Start by marking “Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution” as Want to Read:
Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution

Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A brilliant new approach to the Constitution and courts of the United States by Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer.For Justice Breyer, the Constitution’s primary role is to preserve and encourage what he calls “active liberty”: citizen participation in shaping government and its laws. As this book argues, promoting active liberty requires judicial modesty and deference t ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Vintage (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Active Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Active Liberty

Brad Lyerla
In ACTIVE LIBERTY, Supreme Court Associate Justice Stephen Breyer demonstrates that there is a principled and distinguished alternative to "originalism" as a method for interpreting our constitution. This method, which he calls Active Liberty, avoids some of the problems that seem to be inherent to originalism.

His point of departure is to make a distinction between 'modern liberty' and 'active liberty'. Modern liberty is freedom from government coercion. Active liberty is the freedom to partici
Mark
Describes the concepts of the personal rights of active liberty (participation in government) and passive liberty (freedom from government interference), and discusses how judicial decision making can be influenced by taking these rights into account. This book is short and repetitive, but the fundamental importance of these rights in American society outweighs those shortcomings.
David
Food for thought for an Originalist like me.
Lucid and thought-provoking, it gives the reader valuable insight into the differences of how "liberals" and "conservatives" process the clauses of the Constitution. In his approach, Breyer for the most part is apolitical, and as a Justice has the repsonsibility to be so. But the explanations of his opinions lurch dramatically into the political realm, especially in privacy and speech issues.
A great read regardless of your own political leanings. Fair-
Lezlee Hays
Breyer is my favorite justice, so I'm slightly biased, but this book is really apolitical. He is only trying to explain the judicial process and the importance of interpretations of the constitution. I think a lot of people truly misunderstand the idea of 'activist judges' or the idea that judges appointed under a republican administration are going to be "conservative" or under a democratic administration are going to be "liberal". It doesn't quite work that way at all. "conservative" and "libe ...more
Phillip
This is a short(ish) book, but I found it hard to follow in some parts and repetitive in others. Granted, Justice Breyer posits his jurisprudence, one found on promoting the democratic purposes of constitutional government. I understood what he was saying (and it nice of him to use actual examples in the book, e.g., affirmative action, federalism, etc.), but I still found it more general language than specific. He does attempt to "take down" the so-called originalism school of thought, but it's ...more
Tom Sulcer
Why is a Supreme Court justice writing a book? Because he's trying to influence public opinion. And it's one more sign that the Supreme Court has become politicized, making essentially legislative decisions (Roe v. Wade, Brown v. Board of Education, and so forth). A glaring example of politicization was the Court's Bush v. Gore decision in which the Court essentially declared the winner.

The Framers never intended for nine unelected people to have such sweeping power. They're unaccountable to vot
Joey
Although Active Liberty ably makes the case that literalist methods of statutory and constitutional interpretation suffer from various shortcomings, it fails to convincingly articulate why justices should primarily emphasize the democratic nature of the Constitution in their decisions, potentially at the expense of other important considerations. Justice Breyer could have been more persuasive had he, first, explained why active liberty is a more important judicial polestar than, say, separation- ...more
Brian
Justice Breyer's central point in this book is that the Constitution protects both "modern," or negative, liberty--freedom from government infringement of individual rights--and "ancient," or active, liberty--an individual's right to participate in the democratic process. Breyer argues that both negative and active liberty are essential to the proper functioning of the government, and that courts should decide cases with these dual forms of liberty in mind.

Breyer's focus on active liberty is bot
Mick
The next time I read about a decision by the Supremes that leaves me scratching my head and wondering, "What were they thinking?", I've at least got this little book by Justice Breyer to give me one or two clues. ACTIVE LIBERTY: INTERPRETING OUR DEMOCRATIC CONSTITUTION is a blueprint explaining the components of judicial activism, and pleads its argument against what Breyer terms Constitutional "textualists."

