Start by marking “Wind-Scarred (The Will of the Elements, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wind-Scarred (The Will of the Elements, #1)

Wind-Scarred (The Will of the Elements #1)

Ezra Hawkins is going to change the world.

Although, honestly, there isn't that much world left to change. After the Great War that nearly destroyed the Earth, mankind has been reduced to a single city: Sanctuary. Hidden from the ravages of the world, the last scions of humanity have eked out their existence through hard work and ingenuity, managing survival, maybe even a
Published December 9th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Wind-Scarred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wind-Scarred

David Sven
Dec 25, 2012 David Sven rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
So I’m looking at the cover, and its fantasy right? Except on the first page we are on a space ship and there’s a space elevator and there’s a place called Sanctuary that exists in some sort of force-field bubble that protects it from the rest of the world that’s been turned into an uninhabitable wasteland from some war 500 years ago. So we got an advanced tech society in a post apocalyptic Earth. Yep – SciFi. Except we soon get to venture outside the “bubble” and we find the world is far from ...more
Meg
Apr 25, 2012 Meg rated it really liked it
What a great start to a trilogy! I enjoyed Wind-Scarred immensely, though it did have a few hiccups, including a meandering plot and a romance that lacked finesse. But the overall story was good, the concept unique, and the characters incredibly well-developed. I’m looking forward to reading book 2, Water-Seer, now available.

Characters: ***** 5 Stars
Ezra is brainy yet courageous, a scientist born into a family that controls the knowledge of worm-hole technology. Swept into a secret society, Ezra
Scott
May 24, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
I will have to say that Wind-Scarred is the beginning of what has become one of my favorite series this year. Granted only two books have been released at this point, but I've been drawn in by the magnificent characters and the unique story. Ezra Hawkins is a member of the privileged elite, his family legacy has set him up for life and he has the brains to continue to honor their memory.

In the past there was an event that caused humanity to isolate and protect itself from complete destruction.
Jeffrey Poole
Feb 14, 2012 Jeffrey Poole rated it it was amazing
I truly love sci-fi books...

This book was no exception. We're introduced to Ezra, a character living in the same city that the rest of the people have been living in for a milennia, the only known city left to exist. The society is comprised of Legacies, namely each family has a claim to a certain type of technology, which they have perfected and kept secret, thus assuring their place in the upper echelons of the city.

Ezra's family legacy is wormhole technology, a field which comes easy to him.
Preston Ray
Mar 02, 2012 Preston Ray rated it really liked it
A fun read. The author has built an interesting world, I particularly liked the blend of "magic" with technology. After the first couple chapters the story moved well and was hard to put down.

The formatting on the Kindle version was good.

My biggest criticism would be the characters felt a bit one dimensional. Some of the dialogue revealing motivations was a bit stilted. I felt like I was watching a made for sci-fi channel movie or something at times. Not enough to get in the way of the story bu
Jessica Buike
Jan 27, 2012 Jessica Buike rated it liked it
The formatting for the Nook was poorly done, making the story look like it was written in short, choppy sentence fragments. That made annoying to read. There were also some grammatical, spelling, and editing errors that could be fixed.
The storyline kind-of felt like a spin on a classic favorite, "Brave New World", but mixed with the magic of "Harry Potter" and the humor and adult subjects of the show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." So, it was a little unoriginal, but the mix made for an interesting
Tanisha Peck
Jan 09, 2014 Tanisha Peck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
For some reason I picked up this book months ago, read one chapter and put it down. It wasn't until recently that I decided to try and finish my "in hiatus" books that I finished it. I thought it was going to be scifi so I put it back down until I was in the scifi mood.
This book if more fantasy than scifi. They mention space a couple times and talk about wormholes, but that's about it.
I can't believe I put this down and it took me several months to pick it up again. It was great!

World building w
Camilla Hansen
Dec 15, 2012 Camilla Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The plot had some interesting turns and made you want to know more. The characters are quite likeable and even if it feels like you only get to know them shortly as some might not appear all the time, you get a very specific impression of them very quickly. The book has a good pace and an intriguing world, which you will want to hear more about. All in all a very interesting piece of work.
Michelle
Jan 27, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Though it started off a tad slow, Wind-Scarred was a great read. By the end I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the magic system, and the science fiction elements were presented in a way that even a fantasy lover like myself wasn't put off. I felt for the characters and found myself drawn in to their adventures. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.
Jeri
Oct 07, 2014 Jeri rated it it was ok
just could not finish it. read the first 4 chapters and lost interest. the blurb made it sound good but it didn't go anywhere
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Brandy
Brandy rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2015
Fantayssia
Fantayssia rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Tara Hnat
Tara Hnat rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Myles
Myles rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
CarmanAshley
CarmanAshley rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Intersection
Intersection rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Tony Basile
Tony Basile rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Kelvin
Kelvin rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
Lauren Douglas
Lauren Douglas rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Jason Mullins
Jason Mullins rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Levi
Levi rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Hariseldon
Hariseldon rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Jolie
Jolie rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Sky Luke Corbelli is not a jedi.

He spent his youth swimming, playing chess, climbing mountains, and working at the San Francisco Zoo. The man has literally been bitten, clawed, constricted, quilled, or otherwise assaulted by more animals than most people could shake a stick at.

He majored in mathematics by day, with an emphasis on chemistry and physics. By night he delighted friends and colleagues
More about Sky Corbelli...

The Will of the Elements (3 books)
  • Water-Seer (The Will of the Elements, #2)
  • Child of Lightning (The Will of the Elements, #3)