Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1

Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1 (Soul Eater NOT! #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Ding-dong! DEAD-dong! Class is about to begin, and you don't want to be late on your first day of school! Join Tsugumi Harudori in the NOT class at Death Weapon Meister Academy, a school dedicated to training transforming Weapons like Tsugumi and the Meisters who will wield them. Many NOT (Normally Overcome Target) students aspire to join the elite EAT (Especially Advantag...more
Published July 24th 2012 by Yen Press (first published September 22nd 2011)

Avril Anderson
A really nice spin-off of one of my favorite anime: Soul Eater. It's really funny and the characters are not that bad. It's more like Soul Eater with moe added to it.
Megan Sanchez
If you haven't read or watched the original SOUL EATER, you are missing out on one of the best series in a long time. (And at the time of this post, all 51 episodes are streaming on Netflix and the manga series is being released in English from Yen Press.) My boyfriend and I fell in the love with the series a couple of years ago and when I heard that a companion series had been released, I knew I needed right away. Soul Eater NOT! follows Tsugumi Harudori, a brand new weapon student at the Death...more
Josh
Soul Eater NOT! is a spectacular manga that takes place in the same world as the original series, Soul Eater. I was excited when I first saw that there was a new series of Soul Eater, as it was the first manga I ever read. After reading the first volume, I wanted to read it again, and again, and again. It was truly spectacular how it kept the same spirit of Soul Eater, but added new problems and a whole new perception of The DWMA (Death Weapon Meister Academy). Atsushi Ohkubo continues to impres...more
Noura F
While the soul eater anime and original manga are very good, I can say this series is really awesome (more than Prussia?) and that I am still planning on finishing reading all of it.
Abrett
A very good manga! I can't wait to read the second one. My favourite character is Anya because she's hilarious and is so envious of Meme! Definitely worth reading.
Theresa ♫
Alright, this is my first review from my iPhone's goodread's app!

You know...the same app that updates the wrong status to the wrong book at the worst of times...T_T For this review, I hope for the best!

Anyway, if this does end up being a pretty lengthy review, it just proves that I handled all the ninjetic typing over an iPhone screen. (Keyboards are way more comfortable!)

Anyway...Soul Eater NOT...

My dearies, I started Soul Eater (the anime) not too long ago. IT WAS AWESOME!!! It ranks as #3 on...more
Serene
Many spinoffs have trouble standing on their own. They're usually just more of the same stuff as the original, and the reader needs to be a fan of the original to enjoy the spinoff and know what's going on. This closure to new readers is frequently what dooms them. Soul Eater Not does not have that problem. Someone who has no idea what Soul Eater is could read and enjoy Not. They would obviously miss some of the cameos and other treats like that, but they could understand what's going on just fi...more
It was adorable, fluffy, entertaining, enjoyable, and everything I didn't think I would enjoy from this pastel pink and purple spin-off of Soul Eater. And I loved the main trio of girls, especially pouty-faced Anya. I hope the anime adaptation is as enjoyable!

My full thoughts (with a probably unnecessary comparison to LOST) on the premiere volume of SOUL EATER NOT! can be read at my manga blog.
Amanda Wallace
Good beginning, nice introduction of characters. I don't think I'd be a fan of this if I weren't so obsessed with the original Soul Eater series! but for the sake of that obsession, I will see where this series goes, hopefully Soul and Maka are re-occurring characters in it.
Bethany Gallagher
I thought this was a really interesting read! It is the first manga I have read and it lived to the expectations I needed. I loved the graphics and the drawings, they were so detailed and...it was just amazing!
Shweta
Read this last night and it explained betterly since i had only read the second book first. Let's just am looking forward to more, and am hoping that there is a third book in the process.
Westerville
If you like Full Metal Alchemist, you'll like this. - Jess, Adult Services

Reserve a library copy.
Jess
So happy to find this continuation of the Soul Eater series. Read Soul Eater first! If you like Full Metal Alchemist, you'll like this.
Jay
My son recommended this book, but then said (once I had started it) that I might want to read some of the related "Soul Eater" books first.

Of the 6 sections in here, I really enjoyed two of them. My thing with mangas: I like the background story, but I'd like one frame that says "they fight" and then move to the end of the battle. I really don't need to see all the details of the battle, no mayyer how vcool the drawings are.

