Start by marking “Dads Are the Original Hipsters” as Want to Read:
Dads Are the Original Hipsters

Dads Are the Original Hipsters

He listened to vinyl before you did. He drank whiskey before you did. He had a mustache before you did. Admit it: your dad was a hipster before you were! Based on the blog phenomenon of the same name, this book celebrates dads as the original hipsters. Vintage photos of real dads back in the day—in their short shorts and tight tees playing arcade games—accompany snarky ...more
Published April 18th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published April 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dads Are the Original Hipsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dads Are the Original Hipsters

Rich Rosell
Jan 05, 2013 Rich Rosell rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I enjoyed more: the constant jab at modern era "hipsters" (a term I use incessantly) or the acknowledgement that dads (hey, that's me) just may have been trendsetters. This is a fast read, with each page an old photo of someone's dad doing thing that the "hipster" crowd has adopted as their own thing, along with a couple of paragraphs of humorous observation from Brad Getty.

As a gift, I haven't quite determined if there was sarcastic intent from my daughter SamR. But the book's
Laila
Aug 31, 2015 Laila rated it really liked it
Your dad was using goodreads before you and he has endless reviews to prove it...

This was a fun, quick, and light read. Full of nostalgic concepts, amusing photos, and little jabs at today's hipsters, this book is perfect for dads and children of ~80's.
Fahad
Sep 18, 2013 Fahad rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
A funny and brilliant message that invades the hipster's psyche today. Getty throws in a good sense of humor and priceless old photos that depict the real hipsters of our world, our dads.

I got this as a birthday present, and its safe to say it was a great gift.
Loraine
Jul 08, 2013 Loraine rated it really liked it
Really funny. Although, the dads remind me more of my cousins in the 70's and 80's. My dad was still calling them all hippies.
Becca
Dec 31, 2014 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, e-reads
So, according to this, my dad was a mega-hipster in the 70s and 80s.

My mind cannot compute this.
Earl Grey Tea
Apr 18, 2016 Earl Grey Tea rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
This was a quick humorous book that I found on my sister's bookshelf when visiting her home. I was able to knock it out about 45 minutes and had a chuckle along the way. If I remember correctly, the retail price of this book was $12.95, but my sister was able to find it for a couple of dollars used somewhere. Personally, I would never pay full price for this book.

After living abroad for almost seven years, I haven't had too much face to face contact with the hipster community, so my ire towards
Paul  Hankins
Full of super photographs of "your dad" from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, Brad Getty explores how today's hipsters are actually borrowing from the genius trend-setting nature of "our fathers."

Knit Hats
Jorts
Beards
Bowties
Peacoats
Tubesocks

and many more early tends set by fathers are shared here--in no particular order. Each element is then used to admonish today's hipsters with a catch phrase, "So, hipsters, next time. . ." or "So, hipsters, before. . ."

There's a little bit of language and some adult
Elliot Chalom
Jul 31, 2013 Elliot Chalom rated it it was amazing
Funnier than I expected, and probably appeals to a broader audience than expected too. Definitely read it if you liked Stuff White People Like: A Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions - it's like that, but even better.

Check out my full review over at: http://2bitmonkey.wordpress.com/2013/...
Morgan
Dec 20, 2014 Morgan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Morgan by: my dad
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
My dad told me he had a book for me to read when I got to the house for Christmas. haha.

The pictures were priceless and the text was pretty funny too. Dad would probably give it 5 stars if he had a goodreads.

Very cute and probably would make a fun gift for christmas/father's day/birthday for a 70s/80s era kid to give their dad. (Most of the pictures seem to be from around these decades.)
Krzysztof
Sep 09, 2012 Krzysztof rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, 2012, reviewed
That was the longest 122 page book comprised mostly of pictures that I've ever read.

Each page followed the same formula: "Your dad did/had (activity/style) before you did and he has the (effect of activity/style) to prove it.

Chuck Norris and Most Interesting Man Alive cracks the whole way through, and unfunny cracks at that.

