Start by marking “The Unraveling (Wool, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Unraveling (Wool, #4)

The Unraveling (Silo #1D)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  6,799 ratings  ·  323 reviews
There is a legend in their past of an uprising, a war they have learned about, but have learned nothing from

Nobody knows what went wrong. Nobody talks about what happened. Such are the silo taboos.

Now, nearly two hundred years later, the people of the Silo will get a chance to learn more about that distant uprising.

They'll get to start one of their own...
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 166 pages
Published December 25th 2011 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unraveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unraveling

Nataliya
Wool stories are getting longer and remain pretty good. By part 4, sh*t is getting real and the story is getting grittier. The action picks up as we get to witness the uprising in the silo and see the comfortable but stifling order and safety unravel. We finally get to see what lies beyond the hills that used to make the boundary of the visible world for the silo inhabitants.

The characters remain well-written and easy to care about. I still love Juliette, she is a kickass heroine who remains be
Pavlina
This series is like crack. The first story was okay, yet intriguing and sucked me in. It just keeps getting better and better. I find myslef wondering how the silos were set up and how long the people have lived in them. This installement had me wishing the bad guy would get what he deserves, yet the good guys weren't really acting so good. I cant wait for the next installment.
CS
Wool #4 begins with a very long and drawn out flashback to when child Juliette went to see a play with her parents. This experience is apparently so riveting that child Juliette falls asleep several times (and consequently, so does the reader.)

The entire point of this very long flashback? Apparently just to inform the reader how Juliette got her name. That's it. If you expecting a parallel between stage directors controlling the actors and IT controlling the residents of the Silo - pshaw. No su
Camilla
Part 4 in the Wool series.. What to say, what to say..

In this part, we finally get some of the answers to the many questions that have been building up. Enough answers, though? No. Definitely not.

I still haven’t found out why I like this series. Honestly, I don’t know why. Yes, it’s interesting, and I do want to know.. more, but I’m not hooked in any way. And like I’ve said before, I find the tempo of the book very slow, even when they are running, it’s slow! But ok, if I had to run up 139 level
John
I enjoyed #4 just as much as 1-3. Without providing any spoilers, I'll say that you learn a number of interesting things in this installment, but not too much, due to Howey's enjoyable way of parseling facts out while keeping wanting more. Each time the action moves from one scene of the action to another, disappointment at being left in suspense is quickly replacement with the enjoyment of the next scene. No doubt everyone who has read this book is eagerly awaiting the 5th volume, due to arrive ...more
Chris
David Sven
This book deals a lot with the consequences of the revelations in book three. What happens to Juliette? What will Supply and Mechanical do next? How is Bernard going to try and cover things up this time?

Howey also uses a Romeo and Juliet analogy with quotes from the play at the beginning of the chapters. Our two lovers who never were are obviously Lukas and Juliette - two people from the opposing factions of IT and Mechanical - One appears to die at the end of the last book etc etc.

And we contin
Wade McGinnis
My ramblings on Wool 4:

More Juliette! More Juliette! Yep, she's my favorite character by far. But seriously... I enjoyed the book. Not as much as Wool 3, because I'm just enthralled with Juliette and this book meant I was away from her at times. I enjoyed the progression of her story and her interactions with / meeting of Solo and I can't wait to learn more as Juliette does! If that's the author's plan of course. But I think people (me) really like her confrontation of Bernard. I had a hard time
Rick
I thought this was a nice continuation of the series. I still feel that this was really one novel that was just broken into chunks to be released as a serial. I know some folks were not interested in moving past the first book (or maybe the second) due to the cliffhanger endings but might have had a different opinion if they treated all the volumes as a single work. This one definitely ended with a cliffhanger.

I liked how the story alternated between the two settings but did feel like the folks
Peter Cawdron
Just finished Wool 4, and Howey's growth in the maturity of his writing from book to book is evident... the scene is set for a grand conclusion but without the predictable tropes ruling the day
Jason
5 Stars

The Unraveling continues the story at a break neck speed adding layers of political poison along the way. Juliette is the real star and her story the fuel to Silo 18.

Howey does a great job at adding in the voice of other characters without distracting from this very tight plot line. I loved the unfolding and unveiling of the lies and evil spread from up top.

"“One of my people was taken, and it was the oldest of us, the wisest of us, who intervened on her behalf. It was the weakest and mo
Jane Stewart
Good sci-fi ideas, but lacks character development. Not enough showing. It drags.

OPINION ON THE ENTIRE SERIES:
There are five titles in the series. They are not complete stories. They are sections of one long story. The author published as he wrote. I suggest you buy the Omnibus Edition instead of the individual titles, which will save you $1, as of the date of this review. The Omnibus includes all five titles.

