Start by marking “Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales #2.5)

Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales #2.5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  2,520 ratings  ·  254 reviews

It could only happen in a fairy tale.

Lady Lucy Towerton:
Plain and tall. (According to the lady herself.)
Titled and irreproachably proper. (According to her fiancÉ.)

Until, overnight, she becomes

Lady Lucy Towerton:
Heiress. (Thanks to an aged aunt’s bequest.)
Belle of the ball. (So say the fortune hunters of the ton.)

In charge of her own destiny (finally!), Lucy breaks her en

Published December 6th 2011 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Winning the Wallflower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning the Wallflower

Laura the Highland Hussy

4.5 flames
This was a wonderful little story about a girl who feels tall and awkward, so when the most handsome man in Society asked her to marry him-even though she knew it was because she couldn't say no (she thinks she has no prospects), and she knew he needed her title (his mother caused a scandal when she was younger by marrying beneath her station)- Lucy says yes.

Cyrus has a Plan, that's Plan with a capital "P." Nothing on his list involves any form
Beanbag Love
A novella that also serves as a prequel for the next book: The Duke is Mine. This is my first Eloisa James and I really enjoyed her writing. The story is very simple which makes sense as it's so short, but it was engaging throughout.

What was truly diabolical, though, was the inclusion of the first three chapters of each of the other books in the "Fairy Tales" series. I've ordered all that are available now and I'll be gorging myself on smart heroines and difficult heroes for the holidays.

I'm re
Karen Booklover
I know it probably dosent deserve 5 stars. But I'm going to give it anyway , coz it made me so happy!

I loved everything about the book , the hero , the heroine and I thought the length was perfect . If it had been extended more , I probably wouldn't have liked it as much !
Becky
I loved this story! My only complaint is that I wish it had been longer. Almost half of the novella's pages are actually sneak peaks for other Eloisa books, which is fine except that as I was keeping an eye on where I was (page-wise) while I was reading it I was quite surprised when it just suddenly ended. I would have loved to have seen a bit more at the end, although the epilogue was fantastic.

Favorite parts of the novella:

Lucy--great character. I loved how she ended up coming into her own an
Bridgett
What a silly little book! Certainly not correct in the details, but oh so funny written!
Sometimes I don't mind a little incorrectness in a historical romance. So what if it isn't accurate and the heroine blurts out some phrases that nobody back then would have understood? Does the story flow? Do you want to read just one more line? Then it's a good book! Job well done! :)

I like romance novels now and again. I like them to be a bit steamy even. I LOVE historical romance novels. So when I stumbled
Anne

After reading The Duke Is Mine (#3 in her Fairy Tales series), I wasn't chomping at the bit to jump back into that world. I didn't find the last book's characters all that fascinating, and there was such a slim connection to the fairytale that I felt kind of ripped off. This book wasn't much different in terms of the 'fairytale' part. I still have no idea if it was based on any particular one, 'cause it seemed more like a general Poor Girl Gets Some Money kind of story to me.
But at lea
Aly is so frigging bored
Dec 18, 2011 Aly is so frigging bored rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Evereyone, even if they don't love historical romance
A delightful novella from Eloisa James. She is one of my favorite authors ever, and I don't care how many times I'll repeat that.

Even though it was short, it had very likable characters. Lucy was so funny and smart, I love that in a heroine. I liked that she decided she wouldn't settle for someone who didn't love her, not may HR heroines care about that. Cyrus was so proper, arrogant and had a temper, even though he seemed so stayed, my favorite type of hero :D they go down so hard that it's a p
Nikki
4 stars.

This cute, fun novella is a great segue into the soon-to-be-released The Duke Is Mine and reminds me of what attracted me to Eloisa James in the first place. Well-written and humourous, it was a sweet holiday read that has me excited to receive my pre-ordered copy of TDIM.
Lucy doesn't hold out much hope for her chances of marrying for love, she is taller than most men and rarely even gets asked to dance at the balls she attends. When Cyrus asks her to marry him she knows it is only because he wants her title. His mother caused a scandal when she married a mere solicitor and Cyrus is determined to win back the family status. Lucy is attracted to him though and secretly quite pleased to be marrying him. Everything changes when she becomes an heiress, suddenly she h ...more
A.
Noooooo, why did it eeeeeeend? I wanted it to just go on and on - mostly because I wanted to see Lucy and Cyrus really fall in love. That happened in a blur, didn't it? They just fell right in. But I'm all right with that because this novella is D for DELIGHTFUL. I very much enjoyed the emphasis on respect and communication, and Cyrus' honesty - his ability to accept valid criticisms of his character and actions, and to then improve upon himself - was as welcome as Lucy's recognition of her own ...more
Kathie (katmom)
This was a charming novella!

SHE is tall, she thinks TOO tall...she IS a wallflower.

Which is why HE chooses to propose to her.

HE doesn't want "fuss" in his life. Surely this tall woman, who sits along the walls won't EVER be a scandal in his life.

That was before Lucy received a HUGE inheritance...and her mother insists she dump Cyrus...

But she doesn't WANT to, he's gorgeous...and she's attracted.

She kisses him...and WOWZA...he kisses her back...and he's knocked asunder...then she dumps him...

I lo
Jishi
Why can't Eloisa James direct my life?
Dragana
This is not a sequel to When Beauty Tamed the Beast, it is not related to that book in any way. This is a prequel to The Duke Is Mine. I usually like historical romances with wallflower theme, but this novella did not manage to engage my attention.
Sheila Melo
Sweet Novella in The Fairy Tales Series

WINNING THE WALLFLOWER is a novella in the Fairy Tales series. It is the story of Lady Lucy Towerton who is engaged to Cyrus Ravensthorpe Who is using her as part of his plan to return his family to aristocratic society after his mother married the family solicitor. When Lucy becomes an heiress, her mother wants her to break the engagement in order to marry a titled gentleman. When Cyrus losses Lucy, he begins to really see her and recognizes that he had ma
Marie
Bintang 3.

Satu lagi kisah cinta dan perjuangan untuk mendapatkannya. Kisah cinta dua anak manusia yg berbeda status ditengah tengah kehidupan zaman para bangsawan masih memandang status kebangsawanan adalah segalanya dibandingkan apapun. Walau akhirnya status yg hilang akhirnya kembali berkat kepercayaan dan kerja keras.

Cyrus putra dari putri seorang duke yg menikahi pengacara keluarga bertekad menikahi Lucy putri ketiga seorang Earl untuk mendapatkan status dan posisi dimata masyarakat kalangan
Duchess Nicole
Some novellas work just fine given the amount of pages they cover. This one isn't one of those. The characters were so interesting, and the beginning of the story seemed to be leading somewhere that I really wanted to go. But the ending felt rushed, and nearly every character involved needed to be fleshed out a bit more. I wanted more from the H/h. The only way to get it, though, is to move on to the next book.
Robin
Lucy Towerton is relieved when Cyrus Ravensthorpe requests her hand in marriage. She knows she is overly tall and will not have many chances to marry. But after becoming engaged, Cyrus really doesn't pay much attention to her. When Lucy receives an unexpected inheritance, she becomes an heiress who no longer has to marry an untitled Cyrus. Lucy doesn't know what to do. Should she break off her engagement to her fiance, or let them be caught in a compromising situation to ensure a marriage.

This w
Virginia
Short and funny, this novella was a great way to start the new year. Plus, this story has me eagerly anticipating James's companion novel, The Duke is Mine. There were several laugh out loud moments and I appreciated the characters and dialog. All in all, I am pleased!
Lisa
This was the first book of E. James I've read and it looks like it will be my last. I mean, what's the point when you have to skip so much. It just really annoys me when people mistake physical attraction for love. Stupid--in what could have been a good story.
Courtney
I love the idea of gently retelling classic fairy tales and have been thoroughly enjoying this entire series. Like the rest of the series, this story has a healthy dose of wit and banter between the characters. While it is related to the book that retells the Princess and the Pea, yet this story was entirely new. Like in the other books, yes, the sensibilities and phrasing of the characters is entirely modern, and yes, I agree that the characters are a little down on themselves and each other fo ...more
Carolyn F.
I just loved this story. I use the word "love" too much, how about - I just adore this story. Had me smiling and crying. I'm a sucker for hurt feelings - I always feel bad for the underdog. Wonderful love story, great ending.
Suzie Quint
3.5 stars.

A sweet, charming novella. The plot is a simple and straight-forward. Given that it's a novella, that's to be expected, but it's why I prefer longer stories, but given the length, it's delightful.
Loraine
The first two-thirds of the story was very likeable and had a great storyline. But the last third was spoiled by a too-mnuch-information tryst between the hero and heroine and a very abrupt ending.
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Marissa
Book provided by the author for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Lucy Towerton who, just as her name suggests, towers over most men of the ton, is a wallflower – a woman destined to sit on the sidelines and watch while other women dance. She is currently engaged, thanks to an arranged marriage, to Cyrus Ravensthorpe, a businessman and the son of a lawyer and a duchess. Lucy’s mother would rather her marry someone of the ton, someone without scandal (Cyrus’s
Keri
This was a sweet short read. It was really too short for me be beleive that the love happened that fast, but I did like Lucy.
Angela Noviana
Love the story, it's simple and sweet :)
Really like the ending and the epilogue.
Elaine Mcdonald
Sorry, but I was somewhat disappointed in this book. Maybe it was just too short for me.
Mary
I promise you will fall in love with Lucy and Cyrus!!.. and the epilogue is wonderful!
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • The Lady Most Willing...: A Novel in Three Parts
  • Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5)
  • To Love a Thief
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more
More about Eloisa James...
When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) Paris in Love The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)

“In case there is any question in your mind," he said, cupping her face with his hands. "What I want, what I most desire, the loveliest sight on this dark earth, is you.” 11 likes
“Yes, it's quite amazing how I continue to shock my mother even after all these years together” 9 likes