Start by marking “On Thin Ice” as Want to Read:
On Thin Ice

On Thin Ice

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Seventeen year old figure skater Penny Trudeau has secrets. She’s not perfect, as hard as she tries to be. With a mother who is dying and a father who treats her like she’s invisible, Penny has every reason to lie. To escape the life that is spinning out of control, she falls into the arms of an older boy. But when she lies about her age and he finds out the truth, Penny l ...more
Published December 12th 2011 (first published November 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about On Thin Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Thin Ice

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to P.J. Sharon and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Penny is the youngest of 4 girls, and the only daughter left at home. Unfortunately Penny’s mother has lung cancer, and is dying right in front of Penny’s eyes.
Penny has more issues though; she has an eating disorder, she’s not sure if she wants to carry on figure skating, her father acts like she doesn’t exist, and she desperately wants to feel loved.
Is a new boyf
Cora Tea Party Princess
This was a surprisingly good read, but my did it run on and on. And there were some clichés. Well, a lot.

I think there's only one way I can properly review this...

THE DRINKING GAME:
It's basically like bingo with YA/NA clichés. First you make a 3x3 grid, then you pop some clichés into each little box. Every time you come across a cliché that you have on your grid you take a shot. When you get a line or four corners you down your whole drink. When you get a full house... Well, you'll probably be t
Hanna
What a book, sigh...

When I read what "On thin ice" was about, I couldn't help thinking about Jodi Picoult. I'm a huge fan of her books. She doesn't just write them. She paints the characters, the difficult situations, the storyline and "On thin ice" was just as good.

A lot of things go wrong in Penny's life. A mother with cancer, an eating disorder and boy troubles out of the ordinary,... I suffered with Penny, I smiled with her in the beautiful moments and I urged her on to share the truth with
♥Rachel♥
Emotional read but left me with a smile on my face.

Full review to come.
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I chose to read On Thin Ice because it was available on netgalley and I love all things related to the ice-hockey or figure skating and I was intrigued. I am also drawn to books that deal with illnesses and problems at home, so this synopsis basically said Brandi, read me.
I was not disappointed, because I really liked the narrator Penny. She is hard core scheduled and she takes on so much at home and at school. I relate with her because I am one of the people that was like that with home and
Lorelei's
A MUST read for young adults and beyond. Penny's story is about how she overcomes the twists and turns life puts in her way. Dealing with her mom's cancer and grief, the responsibilities that are passed on to her, learning the effects lying can cause, family issues to deal with and her future and those in her life.
Penny finds herself ON THIN ICE at the rink but especially in life, with decisions to make, consequences to deal with and understanding why things happen and how to make the best of it
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
Jan 27, 2012 A Tasty Read Book Reviews rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Upper YA,
Recommended to A Tasty Read Book Reviews by: PJ Sharon
Shelves: gifted-by-author
Seventeen-year old Ice-Skater, Penny, meets handsome Hockey hunk, Carter McCray, or Mac, and sparks ignite. Those sparks start a fire that burns hot and fast. But like all fires, the aftermath is never pretty.

There are YA books that hit on edgy issues such as, sex, bulimia, teen pregnancy, death of parents, finding out you are not who you thought you were, rape and parental stress to succeed....This book had ALL of these things, it was A LOT to take for just one young girl. Some of the issues co
Sue1958
I received this book from Net Galley with the approval of the author.

When I first opened this book to start reading it I was expecting the story to revolve around ice skating with its challenges etc
I was pleasantly surprised to see it was very much more than that.

This 17 year old has so much to deal with in her life, her Mother is terminally I'll, she herself is suffering from an eating disorder and on top of this, she's not sure she wants to remain skating for the rest of her life.

Its not all d
Patricia Yager
On Thin Ice was a great read and I'm not a teenager. The characters were well-developed and believable
and I couldn't wait to see what happened after every chapter. The teen angst was heart-breaking and
made me want to reach out and comfort the main character. Descriptions were superb and I just loved
everything about this book.
Elizabeth Curington
The story of Penny, a youngest child with a dying mom who still finds time to pursue ice skating, even though competition is no longer her dream. In a world that is falling apart, Penny tries to sneak a few normal moments, sneaking out to go to parties, finding a boyfriend, etc.