Good for highlighting the awesome things our dads did when they were young (a lot of true things in this book), but talk about a broken record.
Tofu Fairy
Sep 17, 2012 Tofu Fairy rated it really liked it
this book is so fucking funny! omg I lol'ed many times! I did not read every single full description but the pics and captions themselves were enough to entertain me! I loved seeing all the vintage 70s-80s photos. as a child of the 70s-80s they brought back tons of memories of my childhood and just cracked me up. Anyone who is currently my age or teen/adult children of anyone of my age will enjoy and laugh at this book!
Lauren
Jun 13, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Classic. LOVE the photographs, love the sentiment, and yes, it's all pretty much true. For those hipsters out there who think they're trendsetters...uh, look back at bit at your dad's youth. You're not the first. :)

This is a great glimpse into pop culture, history, tradition, family, and social interaction. Funny, fun, and a unique way to connect our ideas of who we are with where we come from. As I said, a classic...for past, current, and future generations!
Leslie
Dec 03, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok
Ok. I checked this out on a whim and because the front cover and title were catchy. I'm sure this might be a funny blog taken in small daily bites, but the format is so redundant when compiled in a book that it ruins the premise. Some of the pics are hilarious, but redundancy and foul-mouthed sections sort if ruined what could have been a funny homage to dads gone by.
Megan (Magic & Musings)
Jul 30, 2015 Megan (Magic & Musings) rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Of course my dad bought me this. I wish this wasn't based on a Tumblr, because it really suffers from every page being the same thing, except on a slightly different topic. The sentences are the same, the jokes are the same. However, I did enjoy the design of this book and some of the photos are absolutely hilarious. Definitely a joke gift book rather than anything to be actually read.
Keren Darancette
Feb 02, 2013 Keren Darancette rated it really liked it
I originally picked up this book because of the catchy title. There really isn't too much reading involved in this books, it's more funny photos from the 70s and 80s of dads that originated hipster looks and practices. I got through it in about 30 mins and it was actually really funny. I would recommend this one for a good laugh.
Kristal
Feb 13, 2014 Kristal rated it liked it
I just skimmed through this one...didn't really read it through. It's actually pretty funny, but I agree with other reviewers that there are too many words for a book that is supposed to be composed of mostly photographs.
Julia
Jan 19, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I really enjoyed reading it, though it just took me a couple of minutes. There're short descriptions or stories to every gorgeous vintage photo. Oh my god, loved it. So many fun- and true facts, and almost all of it described my dad.
Cynthia
Apr 01, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it
I loved the photographs, but the writing was too condescending and extremely redundant. I'm definitely following the blog on which this book was based, though! The pictures were great.
Kim
Jan 06, 2016 Kim rated it it was ok
meh... a picture book of photos of guys from the 60s and 70s, maybe even 80s... and throwing shade at the hipsters seems too easy
Mike Johnson
Mike Johnson rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Vianna  Tedder
Feb 10, 2013 Vianna Tedder rated it really liked it
Hahaha!
Kelly Funk
Kelly Funk rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2015
Ashley Lynn
Ashley Lynn rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Julia
Jan 22, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
This is a fun book to read casually, just flipping through the pages for a laugh. It's quite good.
Wallis
Wallis rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was ok
May 27, 2012
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Joey
Jan 12, 2013 Joey rated it it was ok
Okay. Nothing to write home about.
Samantha H
Samantha H rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Robert Michaelis
Robert Michaelis rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Garbage Pail Kids
  • I Has a Hotdog: What Your Dog Is Really Thinking
  • Daily Dishonesty
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot
  • How to Win a Fight with a Conservative
  • Look at This Fucking Hipster
  • Walter Potter's Curious World of Taxidermy
  • Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual
  • Zones of Exclusion: Pripyat and Chernobyl
  • Healthier Without Wheat: A New Understanding of Wheat Allergies, Celiac Disease, and Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance