Start by marking “Billy and the Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)” as Want to Read:
Billy and the Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)

Billy and the Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  3,659 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Collectible Title Paperback
Published September 1st 1987 by Little Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Billy and the Boingers Bootleg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billy and the Boingers Bootleg

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
470th out of 515 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

tmll
Jan 06, 2008 tmll rated it it was amazing
Hm, let us quote the Billy and the Boingers (well, Mucky Pup) song, "You Stink But I Love You" included as a seven inch in the first few pressings:

You make me sick
You really stink girl
You make me sick
But I love you

Friggin' brilliant. To me, maybe not to you. Opus is playing a goddamned tuba while Bill D. Cat twangs his tongue!! What a joyous cacaphony with which to make a wild rumpus!

Also, I will forever love the neurotic Michael Binkley. I will forever love him in the manner that excludes Outla
Varmint
Feb 21, 2008 Varmint rated it it was amazing
bloom county at it's height.

i still have my copy with the vinyl "death tongue" record inside. why can't i find this on itunes?

i grew up in iowa city in the eighties. after school i'd wander down to the arcade. i wondered, who's the adult who has the time to hang out a play video games all afternoon? somebody told me it was berke breathed. and that he was something called a "cartoonist". there began my lifelong ambition to draw pictures for a living.
angrykitty
Apr 04, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
another great bloom county book. i just love how bill the cat was just so anti regular comic strip. when i was younger, i always felt that when i was reading bloom county, i was reading a strip that wasn't meant for kids to read....i mean come on....it was on the same page as the family circus and for better, or for worse.....
Jr
Jul 09, 2008 Jr rated it it was amazing
Dude! This came with a freaking record by Billy and the Boingers! I used to have a T-shirt from their American tour. U Stink but I Love You is one of my favorites. Seriously, this book had my crying with laughter when I was a kid. And I still love it as an adult.
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing
Bloom County will always remain in my heart as one of the best comic strips ever. Although it had a relatively short run, the characters the Berke Breathed created can never be forgotten. In this book, the storylines are extended and there are rarely any one-shots.

This book has some of my favorite storylines, like Deathtöngue and Lola. I find these strips to be extremely entertaining. I love seeing Opus dressed up like Gene Simmons in Deathtöngue. That just cracks me up!

You just can't go wrong
Tim
May 23, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
Was introduced to Bloom County in the high school years. This was a laugh out loud funny book! Now I'm not as enamored with its politics, but it's still a good commentary on the times.
Ben
Apr 01, 2007 Ben rated it it was amazing
The older I get, the funnier Bloom County gets.

If I'm not mistaken, this book came with a vinyl recording of a couple of Billy and the Boingers singles. Brilliant.
J.M. Hushour
Jul 06, 2015 J.M. Hushour rated it it was amazing
Freshly alive and formerly communist Bill the Cat starts a heavy metal band, Deathtöngue, with Steve Dallas as manager. However, once conservative America catches wind and the band winds up testifying before Tipper Gore in Congress, they become Billy and the Boingers.
Once again, this rips the intestines out of the morbidly obese gut of America in the late Eighties:
Sean Penn breaks Steve's spine for photographing him. Opus receives erroneously a billion dollars from the Pentagon to do space defen
Michael
Dec 28, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing
The ESSENTIAL comic strip collection of the 1980's, and the only one that I know of to use the words "Caspar Weinberger" as a punchline.
Evan
Nov 27, 2007 Evan rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, I wanted to live in the world of Bloom County where anything was possible.