While the plot has several predictable cliche moments accompanied by crazy, out-of-the-blue twists, I found the book enjoyable as a whole. I have lots of students who would eat this up. Lurlene McDaniel and Dave Pelzer a
Alisha Tarran
17 year old figure skater Penny Trudeau is full of secrets. She tries to maintain the "perfect Penny" title but no-one's perfect. Penny's mother is dying of cancer, and her father acts like she doesn't exist, so you could say she has reason to lie. Penny's life is spinning out of control, she doesn't want to compete in figure skating, but her dying mother wants her to, and in order to do the lifts, she has to stay a certain weight, which means Penny isn't a stranger to an eating disorder. But wh ...more
First thoughts: I was expecting a book that centered around ice skating so I was surprised to find it was hardly even a back drop to the story, just another element that was swirled in.

What it's about: Penny loves figure skating but she doesn't like living up to her mother's dreams, not her own. Her home life is stressful so when she finds the perfect guy she lets him think she is older than her seventeen years. Trouble follows.

What I liked: The story kept my interest even though it wasn't at al
Harley Brooks
Grab your tissues. Sharon tugs every emotion in this Young Adult contemporary drama. I'm not sure I'd call it a romance per se, but the romantic elements play heavily into the plot. A story based on choice and consequence, Sharon does a great job of examining the frustrations and resentment of a teenager saddled with being a caregiver to an ill parent, faced with huge life altering decision that plays against her religious upbringing, and just as she thinks nothing else can go wrong, the bottom ...more
Jessica Figueroa
"Life experiences could change you in a way that made it impossible to be who you are and yet didn't allow you to be someone else."

Penny is a girl who is just trying to find her way. She loves ice skating but continues on her mothers request. Her mother is pretty much on her deathbed. Her father is more withdrawn then ever. Then the one thing good comes into her life is ruined by age. From there things start to go from bad to worse.

"Hiding from the truth is like trying to run away from your own
Marii
When I first started reading this book I thought that the fact itself that the main character's mother had cancer was a big idea to write about. It's always interesting knowing how people handle this kind of situations. But then the whole book started becoming a BIG DRAMA. Page after page Penny started going through an endless list of dramatic situations.

I think her mother's illness and getting pregnant were enough to turn Penny's character into a touching one, but all the others problems were
Melanie Meadors
This book was a page turner! I found myself hoping that Penny would come out on top and make the best of her situation, and I couldn't stop reading until I found out.

I know a lot of reviews said that they thought it was a lot for one girl to go through, and that even two of poor Penny's issues would have been enough for a touching novel. I feel like this book was going after a bit more than just being a touching story, though. I think readers could see a very real glimpse of what life as a troub
Kerri
"On Thin Ice" by PJ Sharon is about a seventeen-yr-old figure skater named Penny who is dealing with the fact that her mother is dying from cancer. When she meets handsome Carter McCray who is a twenty-one-yr-old hockey player she finally has someone who can help take her mind off her mom.

This book has a great concept with just dealing with the stress and grief that comes from having a parent who is dying. But then PJ Sharon throws too many other big issues into the pot with tough subject matte
Scarlett Janeway-keck
May contain spoilers
I totally love ice skating love watching it. Liked this book a lot but it ended too soon for me well to be frank I hate when any book ends cause I always want more to continue the story of the characters I learn about. I want to see Tyler grow up and how Carter and Penny deal with being parents so if you ever want to write a squeal I'm never opposed to them. I do not like that a girl who gets pregnant especially if she a minor waits so long to tell the father or never does is
Dena
I absolutely loved this story. My main reason for giving this book 5 stars are for the hard lessons that some people either have to learn or never learn at all. Dealing with adult situations at 17 are tough. Dealing with these issues when you might be broken is nearly impossible. At certain parts I felt especially saddened by the desperation that she felt because of her loneliness among other feelings. When your in a large family and you become overlooked and not loved it takes great strength to ...more
Natalia Heaney
It pains me to do this, but this book turned into religious propaganda halfway through, and the main character is possibly the most extreme Mary Sue I have ever encountered - who doesn't seem to care she tricked a man into committing statutory rape many times.

