Start by marking “The Real Minerva” as Want to Read:
The Real Minerva

The Real Minerva

Will be shipped from US. Brand new copy.
Published January 13th 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Minerva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Minerva

Mmars
Jul 30, 2015 Mmars rated it liked it
2.5 rounded up to 3

While reading this book, I questioned much of the plausibility and some of the history, in particular that of the Mexican work crew. Having grown up in the 50s and 60s fairly close to where this book seems to be placed, I did not remember hearing of Mexican work crews in the 20s. Also, to my knowledge there was only one Dutch family anywhere near where I lived, the Dutch having settled further west and south. But it is never wise to trust one’s memory of history. A quick searc
Becca
Jun 28, 2010 Becca rated it it was amazing
I chose this because one of my Etsy friend’s name is Minerva and she’s awesome. :)

So it’s set in the 1920s for most of the story. But little is said or done that couldn’t have made it set today, which is a little sad…I’ll explain in a minute. It takes place in Minerva Minnesota and tells the story of a mother and daughter, a mother and daughter, and mother and daughter: Barbara and Penny, Cora and Phoebe, and to a lesser but no less tragic degree, Hazel and Irene. Barbara and Penny live with Ire
Stephanie
Mar 18, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting historical fiction read, but I think the best part about it was that the characters created by Mary Sharratt were so complex and generally likeable despite their flaws. I was really attached to them by the end!
Gaile
Oct 22, 2012 Gaile rated it really liked it
it is 1923. In Minerva, Minn, the owner if the factory, Mr. Hamilton has had to put his wife away. She contacted sleeping sickness. Thereafter he begins an affair with his live in hired woman, Barbara Niebeck. Her daughter, Penny suspected and after a flight, Penny flees and finds herself twenty three miles of town where Cora Viney has tried to have her baby by herself. Penny stays on to help Cora while back on the Hamilton place her mother continues her affair with her boss. Mr. Hamilton's ...more
Beth
Not quite as compelling as Summit Avenue, this book was still beautifully written. Sharrat is a master of characterization and getting historical details right. The plot parallels that of Summit Avenue, with its exploration of women trying to break away from limited gender roles, living on their own in defiance of society's expectations, etc. This book has a slightly darker viewpoint than her earlier novel--more violence, more focus on women's vulnerabilities in a society that forces them to be ...more
Beth
Sep 12, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
THE REAL MINERVA is powerful and beautifully written novel. Barbara, Cora, Penelope: three women's lives that SHARRATT intertwines in a beautifully choreographed tale. These strong, singular women's stories are about struggling surviving, living and loving fiercely and without compromise. The roles and societal structure that defined small-town life in the 1930s shape the destinies of Barbara, Cora, and Penelope. Each has a secret to keep. Each must find a way to escape and reestablish their ...more
Jill
Jan 19, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Probably a 4.5.

While the narrator, partly due to age, didn't break new ground, I thought that the parts of the book from her mother's point of view were fresher, if difficult to read sometimes.

The stereotypes of small town life, particularly Minnesota small town, were well-drawn. I found the desire for self-sufficiency matched with the desire for love and connection and interesting juxtaposition.