At the end of some of the titles I was angry or frustrated at the cliffhanger endings.
Učitaj se!
U ovom dijelu radnja se zahuktava, tenzije bujaju i otkrivamo puno toga o svijetu izvan Silosa, ali nekako sam pod dojmom da bi sve skupa moglo ići i malo brže... 4 down, 1 to go.
Jon
So beware about disagreeing with Howey on Facebook. He'll tag you in his reply but unfriend and block you so that you can't respond. Aka he likes to "appear" to engage you in a debate and then make sure there's absolutely no way for you to do so. Two-faced and disingenuous, coward.
Monique
Another amazing story in this series, and more amazing twists. What makes this especially good is that the line between good and evil becomes blurred. I hope there are many more stories to come in this series.
Chelle
With the unraveling, you would think it meant things were coming apart, but it's really just starting to come together.

LOVE. THIS. SERIES.

Can't hardly wait for Wool 5. But, you know, I will.
Jessica
Review to come (hopefully this week)...by far the best Wool book yet...I lovedddd it! Now I must somehow patiently await Wool 5 :*(
Profundus Librum
Végre kipillanthatunk a siló körüli világra is, és – poszt-apokaliptikus regényhez méltóan – ebben a kipillantásban aztán semmi köszönet nem volt. Ezek a részek kifejezetten tetszettek. De ez valahogy most kevés volt. „Sok” – az egész könyv nem volt „sok” – volt a fölösleges körítés, az üres duma, a kétdimenziós szereplő. A főgonosz IT vezér egész egyszerűen vicc, a regény üresjárataiban pedig óhatatlanul is a sorozat eddig elnézett logikai hibáin kezdtem el gondolkodni. Amiből van szép számmal, ...more
Noneya
This kept me on my toes the whole time! Every time I think that it can't possiby get any more thought-provoking, it does!

Jeremy Jones
Can't wait to read Wool 5, Hugh Howey writes with purpose around a well developed plot that keeps you guessing. A great read.
Debbie Wolfe
Best one yet!!!
Regina
#4 in the Wool series is my favorite, which is saying a lot. 1-3 are well-written dystopia fun, #4 is fantastic. #1, 2 and 3 are each told from the point of view of a new character. #4 remains with a character introduced in 3 but adds a new point of view.

What is so good about these books? The character development, the well written and fully fleshed out story that is both solidly built and fast paced. A world so thoroughly described and carefully written that I believe if I was dropped in a sil
Netanella
First paragraph: The walk was long, and longer still for her young mind. Though Juliette took few of the steps with her own small feet, it felt as though she and her parents had traveled for weeks. All things took forever in impatient youth, and any kind of waiting was torture.

The story of Juliette continues in this series that just keeps getting better and better for me. Juliette, the mechanic from the down deep turned sheriff, had been sent to cleaning at the conclusion of the last book. Here,
Steven van Doorn
This review has spoilers for Wool 1, 2 & 3, but not for book 4.
(view spoiler)
Kelley
I can't say enough about this series. Wool 4 is a great transition from book 3, wrapping up some questions and setting the stage for the final showdown in book 5. As soon as I finish one book, I immediately buy the next. Never thought I was a fan of sic-fi books until I read this series!
Jason
Coleen Cloete
So far, my favourite book in the series. I liked the idea of tapping into the minds of the characters to get first hand insight into what they feel, experience and how they relate to the emotional roller coaster ride events has put them on. I wonder how they will be able to portray this in a movie / series. I will certainly be interesting. I almost feel sad that I have only one left to read. How is that possible? I want more.......more... more.....

Juliet's character really came to life in this b
Evyn
least favorite so far, but still very good.
Larry
The short "series" (which, I guess, is really just a normal length book) was becoming a bit ho-hum. For me, the novelty of life in the silo was wearing thin… But then, the story starts to get interesting. What’s going on? Is there life outside of the silo? Terrifying – yes – but deadly? Survivable? OMG! – other silos? There’s an uprising! (I found the ‘military’ tactics interesting. How do people on the lowest of a 100 level silo attack the upper levels?) It’s Mechanical and Supplies (the worker ...more
SciFi and Fantasy...: The Unraveling *Book 4 Spoilers Only* 19 221 Feb 25, 2014 06:09PM
The Sword and Laser: Discuss Book 4: The Unraveling 28 187 May 23, 2013 12:18PM
  • The Runner (The Runner, #1)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • The Silo Archipelago
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.1)
  • The Sky Used to be Blue: a Silo story (Karma)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • Desolation
  • Greatfall: The Complete Novel
  • The Boat
  • Going Dark (Silo 49, #1)
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • Z-Burbia (Z-Burbia #1)
  • A Problem of Proportion (The Human Division, #11)
  • Doctor Who The Encyclopedia
  • Aftermath (The Remaining, #2)
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified
More about Hugh Howey...

Silo (3 books)
  • Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
  • Shift (Silo, #2)
  • Dust (Silo, #3)
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) Wool (Wool, #1) Shift (Silo, #2) Dust (Silo, #3) First Shift: Legacy (Shift, #1)

“Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one's conscience to get in the way.” 89 likes
“There were certain things, learned so young and remembered so deep that they felt like little stones in the center of her mind.” 28 likes