I would buy more of his travel books.
Christine Cantillas
i'm officially planning a trip to ireland for this time next year. this little book been a boon so far. love you rick steves...
Heather Ferguson
Helpful for my trip to Ireland and I didn't have to listen to Rick's voice.
Brenda
Mar 30, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Rick Steve is wonderful! He is very informative and knows his stuff. I won't waste my money on any other travel book now that I know how great his books are.
Feb 05, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Preparing for my trip in May. Full of detailed descriptions of places to see and do plus helpful tips written in a very accessible manner.
Meg
Jul 03, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still trying to get this trip to Ireland off the ground. Rick Steves is my favorite for European touring advice!
Latha
Nov 21, 2008 Latha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone planning a tourist trip to Ireland.
This book was how we planned our honeymoon in 2004! Excellent book with excellent recommendations and great practical advice.
Jessica
Mar 01, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
We are planning a trip to England/Scotland/Ireland this summer and we've gotten a lot of great ideas from this book. We'll see in June if it's as helpful as it looks!
Meg
I love this guidebook, it is written so that you get the most out of your trip and you don't waste your time on things that are not as important.
Steph
Jun 14, 2013 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to get my hands on the 2013 or 2014 one and take it to Ireland!
Steve Garfield
Dec 04, 2009 Steve Garfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was a great companion on our trip to Ireland.
Connie
Jun 11, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I used this on my three week trip to Ireland. It was indispensable. The information was current and accurate! Lots of great ideas for out of the way "non-touristy" adventures.
Scootmandoo
Scootmandoo rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Sean AKA Panky
Sean AKA Panky rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2008
Boris
Boris rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Emmeline
Emmeline rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Angelle
Angelle rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Regina
Regina rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2007
Gary Ellis
Gary Ellis rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • France
  • The Art of Alfred Hitchcock: Fifty Years of His Motion Pictures
  • Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook
  • Numerology, the Complete Guide: Volume 1
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 2: Math & Interpretation Techniques
  • Asteroid Goddesses: The Mythology, Psychology and Astrology of the Re-Emerging Feminine
  • Chiron: Rainbow Bridge Between the Inner & Outer Planets
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...