I do really like the main three female characters and their relationship...more
Adam Lane
Out of order, but Book 11 of 2014.

Review pending!
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
This takes place around the same time the regular Soul Eater manga takes place, except it follows different main characters.
Every once and a while though, you'd see your old favorites (Maka, Soul, Black Star, Kim, Ox, etc. No Kid for this volume though. :( ) and that was a nice touch.

I really enjoyed this manga, but the artwork was extremely poor. However, Atsushi Ohkubo is known to have crappy artwork, so I ignored it.
If you love Soul Eater, pick up this charming spin-off series.
Vixen
im not sure how he does it, but this series has the distinct flavor of his wit and style, but has a completely new sound. i love love love his art, and the storyline so far is brilliant! its pretty cool too because i remember asking myself in the original series "where is the third gorgon sister?" and now she has lace hair, and shes not too creepy and her boobs dont go down to her waist. so yayy! i also love how he captured the young girl butterflies so well. i cant wait for more!
Jenna
Finished volume two. Need to look this series up and see if it's supposed to be a reboot / Alternate Universe for Soul Eater or if it's the sequel, because I wasn't sure how to take each of the main SE characters (whether or not the events that happened in the SE storyline had happened to them yet). The drawing style doesn't seem as dynamic and dramatic as in Soul Eater and is a rather wishy-washy storyline so far. It started to pick up the pace slightly but still..
Emma
I picked this up expected a cute, fun Soul Eater spin-off, but there's some sturdy world building behind this volume that adds a lot to the anime and original manga.

It seems to be working hard to tackle themes the original series didn't, and it's a fascinating read because of that.
Jessie Radford
I have really enjoyed this series since it has came out, I don't care if people say they perfer Souleater. Don't get me wrong I love that series too. But this one is very refreshing. It's from a girls point of view who isn't very sure of herself and has just started DWMA so enjoy!
Warnie B.
A little different from the original Soul Eater series, but still just as much fun so far--I'm enjoying meeting the new characters and also getting to see many old characters again from a different perspective. Definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Jeremy
Jul 23, 2012 Jeremy added it
Cute, fun, predictable (after having watched the Soul Eater anime). The art is well done - buildings, dishes, outdoor scenes are rendered with the most ridiculous care.
Elizabeth
Hello my fellow anime lovers! This book is for all of those romantics out there! Although it isn't alllllll romance, it's certantly a book I enjoyed.
Vitor Frazão
Primeiro volume de "Soul Eater NOT!" está melhor construído que os dois primeiros da série original, até a nível de conceitos base e worldbuilding.
Yazmyne Stohner
soul eater not is not as good as Ookubos series soul eater
there is less fighting and a vague story line im sure it will get better though.
Kassandra
Good stuff. Decent artwok. Some panels seemed rushed artwise. More fun at the moment but action awaits!
DEAMON OF THE DEEP
really good read got it throught the post and read it straight away and it was brilliant
Doremili
Muy monas las niñas. y es bueno que esten dentro de la historia
Tessa
I think I might even like this better than Soul Eater Original Style.
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
  • Jiu Jiu, Vol. 1
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 35 (Fairy Tail, #35)
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 05
  • Gate 7, Volume 1 (Gate 7, #1)
  • Maoh: Juvenile Remix, Vol. 1
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 23 (D.Gray-man #23)
  • A Certain Scientific Railgun Vol 1 (A Certain Scientific Railgun, #1)
  • Flower in a Storm (Flower in a Storm, #1)
  • Alice in the Country of Clover: Bloody Twins
  • Kieli, Vol. 1
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 01 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 9
2018764
Atsushi Ōkubo (大久保 篤 Ōkubo Atsushi?), also romanized as Atsushi Ohkubo, is a Japanese manga author and fantasy artist known for his work on the manga series Soul Eater, which has been adapted into an anime. Okubo worked as an assistant under Rando Ayamine, on the manga series Get Backers. He also created artwork for various cards for the Lord of Vermillion game.

Atsushi Ōkubo was not a model studen...more
More about Atsushi Ohkubo...
Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1) Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2) Soul Eater, Vol. 04 (Soul Eater, #4) Soul Eater, Vol. 05 (Soul Eater, #5) Soul Eater, Vol. 03 (Soul Eater, #3)