The characterization is strong too. Every character is written in such a way that you care about h
Ellen
Jul 01, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it
This was a pretty good story. Two grown women and two 15 year old girls each make choices that are, in the least, not in line with the norms of the day in rural Minnesota in the early 1920's and, at most, extremely desperate. The most interesting aspect for me was thinking about a "justified" murder. If you murder one person to save another, you have still killed someone. And if someone takes the blame to save the murderer, the one who killed may escape jail time and social stigma but still ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Dec 15, 2010 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed reading this book.It was a quick and an interesting read. It is the story about 3 different women who have in common that they are strong even though they might not know it.
Some of the plot was a surprise to me and that does not happen that much so that was nice. I am planning on trying to find this author's first book and i hope she will write more. Loved The Vanishing Point.
Julie
Jun 15, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
I loved Mary Sharratt's 'The Vanishing Point' so much so that I went searching for other books by this author. While not nearly as gripping as 'The Vanishing Point', 'The Real Minerva' was still a good read. This book took us back to an earlier time when women were challenged by far more issues that today are no longer accepted as 'the way it is.' Sharratt's 'Minerva' is a story of strong women overcoming various real events and challenges.
Jelan
Jan 02, 2014 Jelan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I don't very often read an entire book in a day, but I started the new year by reading the entire The Real Minerva. I was completely drawn in by the flawed, heroic, tragic figures of the three women who are the centerpiece of this book. The writing was wonderful in the way that good writing often it is... it carried me along with the story, painted pictures, provided glimpses into the different perspectives, and didn't get in the way. If you're looking for a great read this new year, try it!
Audrey Terry
Nov 02, 2014 Audrey Terry rated it it was amazing
I'd like to say that not very many books have made me cry...but I'd be lying. This is a case where all the little injustices pile up until they overflow. Luckily they're countered with a happy ending :)I'm a sap, I freely admit that now, haha. In any case, I loved watching Penny grow up into a woman that was able to understand her mother's sacrifices, and then seeing Phoebe grow in the same vein. This is just a beautifully written story that I don't feel is told often enough.
Ellen
May 09, 2012 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Minnesota during the 1920s, this is a story about three strong women who survive incest, domestic violence, harassment, and malicious town gossip. It's an interesting account of the limited roles available at the time for women and the sometimes desperate situations that uneducated women had to accept to support themselves.
Pam Wells
I picked this up at the library because it was set in MN. I read it in two days which is a rarity for me. It was an easy read about the complexities of women's lives particularly in the earlier part of the last century when women were limited in their ability to support themselves and the societal expectations. Mother , daughter relationships explored as well.
Sharon
Jan 21, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it
This is a good story. That said, I found it hard to suspend disbelief. I did have to finish this book that seeks to explain why women who appear perfectly ordinary might be moved/forced to commit horrific crimes. The compelling puzzle that kept me reading was how the author was going to explain the choices the women were inevitably going to make.
Linda
Oct 15, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Loved this - engrossing story, full of twists and turns, of scandals in small-town heartland. Women trying to break free from society's limitations, and more.
Beautiful characters and incredible ultimate climax. Wow.
This was a finalist for the MN Book Awards in 2005. Now I know why.
Natalie
Aug 09, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Another fab read from Mary Sharratt! I really loved this story, I found myself completely identifying with and loving Cora, and thought she was an amazing character! I couldn't put this one down at the end!
Celestia
Nov 22, 2009 Celestia rated it liked it
A coming of age story of a "hired girl" (servant) for a fascinating outcast woman whose farm rests just outside of Minerva, Minn. The story is good, with lots of twists, but it didn't really jump off the page and make me fall in love with the characters.
Judy
Jan 25, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing
Story kept me engrossed--characters and study of mother-daughter/child, husbands/wives, etc. seemed very poignant. Some examples of decent people facing very difficult situations and handling them, if not effectively, sensitively and with devotion.
Megan
Mar 08, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
Read this book! It kept me up late at night and I loved every minute of it. Even though I was mad at Penny at times for being so hardcore with her mother, I loved these three women who were fearless and strong and all the things I hope I am.
Pat
May 25, 2008 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark story of women who escape abuse and oppression through an abundance of blood, sweat, and tears. The plot remains well developed and coherent through unexpected twists and turns. However, much of the narrative did not hold my interest.
V
Jan 20, 2016 V rated it it was amazing
Loved it. This is historical, regional, women's fiction at its best. The main characters are perfectly scripted and the story is riveting. I thought the ending was also heartfelt, lovely and on point. What a great book!!!
Andrea Badgley
Jan 04, 2015 Andrea Badgley rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. It's been a while since I've found a book that made me want to put everything else in my life away so that I could keep turning the pages. Loved the characters in this one, and Sharratt really captures the depth and purity of relationships between women. (read 2010)
Sue
Sep 03, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I connected with all the characters. It is great to have strong women characters and a sense of triumph even in adversity. I thought the author did a great job developing the characters. It is fun that the author is from Minnesota. I recommend.
Gillian
Oct 12, 2009 Gillian rated it really liked it
This is a great story - I'm hooked!

Ok, i'm finished & as much as I wanted to keep reading & couldn't wait to finish...I'm sad I'm finished it! Utterly unputdownable. I'm thinking I want to read it again - need to check out some more books. Mary Sharatt, get writing please!
Julie
Dec 15, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
A book about strong women and their struggles during a time when truly strong women were only just emerging in small town America. It was a short, quick read, but a powerful and well written story at that.
Cassie
Aug 09, 2010 Cassie rated it really liked it
Katie
Dec 10, 2014 Katie rated it did not like it
I don't like books like this....too graphic, trying to be edgy. Yes, maybe if I kept reading, it would all have some sort of redemptive value, but I still feel like it is a cheap trick to try to pull the reader in with gritty details and torrid descriptions.
Summer
Mar 24, 2014 Summer rated it really liked it
Charming, intricate. No real bad guys in the story. Mostly folks just trying to get by. Some interesting information on the 1930s era. Quite a bit of incidental philosophy. I will definitely look for more of her work. Two murders, but they were part of the story, not a feature of it.
Vicki Marlowe
Jun 24, 2016 Vicki Marlowe rated it it was amazing
Our book club read this and ALL of us just loved it. The characters were unique and it was well written. Cora was my favorite though. We read Summit Avenue in 2002, another great book by her. Can you tell we all live in MN?

• The Disorder of Longing
  • A Thing of Beauty
  • You Don't Love This Man
  • My Father Had a Daughter: Judith Shakespeare's Tale
  • The Seamstress of Hollywood Boulevard
  • My Favorite Midlife Crisis (Yet)
  • The Turning of Anne Merrick
  • The Book of Fires
  • Radium Halos: A Novel about the Radium Dial Painters
  • Child of All Nations
  • Thanksgiving
Mary Sharratt is an American writer who lives with her Belgian husband in the Pendle region of Lancashire, England, the setting for her acclaimed 2010 novel, DAUGHTERS OF THE WITCHING HILL, which recasts the Pendle Witches of 1612 in their historical context as cunning folk and healers.

Previously she lived for twelve years in Germany. This, along with her interest in sacred music and herbal medic
More about Mary Sharratt...