The foundation of Breyer's premise has to do with the democratic compatibility of "anci
Withanhauser
The US Supreme Court, though ostensibly apolitical, is largely a product of the political—and popular climate—present in the United States at a given time. Justices are appointed by the President who, in trying to move forward his/her—and his/her party’s—agenda, will undoubtedly consider a prospective appointee’s jurisprudence and judicial record for suspected sympathies and beliefs. But, has it always been this way? In his book, The Nine, Jeffrey Toobin suggests that, over the past thirty years ...more
Kevin Black
Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution (Breyer)
I'm still in the tail end of this book but have read and thought about the main exposition of his ideas in the first half. I'd say I am glad to have read this, and I think it clarifies for me how Breyer and those who agree with his relatively activist constitutional interpretation can do so without being motivated entirely by contempt for the electorate and the legislature. Still, I am not persuaded by his main point. I think his a
Sean Rosenthal
I wrote a critique reviewing the book here: http://freeindividuals.wordpress.com/... I also posted it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/review/R35BBLMW...=

In Justice Stephen Breyer's book Active Liberty, he argues that the Constitution created a federal government embodying the principles of democracy and, as such, judges should defer to Congress as well as state governments as the representative bodies of the people unless they intrude on narrow fundamental rights. Though acknowledging negative
Rusty
This is a good primer on how the U.S.Constitution should work on behalf of the people. Justice Breyer defines "Active liberty" as "a sharing of a nation's sovereign authority among its people." After briefly demonstrating the history of active liberty, he then addressed its application in cases regarding speech, federalism, privacy, affirmative action, administrative law, and statutory law. While Justice Breyer means for this book to be read by the layman, it should also be read slowly and thoug ...more
Bethany
I really did read this with an open mind, I swear. I wanted to see how the more liberal 'evolving Constitution' justices explained their jurisprudence. But this was a real snore. Just not well written, no colorful examples, no personality really of any kind. In person Breyer seems pretty fun, but there's no evidence of that in here. Not to mention that his jurisprudence makes no sense to me still - he's trying to encourage democracy by ruling the way he does? Really? By taking abortion and capit ...more
Alina
At first, this book seems more confusing than helpful -- theoretical vagaries are not very enlightening. However, Supreme Court Justice Breyer really gets going about halfway through, when he starts using extensive examples from previous court decisions, applicable cases reviewed elsewhere, etc. Then, he makes his points and makes them well. In particular, the chapter on Administrative Law (most pertinent to my interests) is excellent in regards to providing clear concrete cases to provide instr ...more
Kl
I didn't really like this book. He talked too much about our "democracy" when he should know that we are a Constitutional Republic. He also talked a lot about the Supreme Court interpreting the Constitution. No where in the Constitution is the SC granted the power to interpret. I was often left wondering if he has even read the document he talks so much about???
As Thomas Jefferson said, "The judiciary if given too much power might ruin our republic, and destroy our rights." Mr. Breyer definitely
Maggie
excellent. it will take a few listens for me to gather together all of the richness presented by breyer but it will be time well spent. and as a 65 year old, absorbing these ideas beats doing crossword puzzles to keep my aging brain agile. his views help me to re-invest in hope that "truth will out". for that alone i am glad to have listened to this audio book. in addition, his ideas provides me with a clarity i was seeking with regards to the supreme court.
Jason
an alternative view of judicial interpretation, in contrast to the strict textualist Scalia view. liked the focus on looking to how a given law/controversy should be interpreted in light of the constitutional purpose of promoting an active democracy on the individual level - in addition to the usual focus on the "negative" liberty of the bill of rights. Breyer thinks we need to look at both types of liberty and makes a persuasive case in favor of his view.
Christopher
Justice Breyer does a good job of laying out the case for a living constitution, though I he could have delved a bit deeper into the examples. It is a great intellectual discussion rather than an argument, giving the basic ground rules and simple examples.

