Start by marking “Your Creative Writing Masterclass” as Want to Read:
Your Creative Writing Masterclass

Your Creative Writing Masterclass

If you dream of being a writer, why not learn from the best? In Your Creative Writing Masterclass you'll find ideas, techniques and encouragement from the most admired and respected contemporary and classic authors, including Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Anton Chekhov. Jurgen Wolff, bestselling author of Your Writing Coach, helps you translate these insights into ...more
Published February 16th 2012 by Nicholas Brealey (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Your Creative Writing Masterclass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Creative Writing Masterclass

Avel Deleon
Jul 03, 2016 Avel Deleon rated it really liked it
The summary says it all.

If you dream of being a writer, why not learn from the best? In Your Creative Writing Masterclass, you'll find ideas, techniques and encouragement from the most admired and respected contemporary and classic authors, including Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Anton Chekhov. Jurgen Wolff, the bestselling author of Your Writing Coach, helps you translate these insights into action to master your craft and write what only you can write. From Robert Louis Stevenson to Mary S
Tracy
Sep 17, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, library, 2012
Full of great inspirational nuggets and practical advice with quotes and examples from the masters.
Shaye
Oct 01, 2016 Shaye rated it really liked it
I found this book very insightful, and the many ways to go about writing a novel listed by the author quite helpful. I really enjoyed the advice from many authors, such as Dickens and Poe, that was scattered throughout the book.
Alexander
May 14, 2015 Alexander rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I wasn't sure what to expect when I walked into this book, but I'm glad I read it because there's plenty of things in here that will be useful for years to come.
The great thing about this book is that it deals with pretty much every aspect of writing. Not just the writing itself, but also how to deal with criticism, tips that might improve your daily routine, and even more. The book consists mostly of quotes from famous authors, and Wolff isn't exactly picky - he has done a surprisingly good job
Thomas Edmund
Nov 14, 2016 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-writing
In Your Creative Writing Masterclass, Wolff successfully combines quotes, flash biographies, his own insight and advice together to create an enjoyable and informative piece on writing. What stands out is the huge variation in opinion and technique across 'classic' authors. Wolff appears to effortlessly summarise these differences and direct accordingly.

Wolff bridges the gap between step-by-step writing guides and more general 'on writing' pieces. The lessons learned from this book are quite sub
Christina
Feb 15, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Jurgen Wolff delivers excellent advice for writers of short stories, fiction, and screenplays.

As a creative writing teacher, I would use Your Creative Writing Masterclass along with Lajos Egri's The Art of Dramatic Writing.

You won't find a better pairing.

I'm going to buy the Jurgen Wolff book because it's the most useful I've read in a long time on the art and craft of writing.

Buy The Art of Dramatic Writing too while you're at it.
Nazire
Aug 16, 2015 Nazire rated it liked it
This book is great for someone who has been writing for a while and needs a highlight of common issues regarding writing. It's also great to hear what the masters have said concerning many aspects of writing. It is however not for beginners. This would make a horrible first "how to write" first book. Definitely not a masterclass. There isn't much substance, context, and instruction. It's a good addition to any aspiring writer's library. Not a good start though.
Carina
May 15, 2013 Carina rated it really liked it
This book brings together everything all shorter books on Writing focuses on, with its quotes from impressive authors of success in the past and present and tips and ideas on how to create your character and narrative, the book is the crème de la crème of books on writing! It takes some time to finish which I think is a plus from a book on writing, in my opinion I want something that delves into the advice extensively rather than skim them over. Recommended!
Michelle Lynne
Sep 07, 2013 Michelle Lynne rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think I expected too much out of this book, but I did enjoy the sections that invite the reader to think about their own work and consider what he is saying, really forcing you to pay attention and put this new knowledge to use.
Daniel Ferguson
Jun 04, 2014 Daniel Ferguson rated it it was amazing
A collection of writing advice, quotes, exercises and tips doesn't get much better. A textbook that I enjoyed reading. This does everything right by me.
Blue Caeruleus
Jun 15, 2012 Blue Caeruleus rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I find that reading this has provided me with some sound advice and much needed ecouragement. I was iffy about it at first but now I'm quite glad that I bought it.
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Hayley Thorpe
Hayley Thorpe rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Stephanie Schneider
Stephanie Schneider rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Brett Buckley
Jun 08, 2014 Brett Buckley rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
A fun book full of ye-olde wisdom.
Stevie
Stevie rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2013
Katja Michael
Katja Michael rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2013
Izzi
Izzi rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Georgina Price
Georgina Price rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
SaDenot
SaDenot rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Headley Mist
Dec 17, 2015 Headley Mist rated it liked it
Writing for dummies, however ambguous might it sound.
David
David rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Michaela
Michaela rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Cree Cullimore
Cree Cullimore rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jurgen Wolff is a writer and creativity and writing coach who divides his time between London and Southern California. He has taught at the University of Southern California, the Academy for Chief Executives, the University of Barcelona, the Pilots Project, and workshops around the world.
He has written nine books including “Your Creative Writing Masterclass” (Nicholas Brealey Publishing), “Creativ
More about Jürgen Wolff...