Invasion: Alaska (Invasion America, #1)

Invasion: Alaska (Invasion America #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The invasion of Alaska has begun. And the Third World War may not be far behind.

In this controversial book, Vaughn Heppner explores the theme of a shattered America facing the onslaught of the new colossus in the East: Greater China.

The time is 2032, and the Chinese are crossing the polar ice and steaming through the Gulf of Alaska. They have conquered oil-rich Siberia and...more
Published December 9th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services

Mike (the Paladin)
This book surprised me. I suppose because I wasn't impressed by the cover-art I didn't look for much in the way of a novel. I was wrong, this is a good book.

Why is it a good book (you ask inquisitively)? Well, from the first I was interested. The book follows a war that takes place 20+ years in the future. it is told from the point of view of individuals on both sides of the conflict and from the point of view of the "leaders". With an overview of general events and closeups of military actions...more
Chip
David Weberesque, only with more wooden characters, more military technobabble, and more jarring use of italics for emphasis - but fewer vampires.
Mike (the Paladin)

Bcoghill Coghill
Awful book even considering the genre, this is still an awful book. I am an Alaskan. The author probably visited or read a tour book but I can't believe he knows Alaska.
Even without that, it is still an awful book.
Thad
I had no problem getting through this book, and I did enjoy the story/concept. However, it wasn't without a few drawbacks.

The big positive side of it was that, to me, it passes the smell test. That is, most of the story seemed entirely plausible and not just some fantasy. The events and descriptions really do feel like they could happen in the future as it is written here.

The first negative was that the author spent a great amount of detail describing the weaponry, vehicles, and aircraft. These...more
Chris
This series sounded so good I went ahead and bought the whole series before reading even the first book. I haven't been disappointed so far. It has a realistic plot and well thought out and written characters. I liked the idea of the Militias being involved makes it seem more realistic when more than likely during this time the military had been drawn down. I'd recommend this book to anyone who would like to read a near future military thriller. Now on to the next in the series.
Andy Palmer
Written in the vein and style of Red Storm Rising, Invasion: Alaska presents a plausible futuristic war scenario. As with RSR, you get the Strategic view, Operational view, and Tactical view by using disparate characters from both sides. It was a fun ride and I look forward to reading the further books in the series.
Dayle
Really interesting and thought provoking..futuristic but not in a sci fi way. I have absolutely no military training or knowledge so I don't know if any of the weapons/vehicles exist or are in development..
That was a very awkward sentence! But I really did like the book and I'm reading book 2 now.

Bruce Baker
Focuses a great deal of the minutia of several characters lives and not much on the bigger story. On audible the reader is rather dry and impersonal. I hope this serves as background for the second in the series which i just got. Great premise that could have been done better.
Scott
Similar to Tom Clancy's epics -- in particular, Red Storm Rising -- Invasion: Alaska gives an all-sides view of a Chinese invasion of Alaska in 2032. China is now pre-eminent, and the US a mere shadow of its former glory. But the US controls the grain, and China needs that grain to feed its masses. Already controlling the Siberian oil, China decides on a sudden invasion of Alaska to grab the American oil fields, and use them as bargaining chips for grain.

This was quite a fun read, even if the ch...more
Luis
I like the book very much, not Clancy, is well written, character are well thought and in my opinion, it may make you think what is China is the next superpower?
Robert
Interesting and I suppose plausible. I liked this first book enough to proceed with the second. It certainly has the makings of a good series. We'll see how it develops.
Kurt B
Good book. Really liked the topic. Tough to listen to at times especially when America's Armed Forces were taking it on the chin. The performance wasn't all that great on the audio but I got used to it as the book went along. Worth the read or the listen.
Hakan
Interesting story about China which grew to superpower status and America which lost the same.

I enjoyed reading the near-future war story Heppner creates from the usual tropes, seasoned with starving chinese population, an abundance of boy childs following the chinese one-child-rule and american isolationism. Just about the only thing keeping me from choosing five stars is the sometimes heavy-handed way in which he tends to describe chinese technical superiority which is countered by the naked h...more
Greg
This is a Tier 1 book, plain and simple. I think my only beef was that the first quarter+ was character and story building, but even that part really added to the rest of the later story.

If you like military fiction, one with a science fiction element (it's 30 years in the future), if you loved books like Red Storm Rising or Team Yankee then you'll very probably like this book.

Iain Gray
Reminiscent of Clancy's Red Storm Rising but with more concentration on characters in the midst of the fighting. Fast paced and thought provoking read.
Chris
Unfortunately not good. The premise is interesting from considering threats to the US. That is it. The story was extremely disjointed and poorly written. There were many ridiculous points to the story. One that almost made me put the book down was a sudden, extremely brief, encounter of passion that had absolutely zero bearing on anything. It was just thrown in for what I don't even know. Furthermore, the description of weapons and warfare were not believable. Alas, I won't be reading others in...more
Nancy
I thought that the storyline had potential when I got this book. Way too many unnecessary repetative acronyms for me. Weak character backgrounds. I know this was fiction but the president launching nuclear weapons on invaders on US soil because he thought a female analyst brought him luck, really!?! I still think that the idea has potential for a good read just not in this book.
Ryan Helm
Had a really slow start, picks up a lot though part way through. It was odd trying to pick out what I thought was really over the top unlikely, and what was just my own sense of patriotism making me biased. A good action/wartime read by the end. It felt pretty realistic with the interaction of politics and strategy causing the best plans to go haywire on both sides.
Budducci
While I enjoy the genre, the writing jumped around a lot and I often felt like I missed part of the story. I also felt the characters were sometimes random in their behavior, and pretty shallow.
Brad T.
Really liked this book, good action scenes. Could have been helped a bit by a better editor but overall a surprisingly good read for the cost.
Timothy Baxley
Really enjoyed this read. He has two more in the series I will be reading as well. Really makes you think about how easily it can all come apart.
Shaft
If you like stuff like John Birmingham's alternate history/military thrillers than you could do worse than check this out.
Bob
May 09, 2013 Bob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A fun to read book by an author I haven't read before. This is a series and I will likely pick up another one.
Scott
Great read. Reminded me of the great war novels by Tom Clancy like The Bear and The Rabbit and Red Storm Rising.
Michael J
Surprisingly good, it reminded me of a Tom Clancy book.
Craig Malton
This was a very good 2nd book in the series.
Matthew
Good action book, of what could be...
  • The Cost of Victory
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
  • Going Home (Going Home, #1)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One #2)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Starship: Rebel (Starship, #4)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • Siege of Titan (Star Crusades, #1)
  • Hammerhead
  • The Scars of Ambition (The Cumerian Unraveling, #1)
  • No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead)
  • Never Sound Retreat (Lost Regiment #6)
  • Battle Earth (Battle Earth #1)
  • Refugees (The Remaining, #3)
  • West and East  (The War That Came Early, #2)
Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1) Bio-Weapon (Doom Star, #2) Battle Pod (Doom Star, #3) Cyborg Assault (Doom Star, #4) Planet Wrecker (Doom Star, #5)