The workability of the theory he lays out, though, depends on how well his theory holds up in difficult and intricate cases. That would have made it more convincing and doubtlessly more engrossing.
Grant
Even though it's a fairly short book, it's a little hard to get through this book. However, it gives a great framework for why liberals choose to act they way they do, and gives the basis for understanding the philosophy of the activist liberal justices. I would say that his arguments should be based more on a fundamental way of thinking and why that process is superior to other philosophies held by other justices.
Mike Horton
Good book by a current SCOTUS Justice (Breyer) who provides his theories on the role of the judiciary in our governmental process. I must admit that I've not always agreed with Breyer (he's a little to the left of me, but not by much), but I enjoy his judicial philosophy as defined here. A must-read for anyone interested in the study of American Law.
Eli
Justice Breyer is truly a 21st century jurist. This book showcases his brilliance and ability to consider American law from a whole new perspective. Not an easy read, and requires a careful study but well worth the time of anyone interested in American legal development.
Ronald
Disappointing on many levels. Doesn't hold a candle to Judge Bork's many works. I'll summarize "active" liberty for you: We're the judges, we know best, we need more power, and the "negative" liberty of the Founding Fathers is holding us back. Downright scary in some parts.
Sean
SCOTUS Justice Stephen Breyer continues a tradition of essentially Libertarian interpretations of the US Constitution, contributing his analysis of precedent and meaning to the broader body of interpretations about Constitutional Law
Adrienne
Oct 08, 2007 Adrienne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in theories of statutory and constitutional interpretation
If you read a Matter of Interpretation, you should read this book. This book is a short exposition of Justice Breyer's theory of statutory and constitutional interpretation, and that, quite simply, is what makes it valuable.
Gil
Aug 19, 2007 Gil rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Legal Eagles
This book is awesome. I really liked a lot of the constitutional discussion that Breyer details in this book--especially his views on civil rights and liberties. Highly recommended. It is a really short read.
Mathalus
I started this after I read The Nine, but it is extremely hard to get through. I wish I could push through it and pick up some anti-Constructionist tips.

(Update. I did not finish this tiny book).
Josh
Mar 03, 2010 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
The underlying point to this was very interesting, and a different take on the living constitution than I had read before. However, it reads like a very long speech, and is incredibly dry.
Bryson
This was a pretty fascinating little book by Justice Breyer. The idea of active liberty, or the liberty of the ancients, was interesting and definitely something worth considering.
Raimo Wirkkala
This book is based on a series of lectures and, unfortunately, it, for the most part, reads like it. His overall thesis is interesting as are sections like the one on affirmative action.
  • The Conservative Assault on the Constitution
  • Five Chiefs: A Supreme Court Memoir
  • The Common Law
  • Freedom for the Thought That We Hate: A Biography of the First Amendment
  • Becoming Justice Blackmun: Harry Blackmun's Supreme Court Journey
  • Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court
  • Justice for All: Earl Warren and the Nation He Made
  • The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice
  • Louis D. Brandeis
  • America's Constitution: A Biography
  • A Matter of Interpretation: Federal Courts and the Law
  • An Introduction to Legal Reasoning
  • Supreme Power: Franklin Roosevelt vs. the Supreme Court
  • The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing America and How to Get It Back on Track
  • How Judges Think
  • John Marshall: Definer of a Nation
  • Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary
  • A History of American Law
Stephen Gerald Breyer is an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Appointed by Democratic President Bill Clinton in 1994, and known for his pragmatic approach to constitutional law, Breyer is generally associated with the more liberal side of the Court.

Following a clerkship with Supreme Court Associate Justice Arthur Goldberg in 1964, Breyer became well-known as a law professor and lecturer
More about Stephen G. Breyer...
Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View Breaking the Vicious Circle: Toward Effective Risk Regulation Administrative Law and Regulatory Policy: Problems, Text, and Cases Regulation and Its Reform America's Supreme Court: Making Democracy Work