I still do.
Karen
May 13, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Is this the one that has the line "George Bush is a Twinkie" in it? Oh, I laughed and laughed.
Charles
Jul 30, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
My favorite of the Bloom County collections, although I love them all.
Chuck
Jan 23, 2008 Chuck rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Susan
Feb 22, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
A startling find at Goodwill recently, with several other comic books from the 1980s. It still has the bootleg record! Dare I try to play it?
More than a collection of giggles and guffaws, Berkeley Breathed makes fun of the times with witty repartee from interesting and fully developed characters.
Eric Fritzius
May 06, 2015 Eric Fritzius rated it it was amazing
I believe this was my first Bloom County collection. I immediately went back and bought the back catalog of collections.
Ray Dunsmore
Mar 02, 2014 Ray Dunsmore rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A charmingly snide satire of popular culture in the 1980s and all the shallow vacuousness that America drowned in during those snow-blind self-inclined hellscape days. Thank god we've moved past those problems, am I right? What? I'm not right? We're still just as stupid and self-obsessed as always? Well, shit.
Eric
Dec 22, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
A depressing look into 1980's hair metal excess. Bill the Cat's rise, and subsequent fall, as the tongue-strumming leader of the short lived, but highly influential Deathtongue almost serves as a cautionary tale for anyone with dreams of rock and roll. After alienating friends, fans, and bandmates; Bill the Cat finds himself in the Betty Ford Clinic with a monumental decision to make: risk everything for a chance at stardom, or give up his dreams and save his own life. A harrowing, introspective ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jan 23, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
Opus is the man, well a man in penguin form. Excellent comics to cheer you up on a down day. I read a few every morning to start my day off right. Very recommended
Fishface
Feb 10, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, cartoons
I've read this many times and will read it again. All superlatives.
Rand
Oct 26, 2014 Rand rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
ack
Kaethe
Jul 30, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
I recently learned that what Breathed really wanted to do was make movies. Is it wrong to be pleased that he didn't immediately achieve that goal?
Deodand
Feb 25, 2011 Deodand rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most widely read books in my high school. Bloom County was massively popular in the late 80's/early 90's - I remember a talent-show featuring an Billy and the Boingers impersonation, complete with ersatz tuba.

The comics herein still funny to me today, even though this comic is very much of its time. A short Wikipedia course in contemporary American politics should bring any latecomers up to speed.
Alex Stone
Sep 09, 2009 Alex Stone rated it it was amazing
Just had to get some Bloom County out there. I haven't done enough research lately to confirm that this is the best book, but I did just read it over a series of evenings before bed and enjoyed it as much as I did back in the 80's. Somewhere I have the recording of the 2 Billy and the Boinger songs that originally came with this book
Mat Brewster
Aug 11, 2011 Mat Brewster rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
For whatever reason Bloom County was the cool comic when I was in 8th grade. I have distinct memories of the cool boys bringing this one to class. I haven't read the comic since Breathed quit ages ago but I found a bunch of the books at a used book store and have been thoroughly enjoying the strip once again.
Q.
Feb 25, 2013 Q. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-as-a-kid
I wish I still had the square record this book came with. Every once and a while the songs will pop up on my iPod. U Stink But I Love U magically got stuck in my head while I was doing chores and that's what made me add this book to my GR lists. I love this book, such good memories.
Michael Christopher
Jul 26, 2011 Michael Christopher rated it it was amazing
A collection of some of the most well-thought-out and insightful comic strips ever to come out of the States: unflinchingly critical of the flaws in US culture, brutally honest about human nature, piercingly sarcastic, and unfailingly witty.
Spudsie
Aug 31, 2008 Spudsie rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloom-county
The best rock band evah....Billy and the Boingers :-)

"Take it Milo!"
"Take it where"

Bill going to Russia

"Star Trek" missle defense system

Lola Granola....sniffle.....he could have waited for me....sniffle
Mti Librarian
Aug 11, 2012 Mti Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, 2012
Everything I know about history and politics during the last 40 years I've learned from Bloom County and Doonesbury. Let me tell you, they are a whole lot more entertaining than my "History of the 20th century class".
Andrew
Mar 10, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
The Bloom County books are hard to beat, though the political and cultural references may stump those who weren't aware in the 80s. Facial expressions and pure creativity show Mr. Breathed's brilliance.
Rena Sherwood
Oct 01, 2015 Rena Sherwood rated it it was amazing
Damn, I miss Bloom County. This came with a very good 45 rpm flexi-single. If art is to place a mirror up to the universe, then this is the perfect portrait of life in 1980s America.
  • The Bride of The Far Side
  • Still Pumped from Using the Mouse
  • Pass the Loot: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...