The book skips over issues like rape and death like they’re just minor blips in life – like catching a cold, and then you get over it the next week! By the time I reached the secret baby plot, followed closely by Penny being kicked out of h
Ariana Baxter
A very emotional coming-of-age story, pitting a young girl against her mother's dreams, complicated by her mother having cancer. As if that's not enough, Penny has a new love interest.

At times it felt like there were too many issues being tossed in the story, but Sharon handled them smoothly and kept the pages turning as you need to find out how each problem resolves.

ARC provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Lauren
On Thin Ice was a surprisingly emotional read. I thought Penny's story started out slow. Explaining her future skating career, mother with cancer and her self imposed responsibility of always being "perfect Penny" was a little too drawn out but once Carter came into the picture things changed. I was surprised at how often her story tugged at my heart. My favorite quote was at the very end:" Honesty takes courage. It requires us to be transparent to other people-to be vulnerable-to detach ourselv ...more
InD'tale Magazine
For the Young Adult genre, this book touches on a variety of adult themes in specific detail.

Read full review in the 2012 July/August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Lori Loves Reading
3.5 stars! I really enjoyed this book. The ending was a bit too perfect but was still happy with the outcome.

Sometimes I think books for young adults have a duty to portray teenage pregnancy as it is: hard, difficult and not easy. This book took a different route with it and I am not sure I agree with it. But that goes along with my feelings about the ending of this book and how it was all a little too perfect.
Lynn
This book was a bit dark and too heavy for me. So much was thrown at Penny that it made if a tough read for me. Luckily this poor girls lucks begins to change at the end of the book. But I like to read for escapism and this isn't that kind of book. At least it ended on an optimistic note.
Larissa
...drama, drama, drama! There was everything in this book...under age sex, underage drinking, teen pregnancy, abortion, parents with cancer, parents that have affairs, long lost parents, rape, gay siblings, eating disorters...you name it! A bit too much really but not much depth. It was ok!
Rhonda
Mar 13, 2012 Rhonda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys YA, Women's Fiction, Romance
Shelves: favorite-books
This was an amazing story of strength and hope. Ms. Sharon writes with such passion that the emotions hit straight to the heart. Her characters seem so real and you can't help rooting for them to overcome the obstacles put before them. I loved this book and highly recommend it.
Gerri Brousseau
I ejnoyed this book very much. PJ's characters are right in the middle of problems that plague young adults today - and she handles it perfectly. I recommend this - it's a good read.
Joanne
Not the kind of book I normally read, but I have a figure skater daughter. There were parts that made me cry. Made one think that there is always someone worse off than you.
Jess * Jess Time To Read*
The main character Penny goes through a lot in this book, and had a lot of issues. Sometimes it was hard to continue, but I really liked the ending.
  • Something More
  • First Love (Now & Forever #1)
  • Surviving Seduction (The Shattered World, #2)
  • Spectacle
  • The Card: A Van Stone Novel
  • Little Battles (Old Wounds, #2)
  • Bad Apple
  • Learning to Swim
  • Awakening the Mobster (Mobster, #2)
  • Down Aisle Ten
  • Smart Mouth Waitress (Life in Saltwater City, #2)
  • Cracked
  • How To Heal a Broken Heart
  • Turnagain Love (Sisters of Spirit, #1)
  • Hooked
  • Raspberry Crush
  • Unbroken Connection (Taken by Storm, #2)
  • Edgewise
PJ Sharon is the award winning author of contemporary young adult novels, including PIECES of LOVE, HEAVEN IS FOR HEROES, ON THIN ICE, and SAVAGE CINDERELLA, winner of the 2013 HOLT Medallion Award and the 2013 National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award. She is excitedly working on The Chronicles of Lily Carmichael, a YA Dystopian trilogy. WANING MOON, Book One in the trilogy, was a finalist in ...more
More about P.J. Sharon...
Savage Cinderella Heaven Is for Heroes Pieces of Love Waning Moon (The Chronicles of Lily Carmichael #1) Western Desert (The Chronicles of Lily Carmichael #2)